Denver Guys

PDA

Seafarer12
August 9, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hello,
I am heading to FT. Collins for two weeks with work. I am going to have a lot of free time after classes and on the weekend. Dose anyone have any good reloading or gun stores in the north Denver area. I know they are having a gun show next weekend up there but I am not sure if it is worth going. I emailed the people and they said it was a 400 table show. Kind of small for 8 bucks. Any other ideas are welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Denver Guys" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
August 10, 2008, 02:04 AM
You, my friend, will need to go to Jensen Arms in Loveland ASAP.

They have tons of gunbroker auctions as well as a website. They also have lots of my money.

I've heard good things about the Tanner Gun Shows, although I haven't been. I went to one on I-70 & Chambers Rd which was pretty decent.

jlbraun
August 10, 2008, 02:23 AM
In Fort Collins, Rocky Mountain Shooters Supply is pretty good.

230RN
August 10, 2008, 11:57 AM
My son says Grandpa's Guns in Longmont on the east side of Main Street is pretty good. Was only in there once (it's a long trip for me), got a couple of boxes of .22 Mag, one for free because there were a couple of rounds missing. Tells you something, though, don't it?

Kind of hard to find, since it's tucked away waaay in back of the little mall it's in, sorta west by southwest of the big car parts store, but The Reloader's Corner (9364 W 58th Ave, Arvada CO, (303) 422-8481) has just about everything you would want for reloading. Example: he's even got .50 BMG bullets (they're so big that I thought they were cartridges when I first spotted them out of the corner of my eye.) He's also got sight blacking. All that should tell you something, too. Say hello to Roger for me.

Sportsman's Warehouse (just west of I-25 on the 84th street exit) is pretty good, and their pricing seems to be better than Gander Mountain just up north on the Highway a bit. And they've got a good selection of Sporting Art and Cowboy Art prints by the men's room. You can carry in there with a CCW with no problem (as in most stores), but if you are going to bring in any guns for inspection or checking holster fit or the like (including your CCW in this case), be sure to clear it outside and check it in at the service desk. Just courtesy, doncha know.

--Terry

Pilot
August 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
X2 for Jensens in Loveland, plus its close to where you'll be.

wyosasquatch
August 10, 2008, 02:20 PM
Since you will be in Fort Collins, check out Jax (north College Drive) gun counter. Lots of nice people and lots of nice guns (great over/under selection). There is a gun shop on Harmony Road (south end of town) that has an indoor range. I don't remember the name of the shop but it is on the south side of the road @ the east end of a strip mall with the sign GUNS GUNS GUNS on it. For a closer Sportsmans Warehouse, there is one in Loveland @ exit 257 (I think) on I-25. Sorry I can't be completely specific, I just know where stuff is by landmark rather than the specifics.

RobNDenver
August 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
The best gun store in Northern Colorado is Gunsport in Boulder, in my humble opinion. You may want to connect with some CCW colleagues in CO too,

www.coloradocarry.com (http://www.coloradocarry.com)

rondog
August 10, 2008, 04:58 PM
Kind of hard to find, since it's tucked away waaay in back of the little mall it's in, sorta west by southwest of the big car parts store, but The Reloader's Corner (9364 W 58th Ave, Arvada CO, (303) 422-8481) has just about everything you would want for reloading.

x2!!! Been there several times. Very small shop, one guy, sells used guns too.

jr_roosa
August 10, 2008, 05:04 PM
Might as well hit Bass Pro Shops. Not the best place to buy shooting stuff, but the store itself is pretty cool. It's on I70 west of the 225 interchange.

Gander Mountain is always worth a visit. The prices aren't great, but they have lots of stuff. It's off 225 south of Mississippi.

-J.

230RN
August 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
Re Gunsport in Boulder....

I haven't been there in years, but I remember it was a great store.

Every time I go to Boulder I have to steel myself, gird my loins, secure the BS-tight doors, recite the 23rd Psalm, and take a deep breath, so I don't go up "there" too often. The last two times I was up "there" Gunsport happened to be closed (on a Sunday (Monday?), once, and a wee bit after hours the other time.)

If you go to Boulder, don't forget to steel yourself, gird your loins...

"Yea, though I drive through the valley... I will fear no evil.."

Gawd, I hate "that" town.

Is bashing a town legit on THR... you know, like we aren't supposed to bash countries, ethnicity, personalities, or other planets?

Seafarer12
August 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
thanks guys, I will have to give some of them a look see. I got in this afternoon and drove around a bit. This place sure has changed. I haven't been here since 96.

Kind of Blued
August 11, 2008, 03:30 AM
Re: Gunsport in Boulder.

They just DOUBLED in size a couple months back. The neighbors moved out (or they scared 'em off ;) ), they knocked down a wall, and voila.

I love that store as well, although they're closed on Mondays

KC0QGL
August 11, 2008, 04:40 AM
Jensens in Loveland
Great gun shop. They know me by name.

Pat-inCO
August 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
Grandpa's Pawn in Longmont
For-get-about-it. The guy that owns it now is not worth doing business with. When he bought it from John Teeples all of the prices went up by over 10%, then he increased the prices again on stock already in the store.

They know me by name.
I'll tell Bob to be more careful.

You, my friend, will need to go to Jensen Arms in Loveland ASAP.
+1! Jensen's is good.

Jax in Ft. Fun is OK. A bit pricie, but a lot better selection of accessories than many.

testify4
August 11, 2008, 07:24 PM
I'd also recommend the indoor range at RMSS on Prospect (Rocky Mountain Shooting Supply, also known as GUNS GUNS GUNS). Nice staff with some decent rentables if you'd like. They're closed on Sunday, though, so plan ahead! It's right in town, so that's an easy pick.

Another vote for the "must see" award going to Jensen Arms. Such an impressive place and another bunch of great people.

JAX is ok- I just buy ammo there but the counter folks are friendly. You don't get the psycho-check look when you bring up a whole basket of ammo.

The show down in Denver is the Crossroads Gun Show. Not sure if I will make it down there- spent my mad money on other stuff this go-around. :) http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/gunsched.htm#denver

If you want some outdoor range time, you can hit the Pawnee Sportsmen's Center. It's a bit of a drive but I enjoy my time there.

Dravur
August 12, 2008, 01:19 AM
I will second the motion to never ever go into that store. If you do, and actually buy something, bring the vaseline.

They are perhaps the WORST store in the area when it comes to pricing used and sometimes VERY used guns. I live in Longmont and have not been in there in months, have never bought a single thing there and if I do happen to go in there my eyes bug out so bad that I need new retinas.

Now Jensen's is great. Not the best prices, but nice selection and lots of misc stuff to keep me entertained.

If you can get to Green Mountain guns in Lakewood, they probably have the best prices and the largest selection of consignment guns in the state.

I will have to get to Boulder tomorrow and hit that store.

If you enjoyed reading about "Denver Guys" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!