AR 15 Optic under $150

PDA

Ghostrider_23
August 11, 2008, 09:31 AM
I have an AR15 with a carry handle and I want to put an optic on it. I have thought about Red dot, but wanted to know if there are other name brands out there to go with that would hold up for under $150

What are your experiences and what would you recommend?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR 15 Optic under $150" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
August 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
Depends on what you want this rifle to do:

For a life saving tool, I'd be hard pressed to thing of a MOUNT that's less than $150.

For plinking, you can support the knock-off market and get something in your price range. Try here http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=142
You get what you pay for and cheap optics have a short half-life.

BSW

atomd
August 11, 2008, 10:17 AM
I hear Vortex Optics is coming out with a red dot named Strikefire in a month or so. Word on the street says that it will be a good value for under $150. You could get a S.P.O.T. or a Burris XTS-135 red dot which are supposed to be decent too. I'd stay away from NCStar stuff and ebay airsoft knockoff optics.

If you like the EOTechs, you can get a Bushnell HOLO sight which is a non-heavy duty version of an EOTech. I've seen used ones for under $200 and new ones for just over. Any of those should be fine for plinking. I wouldn't put them to use on anything important though.

30 cal slob
August 11, 2008, 10:27 AM
For $150 and under, get a decent rear iron sight and a tritium front sight post.

As far as optics go ...

If this is a defense gun, I strongly suggest you save some money for a quality red dot sight and mount system.

LaRue Tactical is offering a combo mount and sight (for a flat-top receiver) on an Aimpoint Comp ML2 for $490. I know that's not $150, but for a few hundred bucks more you get bulletproof quality.

Here's the link.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=184&sfs=3cddeb9b

Rifleman 173
August 11, 2008, 11:34 AM
Tasco is making a couple of red dots that you can pick up fairly cheap if you shop e-Bay or gun shows. Tasco isn't the best but I've had decent luck with them for general use. They started making some that have 2X magnification so I've just bought a couple of cheapies to test out for the fun of it. One is a 30 mm red dot in 1X and the other is a 2X by Tasco. I plan to test these out on my ARs and my SAR-1 rifle just to see what I find out.

jackdanson
August 11, 2008, 11:44 AM
I second the Bushnell holosight, you might have to save an extra 50-75 dollars, but it will be worth it. The ones I've seen are identical to eotechs, except they don't have the metal shroud protecting it. They still look fairly sturdy though.

gazpacho
August 12, 2008, 04:29 AM
Armson Max Duty Sight (http://armson1.stores.yahoo.net/maxdutym16.html)

Not an optical sight, but an occluded sight. Low tech, but extremely rugged and effective. This is a fast CQB red dot sight.

RockyMtnTactical
August 12, 2008, 10:58 AM
Keep saving your money. Good optics are worth it.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR 15 Optic under $150" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!