Should Retailers/Wholesalers Use THRs Classifieds?

PDA

Bear2000
August 11, 2008, 02:27 PM
Should retailers/wholesalers be using THRs classifieds to advertise their wares, or if that forum be reserved for private individuals and perhaps, at most, small dealers. I really don't know and don't have a firm opinion on this yet (I've only sold/traded four or five items here). Just wondering what others think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should Retailers/Wholesalers Use THRs Classifieds?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geojap
August 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't become like spam. And I especially appreciate a wholesaler letting us know when they have a good deal in stock, because good deals normally don't last very long. I've noticed Top Gun Supply and Lois at Centerfire Systems posting deals in the past.

At the end of the day, it's Oleg's forum though, so he sets the rules and I respect them.

Freelance Tax Collector
August 11, 2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think so, as I'm looking for secondhand stuff whenever I go to a classified forum or something, but I can understand the want for it. I wish gunbroker would let you filter private from commercial auctions too.

Titan6
August 11, 2008, 03:32 PM
If it were up to me I'd say no. There are plenty of other places for dealers to post. Although if I did decide to do it I would set up a seperate section and likely charge a nominal fee to post there. Might make the site pay for itself.

Kentucky
August 11, 2008, 03:41 PM
I would personally prefer not to see commercial ads for firearms on the THR classifieds. I think there is a growing # of people who are not willing to do a 4473 (registration) anymore, and while I can always to Gunbroker and find anything I want, I can come to THR and find private sellers in my state.

My favorite thing about the THR classifieds is that it is a requirement to list your state in the title. My least favorite thing is that nobody in TN ever wants to sell their guns! :banghead: :D

Back to the point. Classifieds are for used, secondhand, special deals. Retail stuff is just clutter to wade through.

Derek Zeanah
August 11, 2008, 03:43 PM
Interesting question. Mind if I edit the original post to create a poll?

FCFC
August 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
I don't mind seeing the retailers/wholesalers listings mixed in with the private listings.

Though, maybe a commercial sales subforum would be better. If not, maybe have the commercial ads include a COMM in the subject line.

BryanP
August 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
If retailers are allowed then I would prefer to see separate sections for used and new firearms or accessories to differentiate.

Flyboy
August 11, 2008, 04:31 PM
I'm with geojap: if a retailer wants to occasionally post a special price or particularly good deal, that's fine, but we shouldn't turn the classifieds into another storefront.

Flame Red
August 11, 2008, 04:45 PM
Private Only

Else it will turn into AR15.com where the 'Sponsors' hog the whole equipment Exchange with a BTT every other day.

TX1911fan
August 11, 2008, 04:48 PM
I'd be fine with a retailers section and a private sale section.

divemedic
August 11, 2008, 05:04 PM
I am looking for non-dealer sales in my area when I buy stuff from there, and I don't want to wade through tons of commercial ads to do it. If I want that, I can go to gunbroker. Obviously, Oleg can do what he wants, but if commercial ads are going to be allowed, I would prefer to see them in their own subforum.

CRAZY-G
August 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
Glen

GILROY
August 11, 2008, 05:25 PM
No retailers period. Possibly an exception for used guns only, but still on a separate forum. You can always find a new gun retailer if you need one. Most already have a web site of their own. Make THR private citizens only.

Walkalong
August 11, 2008, 05:30 PM
It does not seem to be a problem, but it's an interesting question.

JohnMc
August 11, 2008, 05:31 PM
+1 on private only

Chrome
August 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
Nope, create another forum specifically for authorized vendors only. Charge vendors to use the forum. Gives a bit of money into the site. It's worked well at other sites I've seen.

Later,
Chrome...

DWARREN123
August 11, 2008, 05:49 PM
As long as the owner/operators have no problem why should anyone else. A deal is a deal no matter who offers it.

Technosavant
August 11, 2008, 05:51 PM
Dunno. If I check the classifieds, I'm looking for a deal on a gun, and I don't really care if it is new or used. However, the dealers can quickly crowd out the individuals trying to convert a gun into cash or a gun they'd love more.

If we retain only one classified section, I say private sales only. If the mods are up to it, I wouldn't say no to a dealers section where they can post their wares (with maybe a small fee involved).

absolute0
August 11, 2008, 05:52 PM
I'm not crazy about the idea of gun dealers advertising new guns in the classifieds as I fear the arfcom EE syndrome as Flame Red has already alluded to.

That said, the commercial interests who do sometimes post here seem to be using good judgement and restraint, confining offerings to specials and one-off used stuff. If it can continue in this manner and self regulate within the existing posting rules I say live and let live.

elrod
August 11, 2008, 06:15 PM
Things are fine the way they are now, as long as the dealers do not take control of the site. Having said that, I am not crazy about 4473s, especially with our current political climate(tinfoil,anyone?). Oleg has done a super job with this forum, I'm sure he has this under control, as well.

Catherine
August 11, 2008, 06:22 PM
TWO sections would be nice.

One for retailers.

One for private sales.

NEW and USED guns for sale listed in both areas and the "State".

Disclaimer:

I have never bought a gun 'online' and only bought NIB from my local dealers.

Catherine

FCFC
August 11, 2008, 06:24 PM
I don't really care if retailers post their their offerings--as long as Wal-Mart is ever prohibited from doing so!
:cuss:

Bear2000
August 11, 2008, 06:34 PM
Again, I was just wondering. I do think private individuals in the possession of NIB firearms should be allowed to sell them. The few commercial ops that do post here don't seem to be a problem.

Certainly don't mean to be creating a controversy where there is none!

Sam
August 11, 2008, 06:39 PM
As a retailer, I say no.
I'd feel like I was taking unfair advantage of them in some way.
I'll discuss thing that they have already bought, but I never do business here.

Sam

Jamie B
August 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
No!

Seperate area for commercial / retailer sales!

A poll on this would be great!

Jamie

jakk280rem
August 11, 2008, 07:01 PM
+1 for a commercial dealer sub-forum.

The Unknown User
August 11, 2008, 07:02 PM
Absolutely.

Use www.northeastshooters.com as an example. If you pay for a membership as a dealer, you get your own subforum, and moderator rights to that forum. That forum is entirely yours to use. If someone wants to do business with you, they can visit your forum. You can advertise in your own subforum all you want.

bogie
August 11, 2008, 07:19 PM
It's easy enough to work up relatively unobtrusive ads to help support something - here's a thing that goes with a project we're trying to get off the ground here...

www.woundcaretalk.com

And that's with SMF... Vbulletin would be a lot easier.

dwf6666
August 11, 2008, 07:48 PM
A separate area for retail sales would be in the best interests of the forum IMHO.

Tully M. Pick
August 11, 2008, 08:41 PM
I don't know. I like it when a vendor like Top Gun Supply posts deals in BST. He has prices, and they're usually pretty good deals. I don't like threads like this one: THR Firearms Auction Thread (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=379024), where someone is advertising an auction. It's going against the whole forum rules, where you have to post a price with what you're selling. It's more of advertising spam than something I'm interested in seeing.

I guess it really depends on the forum rules. I don't want to see vendors swamping the forums. Maybe limit them to a single sales thread where they post their wares, with a single bump per 24 hours.

bnkrazy
August 11, 2008, 09:09 PM
I guess it's time for me to finish up the site I started in my sig line...it's only been about 6 months. Sheesh...where does the time go?

Galen
August 11, 2008, 09:39 PM

oldgold
August 11, 2008, 10:59 PM
My two cents, I think it's fine the way it is. If a dealer gets too bothersome jsut add him to your ''ignore'' list. Teh posts I've seen from dealers so far seem to be good deals.

I might suggest that a dealer post the fact that he is a dealer.

Rmart30
August 11, 2008, 11:20 PM
I wouldnt mind dealers selling on the forum, but Id like to see them have their own seperate classifieds and not lump them in with the individual sales

Cacique500
August 12, 2008, 10:13 AM
I prefer that the retailers have their own subforum.

Red Tornado
August 12, 2008, 11:16 AM
As it stands, it doesn't seem to be a problem. If active members are dealers and want to advertise a gun that they're trying to move because it's been on the shelf 6 months, great. We get a chance at a deal. If it's a regular thing, as said, like an additional store front, that would be bothersome.

As a hard and fast rule, anyone advertising in the for sale forums with a post count of 0, doesn't even get a read from me. Dealer or not, doesn't matter. If someone has an actual post count, I feel like they've contributed to THR and I'll give them quite a bit of leeway. Again, dealer or not, doesn't really matter.

As long as dealers (or individuals) keep within the spirit of The High Road, there shouldn't be a problem.

However, realistically, I think a dealer sub-forum would be a great idea. Then we could argue 9mm vs .45, what caliber for deer, AND check out what FBMG has for sale all on the same forum. :D
RT

Rule556
August 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
Create a sub-forum for commercial sales, charge the retailers a nominal user's fee (after all, if they're using the site like a storefront, they ought to pay rent) and only allow reputable companies to advertise.

Seems like a good idea to raise some revenue for the site or to help fund Mr. Volk's photography projects.

The only way I can see it backfiring is if the retailers start demanding special treatment or exemption from the forum's rules.

Monkeybear
August 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
It depends.

If its a special price on a single gun, a group buy or a nice discount on a particular model they are trying to move then I wouldn't mind at all. If its just an advertisement for their everyday low price then I am not interested.

If Jeff's Online Gun Shop just started listing everything they have on our classifieds then I would be a bit annoyed but if Wild Bills Guns post and said "I have three demo Sig P239s in .40 S&W for $399 each. They look terrible on the outside and new on the inside." that would be awesome.

NG VI
August 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
Not for ordinary things, but if they want to pop a message in letting us know about a particularly good deal that sounds like a good thing. I wouldn't want to browse through CDNN or Cheaper Than Dirts catalog every time I want to browse the classifieds.

DoubleTapDrew
August 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
Only if it's a separate section. Retailers/Wholesalers sometimes have good deals but often are looking to sell tons of new stuff at prices you can find locally and flood classifieds with really ho-hum prices forcing you to wade through them to find actual deals on used equipment or firearms. Ebay is a good example of that phenomenon (for non-firearm goods of course).

Soybomb
August 12, 2008, 12:20 PM
As it stands, it doesn't seem to be a problem. If active members are dealers and want to advertise a gun that they're trying to move because it's been on the shelf 6 months, great. We get a chance at a deal. If it's a regular thing, as said, like an additional store front, that would be bothersome.
Sounds good to me, don't fix what isn't broken. If dealers become a problem stick them in their own forum or show them the door. I don't like to look for the needle in the haystack of a good used deal in with a ton of retail new pricing.

Part of what I like about THR is its one of the few major gun forums that isn't run by the sponsors or trying to milk money from me all the time with crazy schemes. Capitalist instinct is to say to take money from dealers but I'd rather they find the rest of the internet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should Retailers/Wholesalers Use THRs Classifieds?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!