Police: 11-Year-Old Robs Walgreens at 'Gunpoint'

PDA

Raystonn
August 11, 2008, 07:55 PM
Orlando, Fla. — Orlando police say an 11-year-old boy armed with mulitple fake guns robbed a Walgreens early Monday morning, according to MyFoxOrlando.com.

The younster reportedly entered the store at approximately 3:30 a.m with a backpack filled with fake guns and left with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Police apprehended the boy shortly after the incident, the station reported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had been the clerk, and had shot the kid... I feel a bit sick just thinking about it. Stupid kid. Probably very stupid parents.

-Raystonn

If you enjoyed reading about "Police: 11-Year-Old Robs Walgreens at 'Gunpoint'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jakk280rem
August 11, 2008, 08:05 PM
Do parents still spank their kids?

CountGlockula
August 11, 2008, 08:09 PM
Limiting poverty and building a stronger educational system cures our woes.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun
August 11, 2008, 08:11 PM
Did he really need a BACKPACK of fake guns.
What was he going to use guns 2-10 if fake gun 1 didn't work?

I mean did he think this was going to happen.
Kid pulls out fake 1911.
Clerk: hey thats fake.
Kid: hang on one sec.
Kid pulls out Glock 9mm.
Clerk: not sure if that one is fake or not but everyone obsessed with caliber size tells me a 9mm can't break the skin.
Kid: I got a bigger one in here.
Kid pulls out Uzi SMG
Clerk: thats a Class III item. Since fully automatic weapons are strictly controlled and are rarely used by criminals I am willing to risk my life that it is a fake.
Kid: good point.
Kid pulls out a XD .40
Clerk: ok now that one looks realistic, got good stopping power, is a likely weapon someone robbing a Wallgreens would have....
ok here the money.

Aran
August 11, 2008, 08:19 PM
He's 11. I doubt he did a lot of thinking.

Kind of Blued
August 11, 2008, 08:39 PM
Still... he did a much better job than the "adults" on this TV show I'm watching... :D Sad, but true.

Rustynuts
August 11, 2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, like how could easily be dead right now. Lot of these idiots blacken the orange tips to be "cool". Good way to get shot.

SCKimberFan
August 11, 2008, 08:43 PM
What the HECK was he doing up at 3:30 AM? Where the HECK are his parents?

Psywarrior13
August 11, 2008, 08:46 PM
And somehow, this will all end up being the NRAs fault :banghead:

This just shows a lack of discipline at home. What a world we live in.

rondog
August 11, 2008, 08:46 PM
I'd betcha his parents SENT him to rob the store for them!

SCKimberFan
August 11, 2008, 08:49 PM
Psywarrior, sadly I think you may be right - somehow they will be blamed for this.

DoubleTapDrew
August 11, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hopefully his new foster parents will raise him better after he gets out of juvie.

jnyork
August 11, 2008, 08:56 PM
Well, we certainly need to start looking at very harsh penalties for unlicensed and unregistered toy guns, with an eye toward a total ban as soon as they are all registered.:cuss:

No sense ranting about the parents. "Dad" is probably MIA ever since "Mom" got knocked up, and "Mom" is probably laid up in the rack with catch of the day, smoking dope and whatever else the two of them would be doing.

The kid is lucky to be alive, and will be even luckier if Child Protection farms him out to some caring couple for the rest of his young years.

pharmer
August 11, 2008, 09:03 PM
"What the HECK was he doing up at 3:30 AM? Where the HECK are his parents?"

Uhh, Disney World. He probably finished robbing drunk tourists downtown (bars close @ 2 am) and needed another "score". Joe

salvador31c
August 11, 2008, 09:33 PM
Lol Post #4 thats a good one...kid has some big ones to pull something like that, someone probley put him up to it.

btg3
August 11, 2008, 09:53 PM
http://www.local6.com/news/17154809/detail.html

Video report:

Kid had BB pistols that look like 1911s.
Reporter unwittingly demonstrates unwittingly violation of rule #3.

Psywarrior13
August 11, 2008, 09:59 PM
1911's are "automatic"? :mad: Why am I not surprised

plexreticle
August 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
Was he carrying 1000's of rounds of ammunition?

Halo
August 11, 2008, 10:14 PM
So what do you think would happen if someone shot him in self-defense? Does it change the dynamic of self-defense at all if it is a kid threatening your life? Would you get crucified regardless of how justified you were, just because it was a kid? I suspect a lot of the head-in-the-sand types in our society would refuse to get beyond the "he was just a kid!" aspect and you would have an awful time defending your actions. Thoughts?

Zedicus
August 11, 2008, 10:18 PM
Isn't this that same kid who went joy riding in his grandmas car, then somehow managed to get on a plane and fly across the country?

Rokyudai
August 11, 2008, 10:43 PM
All one needs is a 'little' security.
:rolleyes::neener:

JWarren
August 11, 2008, 10:50 PM

Uhm....

How about PARENTS teaching kids right from wrong. I can't see this as a failure of the school system.

When did we make the decision as a society that schools would raise our children?

-- John

Guns and more
August 11, 2008, 10:56 PM
Waiting in the car! Don't you know he's too young to drive?

Nolo
August 11, 2008, 11:00 PM
How about PARENTS teaching kids right from wrong?
You're absolutely right.
I can't see this as a failure of the school system.
Laying zero blame on the US school system is a fallacy, however.
Our school system doesn't allow choice in schools and thus schools experience no competition and degrade in quality over the years. We're almost at rock bottom now, on average. Because parents, who may or may not care about their children's education, have to send their kids to an abysmal school, they lose parenting ability, and delinquency rates increase, even in well-meaning families.
So part of the blame should be laid on the school system, IMHO.

.cheese.
August 11, 2008, 11:01 PM

That's what I was wondering. I'm up at 3:30 AM all the time as an insomniac, and go to Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. frequently at that time, but I'm in my late 20's. What the heck is an 11 year old doing up at that time?

JWarren
August 11, 2008, 11:21 PM
Laying zero blame on the US school system is a fallacy, however.
Our school system doesn't allow choice in schools and thus schools experience no competition and degrade in quality over the years. We're almost at rock bottom now, on average. Because parents, who may or may not care about their children's education, have to send their kids to an abysmal school, they lose parenting ability, and delinquency rates increase, even in well-meaning families.
So part of the blame should be laid on the school system, IMHO.

OK Nolo....

You got me on that one. Point conceeded as applied to your arguement.

-- John

Nolo
August 11, 2008, 11:24 PM
You got me on that one. Point conceeded as applied to your arguement.
Wow. I did?
That never happens.
Man, I was expecting a big ole' fight, then the mods would have to come in and then the thread would be shut down and we would both almost get banned.
I was looking forward to that, too...
;)

JWarren
August 11, 2008, 11:35 PM
Wow. I did?
That never happens.
Man, I was expecting a big ole' fight, then the mods would have to come in and then the thread would be shut down and we would both almost get banned.
I was looking forward to that, too...

Well, its tough watching a kid eager to learn sitting next to one who is only there because his parole officer makes him go to class.

But since we need an arguement...

Your mother was a goat, and your father smells of elderberries. Now go way before I taunt you for a second time.... :neener:

-- John

Disclaimer:

I have no knowledge of Nola's goat-ish lineage or any elderberry addictions. Oh, and void where prohibited by law.

2nd 41
August 11, 2008, 11:39 PM
Maybe the kid was just practicing for when he gets older. He's working out a few kinks.

Aguila Blanca
August 11, 2008, 11:42 PM
Did the reporter say the gun he was holding was the same type that the kid had, or "similar to"? The one he had was a Daisy xx15, and with that big wing nut on the bottom for the CO2 can and the tiny hole in the barrel, only a complete putz would ever say it could be mistaken for a real gun. Although I can see how a drugstore clerk in a predominately anti-gun area wouldn't know the difference.

If you want to see "toy" guns that really look like the real thing, try airsoft:

http://forum.m1911.org/images/airsoft/p1445b/100-0059_IMG.jpg
The on on top is an airsoft, on the bottom is a real Para-Ordnance

http://forum.m1911.org/images/airsoft/wilson/Pict1392.jpg
Wilson Combat -- airsoft

http://forum.m1911.org/images/airsoft/p1445/Pict1360.jpg
Another Para-Ordnance -- airsoft

http://forum.m1911.org/images/airsoft/glock19/Pict1405.jpg
Glock G19 -- airsoft

Drgong
August 11, 2008, 11:49 PM
Pull out one of those airsoft guns on most folks you might get shot...

btg3
August 12, 2008, 12:49 AM
Why does my 1911 airsoft have an orange tip and those above do not?

Do we need regulations or just enforce what is already there? :banghead:

SapperMapper
August 12, 2008, 12:53 AM
Kid's lucky he didn't get shot. Parents and kid together need to be taken out to the woodpile and made to cut their own switch.

When the tears start, send 'em to mow the lawn.

It sure worked for my old man, and the stunts I pulled didn't come close to robbing a Walgreen's.

Geno
August 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
Spare the rod?! Leather belt was used to tan our butts...bare even. I only ever received 3 swats, 3 times. My brother wasn't so smart as I was. If my parents had used a switch on him, they would have had to cut down the whole forrest. This way, only one cow was slain.

I have often pondered if public spankings, in front of the family and friends, might bring some of these young fools into intelligent conduct. I'd volunteer. A few good swats never harmed me any. It hurt me, but it didn't injure me.

;)

GatorDude
August 12, 2008, 01:11 AM
It's easier for politicians to propose gun control measures than to tell their constituents that they are bad parents.

btg3
August 12, 2008, 01:24 AM
I have often pondered if public spankings, in front of the family and friends...
... agreed, but in some instances the parent was reported to DSS, abuse charges were filed, and and the kids were taken -- until the INNOCENT proved they were not GUILTY.

Also recognize that for too many children, there is no responsible parent at home and our schools are "raising" the next generation. Bibles are out and anything else is in. Does it get any better than this? :banghead:

FieroCDSP
August 12, 2008, 01:39 AM
So what do you think would happen if someone shot him in self-defense? Does it change the dynamic of self-defense at all if it is a kid threatening your life?

The lack of orange tip, coupled with the fact he's committing a felony at 3AM.... Should you shoot in fear of your life, you'd probably walk.
As the picts above prove, some of these airsofts look incredibly close to the real thing. In many places, BB guns are considered a deadly weapon if brandished in public, or flashed at police. Sometimes you really can't tell the difference, and erring on the side of caution and blasting the weilder can be the right thing to do at times.

As for what happens? Take a look at a shooting in Ohio recently. Two kids (13-16 range) step up to a guy who's on his own property, pull a (real) gun, and try to rob him. Guy shoots the kid w/ gun, lets the other one get away, as he's unarmed. The guy is no-billed, as it's legitimate SD shoot. The kid's family and friends, feeling that the kid was the one that was wronged, smash every window in the guy's house, to let justice be done.

Killing a kid sucks. The shooter, even in the right, has to live with it. But the simple fact is that kids at that age know right from wrong. If they choose to do something wrong, they will suffer the consequences, the same as an adult.
Our society spends too much time coddling our youth. If they do something bad, we're told to give them a time-out, because whacking them across the behind with a lilac switch is cruel and leaves mental scars.
This is true, in a sense. My grandmother had a huge lilac bush in front of her house, and when I did something bad, I had to go out and get one. And if it broke during the ten swacks, or otherwise didn't meet her satisfaction, I'd get five more swacks after getting a new one.
Yes, this left lasting mental scars. Not crippling injuries. Those mental scars remind me that doing something wrong has consequences, often bad/painful ones for me. As a result, I know right from wrong, and try to do right.

I didn't understand, then, what my grandmother's discipline was being used for in the long-term. I do now. It was to teach me, in terms I could understand, that actions have consequences both good and bad, and that I have to pay those penalties.

This kid, and the many others we're seeing committing crimes, have not been made fully aware of the consequences of their actions, nor that they will be required to pay for them.
This is the result of "time-outs" and other "painless" and "sensitive" responses to bad behavior. Young children cannot understand that time away from toys is supposed to represent the horrible things will happen to them in the future if they don't behave as adults. Hunger and pain are the two responses we understand from the moment of birth.
Pain hurts, and once exposed to a stimulus that results in pain, we are less inclinced to do that action. Hence, spare the rod, spoil the child.

If more parents had a lilac bush and the love for their child that my mom and grandmother had for me, there'd be more tender bottoms on kids, but better behaved adults.

sm
August 12, 2008, 02:23 AM
According to Ty Ranny , author of Utopia in Thirty Days -

We need to ban guns, replica guns, kids, parents, drug stores, motor vehicles, money, and ...

Ya know, that is a lot of a gall darn banning!

It would be a lot more simple to take a 2x4 to the heads of this kids parents to get their attention, while the belt was applied to the boys rear end.

Heck, take the belt to the parents, so they too can "get in touch with one's inner self".

Basically Society is nuts and Utopia is another name for Tyranny.

Malice
August 12, 2008, 03:26 AM
Zedicus:

No, you are thinking of Latarian Milton.

He's only 7.

Cant be the same kid (would be funny though).

Double Naught Spy
August 12, 2008, 06:35 AM
Although I can see how a drugstore clerk in a predominately anti-gun area wouldn't know the difference.

If you want to see "toy" guns that really look like the real thing, try airsoft

AB, if some toy guns look like the real thing as you demo'd, then why would you expect the clerk to not know the difference? I can assure you that toy guns have been used convincingly in very pro gun areas to commit robberies. Whether or not Orlando is mostly pro or anti-gun really doesn't make a difference if the gun being used is a convincing copy. The victim is going to believe the gun is real.

feedthehogs
August 12, 2008, 10:35 AM
Doesn't everyone remember Hilary's speech of it takes a village?
Well folks that is what our society has come to like it or not.

People who have children(I don't use the word parents for obvious reasons) and dump them on the village to raise(you and I) has become an epidemic.

As the schools are blamed(with no justification)and more money is con'd out of tax payers to fix the problem(that won't happen) and more gun laws are passed to cure the problem.

Unfortunatly we are treating a cancer with asprin tablets.

Take two kids.
Raise one in a well cared for home environment and the other in an environment were dads dead or in prison, moms a drug addict ho and the kid is left to grow up on the street watching gangster videos and is taught if you want something, you have to take it.

Who do you think is gonna cause more problems?

We can all sit back and watch the liberal horde throw gun owners under the bus with more laws and restrictions to try and solve a morality issue we face as a pandemic.

Since we as a group get attacked when these situations happen, there's gotta be people smarter than myself who can come up with a solution without the usual "kill them all and let God sort them out" mentality or lets throw more money at it.

pitbullman
August 12, 2008, 11:14 AM
well when i was 11 years old i was suppose to be in bed just like my parents where ever think about that one folks i could have walk to china and back and my parents wouldn't have woke up

Drgong
August 12, 2008, 11:39 AM
If I was not in bed at 3 am there would be a missing persons report on me when I was 11...

Geno
August 12, 2008, 11:54 AM
The following is my own explanation regarding why America has a higher ratio of “stupid-to-intelligent” people than ever before in its history, and why we have gun-control.

The politicians have imposed unnatural restraints (laws) on victims, and these same have countered-acted God's/nature's own form of "banning stupidity". God's/nature's ban on stupidity is called survival of the fittest.

Unnatural laws, such as those that mandate that the victim must attempt to escape being a victim, rather than stand one's ground, effectively mute God’s/nature’s law of survival of the fittest. But, because God/nature has wired man/woman with an instinct to defend self and family, the politicians now have to ban firearms. These laws, and firearm bans, collectively result in the intelligent humans being killed-off by the misfits, who in turn survive an unnaturally prolonged existence.

Ergo, the misfits procreate, and not knowing any better persist in living their unnatural, and falsely prolonged life. Knowing no other than a life of crime and perversion, which has been fostered by the Liberals, these misfits instill their own warped “culture” into their children. The misfit children survive, and will eventually perpetuate the unnatural deeds via their children. Ergo, we now have multi-generational misfits who know no better than a life of crime. These multi-generational misfits have now become dependent on the liberals to perpetuate their life of crime, by provide them with a healthy supply of victims via firearms bans.

Thank-goodness in Michigan we have now begun to reverse the process by passing legislated Castle Doctrine. I for one would hate to wake up in Heaven, because I hesitated while I tried to determine if the misfit was holding a genuine Glock or a toy.

Doc2005

Kenneth Lew
August 12, 2008, 01:22 PM
Did the reporter say the gun he was holding was the same type that the kid had, or "similar to"? The one he had was a Daisy xx15, and with that big wing nut on the bottom for the CO2 can and the tiny hole in the barrel, only a complete putz would ever say it could be mistaken for a real gun. Although I can see how a drugstore clerk in a predominately anti-gun area wouldn't know the difference.

Until the video of the robbery is released, I would not judge any actions of an individual during a robbery. Too much arm chair quarterbacking on assumptions. I've known gun people who were robbed by people using fake guns. In the heat of the moment, depending upon the movements of the robber and the location of the clerk, you can mistaken a toy gun for a real one. I've know police officers who have shot people point cell phones at them (video present).

Halo
August 12, 2008, 02:00 PM
Ergo, the misfits procreate, and not knowing any better persist in living their unnatural, and falsely prolonged life.

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? It's a comedy made by Mike Judge, the creator of Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill, and Office Space. The premise of it is pretty much what you describe, taking current trends and portraying what we become in 500 years after several more generations of stupid people outproducing intelligent people.

Tyris
August 12, 2008, 02:28 PM

How do you limit poverty? Tax non leaches so to provide more government cheese, housing and handouts? yeah that'll make the improvrished want to work harder..

Educational system? Im sure countries with weaker education systems suffer from the same crap (heh). Or, could it be that bone heads dont want to learn nor do they understand the value of an education?

-T

Tyris
August 12, 2008, 02:35 PM
double

sweetbeard
August 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
EVEN if i realized it was a toy, I would have shot him ( maybe in the nuts ).. Save problems for the future people this turd would have robbed/killed...

But thats just me, blame rap music LOL

guitarhero323
August 12, 2008, 02:53 PM
i bet his dads a dead gangster and his mom is a coke whore

sithanas
August 12, 2008, 03:39 PM
If I was not in bed at 3 am there would be a missing persons report on me when I was 11...

If I wasn't in bed at 3am when I was 11, there would definitely be a missing persons report out on me. I bet, however, that my parents would be responsible for missing me - off the side of a cliff.

MinnMooney
August 12, 2008, 05:19 PM
Do parents still spank their kids?
Not if they want to stay out of jail or have their kids taken away. I think normal spankings are justified and absolutely needed sometimes. Ya just can't get carried away with it. It should NEVER be administered in anger but minutes or hours later so the kid has time to think about what's coming and why it is justified.

I really hope that the kid's parents weren't waiting out in the car. some parents will use their kids like that because the kids are juvies and will only get a slap on the hand.

XD-40 Shooter
August 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
Sounds like another case of good parenting.....NOT! lol...:D But seriously, this typifies the problem of parents that don't give a crap, the kid is pretty much left to raise himself, thats when they get involved in gangs and other shady activities, then its all over. Obviously, these parents are awol and my reaction is...:barf::mad::cuss::banghead::scrutiny:.

joop
August 12, 2008, 06:20 PM
My thoughts:

Parenting: Don't limit sex-ed to abstinence only, raise awareness of birth control so that these fools don't have kids, raise awareness of lack of usefulness of "timeouts" and other "sensitive" punishments and go back to effective discipline--reward when good, spank when bad. (Of course, once kids get to a certain age, other punishments become more effective)

Schooling: Bad teachers and administration caused by lack of competition and inability to fire bad teachers because of teachers' union's influence. Solve this by switching to merit-based pay to attract and keep good teachers, implement new policies that make it easier to fire bad teachers, and increase competition between schools by allowing kids to go to whatever school they want that they can get to (let the money follow the kids).

This particular kid: Send him to juvie and afterwards send him to foster parents.

Geno
August 12, 2008, 09:01 PM
sithanas, et. al:

If I wasn't in bed at 3am when I was 11, there would definitely be a missing persons report out on me. I bet, however, that my parents would be responsible for missing me - off the side of a cliff.

My Father always told me, "Son, I brought you into this world, and I can take-you-out of it". The Hades of it...I seriously believed him! :what: He wasn't abusive, just stern. Looking back after 48 years of life, I'm glad he was.

Doc2005

Double Naught Spy
August 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
Wow Doc! Your father was/is Bill Cosby? That is a great routine he does where he uses that phrase.

Halo
August 12, 2008, 09:46 PM
Or like the bit where he said for the first 7 years of his life he thought his name was Jesus Christ.

"No Dad, I'm not dammit I'm Jesus Christ!"

Magnum.35744
August 12, 2008, 09:48 PM
Hahaha that made my day! Good one :D:neener:

JWarren
August 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
Schooling: Bad teachers and administration caused by lack of competition and inability to fire bad teachers because of teachers' union's influence. Solve this by switching to merit-based pay to attract and keep good teachers, implement new policies that make it easier to fire bad teachers, and increase competition between schools by allowing kids to go to whatever school they want that they can get to (let the money follow the kids).

I honestly still cannot believe that people are blaming on teachers what their kid is doing at 3:00 AM.

Sorry...but this is scapegoatism. Blame everyone BUT ourselves for our own lack of responsiblity for the brood that we brought into the world.

Go work in a school and have a few parent-teacher conferences, and you will begin to see the origins of things lilke this story. Hint: It was well matured before ANY teacher had any influence on the kid. And then you blame the teachers for not sucessfully purging that influence out of the child?

I was wondering where all Hillery's "It takes a Village to Raise a Child" people went....

-- John

Halo
August 12, 2008, 10:50 PM
I agree you can't put this off on teachers. There is a strong culture of irresponsibility and an inability to comprehend the idea of delayed gratification in this country. Somehow "live in the now" has morphed into "screw the consequences". The elephant in the living room is that problems like deadbeat-dads are especially severe in certain demographics, but anytime people like Bill Cosby implore more responsibility they get attacked. It's sort of like an addict who lashes out at friends trying to help them I guess. I think young boys in particular need a strong father figure in their lives, someone who can teach them that becoming a man means a lot more than the ability to impregnate a woman. For decades now, fatherhood has been maligned and marginalized in our culture. I know there are many women out there who have done a tremendous and commendable job raising children on their own, for whatever circumstances, but all the same I know I would be a far different person today if my dad hadn't been there to teach me the mental and moral part of being a man. So there's my semi-coherent take on the "why?" of it all.

RobTzu
August 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
I caught your sarcasm Count, even if it went above everyone else.

bobbarker
August 13, 2008, 12:51 AM
You should have to have a license before you are allowed to have children. If I had been out at 3 am when I was 11, forget armed robbery, just out in the back yard, my old man woulda beat my ass so bad I'da been in bed before primetime TV the rest of the month just to make sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Police: 11-Year-Old Robs Walgreens at 'Gunpoint'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!