did he just do what i think he did?

PDA

thegoodfight
August 12, 2008, 02:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4Q7OXPLJg

If you enjoyed reading about "did he just do what i think he did?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frightener 88
August 12, 2008, 02:17 AM
Yup, he sure did. Funny enough, a kid I knew back home shot himself in the face doing that in a room full of people. Now when I say kid, I mean 22 or 23. Its been said before, you cant fix stupid.

The_Sheriff
August 12, 2008, 02:19 AM
wow that was loaded!!!!!!!!!!

Claude Clay
August 12, 2008, 02:34 AM
stupid.....for sure. :eek:
back strap safety and the slide safety makes it 'safe' (sic).:what:

Kind of Blued
August 12, 2008, 02:43 AM
Stupid should hurt more than that.

akodo
August 12, 2008, 02:50 AM
more proof that TV and movies rot the brain.

hollywod (and especially japanese anime films) are very gun ignorant as far as how guns actually work. They don't know how to depict a truely excellent pistolero, so they add in all these flashy gimmicks.

Young-uns see thise gimmicks and emulate them thinking the gimmick is the mark of the skillful shooter, not a mark of lack of information.

Of course, in the 1950s there were plenty of kids who wanted to twirl their rifle like the Rifleman, or cut down the family deer rifle into a Mare's Leg, neither one were very good ideas.

ants
August 12, 2008, 02:51 AM
Watch very carefully.

He clicks the thumb safety on after loading the chamber. Then he twirls. Then he clicks the thumb safety off when he takes his grip to shoot. It's still stupid, but at least he had the safety on.

Now watch very carefully as he shoots his 8 rounds.
Two rounds hit the dirt in front of the stump. He misses the target by 6 feet!

thegoodfight
August 12, 2008, 02:55 AM
Watch very carefully.

He clicks the thumb safety on after loading the chamber. Then he twirls. Then he clicks the thumb safety off when he takes his grip to shoot. It's still stupid, but at least he had the safety on.

Now watch very carefully as he shoots his 8 rounds.
Two rounds hit the dirt in front of the stump. He misses the target by 6 feet!

Oh i was well aware he hit the safety...it's still incredibly stupid though.

Mickstix
August 12, 2008, 02:58 AM
What an idiot.. Safety on or not..

thegoodfight
August 12, 2008, 02:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2aQTtWs6Jk

holy crap!!! He's waving it around like an idiot...pointing it at himself, his girlfriend etc.

SASD209
August 12, 2008, 03:05 AM
"video removed by user" Good thing I got to watch it first!

I think he got our point, he's still an asshat. :neener:

sweetbeard
August 12, 2008, 03:06 AM
Looks like he just took it off.. I saw that idiot just in time!

McKnife
August 12, 2008, 03:10 AM
Looks like he just took it off.. I saw that idiot just in time!

SAME HERE!

I tried to comment, but he disabled all comments on all his videos.

I did, however, flag them for dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/user/twhitson87 -- link to the rest of his videos where he muzzle flashes the camera girl, among other lethal moves.

jakemccoy
August 12, 2008, 03:25 AM
Don't worry. He'll be on here soon talking about how he had an accidental discharge. Plenty of people will say that it's ok and that it can happen to anybody.

jakemccoy
August 12, 2008, 03:32 AM
same video of original post...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9SIriCkko
http://www.youtube.com/user/twhitson87

McKnife
August 12, 2008, 03:34 AM
Funny... it's back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9SIriCkko

He's going to kill himself.

bogie
August 12, 2008, 04:11 AM
Heck, he may be a luzer here...

bogie
August 12, 2008, 04:13 AM
Crappy backstop too. Those trees -may- stop a round, or it -may- just sail on, unobstructed except by the occasional leaf, and kill someone.

exar
August 12, 2008, 04:15 AM
IME, about %80 of the average shooter is not of THR quality. By that, I'm not saying everyone on THR is a crack shot or perfect in any way. All of us here can vouch for that:neener:. However, that %80 simply fail to put much, if any, emphasis on control and awareness of the weapon, nor are they even aware that safety rules actually do exist for handling firearms:rolleyes:. Too many people tend to own firearms for the cool factor alone. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, if you know how to actually be safe with your cool toy.

General Geoff
August 12, 2008, 04:19 AM
Nothing wrong with having fun with your guns, just make sure to do it safely. I.e. not twirling it on your finger like you're in a spaghetti western. :(

Jolly Rogers
August 12, 2008, 11:39 AM
Names Twhit...son!
Kind of fits.
Joe

armoredman
August 12, 2008, 11:56 AM
Why do idiots feel the need to show that they are idiots to the entire world?

hankdatank1362
August 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
Send the ignorant twerp a message... I did.

1911 Fun
Did you just twirl a 1911 in condition 1?

Thumb safety, grip safety, I don't care...

That is incredibly, INCREDIBLY stupid.

Flagged for idiocy. We don't need other immature kids doing something they saw on youtube by a future Darwin Award recipient.

He needs to be bombarded, and maybe he'll realize that what he is doing is not cool, and actually very stupid. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Soybomb
August 12, 2008, 01:31 PM
I don't really mind so much when people endanger themselves willingly, putting others at risk though is a shame.

2E8B
August 12, 2008, 01:36 PM
O....M....F....G....

future darwin award?

scrat
August 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
stupid is stupid does

williamthedog
August 12, 2008, 01:39 PM
toss a lil chlorine in the ol gene pool!
maybe he'll take himself out doing one of those reverse wheelies with a crotch rocket.

abrink
August 12, 2008, 02:11 PM
I flagged this video for "other dangerous acts." Hopefully youtube sees why.

Justin
August 12, 2008, 02:30 PM
Any time you see a video demonstrating dangerous gun handling, it should be flagged. Flag them enough times and YT will take them down.

eric.cartman
August 12, 2008, 03:33 PM
VIDEO REMOVED FROM YOUTUBE :-(

WHat did I miss?

Treo
August 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
The idiot put the video back up W/ an explaination about how safe he really was and disabled all comments. I'm thinking he put those videos up just to piss people off

Carlos Cabeza
August 12, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'll agree with the 80 / 20 rule. Didn't see the vid, don't want to. 'tisn't funny.

halfbreed808
August 12, 2008, 04:40 PM
That's what watching to many action movies makes an idiot do. The guy's as smart as a box of rocks!:fire:

Mr White
August 12, 2008, 04:44 PM
From the look he gives the camera at the end, you can tell he's a real dou***bag. If he was as cool as he seems to think he is, he'd still be a dou***bag.

thegoodfight
August 12, 2008, 04:58 PM
From the look he gives the camera at the end, you can tell he's a real dou***bag. If he was as cool as he seems to think he is, he'd still be a dou***bag.

bingo.

dewage83
August 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
Added: August 11, 2008 (Less info)
Shooting out in Tami's backyard. FYI, cocked and locked is completely safe with a 1911 in good working order, which mine is. Please, no hate mail is necessary. If you need information on how a 1911 is constructed, read up on it.

As a warning:
Some weird combination of events could conspire to take the safety off, push down the grip safety and pull the trigger all at the same time, but I can't visualize what that circumstance would be. I shouldn't have to say this, but don't try this if you're unwilling to take risks. For that matter, stay in bed all day watching YouTube videos. That's fairly safe.
Heres his reply to the "hate mail"

Drgong
August 12, 2008, 05:18 PM
Just hope he has a ND (it would not be a AD) no other person is hit. Not that I am perfect, though I am working on it :p

Should of seen me when I was showing a friend my nagant revolver, I go to the bathroom, and come back out and he was looking down the barrel 3 inches from his eye. Yes it was unloaded and he had made sure it was unloaded, but I still was like :eek:.

I feild stripped the gun and let him look down the barrel all he wanted. ;)

Aguila Blanca
August 12, 2008, 05:27 PM
It would be one thing if he alone were the only possible person who might suffer the consequences of the "risk" (as he terms it) ... but that isn't the case unless he's doing his gunslinger act alone in the middle of the Gobi Desert. While there's a good chance he might shoot himself, there's an even better chance he might shoot a bystander or a neighbor.

On the sheer idiocy scale, he scores an 11 out of a possible 10.

Werewolf
August 12, 2008, 05:41 PM
Bandwagons... Gotta love 'em!

Treo
August 12, 2008, 06:22 PM
Every body here should go to youtube and flag all of this clowns videos

s10ryan
August 12, 2008, 06:23 PM
that is really stupid......if he is not firing it its needs to be holstered

elChupacabra!
August 12, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm stuck at work and YouTube is blocked - can somebody explain exactly what he did? I gather that he twirled a loaded 1911 around his finger before firing it rapidly and badly.... close?

shdwfx
August 12, 2008, 06:42 PM
Why do idiots feel the need to show that they are idiots to the entire world?
Closet idiots aren't.

Treo
August 12, 2008, 08:22 PM
i'm stuck at work and YouTube is blocked

You pretty much got it. He then posted a message (apparently after a bunch of us posted nastygrams on his video) about how he really wasn't unsafe in doing so

twhitson87
August 13, 2008, 12:05 AM
yeah let's all bad talk him for acting so recklessly! true gentlemen are we!

Soybomb
August 13, 2008, 12:15 AM
yeah let's all bad talk him for acting so recklessly! true gentlemen are we!
Don't you feel like reckless behavior deserves a scolding? Many of us work hard to try to promote the second amendment cause and foolish behavior doesn't help us out or make it easier. Your actions not only endanger yourself but others. At the very least don't point the muzzle at the people who are watching/filming you. I have no doubt you think your actions are safe but so did countless other people who wound up shooting themselves. Have some fun and take some risks in life but use some common sense with the ones you take. Pointing a loaded cocked gun at yourself or others isn't a good choice.

twhitson87
August 13, 2008, 12:50 AM
[QUOTE]

well correction, yes, scolding i can leave to my parents. i appreciate it when others inform me of mistakes i've made, but i've read a few rather insulting remarks on this forum based solely on what i'll admit was negligent behavior. before becoming a member, i visited this forum on occasion to gain insight into the workings of my own firearm. i'm sure posts here influenced my decision to buy my sw1911, which i'm very happy with. anyway, i'm a youngin and still learning, so long as i don't shoot myself first. i have a background that is rather lax in terms of gun safety, but no bad has come of it in my lifetime (limited as it may be, i understand). i realize now the potential hazards associated with "cool" displays of technique (and no, I wasn't aiming at anything other than the ground because the backstop isn't meant for more than handgun rounds...but it is adequate for stopping .45 acp, as i've collected a few spent rounds straight from the drywall in the backstop), and i shall modify my handling of firearms in the future. to those of you who mean merely to correct me, i thank you. to the others who would rather sink to name-calling or mockery, your level of maturity indicates to me that perhaps the appropriateness of your ownership of a firearm is as questionable as you seem to thing mine is. the videos are now private, and another potential hazard waiting to happen has been averted. thank you all and goodnight.

GlowinPontiac
August 13, 2008, 01:06 AM
This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.

whats going on? every link either says that the video has been removed or that it is private?

twhitson87
August 13, 2008, 01:53 AM
don't worry, all you missed was a video of me acting like an ass. i was twirling my gun around cocked and locked, figuring this would be safe, but of course it isn't, and i have been thoroughly informed of this mistake. the videos are still up but set to private because my friends think they're entertaining (and i've told them not to do it!), and i don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from my display of stupidity. i did get a little upset when people from this forum resorted to name-calling...but on a bright note, i'm now a member of this nice little forum instead of just an innocent/foolish bystander, and i have gained a better opportunity to learn from the more experienced members here. i hope my little charade hasn't soured anyone's opinion of me, and i can just say that i'm now among the hundreds of other people who have done silly, potentially dangerous things with a gun (and learned from it before i shot myself). so, with all that aside, i'm pleased to be here. anyone have any other ND stories they'd like to tell to lighten the mood?

GigaBuist
August 13, 2008, 02:01 AM
i was twirling my gun around cocked and locked, figuring this would be safe, but of course it isn't, and i have been thoroughly informed of this mistake. the videos are still up but set to private because my friends think they're entertaining (and i've told them not to do it!), and i don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from my display of stupidity.
Looks like you've learned from your mistake. Cool beans.

anyone have any other ND stories they'd like to tell to lighten the mood?

Folks aren't too shy with them 'round here. You can search the archives if you'd like, but here's a 2nd hand one from a buddy of mine.

He was shooting with a friend of his that grew up just down the street from me. We'll call him Mark. Mark, for reasons unknown, decided he'd twirl his double-action .357 around his finger while they were sitting on the deck waiting to do more shooting.

About 5 seconds later the gun was snatched away from Mark. There was now a bullet hole about .357" round in the deck inches from his foot.

Bad idea to twirl a gun.
Bad idea to twirl a double action revolver.
Really bad idea to twirl a loaded double action revolver with the hammer manually cocked back! That's what Mark had done.

twhitson87
August 13, 2008, 02:16 AM
probably should have specified that the stories should have "happy" outcomes like gigabuist's haha...as for me, there's this guy in my church who managed to shoot himself in both the arm and then the leg with a .22 while messing around with a gun in the presence of his friends. can't remember the exact circumstances, but he's fine now. i can't come up with the source to verify this, but i believe there was actually an internet video floating around a while back in which a guy literally shot an apple off the head of his drunk friend. yeah...

Zedicus
August 13, 2008, 02:50 AM
probably should have specified that the stories should have "happy" outcomes like gigabuist's haha...as for me, there's this guy in my church who managed to shoot himself in both the arm and then the leg with a .22 while messing around with a gun in the presence of his friends. can't remember the exact circumstances, but he's fine now. i can't come up with the source to verify this, but i believe there was actually an internet video floating around a while back in which a guy literally shot an apple off the head of his drunk friend. yeah...

Uh, ok....

Welcome to THR btw, one of the best places online to learn anything about guns.

elChupacabra!
August 13, 2008, 10:55 AM
I've got $10 saying twhitson87 posting here isn't the same twhitson87 from YouTube. Anyone who would go to those lengths to defend their own stupid actions, including a disclaimer on how it's safe and we are all idiots for being scared to do it ourselves, disabling comments and making the video private wouldn't suddenly join the forum attacking them and admitting to be wrong all the sudden.

If twhitson87 here isn't a troll, I don't know who is.

twhitson87
August 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
haha...i dunno what to say. i was in dental school yesterday, so i wasn't really in the best of moods (haven't been lately, not enough sleep) so i got very defensive when i was "corrected" (insults thrown in for good measure, i'm sure). i mean, especially on a forum called "the high road" it's unpleasant to see that kind of reaction from people, even to as bad a mistake as mine. anyway, i'm that same guy. can't really prove it. i guess i could record a video of me displaying my newfound knowledge of responsible gun handling and post that, lol. but it's me. :p

Savage Shooter
August 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
maybe he'll take himself out doing one of those reverse wheelies with a crotch rocket. It's called a stoppie you go fast lean forward slam on the front brake and try to balance your self like in a regular wheelie.
just thought i'd clarify that.

have been thoroughly informed of this mistake
hehe to put it lightly :D

Drgong
August 13, 2008, 11:32 AM
fair enough,twhitson87, you learned without a ND, which is good :)

Just make a video about the 4 rules of gun safety and all will be forgiven! ;)

Welcome to the high road

elChupacabra!
August 13, 2008, 12:01 PM
You know what - that's a great idea! Take down all your videos that show your dangerous and irresponsible gunhandling, post a NEW one explaining and demonstrating the 4 rules, give us a link here, and I'll take back what I said and even pay YOU the $10 :)

Timradcliffe345
August 13, 2008, 12:14 PM
We live in a free country (some of the time) and if people want to be careless with firearms they can; however, they will have to deal with the consequences of their actions. With freedom comes responsibility.

I will add another $10 to la chupacabra's offer.

God Bless USA.

elChupacabra!
August 13, 2008, 12:21 PM
awesome, thanks tim :)

MinnMooney
August 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
I missed the window. The video can only be seen by YouTube subscribers, evidently.

twhitson87
August 13, 2008, 12:39 PM
i made them private so as to make them unavailable to the general public. i may remove them altogether and take these fellows up on their offer by making a new video about the 4 rules. being a dental student leaves me with sparse extra time, but it also leaves me with sparse extra money...and $20 is $20, hehe. i now understand how important this is to everyone here, and of course i respect that.

anythingshiny
August 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
Twhit...glad you hopped on and seem to understand that folks were not necessarily bashing on you personally..but in a warped and sick way, watching out for your best intrest by contacting you. its tough to not get defensive when people are banging on ya from behind a keyboard.

i had tried to soften it a bit with my reponse to you but understand the defensive nature. its normal when folk who are not face to face are naming you the next darwin award winner..been there done that!

anyway...welcome to the boards. there is a wealth of knowledge ( and attitude) here. enjoy.

ps..drop the 1911 thing and get a real gun. HK. because you suck. and we hate you. :)

twhitson87
August 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
haha, well SOME of y'all were attacking my personality (or simply my name :-P), but i do sincerely appreciate those who are looking out for me. it's good to be in wise and caring company. lol, i'm sorry but i've had a crush on the 1911 for a while now, and i'm still in the honeymoon phase with mine. i'll admit i have a soft spot for HK because my dad's USP .40 was the first handgun i ever shot, and i still think it rocks.

BAT1
August 13, 2008, 11:28 PM
He shouldn't have that gun. He gives the rest of us a bad, stupid image.

twhitson87
August 13, 2008, 11:46 PM
Well here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDuVM5uJWNo

To those of you who are still upset, you have my sincerest apologies. We all do stupid things, and I'm just like anyone else. I face up to my mistakes, and I appreciate those of you who have helped me learn my lesson. Anyway, if you're still upset...just remember that if you can't control your own emotions, particularly anger, you probably shouldn't have a gun either. I have a newfound respect for my right to own this gun, and I'll make sure that I act in a responsible manner henceforth. I hope this little educational video makes up for my previous display of ignorance, and again, thanks to those of you who empathize and respectfully corrected me rather than blindly bashing somebody on YouTube who did something dumb.

ASM826
August 14, 2008, 12:05 AM
He shouldn't have that gun. He gives the rest of us a bad, stupid image.

Really? Here we are, hammering the 2nd Amendment drum, but we're going to make exceptions for people who are perceived to give us a bad image?

So the Fudds get rid of all the IDPA style shooters and the Evil black rifle shooters. The target shooters get rid of all the deer hunters. Someone else bans the .50 cal shooters. Collectors ban the owners of cheap self-defense guns.

I will agree that he needs training. I think anyone who is going to own firearms should take the time for training. That's part of being an adult and taking personal responsibility. But to suggest that anyone should be prevented from owning firearms because they make firearms owners look bad...

Plenty of people misuse the 1st Amendment too. But we don't get to silence them because they make us look bad.

I suspect that the new poster is the same guy, and he has made a 4 rules video. It may be that in his enthusiasm for gun ownership, he took too much from movies and TV. If he finds a friend with range access, and gets some instruction, he could be a mature gun owner the same as you and I. Unless someone takes his guns away.

Treo
August 14, 2008, 12:15 AM
if you're still upset...just remember that if you can't control your own emotions, particularly anger, you probably shouldn't have a gun either.

That is the smartest thing I have read one this board in a looooooong time.

BTW T You missed the target by a waaaaaays there W/ a couple of those shots, need to work on that dude ( and you need to get a CZ)

Soybomb
August 14, 2008, 12:40 AM
Good job, its hard to admit you were wrong. I'm glad you and your friends won't be one of those accidental shootings we hear about on the news. You might look into some of the fun gun games in your area like ipsc or idpa if you want to have some really cool videos to show off to your friends.

HuntAndFish
August 14, 2008, 01:17 AM
Yea T. You really stood up.

1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
2. Never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy.
3. Finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4.Make sure of your target and what is beyond it.

We attempt to train ourselves to do this out of habit, because no one is thinking about it all of the time. Habit is our saving grace. When you break these rules, you get in a habit that can be deadly.

I'm adding $10 to the offer.
Hope you earn your $30.00 dollars. Let us know where to send it.

twhitson87
August 14, 2008, 01:27 AM
hey thanks guys. i really appreciate the courtesy i've been shown here after trying to rectify my error. i also appreciate the monetary offer, but the simple knowledge i've gained from these members is more valuable than any of that. i hope i can help spread the word to those who, like i was guilty of, try silly, stupid things with guns that can put innocent lives at risk. thanks again for the compliments and lessons, and here's to the safe enjoyment of our second amendment. god bless. :)

thegoodfight
August 14, 2008, 03:41 AM
I feel like I should say something, since it was I who started this thread....I just want to say it's really admirable what T did...He learned his lesson...a lot of us probably jumped to conclusion about stuff as well. I want to apologize for that. He stepped up...I really don't think there's anything else to say besides welcome to the forum.

elChupacabra!
August 14, 2008, 09:31 PM
twhitson87 - I'm astonished, I don't know what to say... I didn't think it could possibly be you, but I see that I was mistaken, so my public apologies.

If you PM me your address, I'll gladly mail you the $10 I owe you.

Again, my sincerest apologies.

Drgong
August 14, 2008, 09:54 PM
twhitson87 - your a stand up guy!

Best of luck and enjoy the high road!

If you enjoyed reading about "did he just do what i think he did?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!