Martial law imposed by MAYOR in Arkansas?

PDA

thegriz
August 12, 2008, 03:44 PM
What the heck? City government is putting a 24 hour curfew on parts of town?

Ark. city neighborhood under 24-hour curfew (http://www.wxvt.com/Global/story.asp?S=8818645&nav=menu1344_2)

Associated Press - August 10, 2008 8:34 PM ET

HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. (AP) - Helena-West Helena Mayor James Valley says he ordered a round-the-clock curfew and heavy police patrol in a ten-block section of town because the neighborhood was "under siege with repeated gunfire, loitering, drug dealing and other general mayhem."

Valley ordered the emergency curfew Thursday, effective immediately. It was still in place today. He said it would remain in place as long as the problems persist or until the city council can come up with a long-term plan at its August 19th meeting.

Thursday night, 18 to 20 police officers carrying M-16 rifles, shotguns and night-vision scopes patrolled the "curfew zone." They arrested about eight people and confiscated drugs and loaded weapons.

Under Valley's order, officers do not tolerate loitering or "hanging out." Officers can stop and investigate all foot traffic, bicycle, horseback, mo-ped, motorcycle, riding mower, golf cart or other means of transportation.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas says the curfew is "blatantly unconstitutional" and has demanded that Valley lift the order immediately.

Evictions, fake cops raise questions about Arkansas curfew
POSTED August 11, 11:59 AM (http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-Liberties-Examiner~y2008m8d11-Just-who-is-enforcing-that-Arkansas-curfew)

Hand-drawn map attached to the Helena-West Helena curfew order
Much is being made of a virtual declaration of martial law in a small town in Arkansas -- and of the ACLU's predictable, and commendable, objection to the same. Largely unnoticed, though, is the troubling fact that the "state of emergency" may create an opportunity for local criminals.

Invoking an ordinance relating to civil emergencies in response to a surge of violent crime in parts of the town, Mayor James Valley of Helena-West Helena, Arkansas, imposed an all-day curfew, with "[n]o loitering, standing or 'hanging-out'” permitted.

Less well-covered is the fact that the text of the order, available at Mayor Valley's blog, also allows for forcible evictions of people from homes where crimes have been reported.

The Code Enforcement Department has been directed to pursue Nuisance Abatement (Evictions) for those persons residing in homes, in the affected areas, where at least three (3) criminal violations have occurred within the most recent time period allowed to be considered by law.

People aren't just being driven from the streets -- they're also being tossed from their dwellings as local officials suspend fundamental rights in the name of law and order.

Local police are responsible for enforcing the curfew, of course. The Associated Press reported, "Thursday night, 18 to 20 police officers carrying M-16 rifles, shotguns and night-vision scopes patrolled the "curfew zone." They arrested about eight people and confiscated drugs and loaded weapons."

That's disturbing news all by itself. The cops have been given carte blanche to run roughshod over an already troubled neighborhood -- even angels would have difficulty wielding such power without trampling people's rights, and police are people, not angels.

But there's reason to wonder if some of the uniformed enforcers wandering the streets of that unfortunate community are actually opportunists. Just last month, The Daily World, the local newspaper, warned that uniforms had been stolen during a break-in at an officer's home.

“Unless you know who the person is it is a good idea to find out who’s outside before opening your door to just anyone,” said Col. Fred Fielder of the Helena-West Helena Police Department.

A state of emergency that empowers police is quite an opportunity for anybody nervy enough to simply pretend to be a police officer. It's bad enough to open your door to a government official who wants to force you from your home. It's worse to open your door and discover that those officials you have good reason to fear have simply handed a weapon to the freelance thugs.

Helena-West Helena Expands 24-Hour Curfew, ACLU Protests
City Under Lockdown as Aggressive Police Operation Underway (http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7190355&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1)
Last Edited: Tuesday, 12 Aug 2008, 12:22 PM CDT
Created: Tuesday, 12 Aug 2008, 12:22 PM CDT
---

By JON GAMBRELL
Associated Press Writer

HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. (WHBQ FOX13 myfoxmemphis.com) -- Police likely will expand their 24-hour curfew patrols beyond the 10 blocks currently watched by officers armed with military rifles and night-vision goggles, the police chief said Tuesday.

Police Chief Fred Fielder said the patrols have won the support of community members and city leaders in the wake of random shootings in a neighborhood beset by drug trafficking violence. However, officials with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas say the surveillance likely violates the constitutional rights of those living in the neighborhood.

"We've had people call us, expressing concern for their children," Fielder told The Associated Press. "They had to sleep on the floor, because of stray bullets."

So far, police have arrested 32 people during the operation that began last week. Fielder said 10 of those arrests came on felony charges, including the arrest of two people carrying both drugs and weapons in a neighborhood that was once a part of West Helena.

Fielder said officers have not arrested anyone for violating the curfew, noting those on foot and vehicle patrols only stop to question those about why they are outside. Those without good answers or acting nervously get additional attention, Fielder said.

Fielder said officers in the field carry military-style M-16 or M-4 rifles, some equipped with laser sights. Other officers carry short-barrel shotguns.

"We're not here to play," the police chief said. "The citizens need to be protected. The criminal element is heavily armed" with pistols and AK-47s.

Fielder said much of the violence came from crack and marijuana dealers in the city, who fire wildly in the neighborhood. He noted how the city of Hartford, Conn., recently began its own curfew after violence.

The City Council is scheduled to discuss the curfew during a meeting scheduled for noon Tuesday.

The ACLU sent a letter to the city, saying Mayor James Valley's order for the curfew violates the Fourth Amendment and that placing adults under house arrest is unconstitutional.

The city, created in 2006 after the rival cities of Helena and West Helena joined, is in one of the nation's poorest regions, trailing even parts of Appalachia in its standard of living. Phillips County lost a third of its population from 1970 to 2000 and, of the 24,107 people who remain, more than a quarter live in poverty.

If you enjoyed reading about "Martial law imposed by MAYOR in Arkansas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rachen
August 12, 2008, 03:46 PM
Drugs and gangbanging? In Arkansas???????:what::eek::fire:

***!

ilbob
August 12, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am not sure why a ten block area of a town being patrolled by 20 cops would need to be locked down. One would think that would be the safest place in the world to be.

El Tejon
August 12, 2008, 04:03 PM
Marshal law? Is that Law of the United States Marshal?:D

Vern Humphrey
August 12, 2008, 04:03 PM
Helena-West Helena is in Phillips County, the poorest of all 3015 counties in the US. It has an adult illiteracy rate (at last check) of 43%. It has lost about 10% of it's population in this decade -- and most of those lost are those with any education, who can get jobs.

It is a prime example of the failure of the Great Society.

bogie
August 12, 2008, 04:07 PM
It's spelled "martial."

You need to go slap your English teacher around now, for letting you get away with your "I'll never need to learn to read or write, because I plan on digging ditches for a living" excuse.

Cougfan2
August 12, 2008, 04:11 PM
This sounds more like China than the U.S.

FourTeeFive
August 12, 2008, 04:20 PM
Next thing you know some Mayor will hire Blackwater to come in and take care of his "problem".

mbdolfin
August 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
Sorry, but i agree with it totally. i wish they could do the same in Camden NJ and Philadelphia. clean those places up.
If it were up to me... i would have the military go in and and take out every gun toting, drug dealing gangbanger. there is no room in the world for them.
I live 5 minutes from Philadelphia and i will not go into that city unless i have my glock 27 with me.

FourTeeFive
August 12, 2008, 04:25 PM
I am not sure why a ten block area of a town being patrolled by 20 cops would need to be locked down. One would think that would be the safest place in the world to be.

Exactly. Why the need for martial law?

MinnMooney
August 12, 2008, 04:27 PM
How is anyone supposed to go to work or the store if, indeed, the 10-block area is under 24 hour curfew??

military-style M-16 or M-4 rifles And why is it that if the cops carry fully-auto M16s , they're called military-style weapons but if a civilian carries a semi-automatic AR-15 it's called an assault rifle?!?

Sam
August 12, 2008, 04:28 PM
It's spelled "martial."
Yeah and it means military and Hizzoner has neither a military to impose it nor the authority to do so.
Meaningless bovine fecal material.

Sam

Shung
August 12, 2008, 04:30 PM
because you are the evil civilian.. and they are the good leo's ;)

Brass Rain
Looks to me like the officers in that area are finally earning their keep. Maybe they'll be able to help the town out.

h2ojunkie
Sorry, but i agree with it totally. i wish they could do the same in Camden NJ and Philadelphia. clean those places up.
If it were up to me... i would have the military go in and and take out every gun toting, drug dealing gangbanger. there is no room in the world for them.
I live 5 minutes from Philadelphia and i will not go into that city unless i have my glock 27 with me.

You won't go in the neighborhood without your glock?

So tell me, what is to stop them from "taking" you out, after all you are gun toting by your own admission, and how are they to know you're not a gang banger?

thegriz
August 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
Marshal law? Is that Law of the United States Marshal?

It's spelled "martial."

You need to go slap your English teacher around now, for letting you get away with your "I'll never need to learn to read or write, because I plan on digging ditches for a living" excuse.

Fixed it - in your face:)

At least I didn't post "marital" law, which is even harsher.

230RN
August 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
Anyone have the text of Hizzoner's Oath of Office handy?

I wouldn't mind looking it over for references to the Constitution.

Just to see what it says about it. Or maybe his Oath of Office simply expired or something.

The ACLU-Arkansas letter to Hizzoner:

http://www.acluarkansas.org/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=4

shevrock
August 12, 2008, 06:20 PM
I can understand the patrolling cops, but the 24-hour curfew. If i remember correctly, it next to completely illegal to place someone under house arrest without due process of the law. That does exclude REAL martial law. What i want to know though, is what gives the mayor a right to do this. isn't it the governor or the president that declares martial law?

And why is it that if the cops carry fully-auto M16s , they're called military-style weapons but if a civilian carries a semi-automatic AR-15 it's called an assault rifle?!?

+1 :)

chadintex
August 12, 2008, 06:20 PM
Stalin would be proud. Punishing many for the actions of a few.

yokel
August 12, 2008, 06:36 PM
Of course, the ultimate responsibility for maintaining a community within which the criminal element are not welcome lies with the local residents.

There is little that public officials can do about crime in these communities if they can't gain the support of residents.

Accordingly, such neighborhoods should be written off.

Cosmoline
August 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
The mayor is just locking down the quarters. A very, very old practice in those parts.

feedthehogs
August 12, 2008, 06:51 PM
Stalin would be proud. Punishing many for the actions of a few

Live as a law abiding individual in that 10 block corridor or just outside it and then you can comment.

Most of the law abiding people who live in these high crime areas welcome police action like this to make their living areas safer.

Which is worse, living under a manditory curfew for a week by the law or live under the fear of rape, robbery, murder, beatings 24/7?

ScottyT
August 12, 2008, 06:55 PM
Which is worse, living under a manditory curfew for a week by the law or live under the fear of rape, robbery, murder, beatings, robberies 24/7?

The latter, by far.

Guns and more
August 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
Just so you know, this town is about 50 mi. from Memphis, along the river.
How is anyone supposed to go to work or the store if, indeed, the 10-block area is under 24 hour curfew??
I have a feeling no one works in that area.
And why is it that if the cops carry fully-auto M16s , they're called military-style weapons but if a civilian carries a semi-automatic AR-15 it's called an assault rifle?!?
You do make a good point!

In my city, the mayor went in and kicked people out of crack houses, then bulldozed them before any more crackheads could move in.
She's been re-elected and no-one is complaining.
Maybe the ACLU lawyers should take some of these structurally deprived people to live in their homes. Wanna bet?
Frankly, I'd like a police cruiser to drive up my street every so often, instead of spending all their time trying to keep the monetarily subjugated from killing each other.

General Geoff
August 12, 2008, 07:17 PM
The latter, by far.

^^Agreed

Harvster
August 12, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think the program should be extended nationwide. Think of all the high crime areas that could benefit. I don't know why no one has thought of a nationwide 24hr curfew before. I think those that agree with this are on to something.:scrutiny:

Rachen
August 12, 2008, 07:42 PM
Which is worse, living under a manditory curfew for a week by the law or live under the fear of rape, robbery, murder, beatings 24/7?

I rather live in FREEDOM. So I wouldn't mind too much about the crimes and assorted nastiness. Thats what my CCW is for. Thats why I carry a gun in the first place.

Zoogster
August 12, 2008, 07:43 PM
Most legal and legislative precedents that later developed into things used to oppress us all started by targeting a segment of society people at the time agreed with.

Most laws on firearms and many other weapons originaly were implemented in ways that primarily targeted individuals many in society didn't want armed at the time without effecting the general population. Yet in time they were applied to all, and are also the foundation many others have been built on that target all citizens.

Freedom trumps any immediate gains accomplished through tyrannical authoritarian actions. You rarely get back rights you willingly give up.

wideym
August 12, 2008, 07:45 PM
The people in the 10 block area can go to the store, work, or any other place they want. They are not under house arrest, they just cannot hang out on the corner i.e. loitering.

The mayor imposing martial law is a really stupid move on his part, he should have just assigned 20 or so officers to partol that area on a round the clock basis or even opened a branch office of the police station right in the middle of the neighborhood.

lee n. field
August 12, 2008, 07:57 PM
Drugs and gangbanging? In Arkansas???????

Clinton country. Youbetcha.

Rachen
August 12, 2008, 08:01 PM
Clinton country

YIKES!:eek: The first time "Clinton" ever came to mind when thinking about Arkansas.

Every time I traveled down there, I usually never go to the cities. I always preferred the rural areas and some small towns with nice "hony-tonk" settings. Never went to the cities. Perhaps thats why I don't know "hoods" or "ghettos" existed down there.

Hook686
August 12, 2008, 08:05 PM
Main Entry: martial law
Function: noun
Date: 1933
1 : the law applied in occupied territory by the military authority of the occupying power
2 : the law administered by military forces that is invoked by a government in an emergency when the civilian law enforcement agencies are unable to maintain public order and safety

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/martial%20law

Can a civilian law enforcement agency be called upon to administer martial law ?

Cosmoline
August 12, 2008, 08:28 PM
The latter, by far.

Ditto that. If it gets that bad *I* will start carrying an AK clone around with me. Indeed I've done it before. Looking to some tin pot dictator of a mayor and his yokel thugs to solve the problem is a big part of the problem to begin with. A "law enforcement" organization that preemptively sentences me to house arrest has crossed the line into tyranny. I'd be the first in line to get arrested and sue them and their corrupt gobment into oblivion. Hopefully the ACLU will do something good for a change and crush these little nazis.

Most of the law abiding people who live in these high crime areas welcome police action like this to make their living areas safer.

Ha

TeamPrecisionIT
August 12, 2008, 08:31 PM
I was under the impression that martial law was for the Nat'l Guard/Military when there is a major civil unrest i.e. major rioting, violent protesting, etc. What seems to be happening here is more along the lines of a forced community watch, since obviously the law abiding citizens feel they can't do it themselves, which is pathetic. The citizens either feel a) they have nothing to fight for or b) fighting for what they have is not worth it. Either one is pretty sad and they need to get a kick in the nuts, not a 24 hour watch provided by the tax payers, yet another hand out.

Damian

MGshaggy
August 12, 2008, 08:44 PM

So you'd willingly trade liberty for a little temporary security?

TeamPrecisionIT
August 12, 2008, 08:49 PM
If someone imposed a curfew like that around here, they better take cover. My freedom is what makes me love this country. I would never trade liberty for a band aid on a problem that needs to be handled by the residents like me. The police/military have their place, but its not in defending my personal property, that's my problem. All they need to do with it is write the report once I'm done defending it.

Damian

macadore
August 12, 2008, 09:07 PM
Most of the law abiding people who live in these high crime areas welcome police action like this to make their living areas safer
How many of them do you know? What percentage of your friends live in these areas?

I think the program should be extended nationwide. Think of all the high crime areas that could benefit. I don't know why no one has thought of a nationwide 24hr curfew before. I think those that agree with this are on to something.

Adolph Hitler rode a similar sentiment into power. Germany allowed him to declare martial law until he got the riots under control. The rest is history.

So do all of you side with the gun grabbers or the ACLU on this one?

Tully M. Pick
August 12, 2008, 09:11 PM
Adolph Hitler rode a similar sentiment into power. Germany allowed him to declare martial law until he got the riots under control. The rest is history.

Harvster is jerking your chain.

Seminole
August 12, 2008, 09:14 PM
I think the program should be extended nationwide. Think of all the high crime areas that could benefit. I don't know why no one has thought of a nationwide 24hr curfew before. I think those that agree with this are on to something. :scrutiny:

So do all of you side with the gun grabbers or the ACLU on this one?

Umm, I think your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. . . . Note the "scrutinize" smilie in Harvster's post. ;)

HIcarry
August 12, 2008, 09:14 PM
But there's reason to wonder if some of the uniformed enforcers wandering the streets of that unfortunate community are actually opportunists. Just last month, The Daily World, the local newspaper, warned that uniforms had been stolen during a break-in at an officer's home.

“Unless you know who the person is it is a good idea to find out who’s outside before opening your door to just anyone,” said Col. Fred Fielder of the Helena-West Helena Police Department.
At the risk of taking this off issue, exactly how would the good Col. Fielder suggest someone handle such a situation? Open the door immediately upon seeing what appears to be police uniforms and run the risk of imposters gaining access to your home? Or, refuse to answer and run the risk of the police kicking down your door and shooting you or your dogs?

plexreticle
August 12, 2008, 09:36 PM
Local Yocals will take your rights faster than the feds any day of the week.

An even though what they are doing is unconstitutional and against federal law nobody will be legally held accountable.

macadore
August 12, 2008, 09:39 PM
Harvster is jerking your chain.
Mia culpa!

Drgong
August 12, 2008, 09:39 PM

The Latter,

plexreticle
August 12, 2008, 09:49 PM
Put a 1 week curfew on the cops and let the citizens exercise their human right to self defense and clean up their own neighborhood.

ServiceSoon
August 12, 2008, 09:52 PM
Live as a law abiding individual in that 10 block corridor or just outside it and then you can comment.
This is not good logic.

Good point! Freaking media.

I am sure they will allow you on your way if your papers are in order.

RP88
August 12, 2008, 10:06 PM

I'd rather live with a criminal than live like a criminal.

Weezy
August 12, 2008, 10:08 PM
Which is worse, living under a manditory curfew for a week by the law or live under the fear of rape, robbery, murder, beatings, robberies 24/7?

I'm pretty sure someone famous said that it's ok to trade freedom for safety.

OH WAIT (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1381.html)

green country shooter
August 12, 2008, 10:11 PM
It's not martial law. That's the thread title. The article asks if this is like martial law. It's not. Martial law has a special meaning. Let's not confuse it with curfews and stepped up police presence.

Mr Thundermaker
August 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
James Valley, the Mayor of Helena-West Helena is supreme ******bag on a power trip. He is trying to draw heat off of him for recently raiding the cities dog pound and hauling about 20 starving and diseased dogs away from the pound personally and turning them loose in the national forest. The Humane Society is all over this scumbag, and he gets on tv and threatens anybody from the governor on down to try to come to his town and tell him how to run it.

He won't back off of this until he is ready to. He has the bluff on everybody, and nobody seems to want to call it. Civil liberties don't mean diddly squat to this guy, its his town and he will run it as he pleases. Just ask him. Mr T

doc2rn
August 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
They are just taking a page from DC's handbook. If they can do it in the capitol they can do it anywhere.

BAT1
August 12, 2008, 10:53 PM
This sounds like a terrible failure of the LEO's to get a grip on crime. As for the drugs, You must remember old Slick Willie ruled there once. Just take the usual l swat teams and go bust the gangers, disarm them and do the N.O. thing with them. Gang bangers should rank up there with terrorists.

bernie
August 12, 2008, 11:07 PM
Guys,

You really have to know about the whole situation in Helena-West Helena to appreciate it. I live about an hour from there and know the area well. This place is practically the third world. Mr. Thundermaker is right about the mayor turning all of the dogs in the pound loose into a national forest because they could not "afford" to keep it up. The city attorney is the mayor's twin brother, no kidding.

A friend of mine worked for a company that provided door to door garbage pick up. At one point, the mayor decided they were going to cancel the contract and start doing the work themselves. There were no grounds for cancellation. The garbage company got a decent settlement!

There have been police investigations by various police agencies into various public officials within the city from past administrations for corruption. If I remember correctly, the city council gave themselves a pay advance a few years ago for approximately a years worth of pay, and many of these councilmembers were not reelected. Getting an advance for a job you will not have when the advance pay should have been drawn is a neat trick.

Reddog1
August 12, 2008, 11:09 PM
it seems that the people of this country are being tested
in different situations by different means. remember N.O.
gun grab? may not be so, just seems that way to me.

Drgong
August 12, 2008, 11:12 PM
now I remember this guy (the dog thing)

the mayor is a loon...

ColinthePilot
August 12, 2008, 11:21 PM
This sounded fishy to me from the get-go. I immediately had visions of jack-booted thugs strolling the streets in riot gear, harassing every person they see with or without probable cause, and saluting the fuhrer....oops. did I say fuhrer? I meant mayor.
Lets hope his highness, Mayor Dailey, doesn't get any inspiration from this town.

caseypj
August 12, 2008, 11:43 PM
Thank LBJ for areas like this, he's made it possible for entire communities to live off handouts and crime. What can you expect local LEO to do? There must be some rule of law.

macadore
August 13, 2008, 12:13 AM
Thank LBJ for areas like this, he's made it possible for entire communities to live off handouts and crime. What can you expect local LEO to do? There must be some rule of law.

IMO, “The Great Society” was a bribe to get people to stop rioting in the sixties. The problem with bribing people is that they always want more. Nixon signed more legislation in this direction than Johnson did.

SageMonkey
August 13, 2008, 12:18 AM
What can you expect local LEO to do? There must be some rule of law.

I would expect them to preserve and defend the Consitution, and I presume that they have taken an Oath which in part promises that they shall.

Yes, there must be rule of law- and that starts with our governments' most basic source of authority, the Constitution, and in particular in this case the Bill of Rights. Without that, as far as I am concerned, the yahoos with m16s and badges might be no better than the ones dealing dope.

FourTeeFive
August 13, 2008, 01:25 AM
More info on the Mayor:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/097/084

http://www.jfvalley.com/

http://petloverstips.com/ForTheLoveoftheDog/news-updates/arrest-warrant-issued-for-helena-west-helenas-mayor-james-valley

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=27fe6fd4-3431-4a57-8f8c-d17a4a6db34c&rss=315

george29
August 13, 2008, 01:41 AM
So you'd willingly trade liberty for a little temporary security?

Sadly, far too many that would.

siglite
August 13, 2008, 01:43 AM

Hmm.... those who say the latter... brings a quote to mind.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

SFvet
August 13, 2008, 02:07 AM
Why not just allow more CCW holders? I mean more good guys with firearms would deter those small numberd thugs from doing wrong.

pistolero6869
August 13, 2008, 02:13 AM
Book em Dano!

zxcvbob
August 13, 2008, 02:16 AM
What can you expect local LEO to do? There must be some rule of law.

I would expect them to arrest the mayor on his outstanding animal cruelty warrant. (yeah, like that's ever gonna happen) IMHO, the lockdown is probably just a smokescreen to draw attention away from the dog incident.

CRITGIT
August 13, 2008, 02:33 AM
It is a prime example of the failure of the Great Society.
And every Administration since!
The more discrimination ruled the worse those places are today!
Inclusion is a whole lot smarter and cost effective than exclusion and ignoring the elephant in the room!
It's America's dirty little "not so secret"....secret!! :mad:
The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas says the curfew is "blatantly unconstitutional" and has demanded that Valley lift the order immediately
Couldn't agree more!

CRITGIT

GarandOwner
August 13, 2008, 05:06 AM

So you want the military to go in and take out every guntoter.....but you never go there without ur glock?:scrutiny:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=82982&d=1218614761

KC0QGL
August 13, 2008, 05:15 AM
riding mower Was George Jones going to the liquor store?

SaxonPig
August 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
"DO something about the crime and the armed gangs running the neighborhoods!!!!!!"

"Wait, don't do THAT!!!!"

foghornl
August 13, 2008, 08:53 AM
Haven't been there since 1973 or so, but yeah, other than Helena-West Helena, Marvel, and a couple of other towns, Phillips County is primarily "agricultural"...farming. Not very well-off, financially speaking. Had some areas in H-WH that I wouldn't go into alone, even waaaay back then, when they were 2 seperate and distinct towns.

Calling Hizzoner The Mayor a ******-bag is well....insulting to feminine hygiene products.

pbearperry
August 13, 2008, 09:00 AM
This will be challenged in court and they will be ordered to cease and decist.

SaxonPig
August 13, 2008, 10:07 AM
The order was canceled as of 3PM last Tuesday, BTW.

The ones who seem to be complaining the least are the decent people who live in that area.

ilbob
August 13, 2008, 10:45 AM
It seems like some of you have blown this way out of proportion to what actually happened. It seems what really happened is some intense short term enforcement of existing laws.

A few months back I went to Mississippi. We had to drive though a place like this on our way to the plant every day. You cannot even begin to understand a place like this. One day when we were coming through, there was a house on fire. No one was doing anything, no fire or police presence. When we left for the day it was still smoldering. Still no evidence of police or fire presence.

There was a bar next to a bridge we had to cross. The bridge looked like it was about to collapse, had no railings to keep cars from falling off the bridge. There was a car in the creek. Looked like it might have been there a while. Maybe it drove off the bridge. Everyday we saw a group of men hanging out in front of this bar. Maybe 20 of them, just sitting outside the bar drinking. The bar had walls with holes in them where it had rotted through. You could see the floor inside the bar had holes in the floor as well.

A grocery store up the street was in just about as bad a shape. It had a tarp over the roof to keep water out. The tarp looked like it was on its last legs.

I have been to a lot of places in this country, but I have never seen anything like this before. It reminded me of pictures of refugee camps.

About the only building in the little town that did not look like it was about to fall down was a brand new post office.

Had to have been 3 or 4 people selling dope out on the main drag. They just stood there by the side of the road and sold their dope. Every one of them had a pit bull with him.

TeamPrecisionIT
August 13, 2008, 11:13 AM
And it should be the community that comes together and fixes all that crap. The people need to find self motivation to make their community right again. It can't be the government going and doing the work for the people, the people need to do the work with the government's help and/or money. If a guy like you drove by a neighborhood and noticed all those things, you're telling me none of the residents of the neighborhood notice? No, they do notice they just don't care or are too lazy to do anything about it, so they deserve to live in a ****hole and will continue to do so until they make the decision to change things around them.

Damian

Kentak
August 13, 2008, 11:31 AM
I rather live in FREEDOM. So I wouldn't mind too much about the crimes and assorted nastiness. Thats what my CCW is for. Thats why I carry a gun in the first place.

What a pant load that is. That is so easy to say if one doesn't actually live in a community where the criminal element effectively runs roughshod over everyone else, and I suspect very few of us on this forum do. And, not everyone can effectively bear arms in their defense. Many of the residents of such neighborhoods are elderly, infirm, or disabled.

The blessings of freedom can not be fully enjoyed when there is no civil order. A basic function of government is to protect citizens from the unlawful predations of criminals. To that end, laws and a criminal justice system is established.

We complain that law enforcement doesn't contain criminal behavior, and then we complain when LE attempts to get on top of the problem.

I know nothing about the history of the community in question, but it sounds like the political and law enforcement sectors have failed and allowed the situation to get out of hand. Their feet should be held to the fire to account for that. IF this curfew and increased police presence and show of force results in the apprehension of some bad guys and restoration of order for the law-abiding citizens, that would be good. But, it should be followed up with effective and constitutional policing and criminal prosecutions.

P.S. I don't disagree that decades of screwed-up social welfare policies and the promotion of entitlements without responsibilities are largely to blame for s***holes like this existing. And though it may be true that the residents of such places are largely dysfunctional, they do have a right to expect enforcement of laws against criminality.

K

FourTeeFive
August 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
"The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution."

Uh... ok, whatever you say, Mr. Mayor.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080813/ap_on_re_us/arkansas_town_curfew

Crime-ridden Arkansas town expands 24-hour curfew

By JON GAMBRELL, Associated Press WriterWed Aug 13, 6:41 AM ET

Officers armed with military rifles have been stopping and questioning passers-by in a neighborhood plagued by violence that's been under a 24-hour curfew for a week.

On Tuesday, the Helena-West Helena City Council voted 9-0 to allow police to expand that program into any area of the city, despite a warning from a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas that the police stops were unconstitutional.

Police Chief Fred Fielder said the patrols have netted 32 arrests since they began last week in a 10-block neighborhood in this small town on the banks of the Mississippi River long troubled by poverty. The council said those living in the city want the random shootings and drug-fueled violence to stop, no matter what the cost.

"Now if somebody wants to sue us, they have an option to sue, but I'm fairly certain that a judge will see it the way the way the citizens see it here," Mayor James Valley said. "The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution."

The area under curfew, in what used to be a West Helena neighborhood, sits among abandoned homes and occupied residences in disrepair.

White signs on large blue barrels warn those passing by that the area remains under curfew by order of Mayor James Valley. The order was scheduled to end at 3 p.m. Tuesday, but Valley said the city council's vote would allow police to have the same powers across Helena-West Helena.

Among the curfew operation's arrests, 10 came from felony charges, including the arrest of two people carrying both drugs and weapons, Fielder said. The police chief said the officers in the field carry military-style M-16 or M-4 rifles, some equipped with laser sights. Other officers carry short-barrel shotguns. Many dealing crack cocaine and marijuana in the city carry pistols and AK-47 assault rifles, he said.

"We've had people call us, expressing concern for their children," Fielder said. "They had to sleep on the floor, because of stray bullets."

Fielder said officers had not arrested anyone for violating the curfew, only questioned people about why they were outside. Those without good answers or acting nervously get additional attention, Fielder said.

However, such stops likely violate residents' constitutional rights to freely assemble and protections against unreasonable police searches, said Holly Dickson, a lawyer for the ACLU of Arkansas who addressed the council at its packed Tuesday meeting. Because of that, Dickson said any convictions coming from the arrests likely would be overturned.

"The residents of these high-crime areas are already victims," she said. "They're victims of what are happening in the neighborhoods, they're victims of fear. But for them to be subject to unlawful stops and questioning ... that is not going to ultimately going to help this situation."

The council rejected Dickson's claims, at one point questioning the Little Rock-based attorney if she'd live in a neighborhood they described as under siege by wild gunfire and gangs.

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."

The curfew is the second under the mayor's watch since the rival cities of Helena and West Helena merged in 2006. That year, Valley set a nightly citywide curfew after a rash of burglaries and other thefts.

Police in Hartford, Conn., began enforcing a nightly curfew for youths after recent violence, including a weekend shooting that killed a man and wounded six young people.

Helena-West Helena, with 15,000 residents at the edge of Arkansas' eastern rice fields and farmland, is in one of the nation's poorest regions, trailing even parts of Appalachia in its standard of living.

In the curfew area, those inside the homes in the watch area peered out of door cracks Tuesday as police cruisers passed. They closed the doors afterward.

conw
August 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_on_Precinct_13_(1976_film)

hso
August 13, 2008, 01:27 PM
OT, closed

If you enjoyed reading about "Martial law imposed by MAYOR in Arkansas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!