(AR Build Project) "Top Tier" AR manufacturer for upper with flip sights?

PDA

Kentucky
August 12, 2008, 04:04 PM
Based upon some research I have been doing lately I have decided to assemble a "top tier" level AR. I have already purchased a Sabre Defense complete lower. Next step is a barreled upper. I have looked primarily at LMT, BCM, and Noveske so far. What I am looking for is:

-Chrome Lined
-1/7 Twist
-5.56 Chamber
-16" Midlength

This one at G&R (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16N4-UPPER&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DNRIF) is what I want except I would really like to have a flip-up front sight. I have looked on all three of those manufacturers websites and I cant find where any of them make an upper without the fixed front sight. Can anyone point me to where I can find one, or a better option? Or do I need to just live with the standard front sight post?

The rest of the rifle will be completed with a BCM bolt, carrier, and charging handle. Havent decided on any particular handguards yet, or flash suppressor.

If you enjoyed reading about "(AR Build Project) "Top Tier" AR manufacturer for upper with flip sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tarvis
August 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
Why don't you call the distributor and ask if they will sub in a flip front sight? You could even do it yourself, assuming you know how to operate a hammer and a punch.

Kentucky
August 12, 2008, 04:19 PM
I have emailed them, I just thought the THR community might have some input on this idea, or some wise old man here might explain to me why I am foolish for even considering it and set me straight :)

Tarvis
August 12, 2008, 04:29 PM
Well, the way I see it is this: if you want it, get it. If you need it, get it. It would be nice to have the distributor change the front sight for you, but it is something you can do if they won't or want to charge you for it. I would get one if your optics aren't tall enough. Personally I'd stick with the standard front sight unless it was blocking the bottom half of the sight picture.

taliv
August 12, 2008, 04:44 PM
kentucky, you realize the "noveske" you're looking at is really only a noveske barrel that grant puts together. I'm sure if you ask, he'll be happy to assemble a noveske barrel in any config you want, including quad rail, flip sights, etc.

(edit: that's not meant to disparage the build in anyway... i'm sure it's a great product, good deal)

Kentucky
August 12, 2008, 04:48 PM
Well yes, I mean it is Noveske parts, he is just assembling it from what I understand. From what I have been reading Noveske is supposed to produce very good barrels? I shot him an email asking him about it, I am sure he will respond soon.

Tarvis
August 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
Let us know what he says, but I'm willing to guess he'll say they're the best.

Kentucky
August 12, 2008, 04:58 PM
I didnt make myself clear. I mean I sent him an email asking him about configuring it with a flip up front sight.

Do you have any opinions about a better supplier?

Tarvis
August 12, 2008, 05:07 PM
Better suppliers.. hmmm, I've used m-aparts.com and del-ton.com but they aren't exactly first rate top-of-the-line distributors. Del-ton.com is almost all DPMS while m-aparts.com is LMT receivers with wilson barrels. There is some skepticism on which receivers LMT sells to m-a, but they have a LMT inspection tag and some of the boxes have a ship-from address from LMT. I recommend getting a BCG separately as their standard BCG's are from a "current military contractor" and may or may not have been shot peened and MPI'ed. I haven't had any problems with them, but I didn't get very many bullets down the pipe before I sold the rifles.

I'm sure there are many distributors out there that do business with integrity and good ethics, the major difference will probably be where the parts come from, how much you pay and how much the like talking on the phone (read customer service).

Kentucky
August 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
I recommend getting a BCG separately

I do plan to get the bolt separately, this is the one I am looking at right now (http://bravocompanymfg.com/BoltCarrierGroups.html).

Also, I just got an email back from Grant saying that he only offers the Noveske uppers with the fixed FSB, so I guess I am back to looking.

taliv
August 12, 2008, 05:13 PM
well, i KNOW you can get a noveske upper from noveske w/o a fixed front sight because i have one on order myself.

otherwise, check into larue's stealth uppers

Kentucky
August 12, 2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks taliv,

S&R in Algood is a Noveske dealer according to the Noveske website, I may swing by there and ask them after work.

taliv
August 12, 2008, 05:21 PM
edit: kentucky, if you're in the neighborhood, swing by and shoot with us like you did for the mini TN get together last year.

Bartholomew Roberts
August 12, 2008, 08:52 PM
The reason that flip front sights aren't usually offered is because they are often set-screw affairs and this can shift or come loose with hard use (though I use mine hard and haven't seen it yet). All of the rifles you are looking at are generally marketed to the crowd that is concerned about maximum reliability.

The fixed front sights are offered because they are the most reliable. IIRC, there are some flip front gas blocks that are pinned; but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Another option is to use a pinned low-profile gas block and a rail mounted flip front sight.

Kentucky
August 12, 2008, 11:16 PM
edit: kentucky, if you're in the neighborhood, swing by and shoot with us like you did for the mini TN get together last year.

I would love to! When are ya'll shooting now?

The reason that flip front sights aren't usually offered is because they are often set-screw affairs and this can shift or come loose with hard use (though I use mine hard and haven't seen it yet). All of the rifles you are looking at are generally marketed to the crowd that is concerned about maximum reliability.

The fixed front sights are offered because they are the most reliable. IIRC, there are some flip front gas blocks that are pinned; but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Another option is to use a pinned low-profile gas block and a rail mounted flip front sight.

Thanks for your input. I will do a little studying on your last suggestion. I may just need to stick with the fixed front sight post because reliability IS my #1 goal here. If you dont mind me asking, what sights are you using that are working well for you?

Bartholomew Roberts
August 12, 2008, 11:18 PM
I am using the PRI flip front gas block; but I had it installed by someone who I trust (MSTN) even though I can do it myself.

atomd
August 12, 2008, 11:27 PM
It looks like it's not in stock at the moment but here:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1047

They sell some other ones that are close to what you are looking for too like the LMT MRP uppers which they seem to have in stock. The Larue stealth uppers are certainly "top tier" also (if you can get a hold of one). They are all around the same price once you add sights to the ones that don't come with them.

twofourthree73
August 12, 2008, 11:49 PM
This is what I'd do if I had to have a flip front sight. I'd free float the barrel with some 4 rail handguards and put a sight on the rail.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/prcharlie/SWMP15T.jpg

taliv
August 12, 2008, 11:56 PM
I would love to! When are ya'll shooting now?

heh, well, a couple of the regulars just bought those cdnn special FN $399 bolt guns, so some of us have been shooting every day.

but usually, sat and/or sun. (edit: prob both days this weekend, and i may take fri off and shoot too)

my cell phone hasn't changed, if you still have the PM from last year

KC&97TA
August 13, 2008, 03:52 AM
A few months back I finished a " SAM-R " Clone'ish upper for my wife... honestly, the $190 GG&G front sight has never been used, it's there for looks, I still need to get a KAC or an Arms 40 to fit under the scope then maybe I'll shoot it on Irons, this was quite the expensive build and the scope/mount combo will be replaced for something a little more authentic. The upper was build to make use of a NM rifle, but something normal wasn't an option.

FWIW: When I build another 16" upper it will have this build list and I'll go with a free float rail mounted front sight.

Flat Top Upper
Standard Chargeing handle
M16 BCG, MP Bolt
16" chrome lined barrel with 203 contour, A2 comp
MI Mid Length Free Float rails
PRI low profile gas block
GG&G or MI rail mounted flip up front sight

Just my $0.02 - build you're own, they're a sick addiction and you get exactly what you want, it's not that hard, it's just intimidateing at first to work on something that goes boom, or buy the upper you want and swap the front sights. My first upper build was a total crap shoot of miss matched parts, to build a 18" SPR, great upper, ugly, but a true shooter, build it because I had ' an extra ' ACOG I didn't know what to do with, LOL.

edited for picture and to add:

DPMS will do custom uppers, you're going to be waiting as they're 30k uppers behind I'm told.

Kentucky
August 13, 2008, 06:27 PM
I am using the PRI flip front gas block; but I had it installed by someone who I trust (MSTN) even though I can do it myself. Thanks for the info. I may talk to them when the time comes.

It looks like it's not in stock at the moment but here:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1047

They sell some other ones that are close to what you are looking for too like the LMT MRP uppers which they seem to have in stock. The Larue stealth uppers are certainly "top tier" also (if you can get a hold of one). They are all around the same price once you add sights to the ones that don't come with them.
That site looks like a good resource. I will shop it around a little.

This is what I'd do if I had to have a flip front sight. I'd free float the barrel with some 4 rail handguards and put a sight on the rail.That looks good, might be my best option.

heh, well, a couple of the regulars just bought those cdnn special FN $399 bolt guns, so some of us have been shooting every day.

but usually, sat and/or sun. (edit: prob both days this weekend, and i may take fri off and shoot too)

my cell phone hasn't changed, if you still have the PM from last yearI do still have your number, I will try to give you a call sometime soon. I am afraid I will go (more) broke if I hang out with you guys too much, but I would enjoy it :)

bratch
August 13, 2008, 11:42 PM
Noveske scroll down a ways its the low profile model.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=48

The Larue taliv mentioned
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100

If you enjoyed reading about "(AR Build Project) "Top Tier" AR manufacturer for upper with flip sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!