Khyber Pass Gunsmiths

PDA

Drgong
August 12, 2008, 11:29 PM
I found this cool, and it IS gun related...so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9xf62PKC5M

Ignore the occasional violations of the four rules :D :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Khyber Pass Gunsmiths" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
antsi
August 13, 2008, 12:04 AM
Dude does not give the impression he has ever handled firearms before. I have taken scads of first time shooters to the range and have never seen anyone hold a rifle as awkwardly as that.

Interesting video, though.

Logan5
August 13, 2008, 12:17 AM
Wow, that is fascinating. I bet if you could send R.W. Wilson over there, you would get one hell of a couple of books. The market in Darra still looks pretty much the way it did when Soldier of Fortune covered it in the 1980's. The narrator might not know much about guns, but he was plenty ballsy to go in and make that video.

ColinthePilot
August 13, 2008, 01:15 AM
The guy was ignorant as they come about guns, and he appears to shoot like a local(judging by how the locals shown in the video were shooting) but still very interesting. I really wish I could go shopping there. I bet they waive the NICS check at that store.

pistolero6869
August 13, 2008, 02:45 AM
Very interesting The vietcong could copy a colt 1911 in a half as way but it shot!

Drgong
August 13, 2008, 09:46 AM
yep, I was looking up Martini actions and came across this. They can use any sort of scrap metal and file, forge, and cut it into guns, and they copy it down to the writing on the guns, but since they are not used to the roman lettering, many times it comes out odd. The british gave them a bunch of guns and told them how to make them back in the 1800hundreds, and they been coping since thenm

They underload the cartrages since you do not want your reciver forged out of a old car to go "Boom".

They would make a good wall hanger, I am not sure I would actually shoot the thing...

Anyways, It would be nice if folks in the US where half as creative as these folks in finding work. Imagine having a 1911 that was made out of the quarterpanel and fenders of your old car :)

loneviking
August 13, 2008, 01:41 PM
I like the Darra philosophy of 'many sons, many guns!'. And the narrator is right that there is no way to beat these people if they are against you. Nobody over the centuries has managed to.

rondog
August 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hmmmm, do you think a fat old American would stand out too much there? I have a beard......

Tyris
August 13, 2008, 02:57 PM
I was there last year.

Darra Adam Khel is a pretty cool place, every other shop on the street is a gun store, each has their own specialty (the rest of the stores sell food!) What more could you want :evil:

Its common place for buyers to walk outside the shop and testfire their guns at the mountain side across the way, so pops from a local made Tokarev are heard next to a burst out of a PPSh-41 with the sound of some big-bore going off down the street.

Unless there is some tribal feud going between 2 families on I'd say there isnt much to worry about, as no one wants the customers to die -- because that is obviously bad for business.

Some of the videos claim that it is an "illegal market" -- not quite, I read through the pakistan laws in some online library and they clearly state that the tribal region is exempt from firearms laws. The rest of their laws suck badly with lots of ghey british influence and a dash of bureaucratic punjabi anti-gun slant thrown in for good measure. (heh, thankfully no one there complies with them much anyhow).

-T

Drgong
August 13, 2008, 03:03 PM
From what I understand, you just hire a few guys to make sure your not alone so your not kidnapped by someone, as most folks want it peaceful, and everyone is armed, so it is a polite society. ;)

I think hauling scrap metal to that down would be profitable, and it would be cool to see how they use odd bits of metal to make guns.

rondog
August 13, 2008, 03:27 PM
Of course, getting your treasures from there back home would be a challenge, for sure. Sure would be cool to visit a place like that, though. Probably smells pretty wierd to us Westerners.

Drgong
August 13, 2008, 03:29 PM
The bolt action and martini type action rifles actually do show up as curio type guns. (I did a search and there are few at gun auction sites) Wall hanging only unless you like a gun blowing up in your face...

If you enjoyed reading about "Khyber Pass Gunsmiths" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!