Rossi 22 and a tang sight at 131 paces

PDA

Harve Curry
August 13, 2008, 01:23 AM
This little Rossi 22, model 62 SAC is a good shooter. I shot these two squirrels at 131 long paces with it today. I couldn't see the squirrels without 10x50 binoculars, so I memorize the spot next to a branch that I could see with the naked eye. Then line up on it with the Rossi that I put a Marble's Tang sight on. I was in the pole barn lresting on the hay bales to shoot. I'll measure it with a range finder soon.
Here's a picture:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/NewMexicoOutfitter/2squirels130ydsRossi228-12-08.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi 22 and a tang sight at 131 paces" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hardtarget
August 13, 2008, 01:51 AM
Cool little rifle and some good shooting. I always liked small game hunting. Watching the woods wake up made for a very good morning.

Mark.

8040Cougar
August 13, 2008, 01:52 AM
I raise you a groundhog at ~130 yds. taken with a 60 year old Stevens Model 56 Buckhorn .22 :evil:http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-8/1319384/0811081810.jpg Who needs Heavy Barrel target 22s with 250 dollar trigger groups and 500 dollar scopes :D

Kind of Blued
August 13, 2008, 02:38 AM
I need to get a good critter getter. Looks like fun.

CRITGIT
August 13, 2008, 02:44 AM
Harve Curry,
Outstanding pic and shot!
My son's first gun was the Rossi SAC 62. What a fun gun! I still remember the look on his face when we got it for him.
I liked it some much I grabbed SA for myself!
As my old eyes get older I have much more difficulty shooting this great gun!
Thanks for the pic!

CRITGIT

Harve Curry
August 13, 2008, 12:16 PM
8040Cougar ,
In all that grass he must of been hard get a clean shot at. Their hard to drop with a 22. A Stevens Model 56 Buckhorn .22 , I'll have to keep my eyes open for that next time I go to a gun show.

CRITGIT,
Maybe the tang sight would help. I put a new Marbles tang sight from a Marlin 1894 on it. The original Rossi tang screw worked as is and front sight to. I still have to get the small front screw drilled and tapped. I was thinking of putting a globe front sight with cross hairs on it. Somewhere around here I had one for a 10-22.

8040Cougar
August 13, 2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah you have to wait and whistle for them to stand up usually, but do keep your eye out for a stevens. There old and rather plain but good shooters and if you find one It'll most likely be quite cheap. Ours used to have a peep sight setup but my dad put a bushnell 1.5-4.5 on it that works fine for what it is.

goon
August 13, 2008, 03:07 PM
Harve Curry - that's a hell of a shot with a .22 (or anything else)!

CRITGIT
August 13, 2008, 06:22 PM
CRITGIT,
Maybe the tang sight would help. I put a new Marbles tang sight from a Marlin 1894 on it. The original Rossi tang screw worked as is and front sight to. I still have to get the small front screw drilled and tapped. I was thinking of putting a globe front sight with cross hairs on it. Somewhere around here I had one for a 10-22.

I'll check into it! I see where there's a scope base made by BSquare but I hate to depart from traditional open sights on a pump!

CRITGIT

goon
August 13, 2008, 06:25 PM
I know that there was/is a scout style mount made for the Rossi. My dad had one on his but took it off in favor of the standard iron sights.

A globe front sight with the peep rear you have sounds like a good idea. I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard to get sorted out since the front sight is dovetailed in. Sounds like a fairly easy project.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi 22 and a tang sight at 131 paces" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!