AR-15 Bolt Stuck on spent round

PDA

orvpark
August 13, 2008, 01:47 AM
A friend and I took out the AR's this afternoon and spent a couple a hundred rounds each downrange. We were emptying our last mag when his jammed. He tried to clear the jam but the bolt stuck just short of closed and we cannot get it to budge. We split the halves and we can't remove the bolt that way either.

What do we do now?:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Bolt Stuck on spent round" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
August 13, 2008, 02:09 AM
If you know it is a spent case, get a ONE-PIECE cleaning rod and back it down INSIDE of the brass case from the muzzle end. Give it a light tap or two with a hammer and it should free itself.

There's another technique that involves slamming the buttstock on the ground if you're in a pinch. :)

Bartholomew Roberts
August 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
So what kind of Wolf ammo was it?

Timradcliffe345
August 13, 2008, 11:06 AM
LOL @ Wolf comment

ny32182
August 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
I'll second the question, is he *sure* it is an empty case in the chamber?

I got an AR jammed up like that once when I first started reloading, on a case that I later found was not sized correctly (i.e., out of spec ammo). The previous round ejected, and the new round went almost all the way into the chamber, but jammed slightly out of battery, and pulling the charging handle normally produced no result.

I got it home and eventually got it unstuck with an extra-hard tug on the charging handle. Got a gauge to make sure my sizing die was adjusted well enough, no problems since.

SSN Vet
August 13, 2008, 11:24 AM
tell the truth now....

it was steel cases Wolf ammo. wasn't it? :rolleyes:

Canuck-IL
August 13, 2008, 11:34 AM
There's another technique that involves slamming the buttstock on the ground if you're in a pinch
If there's ANY chance it's a live round, it'd be safer to slam the butt against the front edge of a bench with the muzzle under control and pointed downrange rather than straight up in the air.

I've had it happen once w a live round and it took quite a slam to free it up, but it did extract w no apparent damage to the gun ... use a wooden bench rather than concrete if you go this route.
/Bryan

jerkface11
August 13, 2008, 11:45 AM
While pulling back on the charging handle strike the buttpad on a solid surface. Making sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction. If it's a carbine stock collapse it all the way first.

rino451
August 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
+1 to what jerkface said. Works like a champ.

+1 top also knowing whether it's alive round in there or not.

Soybomb
August 13, 2008, 12:18 PM
Do what jerkface says, including collapsing the stock.

Are you certain its a spent round? I've locked my ar up with brass cased milsurp that wasn't to spec and got stuck in the chamber.

aomagrat
August 13, 2008, 12:26 PM
So what kind of Wolf ammo was it?

:D LOL

possum
August 13, 2008, 12:51 PM
that is the 2 tech that i have used succesfully as well.

1) cleanning rod, and if needed a brass hammer, which is arerly needed.

2) the pulling on the charging handle and popint the buttstock on the groud will work too i have only had to do that once, and i was sure that it was not a live round in there.

disclamer, weather there is a live round in there or not be careful and use caution.

also a note to add, as of late i have been having 0 issues with wolf ammo, and all lmy problems have been comming with winchester Q3131 which is ridiculious as it is so expensive, as well there have been alot of issues with lakecity as of late also.

Dirtypacman
August 13, 2008, 01:52 PM
Please update us with the outcome and what method you used as well as what ammo you were using when you can.

gdvan01
August 13, 2008, 01:57 PM
that is the 2 tech that i have used succesfully as well.

1) cleanning rod, and if needed a brass hammer, which is arerly needed.

2) the pulling on the charging handle and popint the buttstock on the groud will work too i have only had to do that once, and i was sure that it was not a live round in there.

disclamer, weather there is a live round in there or not be careful and use caution.

also a note to add, as of late i have been having 0 issues with wolf ammo, and all lmy problems have been comming with winchester Q3131 which is ridiculious as it is so expensive, as well there have been alot of issues with lakecity as of late also.
:scrutiny:

Rugerlvr
August 13, 2008, 02:18 PM
if you can, remove the upper from the lower, and try to bang the bolt carrier forward with a rubber mallet. It may free the action if you are able to close the bolt. (I had an identical situation once, and this is what I had to do.)

Acera
August 13, 2008, 02:47 PM
If you slam the butt onto a hard service to clear the jam, be sure not to hold on to a vertical fore grip if you have one. I did that and cleared the jam, and broke off the broom handle on the front. No lasting damage, just a few bucks for another one, grip the regular hand guard.

41magsnub
August 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
I've had to do the bang the butt on the ground trick two times with mine and yes.. each time Wolf military classic was involved and it was about 200 rds in. I've yet to have any soft of problem with any other ammo that has been put through the gun with the exception of one bad magazine.

After punching out the spent case a quick scrubbing with a chamber brush out of the buttstock cleaning kit and a shot of CLP made it work again happily with the wolf for another couple hundred rounds.

Whitman31
August 13, 2008, 03:06 PM
+1 to popping the butstock against the ground/table/bench while pulling on the charging handle. I've got a buddy who was buring up some extra wolf ammo and it happened 3 or 4 times in one day. Works perfectly...

orvpark
August 13, 2008, 03:09 PM
He was shooting the black boxed Wolf for the record. He got it out with a cleaning rod and some tapping.

He was having a few feeding problems (new gun), one of the case's that didn't feed properly got a little gouged and he inadvertantly put it back in a magazine. When it fed into the gun the gouge was just enough to keep it from coming back out. The ejector was on the case so the bolt wouldn't let go.

All is well. I wouldn't call it an ammo failure, just a operator error loading damaged ammo.

308sc
August 13, 2008, 03:13 PM
gotta love wolf ammo :neener:

Deer Hunter
August 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
Why shoot wolf when Silver Bear is cheaper?

41magsnub
August 13, 2008, 03:53 PM
In my case the wolf ammo came with the gun. The dealer threw it in as a sweetener.

Tarvis
August 13, 2008, 04:18 PM
The dealer threw it in as a sweetener
Actually he probably doesn't like you :neener:

ny32182
August 13, 2008, 04:49 PM
If its a brand new gun, he should probably break it in with some hot NATO spec for the first 200-300 rounds or so just to make sure everything is properly loosened up. I do that with all my new rifles and it seems to work well.

strat81
August 13, 2008, 06:06 PM
He was having a few feeding problems (new gun),
Hmmm, neither of my ARs had feeding problems when they were new. And no, they're not Colts, LMTs, or Noveskes.

possum
August 13, 2008, 06:19 PM
gdvan01,
are you gonna comment about my post that you quoted or just put a "scrutinized" smiley in there?

paochow
August 13, 2008, 07:10 PM
if you can, remove the upper from the lower, and try to bang the bolt carrier forward with a rubber mallet. It may free the action if you are able to close the bolt. (I had an identical situation once, and this is what I had to do.)

Unfortunately, I've had this happen with an out of spec metal snap cap and was unable to separate the upper from lower. I ended up shooting a bunch of lube down the bore, letting it sit and working the charging handle until it broke free.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Bolt Stuck on spent round" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!