Kilt Carry

PDA

ScottyT
August 14, 2008, 12:32 PM
So I picked up a Utilikilt brand utility kilt last weekend, something I have been thinking about since I met a couple of the owner/manager types a few years ago. A friend of mine has been adventure racing in his for over two years and loves it, the kilt has held up beautifully. These things are made right here in the US and are built like freakin' tanks. They are also a bit of a financial investment (I got mine for well under the wholesale price, but know believe it to be worth the listed retail price).

What do I have under my kilt? Absolute freedom and incredible comfort!

Here are a couple shots from the OC picnic last night:
http://xs230.xs.to/xs230/08334/kilt_oc_005809.jpg

http://xs230.xs.to/xs230/08334/kilt_oc_004212.jpg

For more info, check out there website: http://www.utilikilts.com

Mine is the Survival model.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kilt Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rugerlvr
August 14, 2008, 12:34 PM
Where's your Utili-sporran?

ScottyT
August 14, 2008, 12:36 PM
This model can fit 20 bottles of tasty beverage in the pockets -- who needs a sporran?!

Edit: I am glad you know what a sporran is!

TallPine
August 14, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm surprised that Carhart doesn't make a Kilt yet ;)

Norinco982lover
August 14, 2008, 12:58 PM
Utili-sporran LOL! The last time I wore a kilt I was 17 years old throwing newspapers at 3:30am wearing my kilt riding my bike caring a huge spotlight so I could see where to throw...ah midwestern kansas towns..the cops kept pulling me over cause I looked kinda odd but wasn't doing anything wrong... i had a white rabbit fur (i think rabbit?) sporran that held my keys:D

ilbob
August 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
I saw a thread on Opencarry.com about kilt carry. I think they eventually decided to boycott Utilikilt as being antigun for some reason. Some other brand of kilt has a holster built in.

I figure only a real man could wear a kilt.

jason10mm
August 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
I have a utilikilt. Alas, I didn't discover the attention it attracts until AFTER I got married :P

Provided you have a relatively flat stomach, broadish shoulders, and good calves, a utilikilt will make you IRRESISTABLE to the ladies, all of whom want to know what is worn under the kilt, to which you can reply:

"Nothing is worn under my kilt, 'tis all in fine working order."

"Socks"

and, depending on the attractiveness of the asking lass, "Reach under there and find out!" :P

My kilt belt is 2 inches wide so no holster would fit it. I can fit a 642 into the side pocket. But thunderwear would probably be the best, other than a sporran.

Thigh mounted derringer costs you a man card!!!

Prepster
August 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
A serpa, utilikilt, coke, and a springfield? You sir, are a man of exquisite taste.

Jim Watson
August 14, 2008, 01:01 PM
Lazarus Long wore a kilt with blaster strapped to one hairy thigh, a knife to the other.

ScottyT
August 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
I saw a thread on Opencarry.com about kilt carry. I think they eventually decided to boycott Utilikilt as being antigun for some reason.

I was part of that thread. Utilikilt may have one person in a manager position who is antigun, but the company most certainly is not!

A serpa, utilikilt, coke, and a springfield? You sir, are a man of exquisite taste.

What can I say? I only like the best! :D

jason10mm
August 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I just read the thread for the "proof". Seems like one employee mentions the owner is anti-gun as justification for why they wouldn't add a tool loop to both sides of the workmans kilt. No other details that I could find.

Possibly the owner carries a scottish claymore into the woods with him and therefore sees no need for a firearm :P

ilbob
August 14, 2008, 01:08 PM
I was part of that thread. Utilikilt may have one person in a manager position who is antigun, but the company most certainly is not! I am not a purist in my shopping. If the vendor has what I want at an agreeable price, I tend to buy it without asking all that many questions about extraneous things anyway.

conw
August 14, 2008, 01:15 PM
Thigh holster. Just lift up your garment, as whoever is going to see what's under there is about to be...KILT!

Wopasaurus
August 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thigh holster. Just lift up your garment, as whoever is going to see what's under there is about to be...KILT!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

hrgrisso
August 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
While I no longer have a utilikilt (long story, back woods camping, skinny dipping etc.) I do have a few other brands and carry with all of them.

To answer what brand has a built in holster your referring to NeoKilt. But the guys from KommandoKilts are gunnies from what I understand. SportKilt also offers a hunting kilt. Just FYI.

A few years ago I ran to get out of the rain with a rather heavy stuffed sporan and recieved what a fellow referred to as the Sporan SMACK! :eek:

Since then I've tried hard to keep my sporan light. :D

If I'm forced to wear pants I usually tuck IWB. But with a tucked in shirt that kilt wear dictates this is impractical for CCW. Hence I've also branched out on the road to experimentation.

While I enjoy a tankers rig for carry in the vehicle it's entirely unpractical for daily life and I don't care for shoulder holsters.

Currently I'm playing with the Safariland Thigh Holster with a few minor modifications, flipping the belt loop to work from inside the waistband, padding since the strap will be against skin etc. I have read some heinlen but now I'm going to seek out this Lazarus Long fellow. :)

It's always good to have more unbifurcated men on THR. If you find a solution that works better for you please do share.

ScottyT
August 14, 2008, 01:59 PM
When I get my new IWB holster I will cut the belt hook off my old one and use it as a pocket holster in the right-side cargo pocket. Putting all my other stuff on the left balances out quite nicely.

Seriously, you would not believe the pockets on this thing!

Cmdr. Gravez0r
August 14, 2008, 02:06 PM

I DEMAND AN OLEG POSTER

XDKingslayer
August 14, 2008, 02:17 PM

GOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG

Blackbeard
August 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
Q: What does a good Scotsman wear under his utilikilt?

A: On a good day, lipstick.

ilbob
August 14, 2008, 02:20 PM

I sense this thread is going in a bad direction.

exar
August 14, 2008, 02:29 PM

NIICCCCCEEEE!!!!:D

Prepster
August 14, 2008, 03:05 PM
I have to say I couldn't care less the political views of a company I do business with so long as they aren't giving profits to the brady bunch or something like that. A good product is a good product.

Tommygunn
August 14, 2008, 03:49 PM
I guess I'm a single-minded kinda guy. What caliber is that XD?:p

ScottyT
August 14, 2008, 04:12 PM
What caliber is that XD?

It is an XD .45 Compact with 13-round mag/extended grip.
The knife is a Buck Nobleman
The Coke is a Zero
The shirt is a timberland
The ring is titanium

Any other questions? :cool:

230RN
August 14, 2008, 07:28 PM
"Lad, I don't know where ye been,
"But I see ye won first prize"

Chorus: Ring ding diddle diddle i de o
Ring di diddle i o

Orvanic
August 14, 2008, 10:17 PM
Nice! I carried my KelTec PF9 last night in a 511 holster shirt, while wearing a Utilikilt out to dinner w/ the bride. I ordered a smartcarry today, just to have options.

Drgong
August 14, 2008, 10:32 PM
If i was self employed, I would be SOO tempted to go Kilt....

BMacklem
August 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
I wore a very nice kilt for my wedding, along with a fantastic "Prince Charlie" tuxedo jacket.

I still need to get a utilikilt for my everyday wear, and as soon as the funds allow, I'm a wearin' it.

I am not self-employed by the way, I drive a delivery truck , and I think I'd have a nice lawsuit on my hands if my employer ever tries to tell me that I cannot wear something that is a part of my heritage to work.

paintballdude902
August 14, 2008, 11:30 PM
scotty howd u save money on ur kilt ......I WANT ONE

idk what my high schools policy on kilts is though lol

Old Dog
August 14, 2008, 11:55 PM
Hmm ... I could borrow the wife's garter holster for a Kel-Tec or LCP as a back-up ...

1911 guy
August 15, 2008, 07:59 AM
Been there, done that. A 5" 1911 does not feel good thumping itself into your tender bits. I've since switched to packing the wifes' .380 in a belly band when carrying while piping. My sporran is usually filled with hemp, wax and other odd stuff.

If a man asks what's under the kilt, the proper reply is "same as you, just bigger" If the inquirer is a young lady, it's "are your hands cold?"

Robert
August 15, 2008, 08:23 AM
A few years back we had a guy in the band that carried, I kid you not, a DE .50 strapped to his leg. He was a BIG guy. Standing in line at the Safeway in Estes Park the thing went clattering to the floor, he picks it up like nothing had happened, hikes the kilt up and jams her back in the holster... I stick to a few pointy knives for my carry. I figure if they get close enough I'll just take their gun. And then play them a tune as we wait for the cops... ;)

Side note: I carry a 1911 daily... just no room for it in my kilt.

SDC
August 15, 2008, 09:10 AM
"Utili-sporran LOL! The last time I wore a kilt I was 17 years old throwing newspapers at 3:30am wearing my kilt riding my bike caring a huge spotlight so I could see where to throw...ah midwestern kansas towns..the cops kept pulling me over cause I looked kinda odd but wasn't doing anything wrong... i had a white rabbit fur (i think rabbit?) sporran that held my keys"

Norinco 982, that's the sort of story that almost REQUIRES you to build a battery-operated rabbit call into that sporran :-)

anythingshiny
August 15, 2008, 09:43 AM
outstanding!

i have 1/2 dozen UK's...3 Survivals...love the utility and the freedom as well.

will agree 100% with the sporran flop bonking against the bits.

some of the models have a traditional pocket that hangs below the bits...very easy to carry a pocket pistol.

nice pic though bro!!

there is a thread on kiltsrock where i posted up 'tongue in cheek' everthing i carry in my sporran...including a flight sim HOTAS, a bottle of Laphroaig and my USP CT

TallPine
August 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
If I ever wear a kilt, it will be the feileadh mr ;)

http://www.historichighlanders.com/belted.htm

I'm not sure how that works on horseback, though ... ???

Tribal
August 15, 2008, 12:27 PM
Odd...I just bought a kilt in Edinburgh the other day and was wondering how to carry while using it!

The kilt is actually really, really comfortable. I get looks wearing it (I'm in England at present), but no one's said anything negative yet. I will say, though, that it seems slightly indecent to me to wear a kilt without a sporran. With that in mind, a few options occur to me:

1. Inside the sporran. Kind of obvious, although it means that you can't really have anything else in there.
2. Behind the sporran. Surely something like a P-3AT could have a holster velcroed to the back.
3. Thunderwear or IWB (I'm sure something can be set up to allow IWB)
4. Strapped to the leg. I'd say inside of the leg is a loss of man points, but outside the leg is okay.
5. Wild West. A kilt's already supposed to have a belt about four inches wide; getting gunfighter belt shouldn't be a huge problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kilt Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!