Alaskan Package

PDA

ruger_dude
August 14, 2008, 04:34 PM
Whats your Alaskan package, only 1 handgun and 1 long gun the price of them must be under 1300 dollars.

I did it this summer with a Remington 870 with a slug barrel and a Ruger P90 and never once did I feel outgunned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alaskan Package" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
August 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
Combined price? Or each?

-T.

TexasRifleman
August 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
Marlin guide gun in .45-70 and skip the handgun.

ruger_dude
August 14, 2008, 04:36 PM
Combined.

Thernlund
August 14, 2008, 04:37 PM
Dammit Tex. That rifle was my answer. :scrutiny:

But, for a handgun, the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull. ;)

-T.

EDIT: I guess my picks come out to more than the $1300 when talking MSRP. But I'm sure I could get them both for under $1300 via other channels (Gunbroker, Bud's, ect.).

TexasRifleman
August 14, 2008, 04:54 PM
Dammit Tex. That rifle was my answer.

Great rifles aren't they? And still pretty reasonable price wise.

OregonJohnny
August 14, 2008, 05:23 PM
I have never been to Alaska, but assuming I would be out in brown bear country, which is what I assume the idea of the question was, I'd take my Remington 870 Marine loaded with Brenneke slugs, plus my Ruger Redhawk 4" stainless .44. Two all-weather guns with reliable actions and pretty decent fire power.

Larry E
August 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
The Forest Service did some field research a few years back, and the report I read from recommended the largest caliber rifle a person could shoot, and the .458 Win was their #1 choice if a person could handle it. No handgun and no shotgun slug would reliably stop an irritated bear. The Marlin Guide Gun in .450 Marlin or .45-70 would likely fill the bill. I'd really hate to aggravate an already unhappy brown bear by shooting him and not finishing the job right away.

Being bear food is VERY low on my list of things I've always wanted.

DoubleTapDrew
August 14, 2008, 05:42 PM
Ruger Alaskan in .454 and an 870, probably loaded with slugs (ie "Loaded for bear") :D

Thernlund
August 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Being bear food is VERY low on my list of things I've always wanted.

It concerns me, Larry, that it's on the list at all. :scrutiny:

:D

-T.

neviander
August 14, 2008, 05:50 PM
I still think these slugs are amazing and would, in the least, slow him way down, if not cut him in half after about 3 of them :)

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/accuTip_bonded_sabot_slug.asp

S&W 500 for the handgun....I would want to find some sort of shoulder/back, like a quiver for the 500. I would think that would get heavy on one side of the hip, if you were wandering around in the woods all day.

Cosmoline
August 14, 2008, 06:00 PM
The Forest Service did some field research a few years back, and the report I read from recommended the largest caliber rifle a person could shoot, and the .458 Win was their #1 choice if a person could handle it. No handgun and no shotgun slug would reliably stop an irritated bear. The Marlin Guide Gun in .450 Marlin or .45-70 would likely fill the bill. I'd really hate to aggravate an already unhappy brown bear by shooting him and not finishing the job right away.

I've heard of a few people hunting the largest bear with them, but I don't know anyone who carries a .458 wm as bear defense up here. That's an elephant gun. Do you have a link to that source? That would be for dropping a Kodiak at 200 yards, not stopping one at 20. Nothing this side of a 30mm cannon can absolutely guarantee a stop, but that's just the risk you run.

F&G, troopers and all the state and federal agencies I know of and have personally seen pack slug guns. Many, many brown bear have been stopped and killed with slugs. A brenneke magnum hardcast is if anything superior to a magnum .45-70 at close range.

Farnorthdan
August 14, 2008, 06:05 PM
Being a born and raised Alaskan I must say you guys are on the right track. Myself, I prefer a large caliber lever gun whenever possible, .444 marlin, 45-70 both work great. Allot of folks prefer a good 12gauge with .00 buck and/or slugs preferably marine coat. As far as a pistol...minimum .44 mag, myself I carry the Ruger Alaskan .454 casull but allot of guys carry S&W 500.

DS

mgregg85
August 14, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'd go with the 870 synthetic stocked rifled slug barrel for the long gun, preferably with the mag extension. I definetly wouldn't be using any kind of slugs designed to expand, i'd be looking for some kind of very hard cast slug.

As far as the handgun goes I'd take a ruger redhawk alaskan in .454.

Nate C.
August 14, 2008, 07:12 PM
My response depends entirely on what I plan to do while in Alaska. Am I up there to fend of bears, hunt caribou, suppress rioting, or rob banks?

Thernlund
August 14, 2008, 07:14 PM
How about all of the above. ;)

-T.

Nate C.
August 14, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hmmm...for application to 'all of the above', I can only think of the 60mm mortar.

TallPine
August 14, 2008, 07:25 PM
My response depends entirely on what I plan to do while in Alaska. Am I up there to fend of bears, hunt caribou, suppress rioting, or rob banks?

The really big question is: What gun for mosquitoes? :p

alistaire
August 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
The really big question is: What gun for mosquitoes?

Only .600 Nitro Express can down a Florida mosquito.;)

ruger_dude
August 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Just talked to one of my buddies, hes making the trip next month and is taking a Glock 20 and a bushmaster 450 tell me that won't drop a bear.

NG VI
August 14, 2008, 10:47 PM
I still think these slugs are amazing and would, in the least, slow him way down, if not cut him in half after about 3 of them

http://www.remington.com/products/am...sabot_slug.asp

A giant Golden Saber! wondiferous!

Loomis
August 14, 2008, 11:00 PM
I vote for 12 ga slugs.

paintballdude902
August 14, 2008, 11:10 PM
ruger hawkeye dressed in synthetic with a matt barrel chambered for .300 winmag

ummmmmm hand gun....... well im used to the ruger .454casull we have so ill take that

does this mean i can use the money i didnt spend on the rifle on a back up?jk

XDJ
August 15, 2008, 12:08 AM
I'm being a broken record here but my Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull and either my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 or my short barrel Remington 870 with slugs. All of which I'm very comfortable shooting so they would be very comforting.

gbran
August 15, 2008, 01:08 AM
My guides in AK were carrying pump shotties with buckshot 1st followed by slugs. They said a load of buckshot to the face would cause the bear's pause and a better opportunity to follow sith the slugs. Of course, this assumes an up close and personal encounter.

Monkeybear
August 15, 2008, 01:33 AM
Personally this would be included my bear defense plan.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/743185.jpg

If money is a concern I guess I would have to stick with a pump gun and a prayer. I would probably have a nice revolver in .454 just because I want one, but if the pump gun lets me down I'll probably never have a chance to use it.

They said a load of buckshot to the face would cause the bear's pause

How about a slug to the face?

dogmush
August 15, 2008, 05:50 AM
When I lived there (and guided) I had a Marlin .444 and a USP .40. If you have a good long gun you don't have to lug around a "bear" handgun. Pick something more versitle. There's other thing besides a Griz you might want to shoot.

Cosmoline
August 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
If you have a good long gun you don't have to lug around a "bear" handgun.

That's a good observation. Iron gets very heavy in rough country.

Dravur
August 15, 2008, 04:03 PM
I think a good Marlin Guide gun would fit the bill. Maybe add a hand grenade as a backup.

Soap
August 15, 2008, 10:55 PM
Guide Gun in .45/70 and a Ruger Single Six

stevelyn
August 16, 2008, 11:23 AM
I'd take my Remington 870 Marine loaded with Brenneke slugs, plus my Ruger Redhawk 4" stainless .44. Two all-weather guns with reliable actions and pretty decent fire power.

Good answer. I had a Brenneke blow through both shoulders of a young brown bear. He just stretched out and DRT.

My guides in AK were carrying pump shotties with buckshot 1st followed by slugs. They said a load of buckshot to the face would cause the bear's pause and a better opportunity to follow sith the slugs. Of course, this assumes an up close and personal encounter.

Even better answer.

Our first shot on dumpster divers is a load of #4 Remington Nitro Steel to the arse to discourage them from said dumpster diving, smokehouse chewing, etc.

However, if not sufficiently discouraged and they take exception, the follow up shot is a load of 00 Buck followed by Brennekes until empty and one or the other of us is dead.

This pulled my bacon out of the fire a couple years ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alaskan Package" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!