Tracers in NC

PDA

Aaryq
August 14, 2008, 08:42 PM
Howdy, folks
Since I'm moving from behind enemy lines to the free states, I'm not too aware of a lot of the gun laws from other places. Are tracers legal for use in NC by us common folk? Is there a range that allows the use of tracers in or near Havelock, NC (Cherry Point)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tracers in NC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
August 14, 2008, 09:13 PM
Dunno about the eastern part of the state, but Piedmont/Central part has been in heavy drought for the last 5 years. A tracer could literally set the world on fire.

fletcher
August 14, 2008, 09:28 PM
They're legal AFAIK, but probably not wise to shoot, as Tuner said.

Drgong
August 14, 2008, 10:09 PM
It is too dry really to shoot them. too much risk of setting off a grass fire...

SFvet
August 14, 2008, 10:54 PM
Check your county - I know when its really dry out here they issue no burn notices so you dont burn trash or anything. Field fires have been set by people throwing their butts out on the highway (illegal). After a good rain I dont see any harm in tracers - call your local sheriffs dept. and ask.

buck00
August 15, 2008, 09:55 AM
Tracers are "legal" in NC but you have to be cautious with them. :scrutiny:

First, I'd say most ranges (public or private) do not allow them. I'd look into private land.

I've fired on tracers on private land, but you have to keep your fire low and keep in mind, they can still skip and ricochet depending on what they hit. I've seen tracers ricochet off like 30 yards into the woods.

Years back, I witnessed someone shoot .308 tracers from an M1A on private farmland. It was the fall and dry out. One guy wanted to "see the tracers" better, so the shooter arched one (instead of shooting straight at the targets we set up). 5 minutes later, on the cornfield hill about 500 yards away we noticed steady smoke. Yup, a single .308 tracer caused a huge headache for us that afternoon! Luckily the corn was cut, but it created a ring of fire the size of a football field... until the fire dept showed up. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Tracers in NC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!