I am very impressed with THR

PDA

Blues Brother
August 14, 2008, 10:03 PM
I am a newbie here, and have been reading alot of threads lately. I have always been a gun owner, and have had a CCW permit for about 17 years now. I just want to say I am very impressed by the community here at the High Road. I wish that people who are "anti gun rights" activists would come here and read and learn about the common mindset of the responsible gunowners.. I am just very impressed by the kind of advice that is given here. I have been hanging around alot of internet forums over the last five years, everything from watersports, music, movies, and more. And I tell ya, you see it all, and you see alot of nonsense on some forums...and alot of screwballs shooting their mouths off. Well, I have to say this place is different. I have seen such sound advice here. The threads I read about personal and family defense are just so well thought out. Everyone seems to think the best advice is to avoid conflict all together and that guns are a last resort of self defense.

See, Its just that alot of anti gun people have a misconception about gun owners that we all are just waiting for the chance to shoot at someone which is completely bogus. Those people are so disconnected and uneducated from the real world of responsible gun carrying citizens. The reality to me is, all the people I know that CCW, are people that would do anything to avoid a conflict. they know that a gun is a LAST resort to protecting their own life, or their loved ones lives.

I just want to say I think this is a great web forum, and I have learned alot here in a short time, and I look forward to more great reading here. I hope I can be a contributing member and have the chance to help someone out. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "I am very impressed with THR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
guitarhero323
August 14, 2008, 10:16 PM
thanks and welcome

NG VI
August 14, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm pretty new here too, and it is the reason this is my forum of choice. No matter what I have been interested in, THR is ALWAYS in another window, even if I only look at it briefly before logging out.

Great place, tons of knowledge. More importantly, tons of people who have other forums they can direct you to for specialized information. Great place.

GhostlyKarliion
August 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
it's good to have you, Brother.

hope you enjoy your time here and take away a better understanding of things, as well as impart some of your knowledge to us.

enfield303
August 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
Blues, welcome. new guy buys the ammo. i'll take 9mm and .303 brit. :D

ZeSpectre
August 14, 2008, 10:23 PM
Blues Brother,
Welcome on board.

Drgong
August 14, 2008, 10:26 PM
welcome on board, I am new here too...

Nolo
August 14, 2008, 10:28 PM
Welcome to THR.
I think this here's one of the greatest groups of people ever.
They accepted me, they should get a medal.

Larry Ashcraft
August 14, 2008, 10:29 PM
We do our best.

Welcome and enjoy.

Deer Hunter
August 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
Wait....

There are other gun forums out there?

This guy's gotta be a troll!

:D

lysander
August 14, 2008, 10:31 PM
I stumbled into this place a few years ago and can't seem to find the exit. Welcome! :p

chute2thrill
August 14, 2008, 10:46 PM
Welcome.. I'm new here too and I find myself logging in everyday... Its like a free informative magazine that comes every day!!

JohnnyOrygun
August 14, 2008, 10:53 PM
lysander... I thought I was the only one who had that problem!:neener:

Blues Brother you spoke well and I agree with you. As a new comer here myself, I have learned a lot from the great wealth of wisdom here and all the great users that are here. It is The High Road after all. By the way, Welcome Aboard! We can always use more insight and of course your .02 and as Enfield303 said, new guy buys ammo... I need 45acp :D

Now if someone will point my way to the exit, I will go back to my corner :cool:

Little John

Tennessee Ned
August 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
I'm new too and also very impressed. I really like the pictures:what:
Like a lot of people probably did too, I did a search for info on a gun and one of these THR threads showed up. It was very useful info so I marked it, came back later and registered.

camacho
August 15, 2008, 12:06 AM
Welcome aboard! It's a great place no doubt!

ReadyontheRight
August 15, 2008, 12:08 AM
Welcome! And be sure to check out the work of our benefactor Oleg Volk. Just search the Google.

BA/UU/R!

neviander
August 15, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have to say this place is different.
Not to sound like a kiss [donkey], but I would attribute the quality of what you see here to the moderators/administrators. If they didn't keep us in check we'd get primal on a daily basis.

W.E.G.
August 15, 2008, 12:15 AM
...and alot of screwballs shooting their mouths off.

Hey! I resemble that remark! http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/smiley_freak.gif

Gunsby_Blazen
August 15, 2008, 12:22 AM
yep, its why I rather spend time here than over at ar15.com
its a really friendly place.

ReadyontheRight
August 15, 2008, 12:28 AM
Not to sound like a kiss [donkey], but I would attribute the quality of what you see here to the moderators/administrators. If they didn't keep us in check we'd get primal on a daily basis.

Amen! (Oops -- is that bordering on religion?) :evil:

YES! The Moderators keep the discussion focused, friendly and lively! Making THR the best Internet destination for the true gunny in all of us.

Tell your friends! (about both THR and the second amendment). ;)

Kentucky-roughrider
August 15, 2008, 01:01 AM
I am a newbie too. This is one of if not the best gun 2A site of the web.

230RN
August 15, 2008, 01:13 AM
Welcome, Blues Brother!

Tom Servo
August 15, 2008, 01:18 AM
Welcome aboard! Remember, the .45>9mm. Wheelguns trump both :evil:

This board is more closely moderated and is kept to a higher standard than most other forums (of any type) on the internet, which keeps things very civilized and mature.

Other boards may give opinions, this one gives useful information. Old Fuff has helped me with firearms esoterica more times than I can count.

redraidermgr
August 15, 2008, 01:26 AM
Welcome Blues Brother! I am pretty new here too. I showed up a couple months ago via google and have enjoyed it so much this is now one of my daily addictions. There is always so much useful info being put forth and if you ever have a question you will get so much info that you cant help but be happy you found the place.

Enjoy and Stay a while.

fiVe
August 15, 2008, 01:29 AM
As we all know: THR Rocks!

The Tourist
August 15, 2008, 01:31 AM
The one thing I enjoy is the personal relationships I am developing with hso and JShirley.

Ultimately a hobbyist forum (at least a good one) should be about creating connections, helping people out. Sometimes it means you offer advice a guy might not want to hear.

As many of you know, my retirement job involves knives. I could leave here, go only to the professional fourms which aid my job and technically lose nothing. After all, they joke around there, as well.

But I know some guys here, we even talk on the telephone. As much as a pain in the keester this can be at times, this is just another circle of friends (if you're lucky).

Steve Raacke
August 15, 2008, 07:05 AM
I'm a noob here as well. I have been lurking for a while now but only recently registered. This is the only gun related site I can log onto at work. The others I belong to are blocked. :mad:
What I like about this board is that the members aren't rabid super nuts who believe that everyone need a gun. For instance, in the thread about a violent neighbor, several posters recommended against the OP getting a firearm. Most suggested moving or avoiding the neighbor entirely. Bravo. This is truly a different take on things than you would see in some other sites. Here I feel like I'm among a higher class of shooter than many other places I've visited.

REPOMAN
August 15, 2008, 07:55 AM
I was a newbie once also.... I love it and I'm still here..... WELCOME!!!!

Superpsy
August 15, 2008, 07:59 AM
Welcome and thanks for the kind words!

hso
August 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
You'll come to hate the place like I do. ;)

It eats up waaaaayyyyyy too much time I could be doing useful things like mowing or cleaning or ...

It makes you want to go out and purchase a new this or that to see if the new hotness is a good as folks think it is.

It makes you want to go out and find old this or thats that folks gush about nostalgically.

It makes you realize that things are not the solution and that software trumps hardware most of the time (after you've spent all that time and money on new and old hardware).

Yep, hate it, hate it, hate it! :evil:

Walkalong
August 15, 2008, 09:45 AM
He's not kidding, it'll make you buy stuff. :uhoh:

But it's all good. :D

bowl443
August 15, 2008, 11:28 AM
I also used to participate in other forums until I found THR..

I get so tired of idiots posting things like "that's why I carry my ___, I would've just (insert idiotic comment here)"

I like the level headed, useful, informative, and real-life conversations here.

I also like the fact that some get slammed for these dumb posts, it runs off the idiots and keeps the conversations going in the right direction.

I've noticed some Senior Members here posting about how THR is going downhill; I'd say go look at other forums.... you'll be back.

myrockfight
August 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
I think we can all nod in agreement.

THR does a good job (Moderators, that's you!) of keeping this place clean and tidy. It makes all the difference in the world. Especially when you don't tolerate personal insults, cussing, etc.

This truly is the high road and I am ecstatic there is a bastian of decency somewhere on the internet for such an important cause.

The founder, moderators, and the members of this forum should all take some pride in making this forum what it is and what it stands for. Good on you guys! It is appreciated!

230RN
August 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
And welcome, yale!

SSN Vet
August 15, 2008, 01:10 PM
now why is it that for the next 3 hours I'm going to be running around singing... "I'm a soul man"

great handle, welcome aboard

Seminole
August 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
I stumbled into this place a few years ago and can't seem to find the exit.

You can log out anytime you like, but you can never leave. :cool:

Welcome, BB!

ridata
August 15, 2008, 04:23 PM
Welcome aboard Blues! Look forward to seeing you around.

Stevie-Ray
August 16, 2008, 01:48 AM
Welcome aboard, matey!:D

Just remember .45 ACP is better than 9mm
FAL is the right arm of the free world
Colt makes the best ARs
EOTech over ACOG
.22s are more fun than any of the above
Schmidt & Bender make great scopes that we can't afford
10mm is the ultimate all-around CCC

Commit that to memory and you'll do well here.:D J/K

Nematocyst
August 16, 2008, 01:56 AM
You can log out anytime you like, but you can never leave. Seminole beat me to it. ;)

I checked in here just over three years ago.
Haven't left since. Rarely visit other gun boards.
This just feels like home.

I spend way too much time here. :uhoh:

sm
August 16, 2008, 02:04 AM
Blues Brother,
Welcome to THR!

Humm...
While it is customary for the new member to buy the ammo around here...
I gots a better idea.
I likes good Blues.
Delta Blues...

Memphis Women & Fried Chicken, I likes that song...

Now I ain't picky, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Robert Johnson, Ry Cooder , Leon Russell, Stevie Ray Vaughn ...and we gotta have Bonnie Raitt...

Cut loose, I'm a listening...

I catch a whiff when I turn the corner
My mouth starts to water and I'm a gon-er
For the Memphis women and fried chicken, Memphis women and chicken

Yeah, I take my old guitar and I go down on Beale
Play some good blues and get a real good meal
I don't care if the whiskey ever hits my lips
As long as I get a taste of them bar-b-que ribs

Monkeybear
August 16, 2008, 02:05 AM
Welcome Blues Brother!

I am a member of THR, Glocktalk, CZForums, Rimfire Central, The Firing Line, Saiga 12, War Rifle, HK Pro, Sig Forms and AR15.

Of those I only visit THR more than once every few months....and I'm here just about every day. :p

Nematocyst
August 16, 2008, 02:08 AM
<Thread drift removed ...
we'll pick up that discussion of Memphis another day ... ;)

Nematocyst
August 16, 2008, 03:34 AM
In retrospect, seemed a bit of thread drift.

(I'm tryin' to do better! :rolleyes: )

I'll pick up this conversation
with sm about th' sa'outh
another day ... ;

SCKimberFan
August 16, 2008, 07:44 AM
So which one are you: Jake or Elwood?

Welcome to THR!

Biker
August 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
Howdy and welcome, New Guys. I'll take a box of .45 Long Colt and a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best light.

Biker:)

JShirley
August 16, 2008, 10:51 AM
Welcome.

THR has a lot of really good people, and has the express mission of reaching out to new or prospective shooters, as well as the old hands with lots to share. Glad to have ya. :)

John

Fred Fuller
August 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
Welcome aboard, and thanks- must not be Thursday...:D

lpl

(Thursday is Mod Bashing Day...)

Nematocyst
August 16, 2008, 06:58 PM
Yes, yes, where are my manners?

Welcome to all the new folks
to the greatest gun forum on the web.
(IMO, of course; YMMV.)

My manners? Well, first off,
ya gotta understand that I'm a drummer,
and drummers are not always very ...
well, er, ... oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

Plus, I'd just returned from a rather um, fun party last night.
Still in joking around mode when I started my friendly jesting
with sm about the "correct" <ahem> pronunciation of Memphis. :evil:

(That deserves a thread of its own!)

(By the way, SM, thanks for the heads up
about your current 20. Didn't know you'd moved.
My bad; yes, I do need to pm more often ... :cool: )

OK, it's hotter'n blazes in here this afternoon.
I'm heading to a coffee shop for a medium-sized iced ...
... anything, as longs as it's iced.

If you enjoyed reading about "I am very impressed with THR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!