Colt Grip Medallion Replacement

PDA

rswartsell
August 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
I recently bought a Colt Lawman Mk III 2" round butt. The revolver had been extensively holster carried by a LEO, and as a result the expected bluing wear was evident. Also, the grip on the same side as the heavier bluing wear was far more worn that the opposing side.:uhoh:

I was fortunate enough to find a set of Colt factory Mk III round butt grips on e-bay, and bought them.:D The e-bay grips were not matched well for color. One side the walnut was particularly light, but fortunately the side I wished to replace matched the original grips very well. So between one side original, one side e-bay I have a matched set without the excessive wear. Problem solved right?

Well one minor problem, the original grips have gold rampant colt medallions. The e-bay grips have silver grip medallions. :confused:I noticed this when buying from e-bay so it's not a nasty surprise. I deduced from seeing the medallions for sale separately that they might be removed from the grips they are currently on and perhaps reinstalled. Before I do anything to make the situation worse :cuss:I would appreciate hearing if anyone has attempted removal and replacement of Colt grip medallions.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Grip Medallion Replacement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sniper350
August 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
The medallions on my COLT Delta Elite were glued on with something that resembled "clear Hot Glue". This was on a rubber type grip panel. Just needed to take a Razor and carefully make a cut as I pulled the medallion away from the panel YMMV.

JF.

10X
August 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
Some are glued in very well, some not so well.

I would start with the take off grip with the gold medallion and try pushing is out. Then try to push out the silver medallion on the replacement grip.

You may well have problems with the wood tearing.

I don't think the rubber grips compare. Different material and non fibrous.

I have used Krazy Glue to glue in medallions on polymer grips. Really locks them in. Again different material than wood.

dfariswheel
August 15, 2008, 09:21 PM
The Colt medallions were NOT glued into the wood grips.
The Medallions on these later guns have a hollow tube that passes through the grips and the tube is lightly riveted on the back side with a triangular staking tool.

To remove the medallion, use a pair of jeweler's fine needle-nose pliers to straighten the ends of the tube up and return them to as round a shape as possible.
The better you get the tube back into a straight and round tube, the less change of cracking or splitting the wood.

Get a thick piece of medium rubber and drill a hole just large enough to pass the medallion, (a hole in a really large eraser works) put the grip medallion over the hole and use a punch to push the medallion out by hand.
Only tap gently with a small hammer if you just can't push it out by hand.
The rubber will prevent the medallion from splintering out or chipping the edge of the medallion hole on the front of the grip.

With the medallion out, clean the new medallion to remove any lubricant, put a small drop of epoxy in the bottom of the hole in the grips AND inside the hole that the medallion tube passes through.

Press the medallion in place, making SURE you have the medallion properly aligned with the pony and globe properly orientated.
(Compare the medallions on the other grip to insure properly orientation).

Usually, if you get the epoxy between the grip hole and the medallion tube, you won't need to re-stake the tube itself.

the foot
August 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
Colt medaillons are not glued.

Black Knight
August 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
dfariswheel correct me if I am wrong. I thought the gold medalions were for the Python and the silver were for the Trooper and Lawman series. If I am correct the silver ebay grips would be correct for the Lawman MKIII.

dfariswheel
August 16, 2008, 12:22 AM
About the time the Mark III series showed up in 1969, Colt was at least starting to use the Gold medallions on just about everything.

In the early 1970's they did still use silver on at least the Lawman, Metropolitan Police, and Official Police Mark III, but soon after, you started seeing gold used on other models, then all gold.

So, whether your Colt would have gold or silver depends on the the year made, and no one knows for sure just when one model definitely went to gold.

Black Knight
August 16, 2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks dfariswheel for clearing that up for me.

rswartsell
August 18, 2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I will carefully follow dfarrishwheels instructions and report results.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Grip Medallion Replacement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!