What's The Gun Culture Like In Ireland?

PDA

kingpin008
August 15, 2008, 02:46 PM
So, here's the deal. There is a chance that sometime in the next year, I will have a chance to spend three months in Ireland as an all-expense-paid internship though my school. I will be working (and getting paid - almost $5k in total over the three months) in a hotel restaurant. Pretty sweet deal indeed.

Now, my question is: What is the gun rights/shooting sports situation in Ireland? Is it comparable to England, in that there is really nothing allowed, besides maybe some use in "sporting" type activities?

I wonder, because if I'm selected for the internship I'd love to be able to be an "ambassador" or sorts in regards to American shooters, and it always helps to know the situation of the country you're in before you get into a discussion!

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "What's The Gun Culture Like In Ireland?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deanimator
August 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
How bad can it be? They keep turning up original 1919 prototype Thompson SMGs!

moga
August 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
I thought Ireland has a total gun ban a la England.

Edit: Unlike Scotland and Wales, it appears Ireland was spared in 1996 but gun ownership seems to be tightly regulated by the government and socially unacceptable by current modes of thought.

Cyclimus
August 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
I think Ireland still allows long arms... don't quote me on that but I recall a news story from a few months ago about an Irish farmer who was suing to get his shotgun back for defense of property or something like that.

nwilliams
August 15, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'm so jealous!:cuss:

I love Ireland such a beautiful country and the people are great! If the exchange rate wasn't so crappy right now I'd love to go back again this year for another visit:(

I hear Ireland is a bit more relaxed about guns than GB is so that's a plus, but they still have it pretty restricted there compared to US.

Have a great time and drink lots of Guinness!

Chipperman
August 15, 2008, 04:12 PM
All expense paid trip, plus you're getting $5k!?!?!

Congrats, that's awesome!

Samuel Adams
August 15, 2008, 04:21 PM
What's The Gun Culture Like In Ireland?
You're from Merry Land. What could be worse? Enjoy the trip. I'm green with envy.

mugsie
August 15, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hmmm.... it all depends on who you talk to and where you live. Now if you ask the IRA.....:D

kingpin008
August 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
Well, it's not exactly 5k. If I'm selected for the internship I'll be making 750 Euros/month, which, as long as I'm frugal while I'm there, I will come back with. So as long as I don't spend that much while I'm there, I'll come home with a nice bit of dough in my pocket.

I've never been farther than Wisconsin as far as traveling goes, so I must admit, if I'm picked I'll be pretty nervous. I'm very much a homebody, not very used to being away from comfortable surroundings. But, it's a huge opportunity, and not to be missed if I can help it.

I'll have to do some research on the gun situation there as well - thanks for the replies to far, I appreciate the help!

You're from Merry Land. What could be worse? Enjoy the trip. I'm green with envy.

For the record, I'm quite fond of Maryland. It's a great state, albeit with crappy laws. I could have it way worse.

Cosmoline
August 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
The interns have to share a Glock.

kingpin008
August 15, 2008, 05:11 PM
Haha. Change that to "Interns have to share the XD" and I'd be ok with that. :evil:

everallm
August 15, 2008, 06:18 PM
Which Ireland, there's Northern Ireland , part of Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland in the south. Two different beasties.....same great Guinness.....

kingpin008
August 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
You know, I don't recall where the hotel is located off the top of my head. I want to say Dublin, but I could be way off. We haven't gotten the application packets yet, so I can't check to see right now. I'll try to email my professor, and see if he can fill me in though.

And am I the only one who thinks Guinness tastes like sadness in a glass? I swear, I can't stand the stuff. And I'm over 50% Irish! (and I've worked in a microbrewery!)

Chipperman
August 15, 2008, 06:31 PM
I swear, I can't stand the stuff.

I'm with you. I don't like beer I have to chew.

anarchris
August 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
no one really drinks Guiness, only Yank tourist.
in rural Ireland they hunt with shotguns on St Stephens Day.
they think "you're mad" if you like guns too much.
you'll love it and you'll love comeing back home to freedom.

esmith
August 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
And am I the only one who thinks Guinness tastes like sadness in a glass? I swear, I can't stand the stuff. And I'm over 50% Irish! (and I've worked in a microbrewery!)

I am with you.

wheelgunslinger
August 15, 2008, 06:39 PM
And am I the only one who thinks Guinness tastes like sadness in a glass? I swear, I can't stand the stuff. And I'm over 50% Irish!

I think the drink reflects what it is to be Irish. Ask Yeats.

esmith
August 15, 2008, 06:40 PM
I think the drink reflects what it is to be Irish. Ask Yeats.

Are you Italian?

TallPine
August 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland.

BTW, I've been told that your fine city of "Baltimore" comes from the Gaelic Baile Taigh Mòr ("Town of the Big House").

kingpin008
August 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
I don't like beer I have to chew.

No joke. Now, I have nothing against dark beers, but something about Guinness makes me wonder how drunk the fellas who made it were before they approved the recipe.

I never understood why so many people fawn all over it - even if I'm not particularly a fan, it's still just a Stout beer. Nothing really special about it. There are tons that are just the same, or similar. Seems like some folks claim to love it for the "cool factor". Not all, but there are those types.

kingpin008
August 15, 2008, 06:50 PM
Tallpine - Baltimore was name for Lord Baltimore. Not sure exactly the origins of his name, however.

dresden8
August 15, 2008, 07:04 PM
You will need a firearms certificate to own any form of firearm, even an air rifle.

To get the cert. you will need a reason to have a gun, generally for sporting purposes and you will need to join a club.

If you intend to hunt you will have to get permissions off at least two landowners to shoot on their land.

Pistols can be gotten but generally a headache.

You will also need secure storage.

All that is academic as your cert. will probably not be processed in less than 3 months.

There are clubs you can go and shoot but they're pricey enough.

For example:

http://www.courtlough.ie/amenities.html

So generally, farmers shoot vermin with their shotguns and rifles, townies shoot targets with .22s, larger calibres are harder to get. There is no concealed carry, you are forbidden to use your gun for self-defence.

There is no gun culture.

Vaarok
August 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Very limited ownership of rifles and shotguns, and about a thousand handguns in the entire country. Mostly it's shotguns and .22s for agricultural use, and heavily regulated, though there's supposedly a skeet club somewhere north of Dublin according to one of my uncles.

kingpin008
August 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
So it is very similar to England. Who woulda guessed? :)

Thanks for the info, Vaarok & dresden8.

Dave McCracken
August 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
Baltimore, MD ois named for Lord Baltimore, Charles Calvert. He was named after a small town in Ireland, I believe in Limerick or Armagh.

SAWBONES
August 15, 2008, 10:10 PM
And am I the only one who thinks Guinness tastes like sadness in a glass? I swear, I can't stand the stuff.

You have no taste.;)
I no longer drink yellow beers, only stouts and porters.

SAWBONES
August 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
BTW, there is no "gun culture" in Ireland.

As one who's been to both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (I recommend the former, not the latter except for the Giant's Causeway vicinity and County Antrim), there simply isn't any private gun ownership except for the rare shotgun.

A number of girls there asked me "do all Americans carry guns?" (They have an image of our country that's mostly Wild West.)
I told them "no, but some do."

dresden8
August 16, 2008, 09:23 AM
Interesting article on Baltimore in Cork. I know it's Wikipedia but the incident is true.

Slavery worked both ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore

Keegan
August 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
they drink Harp and Bud
Why would anyone drink Budwater in a country where real beer is readily available???

dogmush
August 16, 2008, 09:56 AM
Why would anyone drink Budwater in a country where real beer is readily available???

If it's the same Budweiser I got on the continent, it's definatly not what we get here.

Belgium Budweiser was pretty good actually, and lighter then both Guiness and Harp, so it might be a nice switch.

TallPine
August 16, 2008, 11:49 AM
Baltimore, MD ois named for Lord Baltimore, Charles Calvert. He was named after a small town in Ireland, I believe in Limerick or Armagh.

Baltimore, County Cork
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Baltimore
Baltimore (Ireland)Baltimore (Irish: Dún na Séad) is a harbour town in western County Cork, Province of Munster, Ireland. Although the name Baltimore is an anglicisation of Irish words (Baile an Tí Mhóir) meaning "Town of the Big House", the Irish-language name for Baltimore is that of the O'Driscoll castle, Dún na Séad ("Fort of the Jewels").

There you go ... ;)

Vern Humphrey
August 16, 2008, 12:44 PM
BTW, I've been told that your fine city of "Baltimore" comes from the Gaelic Baile Taigh Mòr ("Town of the Big House").
Baltimore comes from Lord Baltimore, a Catholic aristocrat, who persuaded the King to establish a refuge for Catholics in the Colonies. The colony is called Maryland in honor of Mary, and the capital is Annapolis, from Anna, Mary's mother, and Polis, Greek for city.

geim druth
August 16, 2008, 04:18 PM
Courtlough charges 20 Euros for 20 shots from a rifle?

Maybe it includes a glass of Guinness.

You should go, you'll have a ball.

cindynles
August 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
I spent 3 weeks in the Republic of Ireland (Clonmel, near Shannon) last year and the locals all drink Bulmers Cider. It is very tasty and I can't find it in the states. Now when people from our sister plant in Clonmel come here I take them shooting if they bring me some. It seems like a fair trade and they all have a blast. This is the only chance they ever get to shoot an evil :evil: assualty rifle.

glennser
August 16, 2008, 06:40 PM
Having grown up in Ireland I can tell you that there is next to no gun culture, as a kid all I ever wanted was a bb gun or air rifle but they're under the same class as rifles, which are limited to .22lr and next to impossible to get.
No private ownership of handguns at all, shotguns are possible but you need to own land or have written permission to use someone's land to shoot on which is very difficult to get. When I was a kid there were two gun shops in Dublin but now there isn't a single one.
Ireland is not similar to England as far as guns go, it's much much stricter.
glennser

the_doctor
August 16, 2008, 07:22 PM
Most of you seem to be unaware that Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom. They can get pretty much anything as long the Superintendent approves of the purchase. He must APPROVE EACH PURCHASE.

The new law is coming into effect, which shall require the use of dedicated ranges.

dresden8
August 16, 2008, 07:22 PM
No private ownership of handguns at all

That has changed. There are now nearly 2,000 handguns in private ownership and the political classes are (to coin a phrase) up in arms about it. This situation may change very quickly.

Bulmers is my drink of choice by the way. Sooooooooooooooo sweet in the summer. And Winter.

ArmedBear
August 16, 2008, 07:28 PM
There is a gun culture of sorts, though...

I was stopped by a soldier he said "you are a swine"
He hit me with his rifle and he kicked me in the groin
I bowed and I scraped, sure my manners were polite
Ah, but all the time I was thinking of me little Armalite!

Chorus:
And it's up along the bogside that's were I long to be
Lying in the dark with the Provo company
A comrade on my left and another one on me right
And a clip of ammunition for me little Armalite!

A brave RUC man came walking up our street
With 600 British soldiers gathered round his feet,
Come out ya cowardly Fenians come on out and fight
But he cried I'm only joking when he heard my Armalite!

Chorus:
And it's down along the Falls Road that's were I long to be
Lying in the dark with a Provo company

The army came to visit me 'twas in the early hours
With saracens and saladins and buggered armoured cars,
They thought they had me cornered but I gave them all a fright
With the armourpiercing bullets of me little Armalite!

Chorus:
And it's up in Crossmaglen that's were I long to be

Well the premier came to Belfast to see the battles won
The generals had told them we have them on the run,
The corporals and privates while on patrol at night
Said "send home for re-enforcement's it's the bloody Armalite!"

Chorus:
And it's up in old Poleglass that's were I long to be

dresden8
August 16, 2008, 08:45 PM
That's Northern Ireland. Part of the United Kingdom. Allies in the War on Terror.

Emm, Err.

Carry on.

green country shooter
August 16, 2008, 09:10 PM
Beer consumption has dropped overall in Ireland due to the smoking ban, high taxes, and increased driving miles, but Guiness still accounts for half the beer sold there, so it's not like "no one" drinks Guinesss. Guiness is a drink of reflection, of quiet thought, of patience. There's not much time for that anywhere anymore. Budweiser is for people in a hurry.

FLA2760
August 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
Here is a link to the Irish Firearm Custody Order of 1972.:barf: It is a small PDF file. Just 2 pages.

http://www.c-l-a-s-s.net/pdf/IrishCustodyOrder%5B2%5D.PDF

Wopasaurus
August 17, 2008, 01:52 AM
Cosmoline :The interns have to share a Glock

Don't worry... I got it.

http://media.vintagecotton.com/shirt/127/zissou_glock04.gif

geim druth
August 17, 2008, 11:39 AM
Remember to drive on the left, and to yield to the truck with the bren gun mounted over the cab.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's The Gun Culture Like In Ireland?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!