Ethics of shooting a Bigfoot?

PDA

bogie
August 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
I keep running across the story. What if the critter is actually real?

And if so, what if it actually - is - a missing link? A sort-a-human kinda beastie?

Would you be guilty of murder? These folks who allegedly shot one - are they guilty of murder?

If you run up on one of the critters in the woods, do you think it's smart enough to understand that a boomstick could hurt it? If so, then it's probably "human" enough that it'd be murder instead of hunting...

Hmmm...

If you enjoyed reading about "Ethics of shooting a Bigfoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wheelgunslinger
August 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
Well, just because something is in the woods doesn't mean you should shoot it.

I wouldn't shoot a bigfoot.

Should it be murder? I don't know.

csmkersh
August 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
As a game warden, I'd file on them and then let the courts take it from there.

Treo
August 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
What's the fourth rule?

How are you gonna identify a Bigfoot?

If you do shoot it are you ganna eat it?

Thernlund
August 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
I think I'd be too busy picking my jaw up off the ground to shoot. ;)

Playing the hypothetical and strictly speaking though, I don't think murder charges would result. Probably never even be arrested.

You'd have ALOT of T'd off anthropologists camped on your front lawn though I think.

-T.

EDIT: If you do shoot it are you ganna eat it?Probably take the pelt and donate the meat. :neener:

revjen45
August 15, 2008, 04:30 PM
It is undoubtedly illegal to shoot a basketball player in a fuzzy suit, which it the most likely manifestation of a large homonid in the woods.

Thernlund
August 15, 2008, 04:31 PM
^^^^^^
http://www.azpbs.org/exclusive/grfx/sunsgorilla_big.jpg

-T.

Josh Aston
August 15, 2008, 04:33 PM
If you do shoot it are you ganna eat it?

I hear they taste like chicken.

Blues Brother
August 15, 2008, 04:34 PM
I dont know, but If you see Bigfoot, Jackie Onassis, and The Lockness monster together, take a picture! I gotta see that.

Scattergun Bob
August 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
Do we generally shoot what ever comes along in the woods? I spend 2 to 3 hours a day, 4 days a week in the woods and have yet to draw my pistol. There is the concept of bringing game to bag, and conservation to think about.

Personally, if big foot is as BIG as they say, the last thing I want to do is "upset" him! I go the other direction from cougar and bear tracks, think I would do the same with Big Foot prints! Haven't seen a "big foot" tag issued here in my state, maybe in yours?

The answer is NO, he gets a pass from me!

Good Luck & Be Safe

R.W.Dale
August 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
NO

My luck I would shoot one and it would turn out to be a drunk Okie in a gorilla suit

Crunker1337
August 15, 2008, 04:59 PM
Would you be guilty of murder?
I really doubt it. Homicide is when you kill a human, and no matter how smart this theoretical Bigfoot creature is, the fact is that it's not human

These folks who allegedly shot one - are they guilty of murder?
IIRC, they said they found the body. Also, you might want to check your word use here... even if you kill a human, you're not "guilty" of murder until the court says that you are.

If you run up on one of the critters in the woods, do you think it's smart enough to understand that a boomstick could hurt it?
I'm sure that many animals that we regularly hunt understand the threat posed by a human with a gun.

If so, then it's probably "human" enough that it'd be murder instead of hunting...
But it's not human, so even if someone were to shoot one, no one could conceivably file a murder charge.

As a game warden, I'd file on them and then let the courts take it from there.
Out of curiousity, what would you file for? To the best of my knowledge, Bigfoot isn't a protected animal in any manner, anywhere.

But, I'll be honest fellas... I wouldn't shoot Bigfoot with a gun. I'd use a camera instead.

Shawnee
August 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
The only possible reason to harm a "Squatch" would be self-defense - and that is pretty unlikely. The real challenge will be to not tell anyone about it so it can live in Peace without the horde of gawkers (including so-called scientists).

:cool:

Gunnerpalace
August 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
I am under the impression that a "bigfoot" does not exist but juvenile people and north American apes are not without merit. That being said IF I saw one I would yell freeze don't move, and then shoot NEAR it (a person will stop.....probably :uhoh: ) because hey if I found a new species I could be on the news and plug this site.
and make some cash.

But then again I'm just talking, killing time before I leave for a few minutes.

buck460XVR
August 15, 2008, 05:10 PM
soooooooooooooooooooo, what would be the minimum caliber?:D

XDKingslayer
August 15, 2008, 05:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Bigfoot isn't a protected animal in any manner, anywhere.

Actually, some state have specific laws against shooting a Bigfoot. Washington is one of them. (They actually passed an Undiscovered Species Protection Act) Some countries also have laws against harming them.

At worst you just shot someone stupid enough to be trampsing around in the woods in a monkey suit and are guilty of murder. At best, it's really a bigfoot and your guilty of poaching.

Either way, I'm not shooting it. I'm hightailing it out of there and never going back. Ever. I'm keeping my mouth shut about it too.

I hear they taste like chicken.

Actually it's more of a cross between Bald Eagle and Manatee.

Matt-J2
August 15, 2008, 05:37 PM
That depends entirely on whether or not he's trying to steal my Jack Link's beef jerky...

K3
August 15, 2008, 05:37 PM
soooooooooooooooooooo, what would be the minimum caliber?

.223 if well placed.

Of course. :D

john917v
August 15, 2008, 06:03 PM
What about if you shot a Zombie? Would that be legal? Or a Frankenstein? Man, that'd be weird!! I really do wonder if it would be legal to put down a zombie?

Thernlund
August 15, 2008, 06:05 PM
Self-defense brother. Self-defense. ;)

-T.

Deer Hunter
August 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
The problem with Bigfoot is that he is blurry. He's just a big blurry monster roaming the woods.

So you would have to ignore one of the four rules when shooting bigfoot, because you cannot really identify the creature (due to the natural blurriness).

As for me, if I were to see a big blurry monster in the woods, I would haul-butt in the opposite direction. Who knows? Maybe it was just a large boar in the early morning fog. Or perhaps it is the great, blurry American Ape.

Minimum caliber would probably be a .308 with a large spotlight to discern if it is the blurry ape, or just your imagination playing tricks on you. Hint: Watch for the blurr jumping into view from behind trees numerous times, taking the occasional break to pose for a camera.

esmith
August 15, 2008, 06:12 PM
If the thing charged me you better believe i'd shoot it. Otherwise i probably wouldn't.

ltetmhs
August 15, 2008, 08:16 PM
Ya'll are crazy. I'd kill that thing the second I was sure it wasn't a human. I' d be so damn scared. Anyone who would walk through the woods in an ape suit is just witing for Darwin to call him home. But, I guess I don't know how I'd be sure. So maybe I'd wait till he started running for me. I certainly wouldn't go out looking to kill one.

This is kind of unrelated, but what if some idiot was crawling around the woods in a deer or bear costume and you legally shot them as a deer or bear? I can't imagine you could get in trouble, could you? That couldn't be murder, more like suicide.

And in that case wouldn't some one pretending to be bigfoot suicidal?

By the way, While unicorn hunting last year with my .223 ...

koja48
August 15, 2008, 08:40 PM
For me, it would have to be a "me or it" situation . . . my camera would be busy, however.

Thernlund
August 15, 2008, 08:45 PM
You know... right about the time you've dealt with around the 100th person who's accused you of Photoshopping your pictures, you'll be saying, "Damn. I wish I'd shot the thing!"

:D

-T.

Georgia Gunner
August 15, 2008, 08:45 PM
If I ever encountered bigfoot one of two things would happen. One I would die of a heart attack right there or I would break the land speed record in the other direction.

If I had to take a shot at one I would want nothing less than a 300 mag.

keano44
August 15, 2008, 09:59 PM
f you do shoot it are you ganna eat it?

As any good Cajun would say, "Cook some rice!"

The_Sheriff
August 15, 2008, 10:19 PM
If you don't have a tag don't shoot it! Also what if it is just some guy minding his business wandering through the woods in a gorilla suit? It could happen, I do it all the time lol!

ReadyontheRight
August 15, 2008, 10:20 PM
Bigfoots actually taste a lot like bald eagle. And a little bit like timber wolf.:evil:

cslinger
August 15, 2008, 10:22 PM
All I can hear going through my head is .......

"OH my God, it's coming right at us!!!" In my best South Park voice.

the foot
August 15, 2008, 11:03 PM
If it's an animal, kill it only if it threatens you.

Hey, but if it's a human in a Yeti suit, in the woods, then the Law of Natural Selection requires that you kill the stupid SOB.

wally
August 15, 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm not a hunter, but this thread sure sucked me in :)

If its not a varmint doing you harm, or you don't plan to eat it, IMHO you've no business killing it.

--wally.

Thernlund
August 15, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hey, but if it's a human in a Yeti suit, in the woods, then the Law of Natural Selection requires that you kill the stupid SOB.LOL!

-T.

MCgunner
August 15, 2008, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't shoot what is 99.999 percent likely to be a man in a monkey suit. Would teach pranksters a hard lesson, though, I reckon.

saddlebum
August 15, 2008, 11:26 PM
the one i saw threw a big rock at me. that is all........

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?ID=10074&PrinterFriendly=True

The_Shootist
August 15, 2008, 11:28 PM
If it was close enough to identify it as a Bigfoot then its close enough to do me harm. I figure I'd shoot first and ask questions later, without a second thought I might add. If only for the scientific value of the find.

Now, if it was 100yds or more away and could only be discerned through binoculars or a riflescope then no - I wouldn't shoot it. There would always be the nagging doubt that I misidentified it. As well, it would be similiar to a Texas court appearance regarding a self defense shooting at over 15 yds (ie judge might ask why you didn't run :p)

Calibre? In rifles minimum .270 but I'd like something at least in the .308/.30-06 class. In handguns (which I would be more likely carrying ), hope that I chose that day to carry my 686+ stuffed with some real nasty loads from Buffalo Bore (ie 180 gr. LFN-GC , 1400 fps ME 783 ft. lbs.).

472x1A/B
August 16, 2008, 12:16 AM
If I was, or Had to shoot a Bigfoot, it would be for making jerky. I've heard they taste like moral mushrooms, blackberrys, and wild onions.

Okiecruffler
August 16, 2008, 12:17 AM
it would turn out to be a drunk Okie in a gorilla suit

Hey, that ain't no gorilla suit, that's granny's natural fur. You be leavin' her alone, she ain't hurt nobodies.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get a bigfoot tag?

And if you shoot at a zombie, would you be charged with attempted re-murder.

Great, now I'm gonna be up all night....

Matt-J2
August 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
"Sir, why did you shoot that zombie?"

"Well, whoever killed him the first time did a real crappy job."

Thernlund
August 16, 2008, 01:14 AM
Oh man. I love this thread. I'm in tears over here.

-T.

Sebastian the Ibis
August 16, 2008, 01:52 AM
I just want to know if I can keep the Bigfoot skin rug?

bthest86
August 16, 2008, 03:48 AM
No. I would not shoot a "bigfoot" out of the fear it might be a person in a suit.

ranger335v
August 16, 2008, 11:11 AM
"...not tell anyone about it so it can live in Peace without the horde of gawkers (including so-called scientists)."

Roger that. And keeping quite will save the tax payers a bundle if we don't have to add another pile to what we already give so called "scientists" to do more "studies" about pointless things rather than requireing those parasites to work for a living.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 16, 2008, 11:16 AM
Though this is obviously a silly thread and I probably should stay away, I can't resist.

If the question is serious:

In a vacuum, it would be unethical to shoot Bigfoot, for obvious reasons: If they're so extraordinarily rare as to not be documented, then they're an endangered species. We don't shoot endangered species. No-brainer of the century.
Now, since there is no bigfoot, the only true real ethical question that could possibly come up is, "Is it ethical to shoot the deranged guy in the gorilla suit?" (which is what is happening if you see "bigfoot"). Well, is it ethical or even legal to kill a human who is posing no threat to you? It's not complicated.

Now back to the silliness:

Hey, that ain't no gorilla suit, that's granny's natural fur. You be leavin' her alone, she ain't hurt nobodies.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get a bigfoot tag?

And if you shoot at a zombie, would you be charged with attempted re-murder.

Great, now I'm gonna be up all night....

"Sir, why did you shoot that zombie?"

"Well, whoever killed him the first time did a real crappy job."

:kneeslapper: :D :D

williamthedog
August 16, 2008, 11:22 AM
QUOTE:In a vacuum, it would be unethical to shoot Bigfoot, for obvious reasons: If they're so extraordinarily rare as to not be documented, then they're an endangered species. We don't shoot endangered species. No-brainer of the century.
:UNQUOTE

yeah but what if the monster was in your toolshed stealing your best set of slip joint pliers?
what then?
hmmmm?

Art Eatman
August 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
I never could train my Bigfoot to dig postholes or cut firewood. Useless. I ran him off, but a neighbor shot him. Said it tasted like whooping crane.

leathermanwave
August 16, 2008, 12:26 PM
If bigfoot was more than 8 or nine feet tall I would shoot him in the head because a person in a suit wouldn't reach up that high. But if Bigfoot where shorter i would fear to much about shooting a person.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 16, 2008, 12:29 PM
I never could train my Bigfoot to dig postholes or cut firewood. Useless. I ran him off, but a neighbor shot him. Said it tasted like whooping crane.

That is sooo wrong! :D :D :D

GRB
August 16, 2008, 12:32 PM
No murder charges if the beast was really a beast. Then again, I would never shoot at such a thing because in all likelihood it would wind up being a less than smart person running around in the woods in a costume that looks all too much like a bear. That would not likely be murder, but almost certainly would be manslaughter.

The only way I would shoot it would be if it posed a threat to life, or threat of serious bodily injury to me or someone else.

All the best,
GB

Jeff F
August 16, 2008, 12:43 PM
Shoot a Bigfoot, yes I would shoot a Bigfoot!

With my camera I would shoot a Big foots picture.

koja48
August 16, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'd train him to retrieve & pack elk . . . the big game version of the Labrador Retriever . . .

MCgunner
August 16, 2008, 03:07 PM
If they are really out there, there's no bag limit, no closed season on 'em in any state I know of, so what the heck? How about baiting 'em with a feeder? Is that unethical? I bet the NW Oregon/Washington state guys would think so. Us Texans, hell, just tell me what he likes to eat and I'll have you one for dinner. :D

koja48
August 16, 2008, 04:40 PM
McG,

We can't even bait carp out here!

paintballdude902
August 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
i would take all the dang pictures i can and if it came at me then id shoot it othrewise id let it walk

snowpro440
August 16, 2008, 05:26 PM
I would shoot low first to see if it screamed for help then let it run off to only track it to the den to shoot them all . { and they do taste like chicken }:evil:

Okiecruffler
August 16, 2008, 05:30 PM
What I'd do, I'd cut a hole in the ice and sprinkle peas all around it. Then when the bigfoot comes up to take a pea, I'd kick him in the icehole.:neener:

I'm sorry, sometimes I'm such a child.:o

Art Eatman
August 16, 2008, 07:22 PM
Go change your diaper...

Double Naught Spy
August 16, 2008, 07:32 PM
Would you be guilty of murder? These folks who allegedly shot one - are they guilty of murder?

If you run up on one of the critters in the woods, do you think it's smart enough to understand that a boomstick could hurt it? If so, then it's probably "human" enough that it'd be murder instead of hunting...

Well, if Bigfoot was really that smart, it would probably call it a firearm and not a 'boomstick.'

Actually, many animals understand firearms...if they have been exposed to them and survived. Certainly, other primates can and have. Hell, dogs can. That however, doesn't make them human and shooting them doesn't make it murder...until you are tried in a PETA court.

R.W.Dale
August 16, 2008, 08:38 PM
If they are really out there, there's no bag limit, no closed season on 'em in any state I know of, so what the heck?

Here in Arkansas the only critters legal to shoot are specifically outlined in DA BOOK

If bigfoot ain't listed in the book as a nuisance or game animal then killing one is against the law.

I'll just about bet money that if you dig around in the Texas regs you'll find a similar rule

MCgunner
August 16, 2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe, don't know for sure. Hogs are not game animals, rabbits are not controlled. There's lots of exotics, legal year around. Some of 'em get loose from the game ranches and roam the hill country. They get shot. Hell, we can trap hogs, bait hogs, chase hogs with dogs, kill 'em with knives, speers, .22s, whatever. I don't know if they're in da book or not. I know it precludes shooting song birds and such as that and lists starlings, cow birds, and such as pests to be shot on sight. :D I'll let someone else research this one. I'm too lazy. :D

MCgunner
August 16, 2008, 08:48 PM
Actually, many animals understand firearms...if they have been exposed to them and survived.

I had a Beagle that sure knew what a gun was. When I'd walk out the door with my .22 when I was a kid, he'd start doing back flips of joy. He knew he was goin' huntin'. :D Same for labs I've owned.

Deer Hunter
August 16, 2008, 09:08 PM
I'll one-up you, MC. Our GSPs know the difference between a shotgun and a rifle.

They go crazy over a shotgun, but hardly perk their ears at a rifle.

bogie
August 17, 2008, 04:43 AM
For all you primitive screwheads out there...

if Bigfoot was really that smart, it would probably call it a firearm and not a 'boomstick.'

It -is- called a boomstick.

koja48
August 17, 2008, 08:19 AM
Bigfoot calls guns " Gruuughnnntttt wwhooooppsss" . . .

1911 guy
August 17, 2008, 06:47 PM
This thread has been a hoot to read. Especially about killing zombies "whoever killed him the first time did a crappy job".

Alright, now my turn to chime in. I want to believe in bigfoot. I mean, how cool would that be, a very large, somewhat intelligent and completely undiscovered primate living, quite possibly, nearly in some of our own backyards. The problem is that I have yet to see any real proof or evidence that would support it. Sure, there's DNA that comes back as being from "unknown primate", but why are none labeled "unknown primate, but same as the last sample you sent us"? That would get somewhere.

So, would I shoot one? Nope. If I saw one, it would be one of two things A) a moron in a monkey suit or B) sasquatch. One is an idiot in need of a caretaker, the other is a possibly endangered species. Camera shots, heck yeah! With a firearm, not unless I genuinely felt like it was going to hurt me.

MCgunner
August 17, 2008, 07:17 PM
Just offer him a Jack Link.

mio
August 17, 2008, 07:18 PM
would i shoot bigfoot if i knew for sure it wasnt a man in a gorilla suit?
just as fast as i accuratly could hopefully a neck shot to preserve the brain and internal organs for study but if that werent offered id take any sure kill shot offered.
id then drag its big hairy butt home and fold it into my chest freezer and look into the legality of holding an auction involving only united states instutitions to bid on it.
when over id own a bigger nicer house with a couple real gun safes in them rather than a stack on cabinet that i got on sale at kmart. id buy a couple nice guns ive been dreaming of, my daughter would to to any college she gets accepted to and id never spend another day sweating my butt off in a hot shop with no ac bending 1/2" steel transmission lines by hand again.

minimum cal would be 12ga with slug or .35 pump since those are my deer rifles and if its close enough to be sure i would be well within range for either of those. of course i wouldnt try it out birdhunting with #6 shot. id just run like heck for the truck cut off my shorts wipe with my socks and go home.

4v50 Gary
August 17, 2008, 07:33 PM
I was told they taste like dogs, but never having had dog meat myself, I can't say what they taste like. However, a former marine told me just add tobasco sauce and anything will taste great.

Double Naught Spy
August 17, 2008, 07:58 PM
It -is- called a boomstick.

Then I guess you call a knife a "pokey thang."

What makes you think Bigfoots don't have, what did you colloquially call them, boomsticks? Surely you don't think all those hunting "accidents" are by actual humans who shoot rifles, shotguns, and pistols, do you?

Boomstick Bigfoot ain't got not aythics 'bout shootin' no hairless apes.

Art Eatman
August 17, 2008, 08:58 PM
Aw, no doubt it's fun to play "Let's pretend," but the whole population dynamics thing of biology sez un-uh. Gotta have enough to continue the population without harmful inbreeding.

Sorta hard to hide those numbers anywhere in the U.S. Too many hunters, hikers, birders, ranchers and farmers. Lots of general aviation flying low and slow.

Fun fantasy, though. :D

Bush Pilot
August 17, 2008, 09:56 PM
I've actually shot a bigfoot, it was in western Montana a few years back. They're big, hairy and smell terrible. I feel better now, I've been afraid to disclose my secret for the longest time, I thought people would think I'm nuts, you guys seem like the type to understand and believe. If you'll excuse me it's getting dark and I'm going outside to photograph that damn UFO that's been buzzing my house the last couple of nights.

Joe Link
August 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't shoot it unless I were in danger.

jeepmor
August 17, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hopefully, it would just get shot with my camera, posing next to my jeep for scale. ;)

Matt-J2
August 17, 2008, 10:48 PM
Aww Art, don't you know? Bigfoot (it's plural and singular) are much like the reclusive Minotaur in that they are all male, and they mate with human females. Hence why they're such a well kept secret, no woman will admit to said mating, and women can keep secrets in ways that defy all science.
Unlike the Minotaur, the habitat of Bigfoot is not nearly so limited, as they're smart enough to find their way out of the maze.

Savage Shooter
August 17, 2008, 10:49 PM
assuming its him or me i'd have to use no less than a elephant rifle i'll go with the .458 wim mag since my neighbor has one.:D
if I wasn't absolutly sure it wasn't an idiot in a monkey suit I'd fire a warning shot because we have some really dumb people around here.

If I didn't feel any danger I'd be snapping more photos then you could imagine I'd then be selling copies of them to get some nice shiny new guns and then would quickly be calling the history channel so I could get on monsterquest.

S&WKING
August 18, 2008, 02:01 AM
i would shoot it because everyone would think u wee crazy if u just seen it but if u shot it, it would be 4 real

bensdad
August 18, 2008, 02:20 AM
I would shoot it. I would have it mounted playing a Fender Jazz bass and smoking a Lucky Strike.

Thernlund
August 18, 2008, 02:30 AM
Gotta have enough to continue the population without harmful inbreeding.

You know.... I think maybe Art has just given us some possible insight into what Bigfoot actually is.

;) :D

-T.

Art Eatman
August 18, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hmmm. Maybe the reason they've been hard to find is that the Jukes and Kallikaks keep them hidden in the barns.

HB
August 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
I've actually shot a bigfoot, it was in western Montana a few years back. They're big, hairy and smell terrible
I think you shot a Hippy :neener:

I don't believe in bigfoot, and I think your crazy if you do, but if he was real, I'd love to line dance with him

HB

Okiecruffler
August 18, 2008, 03:25 PM
Bigfoot (it's plural and singular) are much like the reclusive Minotaur in that they are all male, and they mate with human females.

I beg to differ, I awoke one morning in bed with a female bigfoot. At least I think it was female, I hope. To tell the truth I ran out so fast I didn't really check. OH MAN!:banghead:

I'll be back later, I have to go call my therapist.

HB
August 18, 2008, 04:14 PM
"Hit it and forget it" in regards to the female big foot..... I think thats a line from a George Clinton and the Funkadelicks song :confused:

redneckrepairs
August 18, 2008, 04:32 PM
Personally i wouldnt shoot it . The only critters i shoot fall into 3 classes 1. game i am going to eat . 2. vermin such as prarie dogs , stray dogs among my cattle , the occasional jack rabbit which i feed to the farm dog , coyotes , ect.. and 3. predictors who want to harm me , most likely two legged and in citys , but i suppose a bear or puma could someday fit that bill . If a bigfoot exists and i ran across him just like a bear or puma who did not want to harm me i would marvel at nature , and try and get pics .

Cosmoline
August 18, 2008, 04:35 PM
If I ever had a positive ID, I'd shoot. The way I figure it, the only way these things are real is if they've been burying their own dead AND anyone who finds them. That's the only way they could have avoided being on someone's wall this long--a well aimed rock to the head and a quick feast followed by burial of the bones in some deep holler. Another hunter gone missing. But the chances are exceedingly remote that they do exist. The only film evidence of any weight is the old Patterson film, and if that was real it may have been one of the very last ones. There a few interesting audio recordings from the 1970s, then nothing. All subsequent evidence ranges from goofy to laughable. So if they did exist in some tiny clans, they're likely gone now. Some say the last were killed when St. Helens blew.

Matt-J2
August 18, 2008, 05:17 PM
I beg to differ, I awoke one morning in bed with a female bigfoot. At least I think it was female, I hope. To tell the truth I ran out so fast I didn't really check. OH MAN!

I'll be back later, I have to go call my therapist.

That was YOU! You dirty rat! Auntie Earl is still in tears over the way you ran out without even so much as a goodbye!

BigO01
August 18, 2008, 05:36 PM
Blow it's knee off , if it's real and starts growling you shoot the other knee and head off for some rope and lot's of friends to help tie it up and call the local zoo/conservation/Veterinarian/animal control to bring a trank gun and operate on the knees to keep it from dying .

It it's a human in a monkey suit he'll start hollering and cussing after the first knee and you call the cops and ambulance and tell them he tried to attack you in his suit and you feared for your life and fired at it .

What judge and jury will believe the fool in the monkey suit running around in the woods when he denies attacking you anyway ?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 18, 2008, 10:27 PM
That was YOU! You dirty rat! Auntie Earl is still in tears over the way you ran out without even so much as a goodbye!

Good laugh... :) Sounds like she would have worked well at keeping you warm at night, though, Okiecruffler - you may have missed an opportunity there!

Okiecruffler
August 18, 2008, 10:47 PM
without even so much as a goodbye!

Hey, I left a 20 on the dresser, what more did she want?

On a serious note, has everyone seen the pics of the "bigfoot" corpse? If you're gonna try to pull a prank, you might at least try to make it look real.

plumberroy
August 18, 2008, 11:14 PM
the one i saw threw a big rock at me. that is all........

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report....rFriendly=True
I reckon I have come full circle years ago I wanted to go hunt them .now unlees he was trying to harm me I would take pics.but chunkin 50 pound rocks at me would get his ass shot:fire:
Roy
I know someone believable that saw a "gorilla" looking in the window in the 50's that window is 6' off the ground

Matt-J2
August 18, 2008, 11:25 PM
On a serious note, has everyone seen the pics of the "bigfoot" corpse? If you're gonna try to pull a prank, you might at least try to make it look real.

Never seen those. Happen to have a link to them on the web? I find hoax attempts oddly amusing.

JohnnyOrygun
August 18, 2008, 11:26 PM
I have seen bigfoot... sort of, when I was 14 we were deer hunting in Eastern Oregon. We were up on a ridge scoping down in to a small valley/large gulch (I don't know what to call it), when we saw this big black object moving through the brush and undergrowth... first thought it was a bear, but it didn't look right. So we watched it for a while, it turned around... It was guy in a big black fur coat :what::what: Now this guy had to be either drunk or really short on brain power, to be out in a black fur coat during hunting season.

As to the OP's question. It depends, if I spotted it a distance and it was bothering me I would try to shoot it with a Canon Powershot Digital Camera ;)
But if it was after me and I couldn't get away from it easily, I would shoot it. I really don't think there is a bigfoot, but then again what do I know?

I don't think its ok to kill something just because. If it's a nuisance animal or causing damage thats ok, of course if you are going to eat it, then its fine. When do we eat? :D I'll bring the Diet Pepsi and the Rolls (wife makes great rolls)

Anyhow thats my .02

Little John

ltetmhs
August 18, 2008, 11:49 PM
Science kills animals all the time just to study relatively unknown species (greenland sharks. etc.). Bigfoot, if it exists is as unknown as anything. And if science demands it, well then all just have to do my part.:D

taliv
August 19, 2008, 12:24 AM
you guys are forgetting that bigfeet hunt in packs like velociraptors. the one you see isn't the one that gets you. but you should shooting him anyway, as fast as you can, and then look to both sides.

here is some instructional material for calculating escape vectors for velociraptor attacks. http://www.mbeckler.org/velociraptors/velociraptors.html

you can modify the equations slightly for 500 lb bigfeet, but you'll need to know the BC. Dan Lilja lives in Oregon, and if anyone knows the Ballistic Coefficent of bigfoot, it would be Dan. Bogie, I suggest you email a request for info to him.

SN13
August 19, 2008, 12:56 AM
12ga. I'd shoot it the second I felt scared for my life. Which would be the instant I saw it!!!!

rondog
August 19, 2008, 02:01 AM
I personally wouldn't shoot one unless it was attacking me, but Ted Nugent would chase the thing down with a knife. And Chuck Norris would round-house kick its ass.

TerryBob
August 19, 2008, 08:54 AM
I shot one a few years back but its feet were so small, I was ashamed to mount it.......LOL

TerryBob said it.

Georgia Gunner
August 19, 2008, 10:51 PM
^ :D

JeepGeek
August 20, 2008, 06:46 AM
1. Shoot him and drag the corpse home
2. Call up all manner of high-muckety-much science types.
3. ?
4. Profit!

XDKingslayer
August 20, 2008, 04:05 PM
3. ?
4. Profit!

That's basically what those two guys from Georgia did.

Said they had a body. Showed it to the leading "bigfoot expert" and sold him a rubber monkey suit for a "undisclosed amount of money".

Thernlund
August 20, 2008, 09:11 PM
^^^^

I think that's downright hilarious.

-T.

ArmedBear
August 20, 2008, 09:13 PM
LOL

Underwear Bigfoot!

Seriously, though, I think it's totally ethical to shoot a Bigfoot, just like it's fine to shoot a unicorn and the Tooth Fairy. If it doesn't exist, how can shooting it be unethical?

Thernlund
August 20, 2008, 09:29 PM
When I was about 5 or 6, I'd have sworn I thought I saw the Easter Bunny in our living room. It's a damn good thing I was too young for a gun.

-T.

Selfdfenz
August 20, 2008, 11:41 PM
Till we know it's legal the best advice is "Shoot, shovel, escape through the worm hole".

S-

JeepGeek
August 21, 2008, 12:25 AM
except for the critical bit about NOT having seen Bigfoot.

Harve Curry
August 21, 2008, 12:41 AM
Besides Art and the Texan subspecies known as zapata grande in the Big Bend country, how many here have seen a bigfoot?
I'll go first; I haven't seen one.

yenchisks
August 21, 2008, 12:49 AM
If I saw footbig i'de say stick'em up.Are you real are not,that would be good enough for me.

Double Naught Spy
August 21, 2008, 01:25 AM
3. ?
4. Profit!

That's basically what those two guys from Georgia did.

Said they had a body. Showed it to the leading "bigfoot expert" and sold him a rubber monkey suit for a "undisclosed amount of money".

No, they called a high profile goofy guy with a known history of fraud or stupidity. He is anything but a "science-type." As for being a bigfoot expert, that is a self-professed title.

TerryBob
August 21, 2008, 08:51 AM
", how many here have seen a bigfoot?"

I know that I'm gonna get slammed but in all honesty, I saw something that would fit the bill.

It was about 31 years ago. I've questioned myself over and over for those said 31 years but I cant think of anything else that it could be.

Go ahead, flame away,

TerryBob

deaconkharma
August 21, 2008, 12:19 PM
LOL in all seriousness, unless I'm going to eat it, I am not going to shoot it... with the exception of predators like yotes who ruin the hunting of things I do find tasty. might shoot it with a camera, since I am always properly armed to shoot both ways (film or lead) in the woods.
I use the mini cvs camcorders. Got one CVS camcorder I modified by taking the IR filter out and now with an IR flashlight, I get some cool video at night while hunting yotes or just walking around. and hey, 30 bucks for the camera beats spending hundreds on a sony and then if it breaks... :cool:

ursus americanas
August 22, 2008, 03:30 AM
Here in Washington my combo license came with a Bigfoot tag this year, just said I had to send in a premolar to Fish & Wildlife for population study. I just can't decide between a rug and a European mount!!!

Burrito
August 22, 2008, 12:10 PM
I hear from several East Texans that bigfoot meat is pretty tasty, soooooooooo you better believe I'd shoot him, or her, or even the babies. I'd make jerky out of it.

XDKingslayer
August 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
It was guy in a big black fur coat

What the heck was Huggie Bear doing in the woods?

Flyboy
August 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
Gotta have enough to continue the population without harmful inbreeding.
Why? We let Arkansas stick around.

docmagnum357
August 29, 2008, 09:30 PM
This is dead serious , boys. i saw a special on the discovery channel, or some such, and there are really scientists that believe there could be such a critter. I personally have a hard time believing there isn't something that makes all those people tell the stories they do. I am neither a believer or unbeliever on this one.

What I thought of when i saw that documentary was, why not get a pack of good dogs, and train them on gorilla scent. the story said everyone agreed they stink, and the scientists said that all great apes smell bad, particularly the males. Should be a cinch for a couple of good treeing walkers and a teenage redneck coon hunter. A low cost, high thrill way to say once and for all wether the darn things are mith or reality. What do you think?

Double Naught Spy
August 29, 2008, 09:56 PM
Should be a cinch for a couple of good treeing walkers and a teenage redneck coon hunter. A low cost, high thrill way to say once and for all wether the darn things are mith or reality. What do you think?

No scientist, tree walker, or redneck bubba has caught one yet, killed one, or gathered any real proof. Change that. They have ZERO proof. If the evidence they have is equivocal, it isn't proof.

Stories are fine, but they are stories.

CowardRubi06
August 29, 2008, 10:00 PM
Ahh treeing walkers, great hound dogs.

koja48
August 29, 2008, 10:30 PM
You forgot . . . they must be taken with barbless bullets; participants must be master hunters (unless fishing, in which case substitute "baiters" for "hunters"); hunters can't use lead shot/projectiles; you must have a $10.00 "Recreational Use" receipt displayed in your vehicle when accessing public land, plus have a couple tattoos on your a** confirming you have said permit; Bigfoot/feet in-possession must have several clipped adipose toenails (only hatchery Bigfoots/feet are allowed) & can only be between 7'1" and 7'1.2" in overall height; Bigfoot hides must be sealed within 37-seconds of harvest (call the nearest WDF&W office, which may or may not answer the phone, for assistance); participants can only hunt in special "road closure/crawl-in-naked thru-prickly-pear-cactus-areas" - or - in one of the select "Feel Free To Hunt" locations, the terrain of which resembles the features of a Wal*Mart parking lot, except for the fact that there is more cover in a Wal*Mart parking lot); seasons may close on a moment's notice based on the whims of Olympia, the potential presence of snow, or on wind direction; the creatures can't be hunted or even looked-at on the Hanford Reach National Monument since the Feds took over; Bigfoot/feets that have illegally immigrated from other countries are not in season, but are eligible for many free benefits, including medical treatment, Social Security, low rent/free housing & college tuition (Note: If you encounter one of these, you must immediately give them your gun, vehicle, cash, and the deed to your house.); the tribes can harvest all they want in the name of "religious significance" using traditional synthetic monofilament nets strung across trails and hauled to the hunt site in traditional modes of transportation such as government-provided, lifted, high-performance 1-ton 4X4 trucks, or they can opt to use traditional low-yield nukes . . . but, I digress . . .

Encoreman
August 29, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hey Bogie, You suggested missing link as in evolution. Well I have but 1 question about that. If we evolved from monkeys or apes, why are they still around. When 1 species evolves into another, the 1st species dies off. Try reading Genesis chapter 1. It tells is all, God created man in his image. So in that light, if you get your sights on a bigfoot and want to dust it off, it ain't any kin to me. LOL Mac

Griz44
August 30, 2008, 06:32 PM
I don't see any reason to kill something just for killing. If it does not threaten me, and I cannot (or would not) eat it, then I would just let it be.
I have been hunting all over the Great State of Texas for almost 50 years now. I think I have seen every critter that God put here, and a few that man imported. No Bigfoots. No signs.

JeepGeek
August 30, 2008, 06:39 PM
5 pages of ethical delimna about something that doesn't exist.

Unbelievable.

daddy-o
August 30, 2008, 07:21 PM
5 pages of ethical delimna about something that doesn't exist.

Unbelievable.

lol:D

wankerjake
August 30, 2008, 08:05 PM
It is with little doubt that the meat of a sasquatch would be inherently delicious, and should therefore be shot on sight...unless of course it could be taken alive and subsequently be domesticated and raised as a cheap (and healthy) alternative to beef...

If you enjoyed reading about "Ethics of shooting a Bigfoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!