Little help for a new shooter?

PDA

only1asterisk
August 15, 2008, 10:49 PM
.455_Hunter has identified a deserving young family man on a strictly limited budget looking to buy an inexpensive revolver for defensive purposes. I've volunteered to help out with a little cash to help expand his selection somewhat. A couple of fellow members have committed funds as well. I've volunteered to hold the money.

Anyone interested in contributing can send funds to:

David Harris
PO Box 792
Morgantown WV 26505

If you must use Paypal, the address is: dharris6ATmix.wvuDOTedu Please don't use the words "gun", "revolver", handgun, etc in the description. Use something innocuous like "THR Project"

Thank you,

David

If you enjoyed reading about "Little help for a new shooter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
August 15, 2008, 11:31 PM
Could we have a little more background here? I'm a young man, I have a fiancee (does that qualify as being a "family man"?) and we're both on an extremely limited budget, but I could easily pick up a used Rossi or Taurus revolver for under $300 all day long. I'm not saying that this fellow is undeserving, it'd just be nice to have a little more backstory before donating to a cause.

only1asterisk
August 15, 2008, 11:40 PM
That's about all I know. .455_Hunter thinks the man is worth helping (at least to some degree). That's good enough for me.

David

only1asterisk
August 15, 2008, 11:43 PM
I've got $50 in hand with $20 more pledged.

David

kingpin008
August 16, 2008, 12:18 AM
I don't meant to be a scrooge or a spoil-sport, but personally, I'm gonna have to decline. Like I said, if there were more details, it might be a different story - but I find it hard to believe that anyone, regardless of their financial situation couldn't scrape together the cash for something like a Rossi, or Taurus, or one of the lower-budget brands. Heck, it's not a revolver but even a Hi-Point won't run you more than $300 brand new.

Good luck though.

sm
August 16, 2008, 12:35 AM
David,

The kids scrounged up $10.

To keep it - give it away, ain't that right Uncle 'teve?

*proud-i-is*

only1asterisk
August 16, 2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks Steve! I figured you'd get a piece of this.

I've got $80 pledged with $50 in hand.

kingpin008,

That's fine. In fact, the gentleman in question has saved almost enough for a low rent revolver. We're just going to give him enough to improve his options a bit.

David

only1asterisk
August 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
$70 in hand.

David

only1asterisk
August 16, 2008, 08:20 PM
We're $20 from an even hundred.

David

Eric F
August 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
:confused:

kingpin008
August 16, 2008, 08:38 PM
That's exactly my point. I'm not saying that it is a scam, but it sure doesn't make me feel good about giving away money, not knowing virtually anything about who it's going to, or how the need for this gun arose.

I mean, I'm all for charity - I don't have a lot of money to give, but I will if/when I can, if the source is legit. It just bothers me that there's no backstory for this donation request being given. And if th fellow really just needs a basic revolver for protection, why are you asking for (and giving him yourself) extra money to "expand his selection?"

Something doesn't seem right to me.

EDIT - I've PM'ed the mods, asking them to get in touch with .455_Hunter to find out what this is all about, since we haven't really been given any info by the OP. If this is a scam, it doesn't belong on THR.

only1asterisk
August 16, 2008, 09:06 PM

kingpin008
August 16, 2008, 09:12 PM
Only1asterisk - With all due respect, if you had included that link (or a description of the previous thread) in your original post, we wouldn't have had to search for it. How were we supposed to know what to search for, anyhow? For all we knew, .455_Hunter could have started this donation drive based on posts or members of other fourms. You failed to tell us what the deal was. That's all we were asking for.

That said, I understand what's going on now. My interest in finding out what the real situation was is in no way personal, please understand that. My only aim was to be able to verify that this wasn't a scam, and even that wouldn't have been necessary had you included a bit more information in your OP.

Nothing personal, no hard feelings. Good luck with the fundraiser, and I'll do my best to throw in a few bucks later this month when I know a little better what my financial situation is.

only1asterisk
August 16, 2008, 09:26 PM
I thought my description adequate, I'm sorry it was insufficient for you. I don't see as it matters as you've no intention of participating.

I think the person that has the doubts of another's honestly has the obligation to look into the facts before publicly questioning their integrity.

David

Eric F
August 16, 2008, 09:44 PM
:confused:

sm
August 16, 2008, 09:45 PM
Folks,

THR is a firearm community.

There is a lot that goes on in the real world, the real THR Community. that never gets posted on THR publicly.

I know only1asterisk, we go way back. His word is good with me.

A lot of this goes on, between members here, and it would blow your mind how folks step up to the plate, and do what they do, to assist in promoting responsible firearm ownership.

Some of what goes on, has nothing to do with guns, instead knives.
Oh yes, there has been some serious passing forward to folks in need of knives that are going off to serve in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other places.

We have folks that lost knives due to tornadoes, flood, fires, and other disasters. Folks have Boker, Case, Buck, and SAKs, with various stones from pocket to bench now.

Medical Supplies were depleted during tornadoes, and Medical supplies were donated to replace and make ready for the next emergency.

Someone says they are doing a kids day, and not only was money sent, simple .22 rifles and ammo were donated.

Ladies day and some training, and who knows how many gun cleaning kits, holsters, belts, ear muffs, shooting glasses and all were sent.

Back in the day, folks knew their neighbors, they did not meddle, instead they honest to goodness knew their neighbors and pitched in for the good of the community.

Everyone has a talent and gift, everyone.
Folks were self reliant and took care of themselves, as there was no 911, FEMA, or anything like today.

Katrina hit, and I know some folks on up more inland, lost supplies, or were overwhelmed.
Supplies went down.
Guns, ammo, Diabetic kits, meds, toys, coloring books, small TVs with a DVD player and some kids movies, generators, gasoline, food, water....

Another area needed supplies for First Responders, and again Gun Cleaning kits, holsters, and waders...

We are a community of responsible firearm owners, and we do what we do as we were raised right, and have our convictions.

It might surprise folks how many folks send flowers, a card, and sincerely are there for others when a baby is born, someone is undergoing medical matters, a death in the family and other real world life matters.

It is WE The People that makes things work.
Not Government, not Forum Rules, the People.

Regards,

Steve

Eric F
August 16, 2008, 09:59 PM
:scrutiny:

only1asterisk
August 16, 2008, 10:21 PM

Eric F
August 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
I take offense at your unfounded accusations.

not too sure why but pm sent

Hopefult the situation has been resolved. Looks like a case of internet miscomunications.

sm
August 17, 2008, 12:51 AM
Folks,

I have a personal favor to ask please.
Since Internet is public, and THR is self policing, could we edit some of the posts so if some Fence Sitter, or Anti reads them, responsible firearm owners do not come across in a negative manner?

I'd appreciate it.

Now I understand folks being apprehensive, which is good, as this means folks are paying attention and being aware of surroundings is something encouraged here at THR.

I respect the fact, folks have budgets, and have personal preferences in what
causes they choose to spend money , time and energies on.

My suggestion from now on, is to run by threads such as this , past Staff first, before posting.

Just a common courtesy to Staff if you will, and a token of being respectful to other members.

David will not mind, nor will I, nor will anyone else I can think of that has in the past posted threads along the lines of this one.

Just remember, we never know whom is going read, hear, or see something we do, and the impressions they get from what is going on with us at the time.

Respectfully,

Steve

</off>

kingpin008
August 17, 2008, 01:10 AM
Steve - As far as I'm concerned, I'm satisfied that this is on the up and up. As I said before and have explained to you personally - I meant no disrespect to David, .455_Hunter, or anyone else. I simply had concerns, and was trying to quell them. But like I said, I'm out of it now. The need is genuine, and I'll have my fiancee (who I'm pretty sure has a Paypal account) kick in five or ten bucks from me. It's about the best I can do.

I agree that in the future threads like this should be run past the Mods, to make sure that there is some structure to how they are presented, and what information is made available. That's what got this whole thing started, after all - a misunderstanding and miscommunications due to a percieved lack of info.

FWIW, Only1asterisk - I offer my apologies for my part in the back-and-forth. While I will not admit to being the entire problem, I was most certainly a part of it. No hard feelings, yeah?

If you enjoyed reading about "Little help for a new shooter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!