What makes Hoppes smell so good?

PDA

.cheese.
August 16, 2008, 06:50 PM
It just smells awesome..... what is it about it that makes it smell so great?

Honestly, if Yankee Candle made a Hoppes scented candle, I'd buy it.

If you enjoyed reading about "What makes Hoppes smell so good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
August 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
Nitrobenzene. :)

Same reason methanol smells sweet, or pure ethanol, or any number of odd chemicals that smell "good" or "sweet".

.cheese.
August 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
found this thread which shines some light on it:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=728497

ColinthePilot
August 16, 2008, 06:52 PM
Honestly, if Yankee Candle made a Hoppes scented candle, I'd buy it.

Maybe .cheese. candle should make one. sounds like an opportunity. I'd buy one.

jahwarrior
August 16, 2008, 06:52 PM
It just smells awesome..... what is it about it that makes it smell so great?

i think it's the CRACK you're smoking.

just kidding.:p

seriously, you think it smells good? i wish there was something i could use that was odorless. that crap stinks up my whole apartment.

PTK
August 16, 2008, 06:53 PM
I guess it isn't the nitrobenzene, then!

Isoamyl acetate has a strong odor (similar to juicy fruit) which is also described as similar to both banana and pear.

Nitrobenzene is a water-insoluble oil which exhibits a pale yellow to yellow-brown coloration in liquid form (at room temperature and pressure) with an almond-like odor.

.cheese.
August 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
really? It smells almost like some kind of rum to me.

Maybe .cheese. candle should make one. sounds like an opportunity. I'd buy one.

I wouldn't have a clue how to match the scent in scent oils.

Seminole
August 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
It's all about association. You enjoy the smell of Hoppes because you associate it with objects (guns) and an activity (shooting) you find enjoyable.

Samgotit
August 16, 2008, 07:17 PM
Commets removed. Poor taste.

.cheese.
August 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
purple smells better than the other ones?

You enjoy the smell of Hoppes because you associate it with objects (guns) and an activity (shooting) you find enjoyable.

I don't know if that's it or not. I know that I also like the smell of WD-40 and gasoline, so maybe I just like things that smell like the garage?

Tommygunn
August 16, 2008, 07:33 PM
Humph.
The only thing gun-related I ever thought smelled good was a aerosol preservative called "Rust Prevent," which has a vanilla like smell ... and blackpowder...
Hope's is a good product but smell good ....nah.

Eric F
August 16, 2008, 07:35 PM
Its all in the name Hoppes Hops.......get it?

Samgotit
August 16, 2008, 08:04 PM
purple smells better than the other ones?

Edit: Original answer apparently offensive. :)

As for the question, of course!

Eric F
August 16, 2008, 08:06 PM
ok never mind............thanks

SFvet
August 16, 2008, 08:30 PM
Wierd lol I dunno.

MEH
August 16, 2008, 10:07 PM
I don't know about Hoppes, but I want them to make a candle that smells like an old battleship! :D

jad0110
August 16, 2008, 10:12 PM
You enjoy the smell of Hoppes because you associate it with objects (guns) and an activity (shooting) you find enjoyable.

You may be on to something.

I love guns and I love the smell of Hoppes :D . My wife hates guns and she hates the smell of Hoppes :( .

I'm also a car enthusiast, so I guess it isn't surprising that I like the smell of gasoline and especially new tires. :o

Though as much as I like the smell of Hoppes, the odor can get bothersome after a while. Kinda like how turkey dinner smells so wonderful before you eat it, but after you've gorged yourself you just want it to go away!

jad0110
August 16, 2008, 10:14 PM
I don't know about Hoppes, but I want them to make a candle that smells like an old battleship!

Years ago when I last set foot on the USS North Carolina (as a memorial), there were a few areas that smelled a lot like Hoppes :p .

sm
August 16, 2008, 10:16 PM
'nanner oil.

Banana oil for you non-southern folks...

Harley Quinn
August 16, 2008, 10:17 PM
Put some hoppes on your body, go someplace and see what most reactions will be... ode de hoppes is gross.:confused:

ds/ks
August 16, 2008, 10:28 PM
I agree with Seminole, my dad kept his cleaning gear in 50 cal can and when I smell Hoppes powder solvent. I can also hear that latch rattle on that ammo can. It amazes me how smells from childhood can stick with you for such a long time. He always told me, when I was a kid that they made it from banana peels. To me it just smells like good times.
I think I'll take dad out in the morning to shoot.

jkingrph
August 16, 2008, 10:48 PM
Years ago it contained nitrobenzene and smelled much better. Benzene and related compounds are considered carcinogens so it was removed from the formula. It's still good, but not as aromatic as it used to be and solvent action is not as good.

printcraft
August 16, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hungry while cleaning your guns?
Don't pick up the sandwich before washing.:barf:

Flyerman
August 16, 2008, 11:12 PM
i agree it does smell great, but i think you have missplled the word. i think it's spelled 'hops', and hops, being one of the main ingedients in beer, has a wonderful aroma. especially when i'm homebrewing an India Pale Ale, i love sticking my head over the brewpot just when i add an addition of 'hops' to the boil. now ya one and done it, i'm gonna have to go to my dedicated beer fridge, and have me a homebrewed IPA.

thanks for the trip down aromatherapy lane!

:D (jk)

Nate C.
August 16, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hoppe's is awesome. There is a little love in every bottle, straight from the factory.

FuzzyBunny
August 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
I love IPA and the smell of hops just rubbed on my hands.
My faavorite is one I make that is alot like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Anyway, there is very strong neuro connections between smaell and memory.
Smells have the power to bring very clear visual images even ones that are decades old.

.cheese.
August 16, 2008, 11:32 PM
If you're suffering from heavy metal toxicity.... would swallowing a tablespoon of Hoppes fix the problem?

hmmmmm.... time to contact NEJM.

In all honesty, I don't know what it is about Hoppes that I like. Something about the smell just seems manly.

Horsemany
August 16, 2008, 11:50 PM
amyl acetate. Another word for it is Banana oil. The new formula obviously no longer contains nitrobenzene, but still has the amyl acetate.

Jim DiGriz
August 17, 2008, 12:16 AM
I think I like it just for the mental associations. Every time I smell it I am reminded of my dad, who taught me how to use the stuff when I was little.

Good memories. Wife hates the smell though.

mnrivrat
August 17, 2008, 03:01 AM
I have a couple of bottles of "old formula" sitting on the shelf - don't use it , it is there for special occasion. Just like a fine bottle of wine ,it gets better with age. And perhaps more expensive ? ;)

TitaniumMan
August 17, 2008, 11:13 AM
All these responses and no one gave the right answer? It's the smell of freedom. Duh! :)

SJ1
August 17, 2008, 05:19 PM
Uh-oh, so the new Hoppes doesn't smell like the old? Must I be saving my old bottle for sentimental reasons and get a new one for cleaning my gun?

Oh, dear. Another "they don't make 'em like they used to"....

First, the bad news about RIG disappearing and now this. Part of shooting is the smell of Dad at the workbench and my great-grandfather's tools. I've been using ancient Hoppes and RIG. Looks like they ought to go on the dresser with the bottle of Joy perfume now.

.cheese.
August 17, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hoppes Elite smells different.... closer to the smell of WD-40 IMO.

matrem
August 17, 2008, 10:38 PM
Memories...Man..Memories...

Emfuser
August 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
Isoamyl acetate

When I was a boy scout long ago, the shooting instructor at my summer scout camp said of that stuff "it may smell good, but if you get even the slightest amount of it into you, it'll make you whistle without using your mouth."

That was a good reason to not taste-test it.

jhansman
August 18, 2008, 12:35 AM
I thought they added wintergreen to it to get that unique aroma. Perhaps not, but frankly, I don't care. It's not the most effective cleaner I use, but I use it all the time 'cause it's the smell of guns. :)

esmith
August 18, 2008, 12:44 AM
It's all about association. You enjoy the smell of Hoppes because you associate it with objects (guns) and an activity (shooting) you find enjoyable.

I don't think so.

azhunter122
August 18, 2008, 12:45 AM
I think that the smell just reminds you of good times. I always hear people saying that it smells like crap! I don't think so.

Nate C.
August 18, 2008, 01:02 AM
"smells good yes.. tastes good no"

I have to concur, and reminded myself of that out just this evening. I was happily scrubbing away with a saturated toothbrush, not paying the least attention to where the backsplatter was going...right into my Pearl beer. (Yes, they still make Pearl beer.) Not being one to waste beer, I quickly learned that pleasing aroma aside, 'nanner oil' or whatever it is is not compatible....:barf:

Stevie-Ray
August 18, 2008, 01:21 AM
seriously, you think it smells good? i wish there was something i could use that was odorless. that crap stinks up my whole apartment.Yup, I agree. Sounds like you need to use Hoppe's Elite. Not much smell at all and what there is is not offensive. I could use it in the kitchen if I'd a mind to. And I found it by asking on here, don'tcha know.:D Ask on here and ye shall receive.:D

Savage Shooter
August 18, 2008, 01:42 AM
I love the smell of it that and 3 in 1 oil its great. If they made it into a airfreshener like the little pine trees I would get a ton of them.:D

Rubber_Duck
August 18, 2008, 01:47 AM
If they made it into a airfreshener like the little pine trees I would get a ton of them.

You won't need the air freshener if you knock the bottle over and it spills all over the garage floor! :banghead:

Of course when I walked in two hours later I thought I really did have a Hoppes air freshener in there. :)

The local gun store where I bought my AR-15 has such a strong odor of Hoppes #9 in the air that it almost chokes you when you walk in the door!

GingerGuy
August 18, 2008, 09:17 AM
32 FL. OZ. vs. 2 FL. OZ.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm157/GingerGuy_photos/Forum%20Shots/522011.jpg

Phil DeGraves
August 18, 2008, 09:45 AM
What makes it smell good to me is the mental association I make with guns when I smell it.

printcraft
August 18, 2008, 06:08 PM
Can't believe you guys missed this one.

"Can you smell that, that Hoppes smell, the whole hill?"
"I love the smell of Hoppes in the morning..... smells like victory."

ranger335v
August 18, 2008, 08:26 PM
SM, #19. has it right.

If you enjoyed reading about "What makes Hoppes smell so good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!