What are the best foods to eat before you shoot.

PDA

John Fugate
August 17, 2008, 01:29 AM
This is a serious question, coffee is out for me and Red Bull makes me shake. Foods high in carbs makes me sluggish. I found a drink high in protien and low in sugar makes for a steady shot. Some foods are better for the brain and thats a fact. Has this ever been covered or brought up on this forum. John

If you enjoyed reading about "What are the best foods to eat before you shoot." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
August 17, 2008, 01:36 AM
Interesting question, and I'm looking forward to hearing some answers.

Drgong
August 17, 2008, 01:36 AM
A begal, juice, and propranolol does wonders....

Sorry, couldn't resist....

I just eat like I normally do...

I would love to hear what Olympic and other top shooters do eat, I am going to suck at shooting no matter what I eat right now...

Crunker1337
August 17, 2008, 01:38 AM
I vehemently dislike energy drinks. And coffee.
Tea, IMO, with a good bit of sugar. And toast, perhaps, and maybe and egg. Or, if you're hungrier, maybe some lightly flavored chicken or fish, pan-friend and unbreaded. 'Course, you can't go wrong with cookies and milk either, or a few pieces of sushi.

kingpin008
August 17, 2008, 01:38 AM
Good question indeed. For plinking and informal stuff, obviously eating whatever you'd normally eat wouldn't be a problem, but will be interesting to hear what (if any) special diets or foods have been found to be effective or are recommended to competition shooters to help them with their technique.

Pat-inCO
August 17, 2008, 01:40 AM
Like every other "BEST" it all depends.

It depends on glucose tolerance.
It depends on your allergies.
It depends on lactose intolerance.
It depends on how fat you are or are not.
It depends on your physical conditioning.
It depends on how much sleep you got last night.
It depends on how good or bad the traffic was on the way to the range.

It depends.

For me, Gator-aid (mixed half strength) and salted peanuts work wonders. For some others I know, that doesn't work.

It depends.

memphisjim
August 17, 2008, 01:42 AM
raw red meat

mangy
August 17, 2008, 01:45 AM
A Spam sandwhich:D:D

WNTFW
August 17, 2008, 02:29 AM
To say I am competition shooter would be an overstatement. I have just done 5 matches for the 1st time this year. I have competed in many other things including bicycle racing, running, motorsports etc.. Some of this has been proven to me in several sports.
I live in the New Orleans area. So heat is a big factor. A rifle match has you in the sun for longer periods of time. Pistol matches let you seek out the shade more regularly. The shooting jackets are fairly warm.
The main thing is to eat right and get your rest daily. Same for hydration. You may not sleep or eat well before an event anyway. You need to take care of hydration, nutrition & rest for several days before an event to get best results. 'event' may just be a day of plinking.
In the heat hydration is an issue. Water is the best thing to drink. I bring my own water. Only to make sure I have it. I have seen a Cooler get emptied early on. I also bring water to wash up with if the range doesn't have running water.
I also just bring fruit to eat. Fresh & dried. I get everything prepped & ready to eat the night before. Apples, oranges, watermelon grapes, etc. are washed cut sliced peeled packed & in the fridge. It is finger food at that point. Less mess & less likely to get forgotten. It also makes it easy to constantly nibble at your convenience, even on the drive home.
During long hot days plinking I have outlasted the other shooters. I also recover quicker. I am by no mean a vegetarian - like meat too. I would not decide to switch to a new diet all of a sudden. Try to make the change gradually. That way if a food doesn't agree with you won't let it ruin your shooting.
At my second match several of the top guys gave me advice before, during & after shooting. I was told that your eyesight is the first thing affected when your blood sugar drops or dehydration starts. Another thing a guy shared was focusing on specific objects causes eyestrain. Look off to infinity to relax your eyes before & after shooting.
Now if I can remember to bring a clipboard & calculator with me or not leave my spinner target in a borrow pit I'd be doing even better.

mgregg85
August 17, 2008, 03:33 AM
I go to my buddy's pizzeria and get a philly cheese steak.

Then again, I always shoot horribly so maybe thats not the best meal plan.

Hook686
August 17, 2008, 03:41 AM
pizza & beer (near beer)?

halfbreed808
August 17, 2008, 05:09 AM
Mangy try a fried spam sandwich with mayo and hot sauce.:neener::D:D

XDShooter07
August 17, 2008, 07:14 AM
glucose is what your brain uses for energy if that gives you any ideas. FRS Healthy Energy is good stuff for a wake up call without getting shaky; and it's much healthier than red bull or coffee. Go to www.frshealthyenergy.com

Kind of Blued
August 17, 2008, 07:23 AM
If you're hunting, you should eat some of whatever animal you are hunting for.

Not the ACTUAL animal of course. If you can take a bite out of it before you begin hunting it, you should have just killed it THEN.

DRYHUMOR
August 17, 2008, 09:05 AM
I've shot better rifle groups in the evening after work, lunch being 4-5 hours previous. Seems to be you are more relaxed, your body's not trying to metabolize.

I eat whatever, doesn't seem to matter.

I do know those 2 BIG cups of coffee in the morning tend to widen those groups til about 4 hrs or so after.

Philmccan
August 17, 2008, 10:36 AM
Nothing but cup-o-noodles for me. Really i mean nothing else, since getting my C&R license thats it! :what:

CHEVELLE427
August 17, 2008, 10:40 AM
Never Gave It Much Thought,
but IM not shooting any competition matches when i go out,
but if i were i guess something that would not make me jumpy,

eflatminor
August 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
I eat my normal, healthy meals at the normal time. At the match itself, I bring LOTS of water (the eyes are the first thing to go off when you get dehydrated) and for a snack, something without carbs, which I also find makes me sluggish. Fruit or meat (jerky if no BBQ) does the trick for me. I also keep a supply of D-Lead moist wipes to clearn my hands before I eat. Lead dust and dirty hands should not be part of your diet.

Walkalong
August 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
Eat normally. Just don't do a lot of sugar, too many starches, too much greasy stuff, or coffee, energy drinks, etc. Don't overeat, and keep something like granola bars to munch on if your stomach is talking to you, just a little, not a box of em.

poker88
August 17, 2008, 10:44 AM
If you are shooting to practice for competition then I think finding the right diet for you is a great idea.

If you are shooting to practice for self-defense then I think eating your normal diet is best. And considering the posts so far in this thread, maybe varying your diet and shooting at different times of the day would be a good idea. Then you would know how you body tends to react under varying circumstances.

CZ223
August 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
as at least one other poster pointed out on several factors. I competed in silhouete shooting for over ten years, where steadiness is crucial. The prevailing thoughts on this subject were pretty consistant. Eat well the night before but not over due it especially on carbs. If you must eat breakfast keep it light and stay away from sugars and caffeine. I shot best when I had eaten early the night before and did not go overboard. If I had to have something to eat during the day I kept it real light. Fruit is probably not a bad idea. I limited myself to a few cheeze-its. The biggest reason is that when your body is metabolizing food you tend to shake. If you have not eaten in several hours your body tries to conserve energy and you tend to shake less. Starving yourself however is not a good idea. I knew some guys that would go so far as to not drink caffeine for several weeks in advance of a big match. I like coffee way to much for that. When I was shooting competitively I saw a lot of guys who just nibbled on stuff like Cheeze-its and bananas during the day.

Justin
August 17, 2008, 11:12 AM
When I was heavily shooting Bullseye, I'd generally try to keep it light, protien-oriented, with heavy emphasis on hydration.

Decent breakfast with some kind of meat. Bottled water in the range box to drink in between strings. And about midway through the match, I'd usually eat a Clif bar or some peanuts and beef jerky. Some competitors seem to swear by bananas.

For IDPA matches, I do my best to stay hydrated, and usually eat a clif bar or two.

I've always avoided energy drinks or coffee. However, I know of at least one master-level High Power shooter who's sponsored by Red Bull and, if the stories are to be believed, drinks the stuff like it's going out of style.

Ben Shepherd
August 17, 2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah, eat a light, balanced meal. And keep a cliff bar, power bar, or tigers milk bar in your range bag. Some of the other ones(like nature valley, most nutri-grain varieties, and any bars you find in the kiddie isle next to the pop-tarts) are high in sugars and low on complex carbs. Might as well have a candy bar.

Basically, get your energy bars at a good sporting goods store, like REI, instead of the grocery store. With thier customer base they usually carry stuff that works. Stuff that doesn't work ends up not stocked quickly.

The key is you want foods that release glucose slowly but steadily. Lightly salted peanuts or cashews are also an excellent snack.

It's also better to take a bite here and there, rather than eat your snack all at once. That way your body doesn't try to re-route your blood supply to your digestive tract, and you avoid glucose and insulin spiking.

For us average types gatorade diluted down between 3 or 4 to one is a perfect drink on a hot sweaty day. The way it's packaged by the mfg. is WAY too high in sugars for a smooth release in the body. You're a shooter out for an all day match, NOT a defensive line man that needs 10 more minutes of brutally powerful major muscle movement from head to toe. BIG difference in energy requirements.

O C
August 17, 2008, 11:37 AM
Just don't eat anything that you have to cross your legs to eat(i.e ripe avacado with mayonaise) Couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle after that!!

yakkingallover
August 17, 2008, 11:43 AM
Before a range trip I will usually eat two pieces of wheat toast with a smear of crunchy peanutbutter and a very small drizzle of raw honey. This covers protein and carbs and the sugars are natural and don't make me jittery. I try to eat this at least an hour before I leave for the range so it isn't just weighing me down and I don't burn all my energy on digesting...

bluetopper
August 17, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've always heard that a good stiff drink will settle your nerves.:eek:

Any thruth to that?

pbearperry
August 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
I eat an Italian cold cut sub.After you finish,bring the sandwich wrapper to the range in case you need any rust removal or lubrication.

Harve Curry
August 17, 2008, 11:53 AM
Excellent question with a few good answers. I've often wondered what helps and what defintely does'nt help steady a shooters aim. Some people it matters alot, others can eat anything. Exrecise , getting your heart, respratory rate going, is important. Does the US Palma Team, US Shooting Team, NRA have anything to recommend?

BruceRDucer
August 17, 2008, 01:20 PM
Whatever happened to...

"I can outdrink, outride, outeat, outshoot....etc?":p

rockinrussky
August 17, 2008, 01:39 PM
They sell plenty of deer jerky at gun shows, so I assume that means its good for shooters right? :rolleyes:

BruceRDucer
August 17, 2008, 01:42 PM
And no disrespect to the question.

If someone shoots in competition, and wants to stay away from caffeine and that, this is very sensible to pursue a certain diet.

I might add, that maybe some of those supplements that are supposed to stimulate mental focus might even be helpful. I don't know their names though.

scrat
August 17, 2008, 01:44 PM
Whatever happened to...

"I can outdrink, outride, outeat, outshoot....etc?"

Im right here. I guess i still got you guys beat. Never did matter to me. I can eat whatever. or nothing. Take yesterday friday we had pizza for dinner. Just a quick friday meal. Well saturday i had to go to work. I was out of the house at 3am. I had one cup of coffee at 3am. By 10am i was on my way home. When we got home i loaded up the car. Then we left on to the range. Somewhere around 2pm i believe i sent my son over to the hot dog stand and we chowed down on those jumbo hot dogs. Then back to shooting. Other times though it really dosent matter to me. I have gone to the ranges like this barely eating. Or other times just stopped off at the burger place and picked something up. As for drinks dosent matter to me. I was really tired by the time i got home last night from the range. However i was still hitting everything i was aiming at.

3pairs12
August 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
Big ole bowl of plain cheerios for me, no coffee or energy drink seems to be my best approach but I am in no way a competetive shooter.

BruceRDucer
August 17, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hey Scrat! Well met. I've always been able to eat and drink just about anything. I drink all the coffee I want and it doesn't affect me, not one bit, not one bit, not one bit, not one bit...:p

Howard Roark
August 17, 2008, 02:17 PM
Here is an article about nutrition from the USAMU. (http://www.odcmp.org/0906/default.asp?page=USAMU_RANGEDIET)

Mr. Craig is a ripped body builder and knows of what he speaks. The only thing I have ever seen him eat is chicken!

The shooters I meet at Cracker Barrel for breakfast before matches usually order the Grandpa special.

Chris Rhines
August 17, 2008, 02:28 PM
Saul Kirsch's excellent book, Thinking Practical Shooting, has a section on diet. Read it!

On training days, I try to stay hydrated, but do nothing special otherwise.

On match days, I generally have a larger breakfast than normal, then skip lunch. Instead, I take some sugar-free yogurt, gorp*, or Clif bars, and munch on those throughout the day. Also, plenty of water.

* - Gorp. One part salted peanuts, one part raisins, one part plain M&Ms. The greatest energy food ever invented.

- Chris

Texasred
August 17, 2008, 02:38 PM
Sushi does make sense

Howard Roark
August 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
Chris, It looks like we are on the same page.

I always buy one new thing to take to Perry every year. This year I bought a Camelbak. It's the best piece of equipment I own. I drank more water daily with the pack than without. I've also discovered the tuna and chicken salad kits for lunch while pulling targets.

Good Ole Rasions and Peanuts.

scrat
August 17, 2008, 03:22 PM
I just dont get it. i mean maybe its because im not malnurished nor was i raised that way. However when i go shooting its not like i need a lot of physical energy to pull a trigger or hold a gun steady. I guess maybe i need to write a book on how what you eat before shooting doesnt do diddly squat. I have had a good cup of coffee while shooting i have ate whatever. If you want to sit be hind me after eating 3 bowls of chilli beans thats your problem. You know when you pull the trigger and screw up. Same time you know when you pull the trigger and hit dead on target. These are not things i need a massive amount of carbohydrates for. i need to be able to hold a gun steady take aim and fire. Its not rocket science. Man figured out how to shoot a gun for a few hundred years now. eating has never been a problem.

So what your saying. If the Government read this book and made the soldiers eat better in Vietnam our casualty rate would have been a lot better.

I doubt it. its practice, practice practice practice. then when the adrenaline kicks in the practicing pays off.

Lewis130
August 17, 2008, 03:35 PM
A mixed grill :)

.cheese.
August 17, 2008, 03:43 PM
same as always.... good complex carbs, lots of fiber, and lots of protein. Get it however you want.

who mentioned Propranolol? Why would you need a beta blocker for shooting?

SJ1
August 17, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm new to shooting, but I've done a lot of performing as a soloist. I have found that coffee and sugar are very bad for mental poise.

Alcohol is out of the question, but maybe those posts were merely jokes.

I find that eating food made from scratch, free of chemical additives helps. Commercially prepared food has a lot of toxins in it.

I also don't eat grains, except occasionally teff, and not much of it.

Meat, vegetables, organic dairy, maybe some non-acidic fruit. I also eat seaweed. Strengthens the immune system and is full of minerals, which strengthen the nervous system, too.

I eat a high alkaline/low acid diet and find it helps my mental clarity.

Some people like to take supplements, too. Vitamin B is good for the nerves. So is magnesium.

As has been mentioned, what one eats directly before shooting depends on how one lives the rest of the time, as well.

All the best to you!

rem
August 17, 2008, 05:17 PM
Absolutely no caffeine or other stimulants. Bananas are known to calm the nerves/shakes. Small doses of Beta blockers also help to even out adrenaline bursts which prevent shakes.

WSM MAGNUM
August 17, 2008, 06:34 PM
I think any drink with caffeine in should be avoided. And foods with high sugar content should be at a minimum. If I drink a soda and have a donut before I shoot, I`ll have serious heartburn.
The best thing to drink in my opinion while shooting is just plain water. The rest is crap.
I don`t think it is a very good idea to eat while shooting. Eat something healthy like fruit or nuts before you shoot, and wash your hands after shooting.

Curly
August 17, 2008, 07:00 PM
On hot days, if you are drinking lots of water you run the risk of depleting your potassium level. This causes involuntary muscle spasms. Ask me how I know! It happened to me yesterday. Eating a banana resolved the problem almost instantly. I had been snacking on trail mix bars, but nothing salty, before experiencing the muscle spasm. GORP gets a +1 also.

gizamo
August 17, 2008, 07:16 PM
Mostly,

Humble Pie....

Giz

TStorm
August 17, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have to admit that Waffle House is my guilty pleasure on an early weekend morning prior to IDPA. :D

John Fugate
August 17, 2008, 08:53 PM
Thank You guys for all the post, I thought this was a very interesting subject. People forget how important this can be to be a top shooter. I eat a balanced meal just before I go to the range. I am lean on the suger and high on the protien side. I drink distilled water and watch my sodium. Omega 3's are most important. Keep eating right and never shoot on a empty stomach.
John

esmith
August 17, 2008, 08:56 PM

It depends.

For me, Gator-aid (mixed half strength) and salted peanuts work wonders. For some others I know, that doesn't work.

It depends.

Wait, im lost. It does what? I don't get it.... Whats this depends you speak of. Im a simple man and do not posess an engineering degree. How do you know these new fangled things.

bearmgc
August 17, 2008, 09:16 PM
Peanut butter crackers or protein bar, whatever kind is on sale at the time, and a glass of vanilla soy milk. Yes couple cups coffee enroute, and raisins or dried fruit and another protein bar in the fanny pack. Sometimes if I'm camping, I'll have instant oatmeal with peanutbutter and raisins in it, soy milk, coffee and off to the hunt.

doc2rn
August 17, 2008, 09:21 PM
Carrots for eye sight

Bananas for potassium (reflex)

Milk for bones and muscles

Multi-Vitamin daily

ColinthePilot
August 17, 2008, 09:24 PM
never thought about it, but its possible that those morning shoots where my friend brought the targets and I brought the coffee and donuts were hurting my shooting. I didn't shoot pistol very well back then. Now I usually shoot in the afternoons, a few hours away from the morning coffee, and shoot much better. Could have something to do with a few years practice and a better gun, but I'm gonna go with the donuts for this thread.

.cheese.
August 17, 2008, 09:34 PM
I am lean on the suger and high on the protien side.

Protein is great. I find that to maximize my energy - and this is what I do before I work out - is to start with some sugar..... simple sugar even. Why? This allows you to produce serotonin more quickly, and you will fee full faster. Really, I only do this so I don't over-eat. Then I eat complex carbs. Carbs are great for fast energy. I think of them as $1 dollar bills in your wallet.... you can get by with $20 bills only, or $100 bills even, but often times $1 bills are more handy and convenient for most purchases. So, the carbs help me get energy fast. I make sure that the carbs are coming from things high in fiber, which will help control my metabolism and make me feel energized for longer periods of time, with hunger taking longer to reach afterwards. Then, I go for protein. Our bodies can turn protein into energy, but it takes more time - that's where the carbs come in handy. Carbs are like a starter kit of energy, and protein is the real deal to keep you going. Remember though - your body can only process so much protein at a time, so more protein and less carbs isn't going to work, because the extra protein will not be accessible at all...... whatever protein is accessible, will take some time to be converted into energy.... so the high-fiber carb foods help out. Also, a little bit of fat is a good thing too.

I find stuff like a big salad with dressing and some kind of meat is a great way to get energy. A big bowl of high-fiber cereal and some eggs is another. Sandwhiches with whole-wheat high fiber bread (I love the new Double-Fiber breads that are out these days) packed with some ham and mayo, along with some fruit is also good. These are all ways to get good energy. I start meals believe it or not with a Pixie Stick for the simple sugar.

Unfortunately, I have Crohn's disease, so in a flare - 90% of what I just listed is not edible for me. However, right now my health is good, so the above is stuff I eat.... and it's also helping me slim down too.

Also - Pure Protein is an awesome drink. You guys have to try it. They sell it in GNC and I just buy it 4 cases at a time.

Ala Dan
August 17, 2008, 10:43 PM
I drink GatorAde G2, before-during-and after shoots. :uhoh: ;)

August 17, 2008, 11:48 PM
BACON lots and lots of BACON. Sorry, I love BACON!

Dan Forrester
August 18, 2008, 12:17 AM
I usually have an MRE before I go shooting and follow it up with some T-rations when we return home.

Dan

FourNineFoxtrot
August 18, 2008, 12:19 AM
The Foxtrot recipe for having a great excuse for why you couldn't hit anything at the range:

The night before:

Pepperoni Pizza- As much as you can cram down your pie hole (for me, that's a lot)

Maker's Mark whisky (Imbibe until you get really philosophical about things. Stop before puking)

Java Monster- Irish Blend (Best energy drink ever, bar none)

Stay up all night, drunk and jittery.

In the morning, get a Carl's Jr. Breakfast Burger (Best fast food breakfast sandwich, bar none) and a black coffee.

Have another energy drink. You'll need it to wash down the aspirin and antacids.

Go shooting.

There it is. I've done this. Frankly, it doesn't affect me much, but I'm not the best shot, anyway. I'm immune to caffeine by now, and Maker's Mark is a clean-burning booze, leaves me pretty clear-headed. If I feel like crap, no healthy-eats are gonna make me feel better. If I feel good, it takes more than the most unhealthy diet I can devise to bring me down.

I am a human cockroach, though. I've learned through experience that I can survive on pringles and beer for days. That's not the kind of thing you can learn about yourself without realizing that you're the bottom rung of humanity. So, if you're a normal person... don't do this.

azhunter122
August 18, 2008, 12:34 AM
I find that when out hunting I can get bored so that's when I eat. I eat just about anything you could think of! lol

Emfuser
August 18, 2008, 08:49 AM
I drink a pot of coffee before I leave, then I eat whole cartridges on the way, using my mouth to shoot the bullets at motorists who irritate me while spitting the casings into a bucket on the passenger seat.

If you want a serious answer, then this was the best one back on page 1:

It depends.
--------------------------

You need to eat a healthy, well-rounded breakfast of foods your body accepts readily.

cavman
August 18, 2008, 09:30 AM
who mentioned Propranolol? Why would you need a beta blocker for shooting?

see recent Olympic thread: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=385466&highlight=propranolol+beta

My matches start at 9am. I generally have to leave for them by ~7:30am.

I have found that I can't have caffeine at that time and still shoot at my best. Sugar, too, kills me (perhaps because I am in "fasting" state). At lunch some tuna fillets or an Italian.

and Hydrate! When I brought "extra" water, i found I drank them.

FuzzyBunny
August 18, 2008, 09:51 AM
I used to shoot with a Dr and he took a valium before going shooting.

I ask him what was up with that and this is what he told me.
When he did surgery under a microscope or any fine motor skill
operation he took one. He said it removes the micro tremors and
almost every surgeon that did vascular or very small sutures did this.
He said the young Drs are ok but after 35 or 40 years old the
micro tremors did increase in men.

I have seen him shoot with out the valium and his groups do open up.
He shot 300yd all the time so it did seem to work for him.

He also avoided all stimulants 12 hours prior to shooting. He also avoided
aspirin and advil as he said it changed his prosteglandin(sp) level.
Now I do not understand the aspirin thing but he was a hell of a shot.

Any Drs here that might comment on this?

Dravur
August 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
A begal, juice, and propranolol does wonders

a Beagle? You shouldn't eat your dog.

I use a camelback loaded with ice and let it melt throughout the day. I also keep a cooler stocked with water and gatorade. I take a few high protein and granola style bars and Im good to go. I have to watch it if my blood sugar gets too low, I get shaky.

30 cal slob
August 18, 2008, 11:04 AM
Here is an article about nutrition from the USAMU.

While I agree that sound nutrition is a no-brainer, eating all that healthy crap right before a shoot is a no-no in my book.

Even if you have heart beat timing, breath control, sight alignment and trigger control down, you ain't gonna be hitting the side of a barn if you feel the urge to break wind every 30 seconds.

"clear on the left ... braaaap ... clear on the right .... braaap ... CEASE FIRE CASE FIRE braaaap."

jackstinson
August 18, 2008, 11:10 AM
5 carne asada tacos, 1 bean & cheese burrito, 4 cups of black coffee, and 3 Hersey bars.....the breakfast of champions.

.cheese.
August 18, 2008, 12:29 PM
From other thread about Beta-Blockers:

make stress disapear, make you calm and smooth

Total BS. I've taken Beta-Blockers. They do not make stress disappear. They are not Benzos like Xanax. What they do is change your body's reaction to stress. Your heart rate and blood-pressure are mainly what they control. When taken in conjunction with Xanax or some other anti-anxiety benzo, together they accomplish the above quoted goal. However, Beta-Blockers by themselves don't do that.

K3
August 18, 2008, 05:58 PM
While I agree that sound nutrition is a no-brainer, eating all that healthy crap right before a shoot is a no-no in my book.

Even if you have heart beat timing, breath control, sight alignment and trigger control down, you ain't gonna be hitting the side of a barn if you feel the urge to break wind every 30 seconds.

"clear on the left ... braaaap ... clear on the right .... braaap ... CEASE FIRE CASE FIRE braaaap."

I couldn't eat that way and go to our range. They don't allow Class III weapons. Particularly the Methane Minigun. :D

Seriously though, I avoid caffeine and sugar. I usually shoot in the AM and get there around 830, 30 minutes early to set up chrono etc before range opens. I have my usual bowl of shredded wheat with raisins. I'll have a protein drink while shooting, as it's pretty much food, and I don't have to be grabbing a sammich with lead and gunpowder covered boogerhooks.

thegoodfight
August 18, 2008, 06:29 PM
this is interesting...I always try to eat something before I go to the range, but usually I'm so excited I won't stop and get fast food. So usually it's a bagel on the go, or toast, or maybe a sandwich. Maybe I should start preparing huge meals before I go?

teknoid
August 18, 2008, 06:36 PM
Sliders and Pinto beans. I don't like to be crowded at the range. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "What are the best foods to eat before you shoot." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!