Browning Hi-power Price / Value...

PDA

Fire-4-Effect
August 17, 2008, 05:50 PM
I have wanted a good steel 9mm pistol for some time now and was about to purchase a CZ-75B. When I went to the gun store to make the purchase he just got in a barely used Browning Hi-Power. He was selling it for $599.00. So, now I have a dilemma... that seems cheap for a like new Hi-Power. They both feel great in my hand. The CZ has night sights and is stainless. BUT, I have heard such good things about the hi-power and this seems like such a great deal. Is the hi-power worth it? By not getting the CZ I will miss out on that cool 22 lr conversion kit.

What would you guys do?

PR

Sorry about the spelling mistake in the subject line.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi-power Price / Value..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
huntershooter
August 17, 2008, 06:11 PM
I'd get the BHP.

atblis
August 17, 2008, 06:43 PM
Get which ever one you like more. It's really a toss up. Hi Powers are decent. If you're thinking they'll in some way shoot more accurately or be more reliable than other decent guns you'll be disappointed. It's pretty much a matter of which one fits your hand better.

I've owned both, and truthfully I don't care for the Hi Power. They never seem to be as accurate as my CZs and not as reliable either. Could be luck of the draw I guess. Don't know.

that seems cheap for a like new Hi-Power.
Ehhhh, assuming it's a basic Hi Power, that actually sounds a touch high, but not outrageous. It really depends though.

thegoodfight
August 17, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hi Powers are cool guns, but CZs are probably just as good. BHP have a cult like following just like CZ. Both will probably be about as reliable and last as long as the other.

atblis
August 17, 2008, 07:25 PM
CZ will easily out last a HiPower. Not saying Hipowers are extremely fragile, just that CZs are rather robust when it comes to pounding out some rounds.

98% of gun owners will never shoot enough rounds to get a major component in either to fail.

Beagle-zebub
August 17, 2008, 08:10 PM
Like the 1911, the Hi-Power has historical appeal, being the pistol of choice for NATO and every other non-communist, non-1911 user, and being designed to a certain extent by JMB. Also to its credit, it is pretty darn slim, I'm lead to understand.

Fire-4-Effect
August 17, 2008, 08:28 PM
I thought the price was good as gunbroker did not have a great selection. I have found a few for around $499 but they were used. When I added shipping and FFL transfer fee they came in close to the same.

Seems like people think I should get the CZ instead. I have held both in my hand for a while and dry fired both. Here is a question: Which one has a better trigger pull? I had a hard time telling in the gun shop.

Thanks

PR

belus
August 17, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ultimately it's a toss up. I bet you'll end up owning both at some point if you like one.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ-75%20or%20BHP.htm
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Browning%20and%20CZ.htm
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ75.htm

The BHP's trigger is generally worse than the CZ's out of the box, but has more potential. The BHP is also a bit slimmer, which makes it easier to conceal... not by a ton, but noticeable.

atblis
August 18, 2008, 10:57 AM
That may be a good price. It depends.

What exactly is it? Belgian, Belgian/Portuguese, etc. etc.

I think that a pretty older one 60's, 70's maybe would certainly go for that.

One of the newer production Belgian/Portuguese ones, probably 500ish.
Argentine $400-$500 or so if it is nice
Hungarian, $250

Search on Gunbroker, but search for "completed auctions" and sort by number of bids so that you look at auctions that have 1 or more bids.

RPCVYemen
August 18, 2008, 03:32 PM
Can you test fire/handle them?

HP's are very cool, but the only two I have fired have had really crappy triggers. Yes, they were single action, but they were heavier and rougher than any DA I have shot.

One was a rental that probably still had the magazine safety, the other had definitely had the magazine safety removed.

I know that there are people on THR who love them, and report their HP's have great triggers, so maybe it's just the two I handled. Or maybe the ones people like have had lots of work don on them. I don't know.

After firing the 2nd one, I picked up an AR 24 (all steel CZ-75) for less than the price you are showing for the HP.

Mike

GP100
August 18, 2008, 04:08 PM
Pryker: Your question on trigger pull is hard to compare as BHP is Single action gun and most CZ's are DA/SA. CZ is probably more rugged and SA trigger on HP is probably very heavy if it's on a newer one. Older HP's had lighter trigger pulls till the lawyers took over the world. My vote would by the CZ. In fact, I traded a MKIII recently for a CZ75 and could not be happier.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi-power Price / Value..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!