banded front sight

PDA

mike6975
August 18, 2008, 09:10 AM
i posted this on another forum,but i wanted to get some more insight and feedback from this question.does anyone know how to accomplish this beside professional smiths or could i do this myself?.i think i have an idea on how to make it but im asking for any feedback or ideas on how to do this.

*gauge the outer barrel

*buy a round stock of steel(could use help choosing one)

*drill out middle to within tolerence of barrel diameter.

*file to fit when it feels like not going to move

*silver solder when it's complete

*work on top sight next

i now someone could steer me in the right direction or tell me not todo it at all any help would be most appreciated.:)

mike

If you enjoyed reading about "banded front sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
August 18, 2008, 10:40 AM
Do you have a lathe, milling machine, or a lot of files and superb filing skills?

If so you are all set.

Or you could buy one from Brownells. They are meant for rifles, you would have to do some restyling for it to look good on a pistol, but the hard work will have been done for you.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9656&title=

DuncanSA
August 18, 2008, 11:28 AM
This is one of the options I am considering for a 1860 "Army" replica where I have shortened the barrel. Please let us know the other forum you used - I would like to see the comments there.

sharps59
August 18, 2008, 12:35 PM
why not just dovetail the barrel put on a tall sight set your windage and elevation then silver soider in place and contour to the barrel:confused:

mike6975
August 18, 2008, 03:02 PM
thanks for the replies and info.the site was the "firingline"(awesome site as is this one),and i think with some hard work and patients i could do it with minimum tools and set up,and if not then i'll chalk it up as a learning experience and share it with everyone,still i think it looks cool and plan on trying to do it.

mike

If you enjoyed reading about "banded front sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!