Well, darn. In Florida and no gun.

PDA

Hoplophile
August 18, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hurricane Fay is about to be all over me and I've got nothing with a bit of boom in its heart and fire in its belly to discourage the rioting masses. And they WILL riot.

As for why I don't have a gun, I'm a poor student. I guess I'll go with the barbecue fork.

(Anyone wanna loan me a gun? :D)

(edit: I was kidding about the loan)

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, darn. In Florida and no gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deus Machina
August 18, 2008, 05:24 PM
I've got a NIB Saiga on layaway. If you wanna pay that off for me, you can borrow it for the weekend. :D

Hoplophile
August 18, 2008, 05:30 PM
Ha, from where? I just called University Gun and Pawn, they said they didn't have any.

Deus Machina
August 18, 2008, 05:53 PM
I grabbed it off Gunbroker. The seller told me he was sending it out when I won it, which confuses me because it's not paid off yet. :scrutiny:

tblt
August 18, 2008, 05:55 PM
Fay is nothing don't get your panties in a wad

Blackbeard
August 18, 2008, 06:06 PM
Looks more like "Rainstorm Fay" now.

bogie
August 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
I keep expecting to see a reporter in front of a starbucks...

"And as you can see, the high winds have torn the awning from the front of this building, and the owner says we have to enter through the side door."

"Thanks, Ahmet. More on the Florida Coffee Crisis in a moment, and we look into what George Bush did to cause the shortage!"

SCKimberFan
August 18, 2008, 07:49 PM
HEY!!!

I'm in West Palm Beach right now and its raining!!!

Not very hard mind you, but it is raining. :D:D

yakkingallover
August 18, 2008, 07:50 PM
Where ya at in Florida??? No legal citizen should go unarmed, hurricane or no hurricane...

Chester32141
August 18, 2008, 07:55 PM
Y'all best watch out ... we'uns is always on the look out for a Tenderfoot wiff out a shootin' iron ...

Chester

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetemp_both/language/www/US/FL/New_Smyrna_Beach.gif

ranger335v
August 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
"Thanks, Ahmet. More on the Florida Coffee Crisis in a moment, and we look into what George Bush did to cause the shortage!"

That's not quite the way the "news" media actually sees it; Geo, Bush caused global warming and off-shore drilling and that's WHAT CAUSES HURRICANES! Get rid of Geo. Bush and Halliburton and storms will vanish, birds will fly, Bambi will florish and all of life will be sweetness again, like it was when Cartier was president.

NOTE: Andrea Michell of NBC wonders if McCain listened to the questions before hand, he sounded so "prepaired". Wonder if it ever occurs to her, et al in the media, that Obamma is simply NOT PREPARED!

My impresson Sat. night was that Sen. Hussan would be a pretty fair liberal (naturally) university professor of Phylosyphy 101 while Sen. McCain is a political leader prepared for the national stage.

ranger335v
August 18, 2008, 08:12 PM

That's not quite the way the "news" media actually sees it; they figger Geo, Bush caused global warming and off-shore drilling and that's WHAT CAUSES HURRICANES! Get rid of Geo. Bush and Halliburton and storms will vanish, birds will fly, Bambi will florish and all of life will be sweetness again, like it was when Carter was president. Or even LBJ.

NOTE: Andrea Michell of NBC wonders if McCain listened to the questions before hand, he sounded so "prepaired". Wonder if it ever occurs to her, et al in the media, that Obamma is simply NOT PREPARED!

My impresson Sat. night was that Sen. Hussan would be a pretty fair liberal (naturally) university professor of Phylosyphy 101 while Sen. McCain is a political leader prepared for the national stage.

TehK1w1
August 18, 2008, 09:07 PM
CNN's tagline for Fay on the news earlier today was "Deadly storm heads toward Florida Coast"-lol

FCFC
August 18, 2008, 11:17 PM
Hurricane Fay is about to be all over me and I've got nothing with a bit of boom in its heart and fire in its belly to discourage the rioting masses. And they WILL riot.

...nothing with bit of boom in its heart.... http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/7.gif

Interesting prediction about rioting masses. Do you really think that will happen due to Fay?

divemedic
August 19, 2008, 12:02 AM
No, this storm is no big deal. As an emergency responder, I hate to see the press make such a big deal out of a minor storm. Then when the big one really does come, you have that many more foolish people who won't evacuate, believing that hurricanes are nothing to worry about.

The Chicken Little syndrome.

Deus Machina
August 19, 2008, 02:19 AM
+1

The media down here clings to any little rainshower when nothing else is going on.

But it is true that some places almost always get broken into when they shut down for the day and the police are busy with the storm accidents the idiot drivers down here always cause.

Dr. Dickie
August 19, 2008, 07:40 AM
CNN's tagline for Fay on the news earlier today was "Deadly storm heads toward Florida Coast"-lol

It is a storm, and when a good thundershower hits areas like Haiti, Dominican Republic, etc. someone always dies in a mudslide, flooding, etc.
The press never passes up a chance for a bit of hyperbole.

divemedic
August 19, 2008, 02:29 PM
That, and I have found "storm related" to be a little loose. If a person gets in a car accident during the storm, the death becomes storm related. It isn't as if all of the people were killed by wind and debris.

Even a person dying from having his sixth heart attack while cleaning post storm debris cleanup is considered storm related.

CZ-100
August 19, 2008, 02:31 PM
Well we have had a few GOOD rain bands come thru and some winds gusts above 40 mph, but all in all not bad.

My roof was leaking, damn solar panels for the pool, I removed them 2 years ago (damaged from Hurricane Wilma) and tarred over the bolt holes, but I guess one was leaking, we just had a lull in the rain, so I just came down from re-tarring it, we shall see if it works.

Hoplophile
August 19, 2008, 02:43 PM
This is the single most pathetic storm I've ever seen. It's not even raining. Stupid media hyperbole, oooh we're all gonna die, etc etc etc.

I'm in Tampa.

FCFC
August 19, 2008, 03:06 PM
No "rioting masses" yet?
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif

Neocode
August 19, 2008, 03:10 PM
No rioting here in Titusville... just wind and rain and some more wind and some more rain...

We were supposed to be on the Eastern side of the storm, but then it turned, and we're directly in it's path.

I'm not concerned.

What DOES concern me is the Hurricane Flu that might follow....:uhoh:

blackcash88
August 19, 2008, 06:04 PM
As for why I don't have a gun, I'm a poor student.

Where are you going to school? UCF, Embry Riddle?

As for not being able to afford a gun, I'll bet you spend more money in a month drinking/eating out/partying/going clubbing, etc than a decent handgun would cost. If so, cut back and bank the extra cash for a gun. Used Glocks can be had for around $400. You can find SKSs and used shotguns for pretty darned cheap, too.

elrod
August 19, 2008, 07:39 PM
ibtl :neener:

blackcash88
August 19, 2008, 07:46 PM
Que?

Vonderek
August 19, 2008, 07:47 PM
Umbrella more tactical than gun for this storm.

Actually, Fay has been good for the state. After a few years of drought we're getting a needed soaking.

tigre
August 19, 2008, 08:35 PM
We've had lovely weather in Tampa today. Overcast and breezy, feels like "winter" blowing in. I've got the patio door open for the first time in months.

I'm trying really hard to think of a way to make this gun related, but it's just some wind and a bit of rain (not even that, here), so not much to go with...I did just put another coat of tung oil on an SKS stock I'm refinishing. I'd worry about the humidity making it take longer to dry, but this is Florida in the summer, even without a storm. The only way to get reasonable levels of humidity is to wait until December.

tigre
August 20, 2008, 01:25 AM
No "rioting masses" yet?
Not exactly masses, but some people will take advantage of any situation they come across:
Brevard County sheriff's deputies arrested three men for looting in the mobile home park, and a trapper was called to remove an alligator discovered wandering there. Link (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/19/national/main4361615.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_4361615)

The homes of people who have evacuated are targets for burglars. That'd be true in mild storms as much as in really strong ones, and in emergency situations police may be occupied with other concerns.

Old School
August 20, 2008, 01:42 AM
I have not seen much Katrina type behavior after hurricaines in Florida. There was looting in Miami after Andrew, but it was mostly retail stores that were complete losses anyway. Many of the neighborhoods in the Miami area had messages in spray paint on the side that said "looters will be shot". There was active citizen groups patrolling the streets and nobody messed with them.

Within just a day or two it was common to see M16 equipped national guard patrolling retail areas to discourage further looting. Because of this excellent response, what happened in New Orleans was amazing to me.

myrockfight
August 20, 2008, 02:02 AM
Hey Hop. Are you going to USF? I got Saiga which I had on order since March. Drop me a PM sometime if you are interested in an AK clone. If not maybe we can just go shooting sometime.

This "hurricane" business is ridiculous. It is all a big farce. No wonder no one listens to the warnings anymore. If you are on any kind of a budget and they freak you out into going to buy a bunch of supplies that you don't need - where does that leave you. I know you should have the stuff anyway and I certainly do. I can see what leads low-income families to not prepare for this kind of thing - at least partly anyway. Not that it is any kind of excuse.

It is too bad how the media plays this stuff up just to get people watching the news. It certainly seemed like it was really out of line this time around. We still haven't gotten a drop of rain here.

Needless to say - I don't see any looting in the near future. Thankfully. I wouldn't worry about being armed any more than a usual day. Which doesn't leave me with any more or less guns and ammo than I need to outfit a platoon. LOL. JK.

rayman
August 20, 2008, 10:02 AM
Just got to Jacksonville, had to get rid of all of guns to make ends meet. Got batteries, food, & water though. Hope those rioters don't come my way

FCFC
August 20, 2008, 10:17 AM
They're (probably) coming...

http://www.geocities.com/segacs2/weblog/smashwindows.jpg

XDKingslayer
August 20, 2008, 11:53 AM
No they won't riot. We Floridians know how to act during a hurricane.

New Orleans should have paid better attention to us during 2004...

feedthehogs
August 20, 2008, 04:17 PM
to discourage the rioting masses. And they WILL riot.

While there may be a subversive scattered among the masses, Florida doesn't riot during or after hurricanes.

They are old news to us and the hype of the tv news crews is just astounding.

When describing the hugh damage caused by the storm, they showed plastic recycle bins blown across the street.

We ain't no N.O. and the lowlife that lived there that now resides in Houston.

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, darn. In Florida and no gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!