Howa Barreled Action

PDA

viking499
August 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
Anyone ever bought a Howa barreled action? How did they shoot?

I know the Weatherby's are the same thing. Just wondering about the barreled action and not the whole gun.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Howa Barreled Action" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
August 19, 2008, 01:27 PM
I've owned something like 4 HOWA/Vanguards over a period of time a couple of 22-250s, 6.5x55 and a 300wby. In all honesty I cannot recall EVER shooting a great group with any of them, at best they all just shot kinda OK 2 to 2.5 MOA

Then there's the overinflated price they ask for their barreled actions.

rklessdriver
August 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
I guess I'm the other side of the coin here.

I have 2 Weatherby Vanguards.

One in .223 Rem I bought back in 1995 with the factory green "Fiberguard" Alum pillar stock. This rifle from day one has been able to shoot 5 rounds into one ragged hole (1/4") with my 60gr Trophy Bonded bullet hand loads. It still shoots factory loaded Winchester 64gr Power Points into 1/2" groups all day long, any day of the week. The only thing this rifle hasn't shot well was some M855 military surplus I tried once just for GP.

The other is a plain jane "Walmart Weatherby" in .300 Wthby Mag and shoots well a under 1" @100yrds using factory 180gr Weatherby Norma ammo. Its the only ammo I have ever shot out of it.

My personal experience has been stellar. I know everyones experience won't be as good as mine but by and large Weatherby and Howa sell a fine rifle for the money here. Given that I had the need for a new rifle, money to buy one and oportunity I'b buy another Vanguard or Howa 1500.
Will

skinewmexico
August 19, 2008, 02:22 PM
I have 2 Howa's, and they both shoot about 2 MOA, although I have made several of the greatest hunting shots ever with the 25-06. Do yourself a favor, buy a Savage unbarreled action, and then a Shilen Supermatch barrel. It will shoot circles around the Howa/Weatherby, for close to the same money.

viking499
August 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
Where do you get the savage actions from?

ArmedBear
August 19, 2008, 02:58 PM
I know someone who bought one in .223 with a varmint barrel. He's a "600 club" guy -- as in someone who gets together with buddies, works up perfect loads, and shoots prairie dogs at over 600 yards as a hobby. He's also an amateur gunsmith who's really picky about what he shoots, and who has an enormous gun collection of true classics.

He put the Howa action in a custom super-fancy walnut stock and built the classiest-looking varminter I've ever seen. Looks like a high-dollar custom sporter, but with a heavier barrel. Accurate and solid.

He's really happy with it, and his opinion counts for a lot. He doesn't care too much for a Savage he built, though I'm not sure what his objections are.

I've got a Vanguard Sporter in .30-06, also. Accurate, solid. Not light, but otherwise it's great.

35Rem
August 19, 2008, 03:03 PM
Had a .308 that was put in a Ramline stock. It wouldn't shoot 150 grain stuff to save it's life, or mine...
HOWEVER...
I tried a box of Federal Classic 180 grain soft points...MAGIC, under 1", mostly 3/4" groups all day. They are good guns, as far as I know.

R.W.Dale
August 19, 2008, 03:09 PM
The best way to get a Savage action is to buy a used savage or a new stevens 200 for less than $300 then sell the original bbl and stock and make back $100 of that. That's what I've done in three cases.

If you enjoyed reading about "Howa Barreled Action" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!