.31 calibre

PDA

pierre bouchard
August 19, 2008, 07:52 PM
Do someone know how to load the Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo Model Black Powder Revolver 31 Caliber 4" Blue Barrel ? There is no loading lever.

If you enjoyed reading about ".31 calibre" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
August 19, 2008, 08:34 PM
You remove the barrel, and use the muzzle end of the cylinder arbor to push the ball in. The cylinder arbor is machined to be concave to use as a plunger. It's awkward, yes ... but it works.
I have one such revolver, so I know a tad about it.;)

Voodoochile
August 19, 2008, 08:43 PM
Ah that is fairly easy but it takes a little more patience & finesse.

To load one of these fine pieces:
(1) You have to move the barrel wedge out far enough to remove the barrel.
(2) Slide the barrel away from the rest of the weapon.
(3) Then place the hammer to half cock so to remove the cylinder from the frame.
(4) Place the cylinder on a wood block or other non marring surface with the chambers pointed up.
(5) Pour your measured amount of powder into a chamber.
(6) Place a Lead Ball over the chamber that you just loaded the powder into.
(7) Use the Arbor or cylinder pin on the frame of the weapon to push the ball home into the chamber.
(8) Repeat for the remaining chambers to be loaded.
(9) Reassemble the weapon, cylinder first onto the frame on the Arbor, then the barrel aligning the alignment pins to the adjacent holes in the barrel, then the wedge is pushed into the barrel to lock the weapon together.
(10) Place a percussion cap on each or the loaded chambers.

You are ready to fire. :D

Smokin_Gun
August 19, 2008, 11:02 PM
How do you get the ball seated down in the chamber? is the Arbor smaller in diameter than .31 cal chamber? I don't have one that's why I am askin'.
I remember a a tiny kinda ram rod of brass that came with some small colt. Maybe I'm thinkin' of the Snubnose .36 1862 police.

SG

6Gun4Fun
August 20, 2008, 01:21 AM
My loading tool is set up to load the Wells Fargo and 49 Pocket, amongst others.....

Smokin_Gun
August 20, 2008, 02:04 AM
My loading tool is set up to load the Wells Fargo and 49 Pocket, amongst others...

6Gun4Fun I don't think Pierre knows of your loading tool. I think also he wants to know how to load it in the field... make some mini Ram rods(Pocket size) of brass for these types of Revs.

SG

DrLaw
August 20, 2008, 08:42 AM
The above answers are correct on how to load it.

Yes, the cylinder pin is smaller than the chamber diameter.

Also, you can make a loading tool that would be similar to the larger caliber loading tools. Requires a block of wood and three metal pieces. One for the upright piece, one for the handle which would attach and pivot to the upright piece slightly higher than the cylinder would be when stood upright on the wood block base, and a shorter one, which would be the actual ram portion, which would attach to the handle and pivot to the handle.

I have to do that one of these days. :rolleyes:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/DrLaw45/UbertiWellsFargo.jpg

The Doc is out now. :cool:

6Gun4Fun
August 20, 2008, 09:44 AM
You would hardly recognize the production model from the prototype I previously displayed here. The production model loads Colts, Remingtons, and the Ruger Old Army. from .31 caliber to .45 caliber, round balls or conicals. I can switch from loading .31 to .45 in less then 20 seconds without the use of tools. Oh yes, not to mention the fact that my loader can also be used to cut wads with the optional wad cutting attachment.

Smokin_Gun
August 20, 2008, 12:05 PM
6Gun4Fun is it this one?

http://i35.tinypic.com/29zeamv.jpg

SG

DrLaw
August 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
Now THAT is a nice loader.

The Doc is out now.:cool:

6Gun4Fun
August 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
Nope, that's the one that's made by powder inc. I've read on other message boards that it has a tendency to bind up.

Smokin_Gun
August 20, 2008, 12:18 PM
Powder Inc is out of them at $63.xx, and BigLube Bullets is out at $79.xx
Would you post me a pic of your New improved loader and a price quote?
Beat that lower price?

Thanks,

SG

6Gun4Fun
August 20, 2008, 12:29 PM
I've considered how I should market the tool. There would be a deluxe model that would include 3 arbors, 3 ramming ends, and 3 wad cutters and a funnel. Of course this wouldn't appeal to everyone, so I'll let the consumer decide if they want the wad cutters at an additional charge. The loading unit its self will have the provisions for the wad cutting attachments should the consumer opt to upgrade in the future. The base model will have 3 arbors and 3 ramming ends and a funnel. I'm afraid to post a link for fear of being banned, happened to me on another site.

mec
August 20, 2008, 02:32 PM
It's really kind of fun and fairly fast-particularly if you hold the cylinder in your hand (otherwise it skitters away) and completely load one chamber at a time before moving to the next
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40321&stc=1&d=1148409748

I'd heard that original Pocket models without levers had the end of the arbor coned for conical bullets so, I did the same with this Uberti.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83356&stc=1&d=1219256997

Playing with bullets from original mould.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40322&stc=1&d=1148409599

DrLaw
August 20, 2008, 03:18 PM
Mike, those holes look like the bullets were keyholing into the target. How about it? Too little powder?

mec
August 20, 2008, 03:33 PM
combination of loose target and the slit-like signatures of the sharp bullets. They seem to hit point on. Pretty low velocity as that was all the powder I could stuff in under them.
Here's a more rigid target setup:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53925&stc=1&d=1172448698

pierre bouchard
August 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
Thank you guys for those precious tips!

DrLaw
August 20, 2008, 10:28 PM
Yep, that second target definately is a bullet that has not keyholed.

Smokin_Gun
August 20, 2008, 11:05 PM
Great pics Mec and Tutorial as usual...

Thanks for Posting them,

SG

If you enjoyed reading about ".31 calibre" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!