Discreet Shipping Poll

PDA

FranklyTodd
August 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
Am I the only one that hates ordering a holster (or any gun item) and having the packaging broadcast its contents to the mailman and nosy neighbors. :fire:

A holster I ordered came the other day and in about 47 font it says HOLSTER FOR CONCEALED CARRY, or something like that. :banghead:

I take the "concealed" part of CCW very seriously, and by splashing that all over the package, I feel my ability to control who knows I carry a gun was compromised. :barf:

If I order from them again, I will have it shipped somewhere other than my home.

Anyone else share this little pet peeve?

If you enjoyed reading about "Discreet Shipping Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartkowski
August 19, 2008, 11:44 PM
I don't really care. I am not worried about the mailman and and my neighboors wouldn't be able to see the package. And even if they did, they wouldn't think much of it.

Pat Cannon
August 20, 2008, 12:29 AM
I'm OK with the mailman and neighbors seeing that stuff, but then I've got nice neighbors.

This whole issue reminds me of when I got my first handgun. It was very much over the protests of my wife. After I didn't accept "You can't have a gun in this house", her second position was "I don't want the kids to know about it." I agreed to that for the time being (we're past that now of course). No big deal for now, I figured, I was buying ammo by mail, but, the kids don't know what "ORM-D" means.

Then I ordered a gun lockbox for the bedroom. It showed up in a package that said, in great big heavy black lettering: "GUN BOX". Oops.

the naked prophet
August 21, 2008, 01:57 PM
When I ship a holster, it doesn't say anywhere on the box or label anything about a gun. The closest to that it says is "Kellogg Custom Leather" and I've had people ask me if I do Italian leather gloves, car upholstery, wallets, belts, purses, etc. Very seldom does anybody assume that it's gun holsters.

highorder
August 21, 2008, 02:11 PM
I got a case of ammo delivered to work from AIM.

In addition the the ORM-D sticker, the side of the case had a big BROWN BEAR AMMUNITION sticker on it...

I could have done without that.

K-Man
August 21, 2008, 07:38 PM
We often ship to a customer's business/job address. We believe that discretion is of great importance and use our main business name on the return address. There's nothing on the external packaging/address label to indicate in any way what the contents are.

JesseL
August 25, 2008, 06:34 PM
I don't worry about it, but I have a cartridge collection on my desk at work and I'm not averse to open carry.

The Lone Haranguer
August 26, 2008, 12:16 AM
I've never had this happen with holsters. :confused: They always arrive in a plain box with, at most, the company name (e.g., XXX Holsters) in small letters on the return address, no logos or other embellishments.

Larry E
August 27, 2008, 08:19 PM
Never had this happen from anyone shipping me a firearms related item. If the UPS or letter carrier knows that Brownells, Midway, Midsouth (MSS is what they have for their return address name), or others are shooting supply houses they likely don't care. Otherwise they likely don't know, and in Montana don't care. One thing that's sort of a giveaway is an order of bullets, but I've had other stuff come in small heavy boxes.

Seems sort of stupid to label a box as to its contents no matter what they are though. Ain't anyone's business but the shipper and receiver.

If you enjoyed reading about "Discreet Shipping Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!