Help with picking some bullets...

PDA

bragood
August 20, 2008, 01:15 AM
Ok I like to shoot a lot and was planning on mass loading maybe 1000 rounds of 38 spl and 45 acp so that when I want to shoot I wont have to load up as much. Anyone have any recommendations on inexpensive reloading bullets that will fit this criteria? Mainly want them to be reasonable on the wallet but at the same shoot fairly well.
Ive had some experience with rainier bullets and they shoot really well in my 45 and the same with my smith 38. One thing I was considering loading is some inexpensive cast bullets in my 38 but at a loss of what to use for my 45. Will cast bullets operate in a 45? I mean Im sure they will but are they efficient? Anyone have any experience?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with picking some bullets..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jim147
August 20, 2008, 11:17 AM
I only shoot my own cast bullets in my 45 as do a lot of people. Just about any reloading supply will have cast bullets for both calibers.

What kind of 45 do you have? Some brands or models don't like some bullet designs.

bragood
August 20, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have a sprinfield 1911. I have to admit that I dont know a lot about cast bullets.

rcmodel
August 20, 2008, 01:14 PM
All you need to know is if your gun will feed 185 / 200 grain wadcutters or not.

If not, get 230 LRN that duplicate the GI FMJ shape.
If it works with anything, it will work with them.

rcmodel

TX1911fan
August 20, 2008, 04:45 PM
I bought 1000 round nose flat point bulles from Missouri Bullet Company. They were pretty cheap (at least I thought so) and they work great out of my 1911s.

http://www.missouribullet.com/shop/details.php?prodId=78&category=&secondary=13&keywords=

For $5 more per 500, you can get 230 grain round nose. I don't know why I picked the flat point, but they work just fine.

http://www.missouribullet.com/shop/details.php?prodId=59&category=&secondary=13&keywords=

hddeluxe
August 20, 2008, 08:00 PM
If you prefer FMJ over lead, then I would recommend Roze Distributing Co and their Zero bullets. I have loaded and shot literally thousands of their bullets from my 5 different .45s and 3 .357Mag/.38Spl pistols without a problem. They are some of the cheapest I could find and the prices include shipping which is done by Priority Mail.

www.rozedist.com

Lookn4Brass
August 20, 2008, 08:35 PM
Good question. I pretty much agree with the other guys. Seems that in my gun circle of guys back home, most of us have found that the 158 gr. lead semi-wadcutter in medium velocity is the best all-around for accuracy and recoil compromise - even with small snubbies. As for the .45 acp, I have used the 200 gr. lead semi-wadcutter in lots of different .45's and they work well. Bullseye or Winchester 231 gunpowder works very well with them, and will work great in the 38/357 too.

RustyFN
August 20, 2008, 09:06 PM
I only shoot my own cast bullets in my 45 as do a lot of people. Just about any reloading supply will have cast bullets for both calibers.
I'm like Jim as I only shoot my own cast in my 45. I would look into buying cast bullets for your 38 and 45. Some of the better ones I have heard of are mastercast.
Rusty

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with picking some bullets..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!