Eaa Witness 45acp Why?

PDA

ge0624me
August 22, 2008, 11:49 AM
Why is'nt the very low priced, eaa witness tangfolio 45acp more popular, i see it for $331.00 at bud's gun shop right now, and i see it at the gun shows it runs for about, $400.00+-,, i find it strange for a full size all steel 45acp, double stack pistol that is reliable as the best of them, but for some reason it doesnt get any respect like the c/z's, 1911's, glocks,etc...etc...i do own one have never had a failure with it, i also own c/z's have never had failures with them as well, ....but the market value and demand of the witness is very low for such a nice pistol...

If you enjoyed reading about "Eaa Witness 45acp Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hags
August 22, 2008, 11:55 AM
Europeon Amercian Armory, that's why.

I don't see alot of CZ fanfare locally and nobody knows that EAA exists.

schmeky
August 22, 2008, 12:10 PM
ge0624me,

That's a good question. I think the Witness line represents an outstanding value in pistols. They suffer from 3 things, IMHO:

1) Lack of marketing, but the marketing expense would raise the price
2) People don't seem to relate well to the "Tanfoglio" name
3) Low price = low quality perception (which is not accurate)

NGIB
August 22, 2008, 12:28 PM
Bad reports about EAA customer service doesn't help either. I've owned a number of Witness pistols and my only complaint is that they are very picky about magazines.

I had two full-size .40s, both the old frame style, and if you swapped the mags you'd have problems with the slide locking back. Lack of aftermarket stuff is also a drawback...

Don357
August 23, 2008, 02:16 AM
"That's a good question. I think the Witness line represents an outstanding value in pistols. They suffer from 3 things, IMHO:

1) Lack of marketing, but the marketing expense would raise the price
2) People don't seem to relate well to the "Tanfoglio" name
3) Low price = low quality perception (which is not accurate) "
originally posted by Schmeky

+1, I own a Witness P compact .45 and love it. I plan to get a full size all metal .45. The Witness pistols are built on the same design as the CZ's, Baby Eagles, Jerico's, Armalite, and a couple of others which I can't remember right now, and are highly competitive in European IDPA and IPSC matches, even giving 1911's a hard run for the purse. I guess to know them is to love them!

SAS Mayhem
August 23, 2008, 02:53 AM
.45 All steel full size Witness, by far the best gun I've owned. No drama at all, it can still out shot me. And it was not a picky eater at all. I got mine from reedsammo. Best bang for buck out there. IMHO

Go here for my first time review.
http://czechpistols82792.yuku.com/topic/8287/t/Back-from-the-range-with-my-45-Wittness.html

Also you can get a .22 coversion kit for her to to save on the cost of .45 ammo.

loop
August 23, 2008, 06:35 AM
I bought one of the all-steel, full-sized .45s for $300 at a show. I tried it at an IDPA match and it replaced my Kimber that had been my match gun for more than 10 years after I used it in a match one time.

Within a few months I had three Tanfoglios in .45. Then I ordered an Elite Match in .45. I now shoot the Elite Match in IDPA. I win about 90 percent of my matches.

I've never had a glitch with any of them and the compact poly that is always under the seat of my truck may be the most accurate .45 I've ever owned. At 10 yards when I'm having a good day the groups are dead center and about 1/2 inch center to center.

Even when I'm having a bad day the Elite Match groups an inch.

There are a lot of upgrade parts available. Check out Henning's site: http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/main.html

I have his front sight, firing pin, aluminum grips, mag base pads and a number of other parts on my Elite Match.

wally
August 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
Why? Because the EAA Witness Elite Match 45 is what the CZ97 should have been.

Why not? EAA customer services consists of send the gun back at your expense and maybe we'll fix it under our one year warranty.

They fixed my 10mm Compact very fast, 7 days door to door round trip, but since it was a cracked slide and the gun is made for interchangeable uppers I should have only needed to send the slide back which would have been very cheap since the upper is not a gun, compared to the way the "Common Carriers" rip you off when shipping a handgun back for repairs. S&W pays the shipping back to them.

For the ~$100 extra the Elite Match costs above the standard its the one to get. I only recommend the Witness pistols in .45ACP as I've had magazine issues with the 9mm, .40S&W, & 10mm guns. They've all been resolved, and its not so annoying on an inexpensive pistol, but only the .45ACP would I bet on working 100% out of the box.

--wally.

Don357
August 23, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure if the site is still acitve, but I got some good information about Witness pistols on, www.savvysurvivor.com. Go to the "gear review" section and there is a super article with some gunsmithing tips too. The last time I went to it, it was still there, but I didn't receive an answer to an E-mail I sent.

Disaster
August 23, 2008, 10:02 PM
The least expensive all steel EAA I see at Bud's is $384.

neviander
August 23, 2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks to all of the great input I got from guys here on THR, I now own, what I believe to be, a fantastic, tack driving, bargain of a gun. .45 acp
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll158/neviander/CIMG3287.jpg

ultramag44
August 24, 2008, 12:20 AM
My .45 Elite Match goes out for its first outing tomorrow. I will post pictures.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/100_0853.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/100_0856.jpg

ge0624me
August 24, 2008, 01:23 AM
i knew i wasnt going crazy, in thinking the eaa 45 acp, was a damn good bang for your hard earned buck, it's like the dollar menu and being very satisfied with what you bought and ate,...the 45 elite match with the stainless frame& the black upper slides are awesome, dont know if your into the fringergrip thing on the front strap but i just added some hogue wraparound grips with fingergrooves on my eea witness 45,i had to trim them a little from the back to fit right but ,they really make a difference...

loop
August 24, 2008, 05:59 AM
Best buy on the market today.

I'd buy another if I did not already plan on a Tanfoglio Limited.

MachIVshooter
August 24, 2008, 09:48 PM
Love mine. Both in 10mm.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/WitnessLimited10mm.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Witness.jpg

My little sister has a Match model in 10mm that is her competition piece, as is my buddy's EM in .40 S&W.

I really don't know anyone who's been disappointed with a Witness. Just with the importer (though they're getting better these days).

brian923
August 24, 2008, 09:54 PM
i was looking at these and gave them a very BIG look. i just couldnt find anyone with one for sale around hear, and the gun shops around here wernt willing to look for one. so i got the then new 21 sf, glock 45 acp. (which is still pretty new) havent shot it that much, but it seems like a good gun.

SureThing
August 24, 2008, 11:36 PM
Are the mag issues because they use the large frame, trying to shoot a 9mm in a 45 frame, with mags that have a spacer at the rear?

wingman
August 24, 2008, 11:47 PM
I recently purchased the 45acp match, super accurate has the feel of my CZ75B only heavier that's a good thing with the 45acp very little felt recoil.

I've had a bad exerience in the past with EAA service so I would pay and use
a good smith rather then return to EAA but the match appears so well built
doubt I will have any problems.

ultramag44
August 24, 2008, 11:53 PM
NGIBsaid: I've owned a number of Witness pistols and my only complaint is that they are very picky about magazines.
I had two full-size .40s, both the old frame style, and if you swapped the mags you'd have problems with the slide locking back.

OK, first outing w/ the .45 Witness Elite. Kept spitting the mags! The factory supplied one, and the second Factory mag I bought.

Gun is very accurate though. Going back to dealer on Tuesday. He has, or @ least had another one on Saturday at 3 PM.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/100_0858.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/100_0853.jpg

SureThing
August 25, 2008, 12:01 AM
What do you mean kept spitting the mags? Dropping them out?

tunnug
August 25, 2008, 12:08 AM
I own three, gave my fourth one to my son as a graduation present.
they are great guns for the money and the ergonomics are awsome, everyone that handles one can't believe how good they feel in the hand, I also have three different slide assemblies that fit my last purchase for four different calibers in one gun.

ultramag44
August 25, 2008, 12:20 AM
What do you mean kept spitting the mags? Dropping them out?

Yep, exactly. Would lock in, then drop while shooting!

SureThing
August 25, 2008, 12:22 AM
That is odd.

Is that a mag issue, mag release issue, or a user issue?

ultramag44
August 25, 2008, 12:28 AM
Since it does it w/ two different mags, I tend to think it's a mag release/mag lock issue.

Not user issue. Just to be sure, I had Dr Bisbee shoot it (best off-hand pistol shot in town) still spit out mags.

AND just in case it was my hand loads, I bought a box of factory ammo (S&B for $19.20! call the rape crisis center :eek:).

Still dropped mags during shooting.

SureThing
August 25, 2008, 12:34 AM
Keep us posted.

Can you pull the mag out by hand once it is in with out pressing the button.

Anything look odd inside the grip?

ultramag44
August 25, 2008, 12:47 AM
Yes! I found if I moved the mag back & forth once it was locked in..it would release.

I dis-assembled the pistol. The latch protrusion does seem minimal (but I don't know how large it should be).

I also dis-assembled my hi-cap 9mm, the latch on it works fine, and seems about the same? :confused:

BOOM-BOOM
January 26, 2009, 07:35 PM
OMG.... that Witness Match 45.....OMG....I WANT ONE:rolleyes:

saturno_v
January 26, 2009, 07:56 PM
Why not more popular??

Simpe: non-existent Customer Service and poor quality control.

The pistols are beautiful but you can easily get the lemon with jammings and magazine glitches that become a nightmare and EAA is not very supportive, the only company that I know that make you pay the shipping back. Talking with their gunsmith is a challenge.

I traded my brand new Witness 10 mm for a long barrel S&W 29 44 Mag revolver and never looked back. Good riddance.

If they get their act together I may reconsider them in the future. They should learn a thing of two from Kel-Tec, Bersa or even Hi-Point Customer Service.

If you decide to buy a new Witness, do it with the mental attitude that you are buying a used gun and you are pretty much on your own in case of problems.

Unbelievalbe that Tanfoglio relies on a joke of a company like EAA for their US operation (the most important firearm market in the world)

If you enjoyed reading about "Eaa Witness 45acp Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!