45-70

PDA

bigbadgun
August 22, 2008, 04:50 PM
I have 11 45-70 shells brass only and no need for them oh what ever am I gonna do:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "45-70" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
August 22, 2008, 04:53 PM
buy a sharps load them and invite me.

;)

scrat
August 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
heck id like to load them just to see how long and good they look.

bigbadgun
August 22, 2008, 04:59 PM
I want a Sharps so bad I cant see straight but hell I cant afford one right now.

scrat
August 22, 2008, 05:18 PM
ya thats kinda like my delema. but you have the brass. man i say load them up and keep them. your goal would be to be able to shoot them some day.

sundance44s
August 22, 2008, 05:22 PM
One thing about brass ..it won`t hurt it saveing it ..if it turns dull a few mins in a case tumbler and like new again .

scrat
August 22, 2008, 05:56 PM
agreed

MMCSRET
August 22, 2008, 06:45 PM
Keep them!! they do not have to be fed or refrigerated.

bigbadgun
August 22, 2008, 06:57 PM
ok y'all talked me into it.
Who knows might win the lotto tonight

Floppy_D
August 22, 2008, 07:09 PM
I save brass for calibers I plan on having. 45-70 is tough to come by as a range pickup. Bag it and keep it. :)

gizamo
August 22, 2008, 07:19 PM
Think I'm going to hate myself in the morning over this one...

KTP (Kittery Trading Post) here in Maine has a 45/70 Sharps Sporter by Pedersoli in the used gun rack. Think they were asking $ 800 for it. I examined the gun and felt it was near mint. Has the checkered stock and nice wood.....It has the standard sights on it, but I can tell someone had a elevator mounted. The front sight is the stock hunting sight, but you can drift it out and replace it with a Pedersoli windage adjustable. Add the Soule sights when you can.....It is the Octogon Barrel.

And they have a online site, and ship to your FFL...

OK, there ~ that's done. If it is there next Thurs. when I drive thru the area, it will be mine:p

Giz

scrat
August 22, 2008, 07:28 PM
yep for some reason or another were getting pretty jealous of you GIZAMO. PRETTY JEALOUS

gizamo
August 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
scrat...

I'm thinking you should have this one. I kid you not. It is a nice gun, and in a 1874 45/70 to boot. If I were to show a pic of the closest Sharps I own to it's configuration, it would be a 1863. The guns are similiar, except mine is a percussion paper cartridge gun.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/Gizamo1/1863001.jpg

Face it scrat, you need this gun....:evil:

Or you could hold out for a Quigley Model....

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/Gizamo1/NewPicssharps002-1.jpg

giz

scrat
August 22, 2008, 07:55 PM
nope i want a cartridge in either 45-90 or 45-110. Yep i know it would be rather expensive on the loading side. But then im not lookin on starting a war or anything. i would really love to get a hold of a good sharps and start some long range shooting. As it is im the guy at the range for 3-6 hours at a time. i dont rush things. it would be nice to sit back and relax with this and see what i can do. However though if you want to send that to me or let me borrow it for what i guess legal terms would be less than 30 days. Well then im ok with that. i can keep it here for 29.5days then send it back.

gizamo
August 22, 2008, 08:03 PM
That last one I posted is a 45/90....

You can download it to a 45/70 loading, but with the BP there is really no need. I would agree, the 45/90 is the one to have.

Spending the time reloading for it is half the fun. We are spoiled these days with smokeless powders. I had to relearn to load all over again ~ just to support this gun. And the truth be told, I learned for the first time what it means to reload accurately. I have never used drop powder tubes, indexed my lubrisizers, or brass. So now I am once again a newbie, after 25 plus years of reloading ~ and loving every minute of it....

20 to 40 rounds of 45/90, with proper care of the gun, takes a couple of hours to shoot at long range. Loading that many rounds takes very little time, even when doing so with an eye to detail.....

So Scrat, my Amigo....'
Your in for a treat...........

Besides, nothing stops everyone shooting at a line, then hauling out a Sharps...Be prepared to spend at least an hour explaning to the crowd about the gun....LOL

Giz

If you enjoyed reading about "45-70" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!