Remington 870 Police versus Mossberg 590A1

PDA

frogger42
August 24, 2008, 05:20 AM
I am in the market for a home defense shotgun. I want a good, high quality pump action 12 gauge and I have it narrowed down to one of these two. Can anyone tell me what they like or don't like about either of these.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Remington simply because of the selection of accessories, but my mind is not made up and I want to hear what guys think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 Police versus Mossberg 590A1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgkdrgn
August 24, 2008, 08:02 AM
IMHO, when you are down to those two:
1) whats on sale
2) flip a coin
3) which one do you "like" (don't care about the reason) better?
I happen to "like" the Remington ... but then I have two 870 that I've had for ... what, 35 years?
You can't go wrong with either choice.

357wheelgunner
August 24, 2008, 08:08 AM
I have an 870 Police that I've thoroughly abused. It still doesn't feel broken in after 3 cases of birdshot and a couple hundred slugs and buckshot rounds.

I don't like the feel of the Mossberg, the balance or something is just off. They did locate the safety properly though. It also comes with everything I want (ghost ring sights and an extended magazine) for less money.

The only accessory you're really going to need, if you buy the gun setup properly from the beginning, is lots of ammunition. I didn't know what I wanted when I bought my 870P, so I'm now in the process of adding tritium sights, a stickier (synthetic) stock, and a surefire forend. They make the same accessories for both shotguns, really.

Hold both and buy the one you like the most.

mtngunr
August 24, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm biased and think the Mossberg design cheaply/crudely made and rinkydink compared to an 870P....be sure to compare apples to apples, top-o'-the-line 590A1 vs. 870P (or Wingmaster), and NOT the Express-line (Tac/HD/Marine)....for unbiased comparison, try...
http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/content_nonsub/shotguns/compare_870_590.html

My 18"Cyl 870P remains bone stock, aside from DuraCoat paint over the parkerize and Speedfeed stock....didn't care for the extra weight of extended mag tube slowing down what was a lively gun....shoots any good #00 load with patterns that rival VangComp posted pics...mid-'90's gun that's been hammered and just is slicker than ever....

LoadedDrum
August 24, 2008, 10:17 AM
I am an 870 guy myself, having an 870P and a 870 Sportsman. That said the thing I like about the Mossbert is that there is no need for a stupid mag extension clamp. It makes take down much simpler. On the other hand if you want an SBS, the 870 is easier to convert in that regard.

MAKster
August 24, 2008, 02:41 PM
Some 870P fans are upset because Remington is now using a plastic trigger guard on the Police models. The metal trigger guard was always touted as one of the reasons the Police models were better than the Express HD.

Shawn Dodson
August 24, 2008, 06:30 PM
If you desire to fit your shotgun with a full stock/pistol grip (FS/PG), get the 870.

The location of the manual safety on the 590 (top, rear of the receiver) doesn't work well with the FS/PG.

Either one will serve you well.

Rshooter
August 24, 2008, 08:29 PM
Do you want to shoot boxes of rounds and then have your grandkid sell it for what you paid for it?......buy the 870P. Otherwise the 590A1 is an excellent gun.

jakemccoy
August 25, 2008, 12:32 AM
I like the Rem 870. Mossberg was the first shotgun I ever fired. The same day, I bought an 870 Wingmaster at a local store because it fit me better.

McKnife
August 25, 2008, 02:09 AM
MOSSBERG WINS!

Yay, I love happy endings!:evil::neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 Police versus Mossberg 590A1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!