Maverik / Mossberg Choke Tube Wrench

PDA

WyrTwister
August 24, 2008, 05:41 AM
Just bought a 12 guage Maverick Model 88 with the modified , replaceable choke tube .

I was in a hurry to get it out of the box & check everything out .

Ended up using a penny to remove the choke tube , it was kind of loose . Re-installed it with the penny and a pair of pliers . I figured that new pennies are copper plate over zinc ( I think ) , there was no way it could damage steel ?

I latter found the steel tool in the box , that was designed for this purpose . If I need to remove the choke tube , in the future , I will probably use the penny & pliers .

Does anyone make a special anti-seize lube for the threads ? Is that needed ?

God bless
Wyr

If you enjoyed reading about "Maverik / Mossberg Choke Tube Wrench" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Virginian
August 24, 2008, 07:09 AM
I always put nickel Never-Seez on all my choke tube threads. Cheap insurance. Also pretty viscous so if a choke tube does start to back out, all but the brain dead will have plenty of time to notice before real trouble begins. Do not get it on any clothing you care about, as this stuff is forever like a lot of things wish they were.

chas08
August 24, 2008, 07:34 AM
I latter found the steel tool in the box , that was designed for this purpose .

Use the tool, it wont hurt the choke or the gun, if used properly. I too, use nickle never seize. It works great. Don't over tighten the choke. More are ruined by over tightening than anything else. They just have to be "snug", not "plumbing pipe tight". :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Maverik / Mossberg Choke Tube Wrench" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!