Dumbest product ever

PDA

divemedic
August 24, 2008, 10:11 AM
While I was at work yesterday, my wife was visiting some relatives who are in town, and staying at a local time share. While at the pool, she saw a guy rin into the pool area, waving something similar to this thing (http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Pointer-Pistol-Lighter-Torch/dp/B000ZFGE6Y) at everyone in the pool.

It is a laser pointer that looks like a gun. Who comes up with ideas like this? If an armed person saw this in poor lighting (maybe even in good lighting), there is a good chance that the person with it could get shot, especially considering that the thing is a laser pointer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumbest product ever" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
August 24, 2008, 10:33 AM
And what idiot would buy one in the first place and for what reason? Besides the one in your story. I'm suprised he didn't get shot or clubbed as it is...

Vermont
August 24, 2008, 10:38 AM
The product isn't necessarily terrible. If used responsibly it could be useful. It's like an ergonomic laser pointer. But yeah, there are people out there who are going to do stupid stuff with it.

I don't think realistic toy guns are stupid as long as the people using them are responsible and know that it could get mistaken for a real gun.

1 old 0311
August 24, 2008, 10:52 AM
There use to be a motorcycle cop who would park his bike on the street, in front of a truck, and jump out pointing his radar gun at cars that came by. First time I saw this I FREAKED!!!!!!!!! :what::what:

BruceRDucer
August 24, 2008, 12:12 PM
Well...after all...people who think like that, in their blind stupidity, aren't really "thinking" at all. Somebody could do them a favor and smack'em around some. Oh, but wait, that isn't politically correct.:what::eek::p

elrod
August 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
Anything, literally anything to try to make a buck! What does this thing do that a regular pen-type laser pointer or a zippo lighter cannot? Getting the user shot is all I can think of.:confused:

esmith
August 24, 2008, 12:43 PM
That's a kid's toy. That's what it's meant for. Kid sees, "Oh wow it looks just like a gun and shoots lasers out of it!" Then begs mom to get it for him.

Tommygunn
August 24, 2008, 01:06 PM
If that's the "Dumbest product ever" then what about all the thousands of toy guns that have been made for the last century, some of which have been quite realistic -- especially before the govt. decreed the muzzles must be dayglo orange.
When I was a kid I had several Mattel revolvers and a 1911 that were very realistic and fired plastic bullets. I inherited one of my cousin's toy revolvers which was even older and had a spinning cylinder.
Yeah, that lighter laser could be used stupidly. So could those childhood toy guns I had.

Deus Machina
August 24, 2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah, but no one's expecting someone to pull out a toy gun to point a laser at something or light a cigarette, possibly in public.

It's pretty safe to assume that kids pointing revolvers at each other and yelling 'bang bang', they're toys, but look what happens when they decide Officer Bill might want to join in.

Hutch
August 24, 2008, 01:35 PM
That's maybe good for honorable mention, no more. Y'all remember the DNA gathering brush a (presumably female) assault victim is supposed to hit the attacker with to make sure there's evidence to be used against (presumably) him? I'll go find the ref and be back...

Curses! Can't find it. Maybe someone with stronger Google-fu can dredge that up. No kidding, it was the effective equivalent of grill brush. Victim swipes the attacker, gathering skin and presumably blood in the bristles. I guess nobody thought about what the attacker's reaction might be.

hotshotshoting
August 24, 2008, 02:53 PM
Darwinism anyone?

Funderb
August 24, 2008, 02:56 PM
I still vote for the solar power flashlight.

Drgong
August 24, 2008, 03:00 PM
reminds me of a 80's movie (perhaps Mr. Mom, or it might of been a early tom hanks film) where the main guy has a recurring nightmare of a women pulling out a pocket pistol at the cash register.

of course, this happens and she lights a Ciggerette with a lighter that looks like a pocket pistol.

Treo
August 24, 2008, 04:42 PM
I could see a use to practice sight alignment.

TallPine
August 24, 2008, 04:52 PM
I still vote for the solar power flashlight

Dehydrated water :p

Just add water and stir ;)

scrat
August 24, 2008, 04:56 PM
i think those are about as useless as those lighters

Reyn
August 24, 2008, 05:03 PM
Laser pointers are great if doing a presentation. If you have something in detail you are showing on slides or on a big screen you can do it from anywhere in the room. Especially if you are walking the room with a large audience.

Not one that looks like a gun though.

rcmodel
August 24, 2008, 05:12 PM
Darwinism anyone?You think thats bad?

How about hanging out a dorm window at a major university and shooting someone in the courtyard below with an air-soft rifle?

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/aug/20/freshman_jayhawk_basketball_player_gets_court_date/

After the V-Tec shooting, you would think even a blathering MOron would have better common sense then that by the time he got to college.

rcmodel

scrat
August 24, 2008, 05:20 PM
The dumbest product ever made was the metric left handed screwdriver.

See the link below

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=21

gaowlpoop
August 24, 2008, 05:21 PM
You need to go look at the reviews, and if possible post your own.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000ZFGE6Y/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

deaconkharma
August 25, 2008, 01:38 PM
Innerspace
Martin Short
Dennis Quaid

Short is a cashier and he is having a nervous breakdown due to the register going haywire because Dennis is EMP blasting the register. At some outlandishly high total amount owed, the lady makes a smart comment and pulls out a gun/lighter and lights a cigarrette.

ch1966
August 25, 2008, 03:29 PM
I have issues with camoflage.....

A. Baby/young childrens clothes
B. Wallets
C. Car keys (yes, theyre out there)

Sometimes, I dont understand what people are thinking.......

Feud
August 25, 2008, 03:36 PM
#7- The combination flashlight shotgun.

Terrible, terrible idea.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 25, 2008, 03:43 PM
Dehydrated water

Just add water and stir

Hey TallPine, put it on Ebay and I'll bet you get some bids! :)

3 gun
August 25, 2008, 03:51 PM
If this is the same one I've seen I think it's pretty safe to say no one should mistake it for a real gun. The "larger image" in the Amazon link is about 3x the true size of the thing.

The Lone Haranguer
August 25, 2008, 03:56 PM
How about the Nerf Pole Vault?

:p

moooose102
August 25, 2008, 04:08 PM
while it probably is not the dunbest product ever, the ********* using it needs to be hit in the head with a shovel! he is dumber than a box of retarded rocks.

pbearperry
August 25, 2008, 04:12 PM
Years ago boys played Cowboys and Indians,war or cops with toy guns.It was called make believe.Every boy I knew had them.Then something happened with kids.They started using them to commit robberies and rapes etc.Little girls played with dolls but now are having babies at ages 12-14.I guess times have changed but not for the better.

elChupacabra!
August 25, 2008, 04:20 PM
This is hilarious but I'm gonna throw an IBTL out there just in case ;)

rainbowbob
August 25, 2008, 05:51 PM
I could see a use to practice sight alignment.

I thought the same thing - and then it occurred to me to wonder why this thing is $7 and CT grips are $350?

Josh Aston
August 25, 2008, 06:00 PM
Because CT grips are built to withstand recoil and maintain zero.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumbest product ever" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!