Ithaca Model 51

PDA

Tower06
August 24, 2008, 10:41 AM
I picked up a BNIB Ithaca Model 51 (Built 1974) a little over a year a go and I just love the gun. I've had it out in the woods bird hunting, but the stock is too nice to wreck in the briar. Does anyone happen to know of a synthetic stock I could use on it? I know there is no commercially made synthetics for the Ithaca's , but perhaps a similar stock could be fitted? I contacted the new Ithaca company in Ohio and they could not help me presently since they have not started making any new Model 51's yet. Any help would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ithaca Model 51" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SwampWolf
August 24, 2008, 12:37 PM
I doubt you'll ever be able to locate a "beater" stock for your 51 anytime soon. I suggest using one of Beartooth's neophrene "Premium Firearm Covers" (Cabelas sells them) or its equivalent.

Tower06
August 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
I've seen wood stocks on ebay for about $50, I was hoping for synthetic. I appreciate the info about the neoprene covers. I'll give them a shot. Thanks.

mnrivrat
August 25, 2008, 01:04 AM
No synthetic stocks that I am aware of - the 51 is a good gun, but a bit prone to operating rod breakage. You don't want to know what it cost to replace it either - if you can even find one .

You should be able to find those wood stocks like you indicated on ebay, tc as more guns are being junked for parts because of the operating rods.

With a new gun you should get good service for a long time however - just enjoy it while it runs.

Tower06
August 25, 2008, 01:33 AM
I hear ya MN. I hoping Ithaca gets to producing the 51's again as they have the Model 37. That might make it a bit more affordable for those of us still maintaining the guns. I hope they also start making some synthetics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ithaca Model 51" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!