First ML rifle, which one? POLL

PDA

oneshooter
August 24, 2008, 06:28 PM
With so many coming to the board asking which rifle to buy? I have created a poll to answer thier question. Simple really, vote, and then tell WHY it should be the first ML rifle.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

If you enjoyed reading about "First ML rifle, which one? POLL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleDeuce 1
August 24, 2008, 07:02 PM
The TC Hawken gets my vote, partially because it was far better than what was available in the long rifle types at the time I started. Plus, the thing just appealed to me.

.38 Special
August 24, 2008, 10:21 PM
I'm one who voted for the percussion half stock, although a full stock is essentially the same. IMO, standard percussion rifles are the easiest to manage and are the rational place to start. The inlines are more complicated and difficult, despite the advertising, and the flintlocks, while wonderful, add a level of complexity that beginners may find discouraging.

arcticap
August 24, 2008, 11:58 PM
I agree. A percussion sidelock with a barrel that's not too long helps to make loading patched round balls and cleaning easier. Plus they're cheaper to feed, more relaxing to plink with and to just have a lot of pure shooting enjoyment. :)

Cosmoline
August 25, 2008, 12:09 AM
I've had enormous fun with traditional style percussion rifles shooting patched round ball. The process of loading is very easy once you figure it out, and there are fewere variables than shooting slugs. PRB is also vastly less expensive than sabots. If you can, get real black powder. FFG or FFFG as applicable. I'd also suggest going with a 1/62 twist barrel to maximize PRB accuracy.

DavidVanVorous
August 25, 2008, 12:25 AM
Im partial to the T/C Hawken (earlier without QLA framise is my preference but...). 1:48 is reasonable for short slugs and RB. The lifetime waranty is the best bar none and for folks wanting slower or faster twist, or different calibers its pretty much a drop n' swap. Sorta like the T/C contender.

D.

Mike128
August 25, 2008, 12:34 AM
If you want nostalgia get one of the Hawkens.

If you want to hunt get a inline. It is more waterproof, easier to clean, and quicker ignition. Just check your gamelaws first.

Of the inlines I would go with the Omega. Exceptionally easy to clean, accurate, and shorter overall length compared to rifles with a "bolt".

Smokin_Gun
August 25, 2008, 01:43 AM
I suggest you also pull out the DVD "The Mountain Men with Charleton Heston and Brian Keith. And Watch it befor you deside.;)
(Just finnished it myself)

SG

oneshooter
August 25, 2008, 07:21 PM
What do ya'll have again Matchlocks! Simple lock, simple to load, and as fast as a good flinter.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

.38 Special
August 25, 2008, 09:31 PM
It (an inline) is more waterproof, easier to clean, and quicker ignition.

That's the ad copy, anyway. I haven't personally found any of it to be true.

scrat
August 25, 2008, 09:33 PM
watch this

http://www.otsecure.net/bpimedia/bp101/bp101_types.html

black_powder_Rob
August 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
cool vid almost makes me want to go modern.:evil:

scrat
August 25, 2008, 10:06 PM
its not bad it will tell you what everyone else wont. people will tell you to buy tradtional but fail to tell you why. people will say buy inline but dont tell you why. so when you see something like this it explains to you each and every gun and helps you understand the differences. Then you can decide on your own. Bottom line if you are looking for a .50. then you can see the differences in the guns so that you can choose what you want. if your shooting at 100 yards or less you can make up your decision based on more facts. Remember a gun is only as good as the person pulling the trigger. being comfortable with what you have purchased and how you feel is equally important. you shouldnt ever buy a gun because people here on the net tell you what to buy or because of a poll. Watch the video. Watch more videos. go look at the guns and make a decision based on your needs and what you want to accomplish.

If you enjoyed reading about "First ML rifle, which one? POLL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!