double fowler stock

PDA

ajg6989
August 27, 2008, 01:09 AM
I have a 20g Double Fowler flintlock French style. I was looking at recreating it so I would have a shooter also. I was trying to find a stock maker who would make one off the orginal or with the dimensions.

If you enjoyed reading about "double fowler stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
August 27, 2008, 02:29 AM
It sounds like you'd want more than just having a stock duplicated. There's a lot of gun builders on the americanlongrifles board who are very capable builders and stock makers. Many of them study antique guns just for the purpose of duplicating them. You should ask over there on their gun building sub-forum, and you can also try asking on the muzzleloadingforum's gun building sub-forum since there are some long established builders there too.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

Here's my personal referral link to register over at the MLF which is free:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php?referral/4225/

ajg6989
August 27, 2008, 02:59 AM
pics

mykeal
August 27, 2008, 09:30 AM
Beautiful gun. I commend you for creating a clone to shoot.

Articap's advice is right on the mark. Good folks at both places - the cream of the society in this country.

StrawHat
August 28, 2008, 02:05 PM
From the photo, I can not tell but is there any reason you are not using it?

mykeal
August 28, 2008, 02:50 PM
From the photo, I can not tell but is there any reason you are not using it?

Yes. He wants to build a copy to shoot so as to not risk damage to the original. A laudable goal.

ajg6989
August 28, 2008, 03:29 PM
most of the screws are striped. The stock has been repaired several times. The locks are loose because some of the wood is missing behind them and joining screw is striped. The screws for the flints , the threads are striped out. Its a wall hanger.

StrawHat
August 29, 2008, 02:15 PM
ajg6989 most of the screws are striped. The stock has been repaired several times. The locks are loose because some of the wood is missing behind them and joining screw is striped. The screws for the flints , the threads are striped out. Its a wall hanger.

Much better answer, too many people retire a firearm merely because it is old.

If you need help locating parts, let me know. Can't help with the stock, at least not right now.

Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "double fowler stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!