Need info on correct 28-2 rear sight

PDA

Riss
August 27, 2008, 07:14 PM
Need to replace the rear sight on my 1960's 28-2 Highway Patrolman. Found a K,L,N rear sight assembly online. The rounded front type. CHEAP. What height sight blade do I need for a 6" barrel ? After looking at all of the blades they have the tallest .160" seems to ring a bell as being the right one. Does anyone have a breakdown of the blade heights ? Or can anyone verify that is the one I need. Its on clearance so I want to get it before its sold out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need info on correct 28-2 rear sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
420Stainless
August 27, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'm confused. Are you looking for a front sight blade, or an insert for the adjustable rear sight? Don't have a precision measuring instrument at home, but the front sight on my 6" 28-2 is a ramp with a rounded top and appears to be about 7mm high (0.275").

M57
August 27, 2008, 09:16 PM
The correct height is 1/8" .125 You can call S&W and purchase a new one complete with the screws.

Gator
August 27, 2008, 09:18 PM
Found a K,L,N rear sight assembly online. The rounded front type. CHEAP.

The S&W rear sight with the rounded front is made for the later drilled and tapped frames, it may not fit on your 28-2, and even if it does it won't look right. You need a rear sight with a square front.

420Stainless
August 27, 2008, 09:49 PM
Well. I learned something new. Thanks Gator.

Never heard of a rounded front, rear sight before and sure couldn't tell what that meant by looking at my 28-2.

Jim Watson
August 27, 2008, 10:25 PM
A proper Highway Patrolman rear sight is not serrated like most S&W adjustables, either.

Riss
August 27, 2008, 10:38 PM
Am I correct to assume that the rear sights fit all K,L,N frames. Assuming that I keep the same vintage of frame and sight. The 28-2 as a scope mounting block in the sight channel. Not sure of the spacing on the holes, but since they are not through holes I assume that they may be factory ???

Gator
August 27, 2008, 10:51 PM
Here's a quick pic I just took of the two different styles; old "square front" on the left. As Jim pointed out, the rear sight on the 28 had no serrations, it was smooth. You can put a serrated one on, but its not "correct" if you are interested in that. The old style was different for K and N fames, the new may be the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Galt38/SWrears.jpg

Riss
August 27, 2008, 10:58 PM
Yep, now I see. Will have to keep looking for a proper N frame rear sight. MAY change out the sight blade to shoot it but will keep all correct parts in the parts box.

isp2605
August 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
This is the factory rear site on my 6 inch 28-2.
Sorry, I can't help on the height. It seems my mic has grown legs and walked away. If I find it I'll let you know what mine measures.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/ispcapt/guns/28-2rear.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Need info on correct 28-2 rear sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!