How Much Do Gunsmths Charge?

PDA

azhunter122
August 27, 2008, 07:48 PM
I dropped my gun off today because the cylinder fell out and it needs new springs and screws inside. He said that he would also give it a detailed cleaning and inspect it. He is charging me $60 for all his work (1 hour) is this a good price?

If you enjoyed reading about "How Much Do Gunsmths Charge?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boredelmo
August 27, 2008, 08:06 PM
I haven't dealt with many gunsmiths, but I would be willing to pay that price for that kinda of work IF IT IS QUALITY WORK.

MMCSRET
August 27, 2008, 08:10 PM
$60.00 per hour is cheeeeeep. Talk to your auto dealer and see what he charges, or Caterpillar dealer or licensed electrician, or backhoe operator. $60.00 is cheep for skilled labor in any service field.

RoadkingLarry
August 27, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hopefully enough that he/she can make a decent and comfortable living doing it and therefore stay in business.

Bartkowski
August 27, 2008, 09:59 PM
Hopefully enough that he/she can make a decent and comfortable living doing it and therefore stay in business.

And not charge so much that he loses all business.

Gator
August 27, 2008, 10:03 PM
...the cylinder fell out...

:what: You don't hear that too often!

$60 sounds like a pretty good price for that much work. And remember, the usual gunsmithing hourly rate is doubled if the customer helps. ;)

Old Fuff
August 27, 2008, 10:03 PM
It's a little hard to say, without knowing what kind of a gun this is, and does the $60 also cover any replaced parts? If the cylinder fell out there might be some serious issues, or it might just be a missing screw.

If you enjoyed reading about "How Much Do Gunsmths Charge?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!