Mossberg 88 is Too Big

August 27, 2008, 11:31 PM
I have a Mossberg model 88 18" it is super heavy and super long, what can I do? Can I buy a new barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 88 is Too Big" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
August 27, 2008, 11:40 PM
Unless you decide to pay uncle sam, its not getting any shorter. Of course, you could shorten it to 16 inches and permanently attach a 2 inch brake/flash hider also. So, i think you should hit the gym.

August 27, 2008, 11:43 PM
Can I have it?
Honestly, if the 88 is too big for you at 18", then get a break-open. They're still effective weapons, and they'll actually work for you.
I know how it is to not be able to hold the gun up as long as I need to.
I just kinda got stronger.
You may not be able to, and I recommend a break open. They're usually cheap.

August 27, 2008, 11:50 PM
try a 20ga, the ones i have are a bit lighter than my 12ga even in the same model

Deer Hunter
August 27, 2008, 11:54 PM
Time for some PT.

August 28, 2008, 12:00 AM
Sorry, I meant the 28" NOT the 18"! lol I was feeling like I was just out of shape for a minute!

Deer Hunter
August 28, 2008, 12:02 AM
You still may be!

Is it too front-heavy? What are you using it for?

August 28, 2008, 12:08 AM
I was using it for clay pigeons the other day and got real tired of moving the thing all over the place to shoot.

Deer Hunter
August 28, 2008, 12:10 AM
You could get a shorter barrel, but it may be that you just need to get stronger in the shoulders, deltoid, and trap muscles.

August 28, 2008, 12:18 AM
If you find that you don't like a pump, try a break open.
I have a little NEF 20 gauge that is a very light, quick handling gun.

At one point I had a Mossberg 835 that I used for hunting.
It was kind of heavy to carry around all day and I found that everything I shot got shot three times whether it needed it or not. It went kind of like this:

Squirrel - (run, run, run...)
Me - BANG!
Squirrel - "Ooohhh, you got me..." (drawing his last breath)
Squirrel - (falls out of the tree after being weighted down with about three ounces of lead)

With a single barrel NEF 12 gauge I was just as effective and always brought some ammunition home besides. And the gun was much lighter to haul around all day.
IF I ever get another shotgun for hunting it will be a full length NEF 12 or 20 gauge single barrel.

August 28, 2008, 01:55 AM
We have a Moss500/Mav88 barrel in stock that is 16.25" with a KA-1212BR breaching attachment permanently installed to make a 18.25" OAL. We can also turn down your barrel if you'd like. We can remove the rib or blend the rib into a KA-1212 also. Here's a pic of a Rem870 barrel we did recently, we milled a notch into the brake to accept the rib then turned everything in the lathe for a smooth, clean appearance and fit.

Dave McCracken
August 28, 2008, 07:40 AM
A few practice mounts every day will help. Of course, ensure the thing is empty first.

You're using muscles in a new way. It takes a while to adapt like any other activity.

August 28, 2008, 11:02 AM
My Maverick 88 came with the 28" Mod choke barrel...great for general hunting duty, but waaaay to long and unwieldy inside the Mrs. Foggy pointed out the SECOND time I poked a hole in the wall while checking things out.

SO, it now sports the 18-1/2" cylinder bore barrel for HomeLand Security duty. Not that much lighter, but much handier inside the house.

August 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
An 18 1/2 " long gun is too long IMHO for more'n safe room duty IMHO. I'll "check things out" with a handgun. They're short and that's what they do well. I have 6 shotguns, hunt with all of 'em, have the little Spartan 20 gauge coach gun for safe room duties when it's not knockin' down doves or teal. I could just as easily use my 28" Winchester 1400 or Mossberg camo M500 for that, I reckon. If I have to leave the safe room (bedroom), I grab the .38. Of course, if I put my pants on, there's always a 9mm in the pocket loaded with 10+1 rounds of 115 grain +P. I carry that gun 24/7 when I ain't giving it a break for a .38 snubby. It's all in your tactics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 88 is Too Big" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!