Granny had a date with a .38....

PDA

Al Thompson
January 14, 2003, 10:13 AM
Took my 70 year old mother to the range yesterday and had a good time. Couple of notes for those working with older folks..

One, check your targets. Mom had a time seeing black sights on a black target. (Duh!) We used a lighter colored target and I would have preferred a Q type if the indoor range had some.

Distances - no need for 15 yard shots, if there is no distance in the house greater than 30 feet or so. We did the Dave McC thing and actually measured distances ad added a yard for GP. Mainly worked close in though.

Ammo - we used a 148 grain FMJ wadcutter. Hand fatigue is a factor and I wanted to minimumize that. She lasted most of a box (42 rounds). Duty load is the 158 LSWC HP, but POA/POI is close enough for practice.

Mom uses an inhaler. Interestingly, the inhalor has ephedrine (spelling?) and it makes her hands tremble. Despite this, she was able to work through the trembling and shoot a good score. Did her good to gain confidence despite her medical condition.

Ambiance - Shooter's in Augusta GA is a nice place to take someone. Good staff and clean, well lit showroom. I've been in a few ranges where the ambiance screamed "redneck" and vastly prefer some class.

We worked on some basics to get her up to speed and then double taps, firing from retention and single loading the revolver. We also worked on one handed firing and called it a day.

How'd she do? For 42 rounds fired, she missed the silhouette 4 times, stayed on paper with all of her shots. I can sleep easy knowing that if Mom has to (God forbid) she can defend herself.

If you enjoyed reading about "Granny had a date with a .38...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kahr carrier
January 15, 2003, 03:52 AM
Cool you might start a thrend -Take a Senior Citizen to the Range day. Heck Im all for it hope she had fun.:)

Lone Star
January 15, 2003, 08:18 AM
Is your mother an asthmatic? If she is using an "off the shelf" inhaler, it is probably too strong and too likely to induce jitters if used often. She should be under a doctor's care, and will probably be given a prescription for albuterol (Ventolin or Proventil or generic brands). This is more effective than ephedrine or epinephrine (sp?) in long term use, and less damaging to the heart. There are other inhalers, but those dispensing albuterol are now preferred over older ones that may prove more stressful to some hearts.

Additionally, she may need a steroid inhaler to reduce the degree of inflammation of the bronchial tubes when inhaling allergens. These can often prevent attacks; the albuterol is a "rescue" inhaler in case of an actual attack, and is often recommended for use every 4-6 hours, if the asthma is severe enough. Theophylline and other drugs may also be needed.

Unfortunately, I know far more about this than I wish I did. Asthma is a horrible burden to bear, but with correct medication, one can live a fairly normal lifestyle. Be aware that gunpowder fumes may well trigger an asthma attack in some persons.

By all means, insure that she is consulting with a doctor specializing in asthma and allergy. Please. Her life may be at risk.

Lone Star

Al Thompson
January 15, 2003, 08:40 AM
Lone Star, your concern is greatly appreciated. Mom nearly croaked a couple of years back due to a combination of a stomach virus and pneumonia. Scared the fool out of her and she quit her nearly 50 year smoking habit. She is working with a very good lung Doc and just received a clean bill of health - she should be off the inhalor soon, if not this week.

Old dogs can learn new tricks.

4v50 Gary
January 15, 2003, 09:12 PM
Teach her natural point shooting Al. No sights, point & shoot. Works great if she can't get her glasses on in time or there's a blackout. Good for confidence building too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Granny had a date with a .38...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!