Do any of you carry while running/biking?

PDA

harmonic
August 28, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm currently using a Sig tactical vest but my P239 isn't very secure. I don't want to use a belt holster, though, because of persperation.

What kind of rig do you use?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do any of you carry while running/biking?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgkdrgn
August 28, 2008, 11:29 AM
NAA BLackWidow in 22 Mag. Easy pocket carry, and I've seen neck lanyard holsters as well.

Stradawhovious
August 28, 2008, 11:34 AM
While biking, .38 snubbie in the saddle bag. Not terribly accessable, but at least it's there.

Animal Mother
August 28, 2008, 11:40 AM
I usually pocket carry a P3AT when I bike or jog in my neighborhood. There are some rather big and unfriendly dogs that sometimes get loose and roam.

shadowalker
August 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
I carry a Sig P229 in an IWB holster when I run. I haven't found sweat to be that big of a problem, but wipe it down with breakfree anyway.

I had an aggressive dog come 3/4's the way through a broken fence the other day.

AKCOP
August 28, 2008, 12:38 PM
Biking I carry in a camel back that has an extra pocket which works well,
usually a 2.5" mdl 66 but also carry a model 60 at times.
Have not yet figured out a comfortable way to carry while running.

Border
August 28, 2008, 12:41 PM
I have a fanny pack I actually got free for buying a new gun!

Ramius
August 28, 2008, 12:44 PM
I don't run, but I bike frequently and sometimes long distances.

Usually a Smith 4506 in a side bag. Yes, it's heavy and bulky. But when 25 miles from any type of help, it's nice to know it's there. (I've run accross the occassional bear and the all too common drunk while on the trail.)

Bwana John
August 28, 2008, 12:57 PM
I have a triangular bag that is mounted at the junction of the seat tube and top tube, it has a pad on the bottom. It is intended to be used as a pad for your shoulder when you have to carry your Mnt bike thru terrain you cant ride thru.

Its just big enough for a M-60, and is accessed very easily, you dont have to muck around trying to get to a bag mounted under the saddle. It is also somewhat protected in a crash. I did have to add some closed cell foam so the pistol wont knock aganst the frame when the trail is rough.

I like the "Wilderness Safepacker" holster for hiking (and shopping, and driving, and sleeping...) but its not so great for running.

Steve 48
August 28, 2008, 01:02 PM
I carry a P3AT or a NAA 22 cal for dogs who like to bite me. Steve48

weisse52
August 28, 2008, 01:08 PM
642 in a Tommy's fanny pack. I have done bike ride up to 105 miles using that fanny pack.(Last time with a Glock 19)

Great padding in the right places, secure and easy to access with either hand.

lazyeye
August 28, 2008, 01:10 PM
Biking I often OC, since I rarely wear actual bike shorts.

Running I carry my Kahr PM9 in a fanny pack.

oldjackbob
August 28, 2008, 02:05 PM
9mm Hi-Power, in either a fanny pack or a Camelbak Mule.

harmonic
August 28, 2008, 02:39 PM
in either a fanny pack or a Camelbak Mule

I've never owned a fanny pack designed for cc. Are they waterproof?

Bwana John
August 28, 2008, 02:55 PM
642 in a Tommy's fanny pack. I have done bike ride up to 105 miles using that fanny pack.(Last time with a Glock 19)
Great padding in the right places, secure and easy to access with either hand.
Hows the padding for falling off your bike and landing on it?

Having 2 hard crashes in the last year has got me worried about that.

Mainsail
August 28, 2008, 03:01 PM
Wow, this is like déjà vu.

I run six miles three days a week carrying a Taurus M85 in a regular pancake holster openly on my belt. It doesn’t flop around and is very comfortable. On my bike, I carry my P239 openly in a paddle holster.

EDIT to add: I also have pepperspray that is mounted in a special holder attached to the stem of the handlebars. That's my first choice for attacking dogs (after I almost had to shoot one).

Deanimator
August 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
I walk at night. My attire is athletic shorts and a tee-shirt. I don't own anything smaller than an S&W Chief's Special.

Anybody have any concealed carry suggestions?

laurafan
August 28, 2008, 03:59 PM
I use a camelback Demon when on my bike, which has a purpose built pocket for a pistol. Its pretty large, and the water bladder is kind of small, but I still like it.

weisse52
August 28, 2008, 04:29 PM
Tommy's fanny pack

I am on my Crackberry or I would give a more complete write-up. Padding is between you and gun. Wilson Combat has them in stock most times with several size options.

El Tejon
August 28, 2008, 04:35 PM
I walk at night. My attire is athletic shorts and a tee-shirt. I don't own anything smaller than an S&W Chief's Special. Anybody have any concealed carry suggestions?

Sure, De, get a FB. I have a Bianchi (blue with a Nike swoosh I sewed on:D) that I have used for 15 years or so. I carry a Kahr P9 when running outside (don't like to because of a foot injury and I'm a little over fighting weight now) or biking.

Halo
August 28, 2008, 04:48 PM
Sure, De, get a FB. I have a Bianchi (blue with a Nike swoosh I sewed on) that I have used for 15 years or so. I carry a Kahr P9 when running outside (don't like to because of a foot injury and I'm a little over fighting weight now) or biking.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is FB? I'm in the same boat as the other guy, when I go walking it's usually just in shorts and a t-shirt. Kinda limits my options since I don't have a belt or any sort of attachment for a holster.

El Tejon
August 28, 2008, 05:00 PM
Fanny Pack=>http://www.copquest.com/14-3000.htm

Should be optimal for what you do, Halo.

Deanimator
August 28, 2008, 05:04 PM
Sure, De, get a FB. I have a Bianchi (blue with a Nike swoosh I sewed on) that I have used for 15 years or so. I carry a Kahr P9 when running outside (don't like to because of a foot injury and I'm a little over fighting weight now) or biking.
Thanks. For some reason that didn't occur to me even though I've read about and seen them dozens of times.

Deanimator
August 28, 2008, 05:06 PM
Question #2: During the day, I mostly wear jeans (or occasionally dress slacks) and a TUCKED polo shirt. How about recommendations for carrying a Glock 19 or S&W 3" Model 65? I'm specifically curious about how you conceal (and access) a firearm when your shirt is tucked into your pants.

Thanks.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
August 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
How about bell bottoms or baggie pants with a nice ankle holster.

stratomole
August 28, 2008, 06:55 PM
My bell bottoms keep getting stuck in the chain of my sweet 10-speed.

swingpress
August 28, 2008, 10:25 PM
I wear bibs instead of shorts and hang my snubby (in an IWB holster) on the bib at 4:30, then put a loosely folded tube in my right jersey pocket to suggest a reason for the bulge.

apocryph
August 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
I carry my PM9 in a SmartCarry holster biking to and from work every day. Secure, accessible, and no problems w/ sweat.

Stevie-Ray
August 28, 2008, 11:14 PM
Biking at night, Glock 26 in an Uncle Mike's kydex OWB @ 4 o'clock under a safety vest. Easy access but covered, for the most part. Heading out now.

sport-fashion-square
August 29, 2008, 01:07 AM
When running, I carry a P3AT with spare mag inside the black zip up pouch that it came with. It's so light to carry by hand plus I alternate hands if it becomes tiresome. I maintain muzzle discipline as well. The case looks innocuous enough that it resembles an MP3 player. No one has ever given it a second look.

Loomis
August 29, 2008, 01:20 AM
I used to keep a colt trooper 357mag in a handlbar bag on my bicycle. I started doing that after some freak tried to kill me with a baseball bat while riding one day.

Never carried while running.

sailortoo
August 29, 2008, 02:34 AM
Question on "tucked in shirt access". I carry (always) cross draw with a tucked in shirt - always a snap button western style. Very quick access with cross draw, and equally easy by weak hand and pulling up the shirt side (currently I HAVE to do that, due to a right shoulder injury). Same while biking, with either a NAA Black Widow .22 Mag, or SP 101 .357 Mag. I appreciate the idea of pepper spray mounted on the handlebars - much better way to deal with an agressive "biter", the lethal weapon would only be needed as a serious "last ditch" resolution, where I might be knocked from the bike by a really bad actor. I have a neighbor that walks his dogs, and he has a serious billy club hanging from his belt - another approach!
sailortoo

Sylvan-Forge
August 29, 2008, 03:01 AM
I used to run with a home-built .38 derringer, loaded with 148gr wadcutters in a custom 2o'clock retention holster. Since achieving master-slacker rank, I havn't run in quite a while. Want to start up again and I'm thinking the Walther PPS is going to be the running-gun for me in another 2o'clock retention belt holster.

Mandirigma
August 31, 2008, 02:57 AM
I just slide the G33 next to the barebones first aid kit in the camelbak, and toss the neckknife around my neck.

myrockfight
August 31, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't carry when I run. I would find it terribly annoying. A lot of the time I don't run with a shirt on either.

We don't have a lot of dogs running around in the city. Actually, I have never even seen one off the leash or outside a fence/house.

I just don't feel threatened at all when I run. I don't think like a criminal, but I can't think of a reason for someone to assault me. (Not that some criminals need a reason). Don't misunderstand though - I'm all for it.

The smallest gun I have is my PPK and I don't have a way to carry it. If I had a Kel-tec or similiar sized handgun, I would definitely consider it though. Especially when running through the not-so-great parts of town. I just moved and will have to start running through a badish part of town if I run outside of my fenced/gated neighborhood.

I just don't know how I would deal with the bounce of something that heavy for so long. I run between three and eight miles per run, three to five times a week. The holster or other method of carry would have to be tight against my body to not create a chafing issue and to minimize bounce.

Peter Gun
August 31, 2008, 01:58 PM
I also use the Camelback Mule while biking. My 229 .40 fits perfectly in the outside pocket. I can swing it around for access w/out undoing any of the straps and it is stable, i dont notice its there. The Camelback has enough padding that it doesnt jab me if i fall on it. I now carry the new 14rndSCT mags so I dont feel the need for extra mags just for a day ride. For camping i carry 2 spare mags as well.

The Bushmaster
August 31, 2008, 02:37 PM
I carry ...Period...

almostfree
August 31, 2008, 02:50 PM
Glock 29 in a smart carry works great for me. I had to draw from it while getting shot at during a run about a year and a half ago. No problems drawing from it while moving quickly in the opposite direction.

rhubarb
August 31, 2008, 10:36 PM
If I've got my pants on, I'm carrying either a P3AT or (more likely) a Ruger P95. That includes when I'm jogging or biking. Why wouldn't I?

buttrap
September 1, 2008, 05:11 AM
No but I did have a guy try to run me over with a ATV yesterday and when I pointed out its a no no to be there with a ATV he got rude so I had to give him the butt bump with my horse to get his BS out of my face.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do any of you carry while running/biking?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!