3" Vs 4" Barrel?

PDA

M14/11B
August 28, 2008, 11:25 AM
What can I expect the differences in performance between a 3inch vs 4inch barrel on a typical .357? Any help appeciated.

M14

If you enjoyed reading about "3" Vs 4" Barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Phil DeGraves
August 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
Not much. A little more velocity and a little more sight radius on the 4". You probably won't notice the difference. On the other hand, you don't gain much of an advantage in concealability with the 3".

M14/11B
August 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Phil.

spwenger
August 28, 2008, 12:53 PM
...(i.e. IWB vs. OWB), you may not see much difference in ease of concealment with the shorter barrel but you may get a slightly faster draw as the barrrel won't have to rise as far to clear leather.

The older I get, the more attracted I am to three-inch barrel revolvers. It's probably worth noting that the last two issue revolvers of the FBI were the three-inch S&W Model 13 and it stainless-steel cousin, the three-inch Model 65.

Steve C
August 28, 2008, 01:02 PM
From the .357 mag rounds I've chrono'd you'll likely drop 100 fps average velocity by going to a 3" barrel. You will also pick up quite a bit more muzzle blast and flash.

csmkersh
August 28, 2008, 01:29 PM
Barrel length has little to do with how well you can conceal a revolver. It's the cylinder diameter that makes the difference. A big, fat .44 or .45 cylinder is harder to cover for skinny folks than a 5 shot .357 and there's no major difference between a .38 Spl and a .357 magie...

If you enjoyed reading about "3" Vs 4" Barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!