How far can a 500 mag go out of a rifle?

PDA

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 12:10 PM
I have a 50-90 sharps with recorded kills on buffalo out to 1 mile give or take(not out of my gun though). can a 500 mag do the same on smokeless powder? I have seen similar weight bullets doing almost double the speed of my black powder loads. Will it be as accurate?

If you enjoyed reading about "How far can a 500 mag go out of a rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
August 28, 2008, 12:40 PM
1 mile kill from a 50-90 is luck, nothing else. At that range with that cartridge, you'd be calculating the trajectory like an artillery round.

A .500 Mag would likely have a flatter trajectory, but frankly, unless you're using a dedicated long range rifle round like .338LM, .416 Barrett, or .50BMG, scoring a hit on an animal at 1 mile is pretty much luck.

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
1 mile kill from a 50-90 is luck,scoring a hit on an animal at 1 mile is pretty much luck.
Yess all good and maybe true but none the less recorded kills have been recorded in that manner of range give or take. The question is can a 500 mag shoot ar far and as accurately? I am not interested in trying 1 mile shots but 500 to 600 yard shots can be done with a 50-90 will a 500 mag be able to do the same? Thats the question.

General Geoff
August 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
500 to 600 yards, absolutely.

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
well I had been thinking of a handi rifle in 500 mag I wish there were more options for rifles in this caliber but I can make due.........this large bore rifle thing is very adicting, the looks I get when I load a 50-90 at the range make me laugh especially the guy that yelled out He is loading that thing with a peice of kitchen sink pipe!

JesseL
August 28, 2008, 01:17 PM
Well, according to John Ross (http://www.wetinkpro.com/john/site/handload.php) he got a 650 grain bullet going 1265fps from a .500 S&W revolver.

From what Google will tell me, that's slightly better than what the .50-90 does with a 650gr bullet from a 32" barreled rifle.

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 01:58 PM
Quite true I am getting a 530 gr bullet to go 1250fps Thats not a max load I can squeeze a bit more powder in but not sure how much more speed I will get.

Will the pistol bullet loose speed faster than a rifle bullet if MV is the same?

General Geoff
August 28, 2008, 02:14 PM
You'd have to check ballistic coefficient of the bullet. If you're not firing spitzer bullets out of your .50-90, then I'd imagine they'll have similar deceleration rates.

JesseL
August 28, 2008, 02:16 PM
Will the pistol bullet loose speed faster than a rifle bullet if MV is the same?

It just depends on the ballistic coefficients of the particular bullets in question.

From what I've seen the heavy weight .500 S&W and .50 BPCR bullets are pretty similar in profile, so there's probably not much difference in their BCs.

And of course the bullets doesn't know or care if it was a pistol or rifle that launched it if MV is the same.

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 02:19 PM
And of course the bullets doesn't know or care if it was a pistol or rifle that launched it if MV is the same.
I was thinking bullet stabalization might be a factor in maintaining equal ballistics.

the naked prophet
August 28, 2008, 02:48 PM
Keep in mind as well that black powder will be more accurate than smokeless.

Black powder is a weak explosive - it burns at the same speed, regardless of pressure. It can be made to be very, very consistent.

Smokeless powder is a (conflagrant? deflagrant? something like that) which burns faster at higher pressure. It requires extremely precise control over the size of the particles, retardant coating, etc. to make smokeless loads accurate.

Assuming you used identically shaped bullets, at identical velocities from identical guns, the gun with black powder will be more accurate because the bullets will be traveling at a more consistent velocity.

If you enjoyed reading about "How far can a 500 mag go out of a rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!