New Orleans prepares for Gustov!

PDA

ZeSpectre
August 28, 2008, 02:30 PM
Outdoor Life "GunShots"
August 27, 2008

Guns and Gustav (http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshots/2008/08/whats-selling-i.html)

We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”

Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.

—John Snow

the comments on the page are...interesting.

EDIT: to clarify for some of you, this is not MY blog, it's something I read.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Orleans prepares for Gustov!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Aaryq
August 28, 2008, 02:33 PM
LOVE IT! LOVE IT!! OUTSTANDING!!

Hopefully these people know how to use it.

dogmush
August 28, 2008, 02:34 PM
Those are good citizens. They want to make sure law enforcment only confiscates high quality weapons. [/cynicism]

But it is good that more people will be prepared if it goes bad for them again.

Gunnerpalace
August 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
I doubt they will try confiscations again. Then again Nagin is still the mayor.

foghornl
August 28, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah, Ray "Nothin' in the Noggin" Nagan is still mayor, so anything goes...

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 02:51 PM
“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”
I have to call bs on this :cuss:what store has 20 ar's on the shelf? Its possible but for all of them so sell while some one stood ther and watched?Also cases of 223 flying off the shelf:what:, with all the complaints of cant find 223 any where I have to wonder how a store has multiple cases to be sold?:scrutiny:...............Looks like thread lock is LIKELY HERE.

also I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” didnt know sporting goods stores sold lumber and hardware what a load of crap!:banghead: just too many holes in this story for me!

Chris B
August 28, 2008, 02:56 PM
I can think of at least three stores that stock at least 10 AR's at a time, on the shelves, and who knows how many in their rear stock rooms.

Good for the people buying! Hopefully Gustav won't make landfall in the states.

Thread lock IS likely though if this gets too political.

ZeSpectre
August 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
Yes, how about a gentle nudge back on topic.
So it took a major hurricaine and devestation still not completely calculated, and deaths, and evil acts....

but

It looks like some folks are WAKING THE HECK UP! At least it is a start.

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
Can we atleast get a diffrent source to confirm this stuff? news paper cnn msnbc local lews something?

lloydkristmas
August 28, 2008, 03:19 PM
I worked at a central texas Academy sports store not long ago, and at any given time they had at least 4 AR's on display, 5-8 more underneath the rack, and at least as many back in the stock room. Since I left, they are also stocking Beretta Storm carbines and SIG 556's. There are at least 3 or 4 of each in the store.

Mrs. Armoredman
August 28, 2008, 03:21 PM
I hope this won't be another repeat of Katrina. If anyone here lives there my thoughts and prayers go out to you. Be safe.

Picard I do agree with you.

Mayor Nagin is a greedy know it all. They had better not take peoples guns away.

feedthehogs
August 28, 2008, 03:29 PM
Local Gander Mountain has at least 20 S&W and Remington AR's on the shelf and plenty of ammo in .223.

IF you want to pay the price. So its not far fetched.

More of a concern is people buying Ar's who have no idea how they operate, how to clear a jam(cause most likely all the ammo being sold is Wolf) and the long range potential killing of the AR.

Paranoia and guns isn't a good mix.

I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,”

I think the story is trying to say that it seems some people are more concerned with buying an AR and ammo over buying plywood, gas and water, not that they are trying to buy those items at a sporting goods store.

Just poor writing on the part of the blog entry.

left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean

I wouldn't get too excited about that. You have to understand that a good percentage of Island residents in developed Islands live in homes no more secure than a good storage shed and that Islands like Haiti have mud, tin and cardboard huts for homes. If they have a home.

Most people only visit the Island resorts and have no idea how bad the residents live outside the resort perimiter.

Ske1etor
August 28, 2008, 03:29 PM
They will never attempt to take arms away from citizens in the wake of a hurricane again in New Orleans or the surrounding parishes. Trust me on that one.

I am gearing up to roll out of the city by saturday. Hopefully we don't see another Katrina like disaster. We are all a bit more prepared this time around though.

XDKingslayer
August 28, 2008, 03:44 PM
22LR & a .38 is all that's needed with the right wheelbarrow.

At least someone was able to sneak in a GunKid reference.

Valkman
August 28, 2008, 03:52 PM
They will never attempt to take arms away from citizens in the wake of a hurricane again in New Orleans or the surrounding parishes. Trust me on that one.

I hope you are right but I sure don't trust Nagin & Co.

The comments on that page are priceless!

grilledcheese
August 28, 2008, 04:26 PM
Best post:

"Katrina really showed that the State and Federal government is not your savior, or sometimes even your friend. When natural or man-made disasters happen, YOU are responsible for the safety and well-being of your family. No one else, you are responsible.

Many people learned that lesson."

No offense against everyone in government, obviously, but a very true statement nonetheless.

Jeffrey

Drgong
August 28, 2008, 04:37 PM
I use claymore mines. Much more effective. If I hear an intruder, *clap* *clap* and he's history!

Something about having a Claymore Mine hooked up to "the Clapper" makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

guntotinguy
August 28, 2008, 04:47 PM

I certainly hope thats true...never can tell though but its up to those who 'went through it before' to make sure it doesnt happen again (by legal means not a political or militia statement)

shadowalker
August 28, 2008, 04:48 PM
It is good that at least some people have learned a lesson. It always strikes me as humorous though that people wait to prepare until it is on their door. Instead of fortifying the house they are out looking for supplies where IF they find them they will often pay far more than normal.

I have to call bs on this what store has 20 ar's on the shelf?

I don't know if it is a true story but it isn't uncommon to see good numbers of AR-15's here either. Two of the sporting good stores I go to have considerably more than 20 AR-15's displayed, I imagine they have more in the back.

Zip7
August 28, 2008, 05:08 PM
Well, so far my preparation has been that I loaded my Single Six. So now I have a 22 revolver and a 357 revolver loaded.

If they come after me with the AR15s I'll be in trouble.

This morning on the radio, some fellow called in to ask about bus evacuations (the state is going to provide buses for evac this time) and his question was, was there anyone who could come pick up his neighbor - an elderly lady who can't get to the bus pickup place on her own. Wanted to know if the bus could come pick her up. It never occurred to him to take her himself. Several people called wanting to know if the Red Cross would be handing out debit cards for buying gas to evac.

And THAT attitude - more than Nagin, or anything else is the problem with New Orleans. I suspect there are other cities with similar problems.

I think people running around buying AR15s to prepare for the hurricane is a little wacky, but as I pointed out - there are a lot of wacky people in most big cities.

damien
August 28, 2008, 05:15 PM
what store has 20 ar's on the shelf

Both stores I prefer, MegaSports and G.A.T. Guns (Northern Illinois). MegaSports has racks and racks of them. If they had less than 50 in stock, I would be surprised.

But I admit, they might be a tad bigger than average. That's why they are not called PrettyBigSports or anything like that.

Justin
August 28, 2008, 05:25 PM
what store has 20 ar's on the shelf?

Only the ones worth going to.

JaxNovice
August 28, 2008, 05:26 PM
The real questions is how many AKs and 12ga shotties they had on the shelf. I am not sure that the AR would be a really good choice for defense of home in an urban setting. The AR may be more accurate but who cares? It is kind of hard to claim self defense when you pop someone at 300 yards. Also if someone is buying their first rifle and only have a few days to learn to use it, the AR is most likely a poor choice.

I call total BS on the article. Lets say you have 5 people working the counter (and that is being really nice). This guy sat there while each of them handled 4 customers? This includes the selection process, questions, the background check, the sale and packaging? BS!

This guy probably saw one person buying an AR and embelished the story to reinforce a pre-existing bias.

TexasRifleman
August 28, 2008, 05:32 PM
I call total BS on the article. Lets say you have 5 people working the counter (and that is being really nice). This guy sat there while each of them handled 4 customers? This includes the selection process, questions, the background check, the sale and packaging? BS!

You ever watched the gun counter at Cabelas on a weekend?

I've spent 30 minutes wandering around and literally watched them sell a gun a minute. 8-10 people selling and 3 doing 4473's.

I believe it's possible, but only in a big store like that.

Guns and more
August 28, 2008, 05:34 PM
By the way, I just heard on the radio that Mayor Ray Nagin is in Denver rubbing elbows with the big spenders. May I suggest, "Ray, go home. It would look good if you got there before FEMA!"

JaxNovice
August 28, 2008, 05:37 PM
It may be true that it "can" happen but this is the middle of the week and not a weekend. Also, there is no Cabelas in NO.

MIgunguy
August 28, 2008, 05:37 PM
what store has 20 ar's on the shelf?

All of 'em around here.

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
August 28, 2008, 05:41 PM
Zip7 have you ever gone through a major cane. It doesn't surprise me at all that people are arming themselves. When andrew hit down here there was totel anarchy. I saw looting all over and had a friend from inner city miami that saw someone shot over a gallon of water and some ice. Katrina was just as bad and when frances and jeane hit us a few years ago I witnessed the national guard directing traffic while there were break ins all around my neighborhood. Granted I have nothing against the guardsmen as they were just following orders but when storms like this happen it brings out the worst in a lot of people and the worst of the people will not evacuate so they can take advantage of empty neighborhoods thats why I don't leave my home anymore. I now live in merritt island and we had 30 inches of rain from fay now its possible we will take a direct hit from hannah so I will make sure my guns are ready to use if needed.

Duke Junior
August 28, 2008, 05:42 PM
New Orleans,settled in a swamp in 1704,has survived insurrections,multiple wars,malaria ,political corruption galore,the Civil War,and has flown under about 5 different flags.
But Mayor Ray Nagin may finally bring this incredible compound to it's knee's.

TexasRifleman
August 28, 2008, 05:43 PM
Also, there is no Cabelas in NO.

Ahhh, I just assumed there was. Shame on me then.

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
Ok I submit there is likely a few gun stores Scattered across the country that have 20+ rifles. But how many are in Lousiana? and I agree with Lets say you have 5 people working the counter (and that is being really nice). This guy sat there while each of them handled 4 customers? This includes the selection process, questions, the background check, the sale and packaging? BS! and again from the OPI just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” why are you in a sporting goods store looking for lumber and hardware?

Please another source for confirmation about SHTF gun purchasing in LA.

Oh yeah its the 28th no where near a payday yet for most based on 15th/30th where is all this money sprouting from?

JaxNovice
August 28, 2008, 05:47 PM
I just checked (you can tell I am bored) and searched for all of the sporting goods stores in NO. Ahhh... not sure how to say this but I am fairly sure that this guy is full of BS. Someone find me a sporting goods store in NO that could handle the sale of 20 ARs in just a few minutes.

Remember two of the facts stated were he was shopping at a sporting goods store in NO and he witnessed at least 20 people buy an AR.

I am all for the population arming themselves but I really think this guy is blowing smoke. They should arm themselves down in NO but we have no factual basis that they are.

Eric F
August 28, 2008, 05:51 PM
:Dand he witnessed at least 20 people buy an AR.
OH I GIT IT NOW!!!!!! it was 20 people group purchasing 1 AR its now a comunity gun..........:D lol!!! story confirmed!

kwelz
August 28, 2008, 05:55 PM
My local Gun store has about 200-300 ARs in stock and they move them pretty fast. Another much smaller (I would say Tiny) shop has about 12 on his wall at all times.

JaxNovice
August 28, 2008, 05:59 PM
OH I GIT IT NOW!!!!!! it was 20 people group purchasing 1 AR its now a comunity gun.......... lol!!! story confirmed!

You very well may be on to something. The average income of NO is low that I am surprised that 20 people did not pool together to buy a Hi-Point .380.

Zip7
August 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
Zip7 have you ever gone through a major cane...

Yeah, Katrina and a number of lesser ones. There won't be anarchy where I live. There's an element in the city of New Orleans that will cause trouble there I'm sure... they do every single time, but they won't evacuate unless somebody from the government comes to get them, and if they do get bused out, they won't be coming to where I live, so... not much to worry about here.

I'm far more concerned with the health and welfare of my chainsaw, because in the aftermath of a storm, there's no way you are getting into the saw shop. After Katrina, there was so much bottled water brought in - mostly by churches and private individuals - that everyone in my town could have took baths in it every day and there still would have been excess.

My wife is going north to visit relatives this weekend, and if the storm comes she'll stay up there. I'll probably send all my better guns with her so they will be out of the way just in case the house gets busted by a giant tree.

skinewmexico
August 28, 2008, 06:34 PM
My local gun store has 12 AR-15s out, and 4 AR-10s. Probably at least that many in the back.

TxState101
August 28, 2008, 06:57 PM
I worked at an Academy, and there were 3 - 4 Bushmaster's on the shelf, 1 - 2 Remington, and usually about 2 S&W's in the gun rack at any one time.

In addition to the Beretta CX4 Storm's, with about 4 - 8 locked up behind the cage, and the store right down the road had more AR-15's and Sig 556's.

Sportsman's Warehouse, on the other hand, had everything from M1A's, AR-15's, Sig 556's, etc. Now, San Antonio ain't the same as New Orleans, but it's entirely possible that there are that many AR-15's. Whether or not that twenty of them were sold, it takes about 10 minutes to fill out a 4473 if you know what you're doing, about another 5 minutes to call NICS, get a proceed, and then another 5 minutes to log it into the computer and get a manager to approve it then walk it up to the cash register.

As far as ammo goes, we usually stocked Monarch in .223, and had about two cases of ammo on the shelf and about another 4 sitting on the warehouse racks.

JDoe
August 28, 2008, 08:40 PM

I can only dream about this wonderful sight (being in California) but Jefferson Gun has well over 500 AR type .223s in stock...

Gottahaveone
August 28, 2008, 08:51 PM
By the way, I just heard on the radio that Mayor Ray Nagin is in Denver rubbing elbows with the big spenders. May I suggest, "Ray, go home. It would look good if you got there before FEMA!"

These poor folks already have a potential hurricane coming....why in the heck would you wish nagin's speedy return on them, too? :evil:

WNTFW
August 28, 2008, 09:15 PM
I live across the river from N.O.

That story is most likely BS.
No store name.
I've never seen any place around here selling .223 by the case.

I called some guy who told me that he saw - real great reporting.

I was down here for Katrina - A lot of what was on the news was very sensationalized. I'll go with what I saw with my own eyes. Not that I was everywhere, but I really do consider the source.

I bet If I go to or call some local stores tomorrow the have AR's still.

Drgong
August 28, 2008, 09:22 PM
Sparta Gun and ammo in NC has 20+ AR (not including another 15 AKs) and it is in a county of around 10,000.

Stevie-Ray
August 28, 2008, 09:27 PM
“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”[bad Ash]Ooooh! Ooooooh![/bad Ash] Hear that, Nagin? Don't even think of tryin that crap again! And you know what I mean!

cliffy
August 28, 2008, 09:44 PM
My heart goes out to New Orleans residents who are readying for another possible Katrina intolerable incident. Since I'm now retired, THIS TIME I hope to aide in whatever aspect I am able. I'm an old fart with a rifle, yet well-practiced and extremely accurate. I fully expect to enjoy Martigra next May. cliffy

Kino74
August 29, 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm sure the story is just a bit exagerated, no big surprise there. ALso no big surprise the media down here is reporting that gun sales are up 400% but then again, no big surprise there given the memory of Katrina. I tend to find Baton Rouge has the much better gun stores including NFA items.

publiuss
August 29, 2008, 12:35 AM
They try that illegal confiscation again I predict it's going to go a little bit different for them this time.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 29, 2008, 12:55 AM
This shows it more likely to hit Galveston, Houston, etc., than New Orleans.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/tropical-storm-gustav-nears-hurricane/story.aspx?guid=%7B13CEEE36-C1E0-4A55-AA61-B3FEAE6D1CF1%7D&dist=msr_2

Grey_Mana
August 29, 2008, 07:36 AM
Can we atleast get a diffrent source to confirm this stuff? news paper cnn msnbc local lews something? This is sarcasm, right? I'd expect the Brady site to cover this story before msnbc or cnn.

Ske1etor
August 29, 2008, 07:43 AM
Also, there is no Cabelas in NO

That is correct... But there is one in Gonzales. About 40 minutes outside of New Orleans...

md7
August 29, 2008, 10:42 AM
hello,

i live in south mississippi about 80 or so miles off of the coast. when katrina hit, we were without power for 4 weeks. NOAA and Accuweather project a path for this storm a little to the west of where Katrina hit. which would put NO to the east (which is bad) and much of the parts of MS that were hit hard during Katrina would likely be affected if the storm does land where NOAA projects it to. IMHO, it is still a little too far to tell, but i'm no meteorologist either.

i say all that to say, that people around here are not really panicking, but they are definitly getting prepared in a way that i have not seen in my life. Katrina caught us unprepared. we had no idea that the storm would be THAT BAD, so that rests heavy on alot of people's minds.

things got pretty bad in some areas (leo's stretched thin, looting, vandalism etc.) but i haven't seen people buying AR's and cases of ammo. Mostly people around here are buying fuel, batteries, non parishables, gas cans, generators,chainsaws, etc. i did notice that alot of ammo was sold at the local hardware store. more so than usual, so i suspect that there probably are some people making firearm purchases and definitly some folks buying extra ammo.

it wouldn't surprise me if folks around the NO area are buying AR's, but i doubt they are buying them in droves.

GlowinPontiac
August 29, 2008, 03:54 PM
The Ar15 is the perfect weapon for hurricane aftermath,zombie apocalypse,or just relaxing and shooting a few groundhogs. God smiles every time someone pulls the trigger on one.

Out of all the comments this one was my favorite!

JaxNovice
August 29, 2008, 04:50 PM
That is correct... But there is one in Gonzales. About 40 minutes outside of New Orleans...

The writer claims to have been shopping in NO not Gonzalez.

sanglant
August 29, 2008, 05:42 PM
This morning on the radio, some fellow called in to ask about bus evacuations (the state is going to provide buses for evac this time) and his question was, was there anyone who could come pick up his neighbor - an elderly lady who can't get to the bus pickup place on her own. Wanted to know if the bus could come pick her up. It never occurred to him to take her himself. Several people called wanting to know if the Red Cross would be handing out debit cards for buying gas to evac.
She might need someone with a stretcher to get her out of the house :(

dhoomonyou
August 29, 2008, 06:40 PM
Hopefully they will be safe, and vote Republican.

bwavec
August 29, 2008, 11:08 PM
I hope all goes better this time. The government "appears" to have a better plan, and is putting it into use well in advance of the storm. Good Luck.

But at the same time.....you have to take your own responsibility for your own survival. Take responsibility for yourself, and have a plan that you can put into action. If Katrina taught anyone anything it should have been: DO NOT RELY ON THE GOVERNMENT FOR YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY AND WELL BEING.

The_Shootist
August 30, 2008, 01:44 AM
Gas prices on Galveston jumped 11 cents/gal from $3.35 to 3.46/gal overnight. Price gouging? Hurricane threat on the Gulf Oil Rigs? Labour Day Holiday? Dunno but I suspect that oil in the storage tanks was bought and paid for didn't magically tranform itself overnight into something more expensive on its own.

Now I'm not a communist or anything but seeing stuff like this makes me think I'm being ripped off (don't get me started on ammo prices). Luckily I have 3/4 of a tank in th truck and leave tommorrow to visit my mom in SC so hopefully this will blow over - no pun intended.

Oh yeah - any truth to the rumour we have sharpshooters on the west bank of the Sabine to keep the K-Ville riff raff from pulling another Wild West situation in Houston? :evil:

The_Shootist
August 30, 2008, 01:48 AM
Quote:

'The Ar15 is the perfect weapon for hurricane aftermath,zombie apocalypse,or just relaxing and shooting a few groundhogs. God smiles every time someone pulls the trigger on one."

I guess the guy that posted that one doesn't own an AK.

If I got sent to Hell or to Mars, I'd carry my WASR10 (and probably my my G19 and SP 101 as the NY reloads) :D

ctdonath
August 30, 2008, 02:29 AM
If you're a gun store near NOLA with another hurricane following a head-on path toward your area, you WILL get as many ARs on the shelves as possible ASAP.

Clipper
August 30, 2008, 07:01 AM

Shoot...Williams Gunsite has more than 20 in the USED rack...

Personally, I would think anyone daffy enough to make their home in a hole surrounded by the ocean, the largest river in North America and a huge lake is asking for whatever they get. Maybe some more will wise up and leave and save my long-suffering tax dollars from a few more over-priced wasted trailers and contractor ripoff rebuilds...

totoro
August 30, 2008, 07:17 AM
I am just north of New Orleans,as they say down here,"across the lake"My wife and daughter are leaving to higher ground.I think I will have a larger problem with trees than thugs.Although my 75b will be on my side for the duration........

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 08:04 AM
If you're a gun store near NOLA with another hurricane following a head-on path toward your area, you WILL get as many ARs on the shelves as possible ASAP.
No I dont think I would. NO is more than popular as a poverty stricken city. Yes some folks have means to drop $850 to $1500 on an AR but if I were there it would be cheap and/or inexpensive guns. hi-points, mil surplus, you know lesser expensive guns. BEsides huricanes you get maybe a week of notice how many guns can you order and get out on the shelf with a few days to a week of warning and then sell them too? Nope not many. NO gun store with high end guns= low sales and low income. For a city like that its cheap guns. I know I have lived in a poverty stricken city but not to the extent of NO so it can only be worse there. Just my opinion.

grilledcheese
August 30, 2008, 11:32 AM
Since I'm down here in the area I'll give my however-many-cents worth:
There are a good many people in and around the N.O. area who can afford good firearms. Most of the people who came back to rebuild had the financial resources to do so, and after the fiasco that was Katrina, I can guarantee you that the majority of those who choose to stay this time will have the lawlessness and looting of the first go round foremost on their minds. The flooding and wind damage caused by nature are one thing---the inexcusable animalistic behavior of other so-called human beings is another, and this is what we all remember down here.
And we despise it.
Those who stay will be prepared accordingly.

Jeffrey

Drgong
August 30, 2008, 11:36 AM
+1 grilled

jdc1244
August 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
What I find BS is the AR part – everyone on the Gulf Coast knows the AK is the ultimate ‘cane gun. ;)

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well grilled cheese where as I agree than not every one there is in poverty status the majority are even now. Yes those with funds came back to rebuild and yes those who dont have funds came back too. Hence the preparation for looters. If only the money endowed folks came back there would be no need for looting preparation.
I do not care or wish to be insulting but on a business level you must cater to the area and majority of the people. For a store owner carring top end firearms where the poor are the majority makes no sense. Yes keep a few on the shelf for the ones with funding but in NO $200-$400 guns is the stuff to have if you want to sell anything.

daddy-o
August 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
I wonder how so many people in this thread know so much about New Orleans, yet have never lived here:confused:

@ Clipper: I guess I'm daffy enough then. There's not one place in the continental US that's immune from some kind of natural disaster. At least with hurricanes, I can see them coming and get my family to safety.

See: http://www.usatoday.com/life/graphics/natural_disasters/flash.htm

As far as ignorant comments like that go - if you had any idea how much people living in this "soup bowl" contribute to the rest of the country in terms of oil production and our port, you'd be thankings us for living here. You think gas prices are high now? If we weren't around they'd be higher.

@ Eric F: You're right, nothing but poor people down here in New Orleans:rolleyes:

lgsracer
August 30, 2008, 12:51 PM
As for picking up lumber and firearms check out Baldwin-Taylor Ace Hardware.
http://www.superpages.com/bp/New-Orleans-LA/BaldwinTaylor-Ace-Hardware-L0066099876.htm?SRC=portals&C=Guns+%26+Ammunition+Dealers&lbp=1

I hope everyone stays safe. This storm will be a real bugger. I really worry about Hanna. It is looking like a repeat of Betsy. Check out this track:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Betsy_1965_track.png

Well I picked up a few more boxes of 00 yesterday for the 930 SPX, hopefully I will not have to use them.

daddy-o
August 30, 2008, 01:00 PM
@ lgsracer, that store's only a few blocks from where I live. I bought my S&W 642 from them a few weeks ago. They are great guys.

There's a bunch of other gun shops around here too.

As far as any having that many AR-15's like the original poster described, I have no idea.

jdc1244
August 30, 2008, 01:05 PM
I wonder how so many people in this thread know so much about New Orleans, yet have never lived here.

16 years in Louisiana, living in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Houma.

The story may or may not be BS – I can see it happening in Kenner or Metairie, the folks in Jefferson and the other Bedroom Parishes have the money and means. Of course they tend to fair better in the storms.

Regardless, I’m concerned for friends and family in the area; I’ve been through more then my share of storms there and in Florida – unfortunately I think this is not going to turn out good – let’s hope I’m wrong.

Good luck and God Bless…

JWarren
August 30, 2008, 03:56 PM
What I find BS is the AR part – everyone on the Gulf Coast knows the AK is the ultimate ‘cane gun.

I had an AK for Katrina. This time around, I have an AR-15. We'll see, I suppose. :)

All in all, I suspect my chainsaw will get more work than my firearms.

-- John

yesit'sloaded
August 30, 2008, 03:58 PM
The storm is now a cat. 4 with gusts well within the cat.5 range. It will be SHTF wherever it ends up.

scrat
August 30, 2008, 04:00 PM
only think i can say is for those of you who live in that area good luck and stay safe

JWarren
August 30, 2008, 04:03 PM
The storm is now a cat. 4 with gusts well within the cat.5 range. It will be SHTF wherever it ends up.

It will hit Cat. 5 before it hits land. At landfall, it looks like it will be back down to a strong category 4. So, yep... it ain't good. Katrina was a 4 at landfall.

What concerns me is that this one seems that it will be slow moving. When Katrina hit, we had winds for several hours, but this one seems like we will be feeling it for well over a day.

That is a lot of time to wear down and damage infrastructure. Katrina may have been larger, but this one looks like it will have more time to do its work.

http://weather.wwltv.com/auto/wwltv/tropical/tracking/at200807.html

-- John

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 04:06 PM
@ Eric F: You're right, nothing but poor people down here in New Orleans now come on, I never said every one was poor just the majority there. Its not an insult lots of places are like that. I am just saying if I were running a shop I would have a few expensive things but the majority of my inventory would be stuff that the local people could afford. You dont set up a 5 star resturant were the bottom end enter is $65 a plate in the middle of section 8 housing do you?

JWarren
August 30, 2008, 04:15 PM
Eric,

No offense, but I think you are getting too much information from the media. Every area has a good portion of the economic spectrum.

There are plenty of expensive establishments in NO-- like the one where I bought a BMW from.

A lot of people would say that the rural south has a higher percentage of poor-- and yet, I can think of a dozen multimillionaires within a few miles of me-- in a area of 5,000 people.

And yet... just like Detroit, Michigan, St. Louis, NYC, Mobile, Dallas, LA, etc., etc., there are poor people here too.

Thinking like you mentioned only feeds the "we must save those poor people who can't help themselves BS."

People wouldn't feel that way if they saw the fraud, corruption, and greed that I've seen in people-- INCLUDING those "poor" people in an effort to get some of that money.

-- John

jakemccoy
August 30, 2008, 05:07 PM
I'd take an AK over an AR in this situation. In fact, I'd take an 870 over an AR.

Drgong
August 30, 2008, 05:15 PM
One word...

Saiga and a handgun...

Ok..thats four...

jakemccoy
August 30, 2008, 05:19 PM
Saiga = AK basically.

macadore
August 30, 2008, 05:29 PM
Venice is seventy miles south of New Orleans and as far south as you can go without a boat, and is not very much above sea level. Other than people, there are a lot of dangerous things in the swamp for which a 223 would be an ideal round.

However, it has been leveled before by hurricanes and there will be nothing anyone can do if it takes another hit. If I lived there, I would be buying gasoline for my vehicle and heading north. You can’t swim very well with a case of .223.

streakr
August 30, 2008, 05:34 PM
After Katrina most of the firearm seizures were by mercenaries hired by state and federal agencies.

streakr

guntotinguy
August 30, 2008, 05:53 PM
One word...

Saiga and a handgun...

Ok..thats four...

Yep,good idea and as much ammo you can carry!

Bobarino
August 30, 2008, 06:01 PM
while the OP's observations may have been exaggerated, they might not be all that far from the truth. especially in light of this excerpt:

Unlike Katrina, when thousands took refuge inside the Superdome, there will be no "last resort" shelter, and those who stay behind accept "all responsibility for themselves and their loved ones," said the city's emergency preparedness director, Jerry Sneed.

from this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26425142/

i would suspect that a good percentage of those that choose to stay behind are making it a point to be well armed in light of the Katrina.

it'll be interesting to see how it plays out and i wish all those in the storm's path good luck.

Bobby

daddy-o
August 30, 2008, 06:02 PM
Eric, you're still wrong. The majority of New Orleans is not poor. Stop watching CNN.

Drgong
August 30, 2008, 06:05 PM
NO after katrina is actually VERY affulant, good wages and as much work as you would want.

Should we have a offical "I don't have a firearm, what should I get for Gustav" Thread?

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
August 30, 2008, 11:33 PM
You also need to remember that in a city with a criminal element like NO a good portion of the people who don't leave are staying so they can take advantage of the people who did evacuate. It's gonna be like a kid in a candy store or these scumbags.

moga
August 31, 2008, 12:00 AM
I have to call bs on this...Can we atleast get a diffrent source to confirm this stuff? news paper cnn msnbc local lews something?

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2008/08/gun_ammo_sales_are_brisk_ahead.html

Gun, ammo sales are brisk ahead of storm
by Chris Kirkham and Brendan McCarthy, The Times-Picayune
Friday August 29, 2008, 9:32 PM

On what would normally be a slow summer weekday, the three employees at Gretna Gun Works Inc. frantically tended to a crush of customers admiring the racks of shotguns and rifles lined up behind the glass counter.

Among the patrons: a jewelry store owner from eastern New Orleans with plans to stand guard through Gustav; two uniformed Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office deputies inquiring about additional firearms; and an avid hunter who was in to pick up a 12-gauge he dropped off for cleaning.

"It's hurricane season, you definitely want it back now, right?" employee John DeRosier said with a grin as he handed the Beretta shotgun back to the owner.

In yet another sign of hardened sensibilities in post-Katrina New Orleans, managers of gun shops and sporting goods stores across the area report a spike in gun and ammunition sales this week.

As Gustav inches closer to the Gulf of Mexico, the stark images of looting and chaos in Katrina's wake remain fresh on residents' minds. Fears of property damage after a frustrating, three-year rebuilding process have some considering staying behind and taking security into their own hands.

Firefighters and other emergency personnel required to stay behind are among the more frequent customers, store managers said.

"I just don't think people want to be caught with their pants down, " said Robby Lack of Destrehan, who was walking out of an Academy sporting goods store this week with ammunition for the shotgun and two pistols he owns, along with gasoline containers and other hurricane supplies.

'You just never know'

...the rest of the article can be found at the link.

Eric F
August 31, 2008, 03:22 AM
J waren I was just there last month for a week for a class(fire department) While I was there the city official even said 60% of the city was on welfare so the 40% who arent have to carry the 60% who are Now I am not saying that rich people can or cant live in a place like that I am not even saying that upper eng stores cant be found there. What I am saying is I seriously doubt that any store in the city had as much as the story in the OP stated. Where as there are bound to be some panic induced purchases there are not situations of mas gun store dumpings going on in some sort of frenzy as described in the op.

Oh yeah I really dont watch cnn either sorry just prefrence...............but with that said I noticed its a cat 5 now and its a mando evacuation for many now, kinda doubt guns will be a priority if this is the case now, we will see what the rest of today brings. I think I would prefer a life jacket and a helmet if I were staying(I already have a good pistol)

All kidding and jokeing aside this is a very "poor" situation(ok again no kidding) no one needs to stay behind for this one this is a real endo of that area as we know it situation. No gun purchase now is going to make any diffrence now. Why would you stay? There is still 24-36 hours to get on out of there. If you feel the need to but a gun get it in Batonrouge on the way north but dont waist time hanging around NO.

Nematocyst
August 31, 2008, 03:29 AM
One word...

Saiga and a handgun...Five words...

Don't be stupid. Get out (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7590332.stm).

Steve Raacke
August 31, 2008, 05:41 AM
If you feel the need to but a gun get it in Batonrouge on the way north but dont waist time hanging around NO.
Don't come here to Baton Rouge. We are expecting hurricane force winds as the storm passes just to our west. I expect my home, located just south of Baton Rouge, to be crushed by a falling tree. The winds are going to be above 75mph for several hours and I have trees on the east side of my home. Me and mine will be sheltering at my job in Baton Rouge until the winds die down. Anyone heading west out of New Orleans toward Baton Rouge is going the wrong way.
I'm taking a couple of 9mm handguns whit me in the car and maybe one of my AR-15s. Everything else is staying home and I hope to find it in the debris later.
I'll check back in later in the week if I can.

Zip7
August 31, 2008, 07:46 AM
Don't come here to Baton Rouge. We are expecting hurricane force winds as the storm passes just to our west.

Yes - at my house, the wind is the big killer. I have 11 big water oak trees on my property, any one of which could total my house. They aren't easy to bring down - I only lost one during Katrina, but they are the reason I usually don't stay if hurricane force winds are expected.. I may go stay at a friends house here, or I have two out of town places to go as well.

My best friend lives east of Baton Rouge - I'm not going that way either.

I know Nagin is a little wacky, but the fact is, this Hurricane has the potential to be worse for NO than Katrina. i.e. more water in the city. Any sort of jog that sends the eyewall over Lake Ponchartrain, and it's doomsday - WAY worse than Katrina. Most everyone who lives here will readily admit that we dodged a big one with Katrina - that it could have been far worse if the eye had been 60 miles to the west of where it was.

That said, the weather people here are sounding much more optimistic than they did last night.

We've been battening things down for a couple of days, and the only time I've thought about guns is to think about something to pack them in in case we need to run at the last minute.

kkille1lsu
August 31, 2008, 09:46 AM
Just want to update:

It is 8:30 in the morning here in downtown New Orleans. I haven't left yet because I spent the last two days preparing my parents that live in Slidell (30 miles north) and now have been up all night preparing myself. The city is empty. Contraflow is in effect and traffic is finally clearing up on the interstate in N.O. Most of the poor and elderly were put on buses and trains yesterday.

Mayors of all the greater N.O. cities have made it clear that if you stay you are on your own. Meaning that you will not have power, water, or sewerage. You will be assumed a criminal and looter if you are found out and about around the city and will be approached with aggression.

The word is the westbank of the river will have SERIOUS flooding. Water will be above the levees. If the storm moves further east it is predicted that the levees on the east side of the river(New Orleans) will have water above the levees. Army Corp of Engineers believe the structure of the levees should hold.

My prayers are with all that have to endure this storm, but most importantly my prayers are with all the inconsiderate people that have wished this storm and Katrina would wipe New Orleans, my home, off the map. I pray you understand how you make the people feel that read your negative, hurtful, comments.

Well, back to work. I got to get North. Hope to get to "see" you guys soon!

myrockfight
August 31, 2008, 12:14 PM
Good luck up there man! Wish you guys the best. Be careful! At least everyone will be driving so slow there won't be any (or very few) fatal accidents getting out of there.

JWarren
August 31, 2008, 12:16 PM
Stay Safe, KK. Ain't gonna be pretty for you.

-- John

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 31, 2008, 08:39 PM
Here's a list of stuff more important than guns & ammo if you stay in and around coastal Louisiana during this storm:

-Boat
-Lifejackets
-Axe & Saw
-Fresh Water
-Food
-Generator w/ gas & oil
-Evac plan (if things get too bad)
-Flashlights & candles
-Working radio receiver
-Flares, mirrors & other signal devices
-Walkie talkie or CB radio
-Cell Phone

Having said that, I'd sure have a few guns locked and loaded for good measure. Good luck to the folks who live down there, whether you stay or not.

ZeSpectre
August 31, 2008, 09:12 PM
Gun, ammo sales are brisk ahead of storm
by Chris Kirkham and Brendan McCarthy, The Times-Picayune
Friday August 29, 2008, 9:32 PM

Well how 'bout that, sounds like the "I call BS" folks owe somebody an apology.

As for you THR folks (and those not on THR) who are in 'Orleans and the surrounding areas, PLEASE make smart decisions and may God (or whatever deity you subscribe to) guide and shield you.

Be safe!
Ze

JWarren
August 31, 2008, 11:54 PM
Eric,

I'm not doubting you, and I am not doubting what the city official said. I think I should clarify something in light of the information you just provieded:

There is a HUGE difference in that poverty rate of ORLEANS Parish (New Olreans proper) and the GNO (Greater New Orleans Area.)

Orleans Parish and New Orleans are crippled by poverty and are largely welfare regions. However, when most of us down here speak of New Orleans, we are talking about the GNO-- unless we specifically say Orleans Parish.

In the GNO Kenner, Metarie, and a few other places in Jefferson Parish and surrounding parishes are much more affluent. One area I can think of IN Orleans parish is quite affluent, but it is a the odd area out.

And then there's the North Shore region. The North Shore has been basically an affluent suburb of the GNO for decades. Lately, it is an economic center in its own right-- more independant of the GNO.

So, you are both correct and wrong at the same time-- if that makes sense. In its strictest and narrowest terminology, you are correct in the poverty assessment of NO. As it is applied in common usage for the economic region, it isn't the case.

-- John

Nematocyst
September 1, 2008, 01:50 AM
My prayers are with all that have to endure this storm, but most importantly my prayers are with all the inconsiderate people that have wished this storm and Katrina would wipe New Orleans, my home, off the map. I pray you understand how you make the people feel that read your negative, hurtful, comments.KK, I wish you the best.

Glad to hear you're leaving NO.

If the worst happens, or even if not,
consider coming on up here to the Pac NW.
We've got lots of room, big mountains, and an impressive ocean.

bogie
September 1, 2008, 02:50 AM
After Katrina, if it looks kinda humid, and the wind is blowing, the media craps their pants, and starts screaming "Hurricane! Run for high ground!"

And hey, everyone knows that, while the folks in South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, etc., can take good care of themselves in a bad situation, the people of New Orleans are as helpless as newborn infants without their government.

Eric F
September 1, 2008, 07:41 AM
So, you are both correct and wrong at the same time-- if that makes sense. In its strictest and narrowest terminology, you are correct in the poverty assessment of NO. As it is applied in common usage for the economic region, it isn't the case.
Cool No big deal Jwarren Terminology is always an issue. Is getting a drink having a beer or is it getting piled?
Well how 'bout that, sounds like the "I call BS" folks owe somebody an apology.
No not really, most called bs based on someone standing in a store while 20 ar's and cases of ammo went out the door. No one called bs on a few gun sales and mixed ammunition purshases.

JWarren
September 1, 2008, 07:55 AM
Cool No big deal Jwarren

Never was, my friend. :)

-- John

ZeSpectre
September 1, 2008, 09:20 AM
Reuters:
"Gustav holdouts turn to guns, knives and God (http://www.reuters.com/article/homepageCrisis/idUSN31354213._CH_.2400)"

The article isn't overly gun related but the headline made me laugh.

lksseven
September 1, 2008, 11:06 AM
JaxNovice,

You seem extremely invested in the flat denial of validity of this story (witness all of your assertions -and in some cases putting words in the guy's mouth that he didn't say - based on ??? ... ). Why?

I'm not claiming the story's true (I have no idea if it's true or not - I wasn't there). Only that I'm curious why someone from Virginia knows/is stating for a fact that it isn't. I'm sure that this question will irritate you, but that's not my intent. Sometimes something seemingly innocuous will push my button, too. I'm just wondering what about this story pushed yours?

hso
September 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
No point in this one going on.

Gustav made landfall west of NOLA as a category 2 hurricane this afternoon.
http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/tropical/map_spectrop04_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

If you're not out of the way of the storm it's too late by now to "stock up".

If you've not evacuated it may be too late. Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Orleans prepares for Gustov!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!