I have a question about Pmags for my unit

PDA

datruth
August 28, 2008, 10:46 PM
I have been the armorer for my unit a while now(US army,active) and have been a firearms enthusiast all my life, and I have a LMT that I have used pmags with and yes I have seen the youtube videos of the pmags and read some articles but I would love to suggest these mags for not my unit for the up coming trip downrange ,am I over stepping my bounds, and are Pmags as good as I think they are. Not an expert of firearms or Special forces or anything just a firearms enthusiast that wants the best for his unit, not to say the standard 30 rounders are no good they have lasted this long right but,you understand what I am trying to say, any help will be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "I have a question about Pmags for my unit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jerkface11
August 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
I've heard that even SAW's will run on PMAG's

threefeathers
August 28, 2008, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure they are authorized, as a retired 19D NCO, I'd darn well check with your first shirt.

exar
August 28, 2008, 11:42 PM
Well, I have some. I do appreciate the lower weight and rust resistant (resistant instead of proof I say, because the springs could still rust) properties.

They are ok but I have to be honest, it may be unfounded, I do prefer the aluminum or steel. The metal ones tend to have less wiggle and more durable, for me anyhow.

I've had really bad experiences with jamming and issues feeding with the majority of crappy plastic mags that I've run across. However, I have used some Sigarms Pmags and so far, so good. I would like to try the Magpul brand Pmags as well. I need to do some serious torture testing before I could feel comfortable enough to trust my life to one. The Sigarms Pmags have been great for plinking though.

Ben Shepherd
August 29, 2008, 12:02 AM
Datruth, check your pm's.

Z-Michigan
August 29, 2008, 12:21 AM
Will the same number of Pmags fit in your soldiers' mag holders as the number of GI aluminum mags that fit? The Pmags are thicker, especially at the base (floorplate).

I have Pmags and like them. But lately I've purchased some Cammenga easymags and they're my #1 choice right now. High strength steel, no plastic whatsoever, they run great in my ARs and appear indestructible. Cammenga's website has videos just like Magpul's website. The Easymags main feature is their slide open/slide closed design, but even without that they are solid mags. CDNN has the best price I've found on them so far.

JoeSlomo
August 29, 2008, 09:27 AM
EVERY polymer mag we have ever tested has eventually cracked, splintered, or broken. Possible contributions are exposure to POL, that eventually wears them down, and exposure to the sun. Polymer mags just don't stand up to what Joe puts them through.

The GI mags are the way to go.

There are improved followers and springs in the system that have been tested and provide improved performance. The NSN's can be found via AKO's PEO Soldier web site.

I'd use the GI mags, and GI mags with the upgraded springs and followers, before I'd use ANY polymer.

bdickens
August 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
Joe will break that which can not be broken. You know trhat.

JoeSlomo
August 31, 2008, 09:25 PM
Joe will break that which can not be broken. You know that.

Yup.

You can make it fireproof, waterproof, shock proof, but you can NOT make it "Joe proof".

Joe can break an anvil...

strambo
August 31, 2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah Joe breaks stuff...but thin aluminum isn't exactly Joe-proof either. Probably better things to spend the $$ on though.

doc2rn
September 1, 2008, 12:58 AM
Murphy aint no picnic either.

wideym
September 1, 2008, 01:57 AM
Instead trying to get authorization for Pmags, just order 10 NEW alloy mags per man in your unit and make sure you get rid of any old mags to keep them from being mixed in with the new.

Mags are an expendible item and you shouldn't have much trouble justifying a thousand or two mags for every man in your unit to deploy with a basic load plus a couple of spares.

onebigelf
September 1, 2008, 08:53 AM
I really love the P-mags. I love the fact that I can load them, snap the covers on and be ready to go when I need them. I have a few and they are my "ready" mags. The rest are C-Products stainless. As someone else already noted, plastic mags have always broken down over time and with UV/petroleum exposure.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "I have a question about Pmags for my unit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!