Tell me about this barrel modification…..

PDA

Gary in Pennsylvania
August 29, 2008, 04:45 PM
Interesting. I like the look of it. Gives it a unique look yet maintains its tough, brawny look…….but I don’t believe it serves a real purpose other than aesthetics. The openings are uni-directional so it wouldn’t aid in taming recoil. Flash suppression? Or just looks?

Anyways…..my other question is how’d it get there????? Is that a sleeved barrel and that has those ‘ports’ milled into it? Or is it a separate threaded piece that is screwed onto the end of the barrel?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about this barrel modification….." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 29, 2008, 04:56 PM
All S&W .500's have sleeved barrels, as do most all the other new S&W's.

I suppose it is threaded to the sleeve.

As for effectiveness, I'd bet if the Performance Center put it on there, it does work very well to tame recoil.

rcmodel

Gary in Pennsylvania
August 29, 2008, 05:01 PM
As for effectiveness, I'd bet if the Performance Center put it on there,

They did. That's how the PC built it.

August 29, 2008, 06:10 PM
The openings are uni-directional so it wouldn’t aid in taming recoil.

Gary, can you explain what you mean by that?

To my untrained eye it looks as if the ports need to be rotated about 5 degrees clockwise but maybe the revolver rotates counter-clockwise (significantly) during recoil in addition to the "typical" recoil. :confused:

Gary in Pennsylvania
August 29, 2008, 06:26 PM
Gary, can you explain what you mean by that?

Good catch!
My Bad!

I meant to say omni-directional.

Basically, port holes shoot down as well as up!

Thanks!

rcmodel
August 29, 2008, 06:26 PM
You nailed it.

The ports are off vertical to counteract the violent twisting motion of the .500's recoil.

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about this barrel modification….." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!