Anyone here a lefty & can't find a holster?

PDA

AjayofCanada
August 29, 2008, 11:29 PM
I live up in Canada and my local shop doesn't carry holsters at all. I did order one online from CopsPlus, now don't get me wrong here, I'm not complaining about them. I find it more ammusing than anything. First it was backordered till Aug 15th, then Aug 22nd, then Aug 29th, now it says Sept 5th LOL, it keeps changng on the following Monday, I called and they keep saying the same robotic answer, they don't know.

Which comes to my question, how long do my fellow lefties have to wait for a holster? Mind you mine is plastic and has taken this long, I can imagine a leather holster, whats that take? I'm new to shooting so I have no idea if holsters take 1 month to make, or 6 months. I probably should mention that I am looking for a good lefty holster for my M&P 40.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone here a lefty & can't find a holster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Josh Aston
August 29, 2008, 11:32 PM
What type of holster are you looking for? Maybe you should cancel your order from CopsPlus and place an order with a different company.

Pawdog
August 29, 2008, 11:34 PM
Don't feel bad....I ordered one from Don Hume on July 11, and was just informed it won't ship until September 26!!!! Being a lefty sucks when it comes to holster purchases!:mad:

For the M&P 40, I have the same gun, and found a leather holster from MidwayUSA last year that fits perfect....I think it was a Bianchi 7 Shadow II, made for a Glock 21 and the MP40......stock # 945851; $47.49, Bianchi 7 Shadow 2 Holster. Really nice holster and fast shipping.

Duke Junior
August 29, 2008, 11:39 PM
Anyone here a lefty & can't find a holster?

Ajay,I am a lefty and the 2 companies I normally use take no longer for us then for right hander's.They are both slow, but good.

http://www.miltsparks.com
http://www.kramerleather.com

Bob R
August 29, 2008, 11:40 PM
I just ordered one from here. (http://www.taurisholsters.com/index.cfm)

I was told it would take 3.5 weeks to get to me, after being built to my specifications. Sure beats the 6 month+ wait when I ordered my Milt Sparks holsters.

When it comes to the well known, big name companies, I don't think left or right makes much of a difference.

bob

pitbullman
August 29, 2008, 11:40 PM
i had luck at the last few gun shows i went to but ya i feel ya us lefties are left in the dark sometimes holsters golf clubs things like that

harmonic
August 29, 2008, 11:43 PM
I've ordered two from comptac and received them within 10 days. I'm a lefty shooter.

Wes Janson
August 29, 2008, 11:48 PM
It can be tough. Particularly if you're carrying something other than a very common, standard pistol. Not much one can do about it though *shrug*.

AjayofCanada
August 30, 2008, 12:07 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I don't feel like the lone lefty shooter anymore :-), the holster I ordered was the Safariland 6358 ALS Fine Tac Concealment Paddle Holster. In response to Pawdog,you mentioned that the Glock 21 and M&P 40 both fit in the Bianchi 7 Shadow II, so it might be possible that holsters that fit the Glock 21 "might" fit my gun as well? It would certainly open up the possibilities of holsters I can shop around for.

Elza
August 30, 2008, 12:23 AM
Another vote for Comp-Tac http://www.comp-tac.com/

Navy joe
August 30, 2008, 01:12 AM
Comp-Tac is good, G-Code also does very good also in actually having a stock of lefty plastic.

loneviking
August 30, 2008, 01:19 AM
I'm a lefty, and my most recent holster came from Simply Rugged. The wait was no longer than for a right handed holster. I expected an 8 week wait for their leather, pancake holster and received it in 5 weeks. Some holsters, such as many of the Uncle Mike nylon holsters, are kept in stock by Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse. My Uncle Mikes shoulder holster was an 'off the shelf' buy at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Sunray
August 30, 2008, 01:31 AM
"...my local shop doesn't carry holsters at all..." That's not unusual. Given the very limited market. You can't use a holster for anything but shooting games or wilderness carry in some Provinces. And only for employment related activities in most of 'em. Where you are, up here, has a lot to do with it.
"...have no idea if holsters take 1 month to make or 6 months..." Takes me about an hour of hand sewing after dying. The dye needs 2 to 4 hours to dry. Depending on what dye I use. Then I wet form. Needless to say, I make my own. So can you. Tandy's sells the how-to books, tools and the leather.
Come by http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/ too.

4v50 Gary
August 30, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm a southpaw and I've no trouble finding holsters for myself. You just have to shop around and then wait as your holster is made.

Jax
August 30, 2008, 02:31 AM
You can try Leather for Lefties (http://www.leatherforlefties.com). They normally have a good selection of lefty holsters in stock.

I can also recommend lefty holsters from Milt Sparks (http://www.miltsparks.com/) or and Matt Del Fatti (http://www.delfatti.com/) - but you'll have to wait for a little while.

JesseL
August 30, 2008, 02:41 AM
I'm a lefty and used to have trouble finding holsters - until I realized that decent leather pretty much had to be special ordered.

I've gotten good holsters from El Paso Saddlery and Desantis, but every order seems to take about 6-10 weeks.

Sackett
August 30, 2008, 03:03 AM
Another lefty here with the M&P (9mm).

I recently signed up for a DH class taught at my local range, and my range store recommended Blade-Tech. Of course they're sold out of the LH M&P holster but the guys at this shop are phenomenal and said they would try to expedite an order for me (along with some other gear I need for for the class).

Interestingly, they said Blade-Tech makes just about anything you ask for- including an M&P holster that will accomodate my M3X Tac-Light. I'm awaiting confirmation that they can get it in time for the class.

Good luck to you. Glad I'm not the only lefty to discover the M&P. It's like it was made for someone in their right mind :)

Oh, and here's Blade-Tech's site: http://www.blade-tech.com/

S.

homeka45
August 30, 2008, 03:29 AM
+1 for comp-tac. They shipped me a lefty holster, mag carriers and gun belt for my Hi-Power via Priority Mail. Unfortunately the Postal Service dropped the ball and a month and a half later I still hadn't received anything. Comp-Tac shipped me a second order free of charge, of course the day after I received it the original order came in.

That kind of customer service is impressive.

I've also found lefty holsters here on THR and on AR15.com's equipment exchange.

Tom Fury
August 30, 2008, 06:03 AM
See them all the time; infuriatingly, numbers I can't seem to find in RH; especially for the 1911 and Sig 226.
Cheers, TF

U.S.SFC_RET
August 30, 2008, 06:49 AM
Thefiringline. Shorts will custom make you a beautiful left handed holster. Top quality.

bdickens
August 30, 2008, 09:12 AM
Another vote for Comp-Tac.

Artiz
August 30, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hey Ajay, I'm from Canada too, I ordered a holster from CopsPlus too, but I contacted them before to see if the holster I was looking for was In/Stock, I do that for all their items because they don't have all that stuff InStock, so I don't have to wait a looooong backorder frustrating time.

CB900F
August 30, 2008, 10:16 AM
Ajay;

Another heavy left side here. And another recommendation for Milt Sparks. I've been carrying in an Exec's companion for 11 years, same holster. I need to order another one, but no big rush, this one's still got a couple of years left in it. The G-D belt keeps shrinking though!

Here's some alternatives that I've used over the years that have done excellent work at a fair price with good turn-around times:
Idaho Leather Co. 18 South Orchard, Boise Idaho 83705 (208)344-2602. I had them make a field carry rig for a Blackhawk in about 1974, it's still going strong in great shape.

Montana Chaps & Gunleather, Norm Schertenleib, 152 Sun Meadows Rd., Great Falls Montana 59404 (406)965-2253. I just had him make a cross-draw field rig for me. Excellent work, total custom build, top quality leather, $200.00. Norm's just getting into concealment type leather though, he's mostly been western rigs. He got out of saddle making after 20 years in that & into gun leather so he could start eating regularly.

900F

DRYHUMOR
August 30, 2008, 06:21 PM
Try El Paso Saddlery, they have a website, nice stuff, handmade.

oneounceload
August 30, 2008, 06:42 PM
for NON-leather holsters, I like Uncle Mike's - they usually have a LH version of almost every model they make - I have 1/2 dozen fro revolvers and semis, IWB, hip, OWB, and they work just fine, are available everywhere and don't cost a fortune....oh yeah, did I mention they WORK?

Glockman17366
August 31, 2008, 09:40 AM
Bought two left hand holsters for my 3.06" barreled Ruger SP101 this year.
The IWB holster only took a few weeks, but the OWB Double Nine took 3 months.
I guess Hume make some holsters when they have enough orders to justify the manufacturing set up costs.

Bummer is, I wasn't born left handed. I shoot left handed as a result of a stroke that limited use of my right hand.

ZeSpectre
August 31, 2008, 09:56 AM
Southpaw here. Sometimes I have trouble, sometimes it's easy.
The funny thing is I am a strong advocate of learning to shoot "all four"
-Strong hand single handed
-Strong hand double handed
-Weak hand single handed
-Weak hand double handed

So as a result there are actually pistols I carry on the right side (weird, I know).

As for the MP, our own Coronach had this to say (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3727235&postcount=2) a while ago...

Glock 20/21 holsters carry it fine, with one caveat: make sure that the gun will not slide too far into the holster, as this can cause the mag release to be tripped. Most holsters won't allow this, and on the ones that will, there is usually a tensioning screw that you can adjust to make sure it doesn't happen.

Mike

Guy de Loimbard
September 5, 2008, 03:23 PM
+1 for El Paso Saddlery. I ordered a strong side select, on July 29th. It came in the mail earlier today. It is very comfortable and holds the gun securely, and I was surprised it got here so fast; their website says there is a 6-8 week wait.

Sistema1927
September 5, 2008, 08:13 PM
I'm a lefty and used to have trouble finding holsters - until I realized that decent leather pretty much had to be special ordered.

+1

It used to be that I would first buy some cheap ambi nylon holster whenever I bought a new handgun. Then I would settle on some compromise left handed leather holster. Finally I would order what I want, custom made. This strategy has left me with a huge box full of extra holsters.

Do yourself a favor, and order something custom from one of the quality manufacturers.

blooeyesguy
September 6, 2008, 01:58 AM
I'm a lefty that usually has to special order my holsters. Only gotten lucky twice on leather. I'm currently waiting 4-6 weeks on a left handed belt holster for the Kahr T9 from Kirkpatrick Leather. Nothing in stock anywhere I can find, including Fobus.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone here a lefty & can't find a holster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!