Pick my choke tubes for me, please.

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 30, 2008, 02:51 AM
Going dove hunting Monday. My CZ SxS came with 5 choke tubes. Which combination would you pick for left bbl and right bbl for doves?

Those are the 10 possible combinations where the right tube is tighter than the left.

Right now, planning on running with Cylinder - Modified (choice #2), but I'm open to suggestions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pick my choke tubes for me, please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
August 30, 2008, 04:21 AM
Go to a range tomorrow and pattern the various chokes with your load of choice at the ranges you expect to take most shots.

Dave McCracken
August 30, 2008, 10:47 AM
How high is up?

In your shoes, I'd stick in IC and Mod and take along a couple others.

Use trap loads, need less choke for a given shot. Use cheap "Dove" loads, another increment may be needed.

I use trap loads and work around a LM choke mostly.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 31, 2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys - before I comment, anyone else have a vote?

No time to get to the range before tomorrow with this new (-ish) gun.

Dave, what's "LM"?

chas08
August 31, 2008, 05:36 PM
Just in case Dave don't get back to you before tommorrow. Its Light Modified, a great choke for dove and duck .:)

Hornet 6
August 31, 2008, 05:42 PM
1/4 and 1/2 for everything was the norm before multi chokes.
I still stay with that for game in the warmer weather, 1/4 and 3/4 in winter, when ducks are on the agenda.
For sporting clays, 1/4 and 1/2 on unknown shoots, or where I know everything will be within 40 yards, 1/4 and 1/4 and 7 1/2 shot, works well for decoyed pigeons as well.

Neil. :)

45crittergitter
August 31, 2008, 05:45 PM
Me, I'd buy a skeet choke for the left bbl and shoot skeet/IC. For Monday, take a Cyl, an IC, a Mod, and your wrench...

If you enjoyed reading about "Pick my choke tubes for me, please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!