Question about Illinois and suppressors

PDA

Marcus84
August 30, 2008, 03:46 AM
At a gun store I visit they're selling a Sig with a suppressor and they have 2 other suppressors for sale as well. If suppressors are illegal in this state then how/why are they selling them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Illinois and suppressors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Duke Junior
August 30, 2008, 04:08 AM
If suppressors are illegal in this state then how/why are they selling them?

Good question:

http://www.major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_045.htm

Don Gwinn
August 30, 2008, 04:20 AM
What did they say when you asked?

My guess might be something like:

1. They're there for law enforcement and military agencies that can buy them legally in Illinois, not for peasants like you, or

2. They're not real; a lot of kids think it's cool to put a fake can on a swoopy tactical gun.

It's also possible that they're violating state law, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion without at least asking them.

Marcus84
August 30, 2008, 04:35 AM
So they make fake suppressors? That might explain it since it's only a Sig Mosquito. I may go back tomorrow if I do I'll ask them.

Jeff White
August 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
Don,
LE in Illinois can't possess suppressors either. I think the only people in IL who can have them are military, feds, and dealers and manufacturers.

Jeff

damien
August 31, 2008, 12:23 AM
They're fake. I have one of the fakeish GSG-5's with a fake can on it. You screw it off, the barrel goes right through it with no baffles or holes in it. The suppressors on the SIG Mosquitos works the exact same way. The GSG-5 sounds just like every other .22 rifle I have shot.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/gsg-5-mp5-in-22-lr/

Don Gwinn
August 31, 2008, 01:07 PM
Jeff, seriously? Individual officers, I get, but departments?

Mind you, I don't really mind that my local department can't have suppressed AR's in .300 Whisper, since I can't have one and it's OK with me if they make a little noise if they have to shoot. But if they could have one, and I could have one, I'd be OK with that. We could all go shoot quietly together.

Marcus, yeah, fake cans are all over. I never really got the appeal, but I guess it's no different than a wall-hanger sword-shaped object, and I've owned a few of those.

crotalus01
August 31, 2008, 05:32 PM
I asked the same thing once, why in the world anyone would want a fake can. Now that I own a M11/9 I completely understand in some cases - the thing is a beast in full auto, you really need some kind of barrel extension to control it. Fortunately I live in a state where NFA is allowed, so all my cans are real...

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Illinois and suppressors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!