Why can't folks follow the rules?

PDA

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 08:58 AM
Seems there is always a newbie or lately even some "experienced" members not following the rules. WE DONT DO POLITICAL threads here. But yet so many folks seem to think we do. APS is the place for this just go there and start that thread. seems like every day for the past 2 months some one has started a Oboma thread or even the shoe spamer hits. Please can we just stick to shooting and guns? If I wanted politics I could turn on CNN or MSNBC.

Thanks Folks
Eric F

If you enjoyed reading about "Why can't folks follow the rules?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loneviking
August 30, 2008, 08:59 AM
What is 'APS'? I've seen it in several posts but always just the initials...

Walkalong
August 30, 2008, 09:03 AM
Why can't folks follow the rules?It is just the nature of the beast. ;)

SCKimberFan
August 30, 2008, 09:05 AM
APS = Armed & Polite Society. The sister site to this for political and societal issues.

Why can't folks follow the rules?

And then they complain because it was locked...

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 09:10 AM
look in the upper right hand corner and click on it.

SCPigpen
August 30, 2008, 09:26 AM
Some people are special & the rules don't apply to them. :barf:

yokel
August 30, 2008, 09:26 AM
As the Founding Fathers who wrote the Second Amendement understood so well, politics and organised armed violence are essentially one and the same. (Such is the rhetorical impact of Clausewitz’s oft-repeated claim that war is a continuation of politics “by other means.)

SaxonPig
August 30, 2008, 09:58 AM
Maybe there are too many rules?

Since politics is such a major issue with gun owners maybe a political discussion forum is in order? Everyone seems pretty polite around here so I bet it wouldn't be a problem.

230RN
August 30, 2008, 10:03 AM
"Rules are for those who don't understand the underlying principles involved." --230RN, ca 1983

GRB
August 30, 2008, 10:38 AM
But yet we can discuss LEGAL things here as they apply to firearms. Barack Obama's, or any politician's, stance on the 2nd amendment, and what they plan to do with the legal system to protect or deny our rights could certainly belong in the Legal forum could it not?

TexasRifleman
August 30, 2008, 10:39 AM

Click the link on the upper right corner of EVERY PAGE of THR.

APS IS THE POLITICS FORUM FOR THR

Same server, same mods mostly, same owner, same members......

The only difference is you don't get to drive your post count on THR up when you post on APS. Who cares....

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 11:09 AM
*sigh*
Since politics is such a major issue with gun owners maybe a political discussion forum is in order? Everyone seems pretty polite around here so I bet it wouldn't be a problem.

yeah its called APS!:banghead:

Drgong
August 30, 2008, 11:37 AM
Yet I had a moderator lock many of my non-political threads for "well, it would give anti-gunners ammo", that he/she feels the answer for "guns for X" is always the same, and so on. I recall one in particular where I asked what gun would be best for a situation that I showed in my OP happens at least once every ten years and the mod locked it even though many of the posters where saying "Glad we will be able to talk about something that really can happen" and getting a good conversation going. It got locked and the one mod just brushed it off as "Too bad".

Political threads SHOULD be locked, but there is a got of gagging of good non-political, gun related conversation by a particular mod.

Anyways, that is my .02 lira.

searcher451
August 30, 2008, 12:06 PM
Isn't this a de facto political thread about the problem with people offering up ... political threads? Or am I missing something here? :)

SCKimberFan
August 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
No, this is a discussion of why some posters can't follow rules when posting on this forum. :p

Floppy_D
August 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
How is this gun related?

:D

SCKimberFan
August 30, 2008, 12:13 PM
The OP mentioned guns in his post. :p

Drgong
August 30, 2008, 12:16 PM
Not trying to be Poltical, but the Talon 200 is a dangerous gun.

Gun related ;)

yeti
August 30, 2008, 12:18 PM
THR rules say no political threads, rules are made to be broken, so some people post political threads, THR mods enforce THR rules and lock the offending threads. The circle of life, it's a beautiful thing.

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
Not trying to be Poltical, but the Talon 200 is a dangerous gun.

Gun related
yes but wrong thread......oops

JackBurtonJr
August 30, 2008, 01:14 PM
How is this gun related?

The OP mentioned guns in his post.

Hmmmm... my OP and headline specifically mentioned a video with a hot chick shooting a true "assualt rifle" and it got shut down for being "political."

scrat
August 30, 2008, 01:20 PM
ya well this thread like others maybe locked too.

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 01:26 PM
hot chick shooting well there you go, while not seeming political from which you say the mods here are firm on locking "locker room" like pics and subjects.
ya well this thread like others maybe locked too. maybe bun none the less lets just follow the rules keep political subjects spam "hot chicks" non shooting/gun related news clippings out of THR. And yes just because the article has shooting in the subject material does not mean it belongs here. Look already today 2 threads locked and 1 deleted more folks not following the rules..............I should step off the soap box now.......thanks for reading.

JackBurtonJr
August 30, 2008, 01:35 PM
well there you go, while not seeming political from which you say the mods here are firm on locking "locker room" like pics and subjects.

I wasn't aware that the Governor of Alaska performing her role as Commander of the National Guard could be referred to as a "locker room" type person but I guess it's all in one's perspective. :neener:

[She is a "hot chick" though.]

wyocarp
August 30, 2008, 01:45 PM
I'm surprised that we couldn't just be left to look at the threads that we have an interest in.

TexasRifleman
August 30, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm surprised that we couldn't just be left to look at the threads that we have an interest in.

Because there is more going on than just me and you and what we want to look at.

The owner of the site decided that having vile political arguments here did not promote a good image of the pro 2A movement.

I can't find anything wrong with that decision.

Zedo
August 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
RKBA is a politcal act.

Posting on an internet forum about RKBA is a political act.

Your posting in the internet that this site is "not political" and "people need to follow the rules" is a political act.

Selective mediation of the site content is a political act.

Selective mediation is censorship. Censorship is fascism -- and it's POLITICAL.

-- and so before you get into composing a rejoinder to this post, please realize that such discursive exchange is ineluctably "political."

It's sorta like trying to separate the water out of swimming.

GhostlyKarliion
August 30, 2008, 02:16 PM
The owner of the site decided that having vile political arguments here did not promote a good image of the pro 2A movement.

I can't find anything wrong with that decision

that decision is one of the reasons that this is the only 2A forum I will visit.

Mrs. Armoredman
August 30, 2008, 02:31 PM
Eric F it's called going in one ear and out the other.

Aaryq
August 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
We're up to the second page and Justin hasn't come in to ruin the fun. I'm impressed. Someone, quick, write a story about zombies so it can stay open...or at least post some rules about when zombies can and cannot be mentioned on THR.

ASM826
August 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
It about complaining about people who don't follow the rules. It needs to be moved, locked, or deleted.:barf:

JackBurtonJr
August 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
We're up to the second page and Justin hasn't come in to ruin the fun. I'm impressed. Someone, quick, write a story about zombies so it can stay open...or at least post some rules about when zombies can and cannot be mentioned on THR.

Would anyone here vote for a zombie for president if he (or she) was sufficiently pro-2nd Amendment?

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 02:58 PM
It about complaining about people who don't follow the rules. It needs to be moved, locked, or deleted.
:banghead::banghead::banghead: no! its about following rules of THR

jakemccoy
August 30, 2008, 03:00 PM
Eric F,

Are you a moderator? If not, then I'd much rather see a political thread than another member starting a brand new thread merely to police other members. This forum already has plenty of mod's to shut down a thread 10 times over. If you are a mod, then a label under your user name would help - not my fault for the mistaken identification.

-Jake

SaxonPig
August 30, 2008, 03:07 PM
I was unaware of the APS feature.

Objection withdrawn.

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 03:10 PM
Loosen up...this is just a fun discussion about THR

Jakemccoy I must say I am not a mod nor am I policeing any one.(sorry you take it that way) I am just having a discussion with other members. In this discussion I am just pointing out several subjects that the mods/rules say are out of bounds for this forum. And you bring up an interesting point on seniority. How do you figure you are senior to me? Sign on date I am guessing? Some go by number of posts. If it were by hours spent on THR I dare say I would have some folks beat that have been members for years. Just a thought. But If not, then I'm senior member to you, so listen up.
has no bearing on me listening any more or less than a member that signed up today.

Did I mention they dont like walmart threads here:neener:

Zedo
August 30, 2008, 03:19 PM
I have a gun sitting on my computer desk while I read these forums. Most of the time it doesn't get in the way of my typing. It's a Smith, 629, 4" bbl. 44 mag. It's loaded.

I'm following the rules about gun safety, and about posting "political" stuff in here . . . pretty much . . .

BINGO!

It's a thread about guns . . . :what:

scrat
August 30, 2008, 03:23 PM
problem with this thread is none of the people who are posting useless threads are on here. i mean i really know what you mean. especially with all the political threads, the pillow thread. im not shopping for a new pillow if i was i wouldnt be on here. Same time if i wanted to talk politics i would not be on here either. I guess people need to respect the forum.

Zedo
August 30, 2008, 03:29 PM
problem with this thread is none of the people who are posting useless threads are on here. i mean i really know what you mean. especially with all the political threads, the pillow thread. im not shopping for a new pillow if i was i wouldnt be on here. Same time if i wanted to talk politics i would not be on here either. I guess people need to respect the forum.

Posting on the internet using "vernacular non-standard 'cyber' English" is a prime example of "not following the rules" and pretty "political."

tblt
August 30, 2008, 03:58 PM
Obama who ????????

gyp_c2
August 30, 2008, 04:13 PM
We're up to the second page and Justin hasn't come in to ruin the fun. I'm impressed. Someone, quick, write a story about zombies so it can stay open...

...probably because he actually goes out and shoots...I'm sure someone will be along to help with this, I'm out the door to the mountains...have fun... http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

Zedo
August 30, 2008, 04:43 PM
Quote:
How is this gun related?
+1

IBTL

OK, pay attention -- This is a gun forum. The forum is about guns. The forum also has rules. The rules apply to the gun forum. A discussion about the rules on the gun forum is about guns -- and I typed this with a 44 magnum sitting on my desk.

There are guns about where I typed this post. So the thread is "about guns."

Yes, as a matter of fact, argumentative rhetoric is something I do for a living.

:neener: :neener: :neener:

Happiness Is A Warm Gun
August 30, 2008, 05:05 PM
So why isn't this "no gun" thread locked already?

Irony = someone not following the rules to create a thread in which to complain about people not following the rules.

Eric F
August 30, 2008, 05:09 PM
So why isn't this "no gun" thread locked already?
My guess is there have been some threads that are THR related and allowed. After all THR is gun related and not political, spam, walmart, ect. ect.

Why would you lock a thread about THR rules on THR?

Since this thread started there have been 2 threads locked 1 thread deleted and 3 other mods have made posts in this section. I am only guessing but I could only assume atleast one has looked at this thread. Maybe some one will come along and lock this thread, no big deal to me, I just wanted to help out and put a reminder member to member about the rules..........I didnt think so many folks would harp on that........madness I say.........madness

Aaryq
August 30, 2008, 08:33 PM
Bump for great justice

(I love this thread)

Drgong
August 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rma/lowres/rman742l.jpg

Larry Ashcraft
August 30, 2008, 09:56 PM
Let me post this once and see if you can get it.

Zombie (and SHTF, and generally all other fantasy threads) are closed regularly here.

However, it has long been a custom at THR to allow members to post their attempts at creative writing for constructive criticism here.

That is the difference. Live with it.

ASM826
August 30, 2008, 11:24 PM
Per request, here's an attempt at creative writing. Love or hate it, it is an honest attempt. My son and his friends tried to write a zombie story when he was in high school. They had written themselves, and me, into the story and when they gave me what they had, I added this:

Chapter 8 Ayden

County Home Road was deserted. Mark pulled the truck to a stop on an open stretch where he could see across the fields in all directions. He pulled the tire iron out from under the seat and got out. With a few quick blows he smashed the rest of the windshield and pulled the broken remainder from the truck. After scanning in all directions, he did the same to the back window.
Zombies. A part of him had to laugh. Greenville, and probably the rest of the country overrun by zombies. No way to really know, all you could do was fight where you stood. So far they had done pretty well. Getting to the gun safe had made all the difference.
He got back in and looked at Paul. Paul sat looking out, gripping the Browning shotgun. The floor held the remainder of the shells they had. Maybe three hundred left. Mostly bird shot, but they sure did the job at close range. A half dozen loaded magazines for the .45 sat on the console. Another five hundred rounds sat in boxes. Joe had the AR, and all the ammo they had for that. Mark would of felt better with the rifle, but what could not be helped had to be dealt with.
They pulled away, on a beautiful sunlit afternoon, headed into Ayden. As they came into the populated section, they started to attract attention. Driving fast, they crossed the tracks and came up in front of their destination. The store was intact. A few dozen zombies had stopped their aimless wandering and were headed toward them. Mark backed up, lined up on the front of the building and drove through the double doors. An explosion of glass and metal surrounded them. The radiator burst. He backed up, using the truck to block the new opening, shut off the truck and got out.
“Let them get close, then one by one. Keep that shotgun loaded. I’m right behind you. Holler if there are too many,” Mark shouted as he moved into the store. He was focused, making sure the back of the building was empty, listening to the steady boom of the shotgun, and starting to collect what they had come for.
Glancing out the window, he realized that the immediate threat would have to be addressed. Grabbing a pump shotgun and a case of shells, he joined Paul at the entrance. It really was way easier than shooting clay pigeons. The zombies came straight at you. Mostly slow, sometimes running, but straight in. A few minutes and the street was clear.
They kept an eye on the front of the building, and started collecting. All the military rifles, all the ammo and magazines. All the shotguns, all the ammo. All the 1911 .45’s, all the ammo and magazines. All the full sized Glocks, all the ammo and magazines. Flashlights. Knifes. It all sat in a pile in front of the ruined truck.
Armed with an AR and a .45, and wearing as many loaded magazines as his belt would hold, Mark felt a little better. Paul still had a shotgun; he had added two holstered pistols and a vest full of loaded magazines.
“Time for a new truck, and we need to get back to the kids,” Mark said as he scanned the street. It was empty at the moment. “Cover me, and don't shoot me unless I get bit. I’m going across to the fire department and look for a truck.”
Mark moved out, moving steadily, still scanning all directions. The main door on the front of the fire station was up. The brightness of the afternoon made the interior of the building seem dark. As he entered, he slid toward the corner and waited at a crouch for his eyes to adjust. Two of the bays were empty. The only truck was obviously the older pumper truck. It looked like a 1965 or 1966 model. Mark moved up and checked the cab. The keys sat in the ignition.
The sound of movement behind him brought a rush of adrenaline. He rolled backwards into the cab, bring up the rifle. He had all the slack taken out of the trigger when he got a clear picture if his target. It was not a zombie.
“Don't shoot, don't shoot!” The target disappeared onto the floor. Mark released the trigger and looked out of the cab. The guy was shaking, but unhurt. He stood up and extended his hand.
“My name’s Billy. I was on duty when this started. They left me to watch the station when the calls came in. No one ever came back. I've been hiding here. They like zombies, like in the movies, aren't they?”
“I’m Mark. Yes, they’re zombies, or close enough. Greenville’s overrun. It seems like they collect in groups, hunting regular people. There’s a group of survivors, or at least there were, in Greenville. I came here for ammo and weapons, but my truck is ruined, and this looks like my best option. Can you run the pumps?”
“Yes, they run off the motor. Eighty gallons a minute, a seven hundred gallon tank.”
“Ok, I can drive. You man the pump. I've got an idea. We’re going to need more than guns, I think. We have to pick up my friend Paul and our weapons, and then we are going to make one more stop.”
The old pumper started and ran with the sound of a well maintained machine. Dumping out the hoses from the back, they loaded everything they had collected from the store. Mark went back in the store and picked up two small boxes from the ammo display and slipped them into the cargo pocket of his trousers. Paul climbed up on top with Billy and after a stop at the gas station they headed back out into the country.

Chapter 9. Last Stand at Fort Henry

Joe sat on the roof. He didn't have a name for it, but he felt it. He was in the zone. He knew exactly how many rounds he had left. He had ten magazines full, stacked by his side, and eight rounds left in the rifle. He only shot when a zombie tried to enter the front of the store where the truck had opened the wall. He wasted no ammo on the milling herd that wandered on E vans street. As he lined up a shot, he wondered if his dad was still a human, and if he was going to come back in time to prevent what was now inevitable.
There was no way to get out. Too many zombies had gathered. Joe estimated more than five hundred had surrounded the building, and many more could be seen in the distance. Joe made his decision. He would continue his defense until he had one magazine left, then go downstairs and make sure that he and his friends never became zombies.
Four magazines later, he heard the firing in the distance. The steady boom of a shotgun, punctuated by the crack of a rifle. Then an old fire truck, running fast, came into view. It plowed over the zombies like a wave. John’s dad stood braced, side by side with a stranger, firing steadily at any zombies that tried to climb onto the truck. The windshield was gone, and Joe looked in to see his dad firing a pistol at a zombie that tried to come up over the hood. The truck slid to a stop.
“Now, Billy, now!”
Billy flipped the levers and charged the pumper. He stood up and opened the nozzle. The truck moved forward, spraying the crowd of zombies, bowling them over. Billy worked the nozzle, spraying everything in sight, down both sides of the building, and as far as the spray would reach up and down the street.
“It won't help, Dad! Knocking them down won't help. There’s too many! Get the hell out of here!” Joe shouted.
Mark looked up, and Joe saw a strange sight. He saw his dad smile.
“When you see me fire, get the hell down!” Mark shouted back.
The fire truck roared in reverse back up Evans Street. It stopped about 300 yards back. Paul and Billy firing rhythmically in all directions. Mark reached in and took out a shell from his pocket. He took the flare pistol off the seat, loaded and fired in one motion, then dropped below the window onto the floor.
The smell of the gasoline fumes reached Joe just before he saw his dad fire a flare up toward the crowd of zombies. Joe dropped below the roof line, and rolled hard against the wall, as the world erupted in flames. A wave of heat rolled over him and he held his breath as long as he could. He heard the sound of rifle fire and raised his head back up.
As the flames died down, the fire truck was moving back up the street. All three of the men were firing steadily, finishing off the remaining zombies. Joe went back to his self assigned job, ensuring that nothing entered the front of the store. When the rifles and shotguns fell silent, Joe looked over at the truck.
“Damn, old man, damn. What the hell?”
“We pumped out the water, filled the tank with a mix of gas and diesel. I didn't dare light it like a flamethrower, so we improvised. I told you I'd be back. Semper Fi.”
“Yea, well, I've got less than 2 magazines left.” Joe thought about how close it had been and then shoved the thought away. What happened, happened. What didn't happen, didn't.
“Bring out your survivors. I can arm everyone. I've got cases of ammo. We need to find a grocery store, and a hardware store, and then Paul and I have got a plan. We've got to get off the mainland. If we stay here, eventually we'll lose. I’m thinking Okracoke, we can sail out there. Even if it’s infested, we can clear it. There can't be more than a few hundred people out there.” Mark paused to shoot several times. Billy joined in.
“Chon, Joe, we can't stay here, let’s try to set sail before dark.”:evil:

camslam
August 31, 2008, 12:02 AM
Seems there is always a newbie or lately even some "experienced" members not following the rules. WE DONT DO POLITICAL threads here. But yet so many folks seem to think we do. APS is the place for this just go there and start that thread.

I haven't started a "political" thread, but I have seen plenty that were closed and I for one understand why people open them up and start them. Out of general respect as to the wishes of the owner of the site, I try to follow the rules. But there are reasons I think we should discuss political items here.

1. Politics, especially in 08 with what we are facing have A DIRECT EFFECT on our gun rights and what we will have for gun rights in the future.

2. There are some here that strictly want to only talk about the function, make, caliber, usefulness, brand, and other utilitarian functions of guns. Good for them. I would submit those that don't want political topics even brought up, don't understand or don't care about the political threats facing gun ownership in this country. It is because of "political" topics that you either have your gun rights to enjoy, or are missing them because you live in a decidedly anti-gun area. Those people complaining about "political" threads, also probably drive in the left lane of the freeway and go 55 or 65 mph, because they are making sure to enforce the rules for everyone. :cuss:

3. This is a gun site, APS is not. It seems it is more of lounge to discuss plenty of things besides guns. Leading to....

4. It is gun owners, their actions, their activism, and their passion that will keep our gun rights safe. Therefore I would submit, since most of us are gun owners and care enough to get in and voice our opinions, our experience, and our ideas regarding guns and their use, I would think THIS would be an appropriate place to do that, ESPECIALLY with what we are facing in the coming 4 to 5 years.

I will continue to abide by the rules, but I will read most of the "policital" threads that keep popping up, because the information in them is usually valuable, important, relevant to my ownership of guns, and educational.

JMHO - Flame away!

Aaryq
August 31, 2008, 12:09 AM
Well said, camslam. You're about on the same page as me...though I know others on this site will have some bad heartburn about it.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun
August 31, 2008, 12:31 AM
I agree with you camslam 100% however....

THR is a private site. It is owned by the owners and enforced by the mods.

I understand if mods do close down political threads.

Personally I wish they would allow RKBA related poli threads but if they never do I think THR is to great of a resource to get upset over.

jakemccoy
August 31, 2008, 03:10 AM
Allowing political discussions is a double edged sword. Initially, such a forum would provide thoughtful discussion. Eventually, the forum would attract all kinds of different yahoos who enter into discussions with zero facts and heavy emotions. These people have a knack for dividing and conquering any thread they decide to take over. There's no real way to stifle a person from talking just because the person is a moron. In the end, morons will rule political discussions and the site will suffer.

Personally, I like the idea of the Activism forum that already exists. You can frame political discussions in the context of "here's what we're doing right now", rather than in a useless bitch and moan session. The Activism forum keeps the bitches and the moaners away where they belong. When I go over to the Activism forum, it's like stepping out into the real world on the Internet. I'm forced to step up, shut up or get out.

Anyway, I still don't like the idea of a member starting this thread to police other members.

Mandirigma
August 31, 2008, 03:31 AM
ASM826, thats just not right, I've seen zombie stories without an ending (almost come to expect it) but not yet one without a beginning!!!

ASM826
August 31, 2008, 03:41 PM
ASM826, thats just not right, I've seen zombie stories without an ending (almost come to expect it) but not yet one without a beginning!!!

Mandirigma,
I have the beginning, I even have the ending. I like the fire truck used as a zippo, though, thought of it myself. I posted these chapters here since this thread shows no sign of being locked. Where should I post the whole thing?
Once we got armed up in my chapters, my son really ran with it.:D

Exposure
August 31, 2008, 04:25 PM
Eric F- said

Seems there is always a newbie or lately even some "experienced" members not following the rules. WE DONT DO POLITICAL threads here. But yet so many folks seem to think we do. APS is the place for this just go there and start that thread. seems like every day for the past 2 months some one has started a Oboma thread or even the shoe spamer hits. Please can we just stick to shooting and guns? If I wanted politics I could turn on CNN or MSNBC.

Thanks Folks
Eric F

The irony, it hurts!

Blacky
August 31, 2008, 04:33 PM
That's why we take 'The High Road'

blackcash88
August 31, 2008, 05:42 PM
Who died and made the OP a "moderator"? :rolleyes:

TRGRHPY
August 31, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hey, Eric, Perhaps one of the problems is that in the stickies, it specifically states that political discussions be made in Legal and Political (L & P), while there is nothing stating what the tiny APS in the top corner is about. Wouldn't it make sense to see if there is a reason why people are doing what they are? Granted some don't care either way which probably won't change unless you axe 'em. But the APS in the upper right corner is very inconspicuous and the only thing stated about political tells you to post on Legal. I only found out what APS was because Jeff told me.

Nolo
August 31, 2008, 07:20 PM
Heads up!
Mods don't just lock threads because they're political.
They lock them for various reasons, like even when they just know that the thread will start a debate that will shove everybody off the high road.
Or when it's just boring and everyone's seen/heard/watched it a million times already.

And, finally.
Mods are human.
I still don't know why they closed a certain thread of mine. But it doesn't matter. Complaining about it won't help. Either ask them what was wrong with your thread and try and fix it in a new one or just go with the flow.
It ain't the end of the world if your thread gets locked. Hell, for many of us, it usually ain't even the OP's fault.

dalepres
August 31, 2008, 07:31 PM
I don't understand why members can't be members and let mods be mods. If there's a thread you don't like, don't read it or participate in it. If there's a thread the mods don't like, they can lock or delete it. So what exactly is the point of this thread? Audition for mod?

john1911
August 31, 2008, 07:37 PM
Well, I would think this is the time to bring the issues before gun owners. Why not allow 2A/political relevant threads? After the election clamp down on them.

I personally prefer the political threads to some of the mediocre attempts at creative writing that appear in some topics.

dalepres
August 31, 2008, 07:42 PM
I haven't started a "political" thread, but I have seen plenty that were closed and I for one understand why people open them up and start them. Out of general respect as to the wishes of the owner of the site, I try to follow the rules. But there are reasons I think we should discuss political items here.

I know what you mean, camslam. Sometimes something happens in the world that I just want to shout it out and to shout about the stupidity of it. That's why I get caught up sometimes in political threads. Or I read a political thread and have my response fully formulated in my mind before I get to the bottom and realize, disappointedly, that the thread has already been locked.

So I joined APS and TheFiringLine. Both have political sections.

Justin
August 31, 2008, 07:55 PM
We're up to the second page and Justin hasn't come in to ruin the fun. I'm impressed.

I've been busy the last few days shooting the Mile High Showdown and preparing for the Rocky Mountain 3 Gun match at the Whittington Center.

However, if you'd like to start a thread that's off-topic, overly vitriolic, in violation of our code of conduct or generally devoid of anything useful or creative, I'll happily lock it for you.

streakr
August 31, 2008, 08:01 PM
because they're [____]?

s

Sylvan-Forge
August 31, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'm not indicating bloodlust fictional scenarios, or traditionally accepted literary endevours, more along the lines of gun humor, silly gun topics .. basically non-reality just for fun stuff.

Present a civil, peaceable and friendly image of gun owners to the world

With the above quote in mind in regards to fun fictionals, what's your opinion on what qualifies as an acceptable thread on THR?

230RN
August 31, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hey! I didn't realize there was a detriment to having either a low post count or a high post count! :eek:

Never paid attention to it.

I wonder if I can have Derek Zeanah reset my post count to a "moderate" number and thereby garner the respect and adulation I properly deserve. :rolleyes:

ASM826
September 1, 2008, 12:23 AM
What's low? 20, 50... 200?

And what's high? Not that I'm there, I'm sure, but it would be nice to know.

RancidSumo
September 1, 2008, 12:34 AM
I haven't been here very long but from what I remember, there was a political forum here ~8months ago but people just couldn't seem to keep on the high road when discussing politics so Legal & Political was changed to just legal. Seems reasonable to me that if people can't keep it HR then it won't be discussed here.

230RN
September 1, 2008, 01:45 AM
"And what is Low and High in absolute numbers

What's low? 20, 50... 200?"

Heck, I wasn't defining it. I hear about "high" and "low" post counts and I figured Derek Zeanah would know.

Just as long as I can get the respect and adulation I properly deserve. :rolleyes:

(One of the most significant and well-thought-out posts I ever saw on this board was post #21 by one member. I only know the person's post count because someone remarked on it.)

Guns. Rifling. Sectional Density. Reloading. Sorting by headstamp. There. That should do it.

Eric F
September 1, 2008, 09:18 AM
Exposure dalepres
PM's sent

Why attack me for bringing up an issue at THR?

There is some good discussion here.......perhaps it will lead to some changes. I see this thread as a way for the mods to see what the membership wants.

Gee wiz lighten up will ya?

hso
September 1, 2008, 09:36 AM

You'da thought so. Especially here at THR.

Unfortunately the Politics subforum became such a cesspool that it was eliminated. Members who otherwise conducted themselves with minimal civility and reason became monkey poo throwing loons. There were many who tried to carry on political discussions in good form, but every thread derailed with the piles of vitriol that were heaped upon them.

So, after several attempts to have civil well reasoned political discussions on THR the whole idea was discarded as being impossible. Even here.

What did we do instead? Well we directed folks that just wanted to talk to APS and created Activism for folks that wanted to accomplish something. Scope for threads and posts in Activism is very narrow and moderation is very strict. Want to post a "FYI" thread? Nope. Want to post a "I hate" thread? Nope. Want to post about a course of action you've tried that worked on behalf of RKBA or a plan for a course of action you reasonably think will work on behalf of RKBA? Yep, that'll fly in Activism. Could it involve a political issue? Sure, but the complaining and rhetoric we see in political threads won't be tolerated. What did you do, how did you do it, how do we do it too in support of RKBA is always welcome.

csmkersh
September 1, 2008, 10:52 AM
The old High Road did allow political discussion. The place was Legal and Political. The Wayback machine shows us this front page from 2004.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030227224519/http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?s=

ASM826
September 1, 2008, 01:20 PM
Since my original question has been answered, I can reply properly.

I agree with the OP, it would be nice if people followed the rules. If everyone followed the rules, police departments would be unnecessary. Laws would be obeyed. Weapons would be unnecessary, there would be no crime.

And in a very narrow sense, there would be no need for moderators of web forums, the site owner could post his rules and every visitor would follow them.

Since this is not the case, guns exist, police exist, and moderators exist. The thing I found so amusing about this thread was that it broke the very rule it was discussing. The reason everyone wants to post in General Gun Discussions is that they know everyone looks there, and so their thought or comment get the larger readership. I have taken the time to reply here, but doubt that many THR members will see my words here. People don't want to go to another site, and they want to discuss the issues of the day with their fellow gunnies, so they post, knowing their threads will be locked, but at least someone will see them. Same as the OP of this thread.:scrutiny:

TimboKhan
September 2, 2008, 03:59 AM
I have been on THR for awhile now, and I remember the bad old days of the political forum. Without having to write essay, let me just say that it most certainly was not civil, rarely stayed on gun issues (when I came along, it seemed like 90% of the threads were about immigration), and was decidedly not High Road.

Here is what happens, virtually every time, with a political thread.

1. Somebody opens a topic and voices an opinion.
2. People respond until someone disagrees. This is usually between one to five posts after the initial post.
3. The disagreeable person is immediately attacked, but then more people start disagreeing. This is usually the first page.
4. Next, someone will compare something relatively minor to the Nazi's, the Soviet Union, Bosnia or something else far more extreme than is necessary for the topic at hand.
5. Then, someone will come along and say "hey guys, lets keep this civil". This advice will be roundly ignored. This is usually page two, and if it is a particularly juicy topic, this also represents maybe a half-hour of time from beginning to end.
6. Moving along, two or three people will start to dominate the thread, with each post getting more and more vindictive. Generally, at this point, entire 500 word posts are broken down and responded to sentence-by-sentence and people start talking about strawmen and red herrings.
7. By this point, it has become an all-out flame war, and the posts don't even remotely have anything to do with the opening topic, despite occasional pleas to keep it OT. OT is a distant dream at this point, friends.
8. Closed.
9. Cycle repeats, and moderators go crazier. Usually, after some fruitcake gets two or three threads locked, this is when they will post in technical about how the mods are jackbooted thugs seeking to demolish their first amendment rights, ask to be removed from the THR roll, and move on to flame somewhere else.

Now then, with that in mind, do you understand why we no longer have, and will likely (and hopefully) never again have a political forum? The above example is really not a joke, though I kept it lighthearted. Anyone who was around when political was open will tell you that I am pretty much right on target, with some minor variances here or there. Also, you can see why threads that lean in a political direction are shut down so quickly. It isn't some inherent desire on the part of the Mods to keep people from talking, it's years of watching posts go down in flames, over and over and over again. You get hit in the head with a hammer enough, you quickly learn how to avoid getting hit in the head with a hammer. Same thing with political threads.

exar
September 2, 2008, 10:57 PM
Not that it matters much since I came and still come here for advice and knowledge on firearms, I always thought the political forum was leagues above the rest on the intrawebz. Politics is always ugly but not so much here at THR. I liked it here but I can just go to APS or TFL or...ad nauseum.

Is it really that hard to click a mouse or with a few keystrokes find a site of your liking to discuss politics?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why can't folks follow the rules?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!