Magazine compatibility database

PDA

The Scandinavian
August 30, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hi

This is an idea that I've been toying with for a while...

How useful do people here think a central 'magazine compatibility' resource would be?

There must be many cases where particularly older weapons can't be tried out properly or used because over the years the original magazine has been mislaid.

In my own case, I have a MAB C pistol that has a fairly worn magazine - but noticed by trial and error that a Walther PPK magazine fits and functions perfectly with a tiny modification.

Also, while looking for a spare magazine for my Unique Ld .22, I found that the Unique D6 is the same pistol as the JC Higgins 85.

Here in Finland, I have seen several requests for spare magazines for the older soviet TOZ-17 .22 rifles. I'm sure that there must be more commonly available magazines that would work, as the original is very conventional looking, but there problem is finding out what ones to try

This got me to thinking that some kind of central resource could be a huge benefit in cases like this - but how to start? To create a place where people can post compatibilities that they have already found, or to try to record dimensions from as many magazines as possible, and try to work out compatibilities from there?

Any thoughts or ideas??

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine compatibility database" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 30, 2008, 12:23 PM
This about as close to it as I know of.

http://www.triplek.com/Pages/Magazines/

Their catalog is the encyclopedia of magazines.

The problem I see in trying to build your own database is, how do you know what works.

What is acceptable fit & function, or modification & tools necessary to "make it work" to me, may be totally unacceptable to the next person.

rcmodel

The Scandinavian
August 30, 2008, 01:01 PM
The problem I see in trying to build your own database is, how do you know what works.
Exactly ;-) It's not something that could be implemented overnight :)

What is acceptable fit & function, or modification & tools necessary to "make it work" to me, may be totally unacceptable to the next person.

Indeed. Any such compatibility listing should obviously clearly state what modifications if any are needed, but this wouldn't make the resource any less valuable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine compatibility database" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!